Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Gonzo's Avatar
Gonzo Gonzo is offline
It's however you interpret the question...
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMMCDXLV
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

I'm glad to be classed as a "trivial thing" once and for all! Huge load off my shoulders.
__________________
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

:thanked:
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
godfry n. glad's Avatar
godfry n. glad godfry n. glad is offline
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Puddle City, Cascadia
Gender: Male
Posts: XXMMCMXII
Images: 12
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Those people who tell some story, and it's about two different states, one which is hot and one which is cold, except they pick two states that both start with the letters M-I, and then I'm really tired or something and I guess I don't read whole words sometimes, so the story is really confusing and I have to read it for SIX WHOLE HOURS or something like that before I can tell what they're talking about.
Yeah.

And "infrastructure".

I'm all "WTF?"

It's about snow plows, isn't it? ISN'T IT?
__________________
:wcat: :ecat:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Tanda (02-16-2010)
  #103  
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Shelli's Avatar
Shelli Shelli is offline
ŧiggermonkey
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Springfield, MA
Gender: Bender
Posts: XLMMMCLXXIX
Blog Entries: 14
Images: 43
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

If you ask for someone and I tell you that he's at lunch and then ask you if someone else can help you or if you want his voice mail, that requires a response other than, "No, I need <said person>" because I, eh, just told you that he's unavailable. Duh? :facepalm:
__________________
:MMMM:
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 PM
lisarea's Avatar
lisarea lisarea is offline
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: XVMMCCXXVI
Blog Entries: 1
Images: 3
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

When you're tracking a package, and you watch it sit in some warehouse for days and days and days, and then, eventually, you hit reload again, and they're like NOW IT'S ON THE TRUCK! SCHEDULED FOR DELIVERY!

So you look out the window all day, and you're all like, "Oh, please Santa! Please come now!" and you wait and wait like a sad zoo monkey waiting for a guy to come around with your bananas.

Sometimes, I think maybe they shouldn't have package tracking at all, because it makes you crazy, and other times I think they should have a tracking chip on your package so you can be like a guy on TV and pull up some big map and watch some little red dot get closer and closer to your house until it IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE! One extreme or another would be OK, but this specific level of granularity is maddening.

Also, those other ways also maddening, but the grass is always greener.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-16-2010), Demimonde (02-16-2010), Gonzo (02-17-2010), Naru (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Ymir's blood (02-16-2010)
  #105  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Ymir's blood's Avatar
Ymir's blood Ymir's blood is offline
Coffin Creep
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The nightmare realm
Posts: XXXXCVIII
Images: 67
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

I'm waiting on a package sent from Georgia two weeks ago, or so. Last Friday it was in Greensboro, NC. :brooding:
__________________
Much of MADNESS, and more of SIN, and HORROR the soul of the plot.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010)
  #106  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM
BrotherMan's Avatar
BrotherMan BrotherMan is offline
A Very Gentle Bort
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bortlandia
Gender: Male
Posts: XVMLXV
Blog Entries: 5
Images: 63
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Georgia, Russia, amirite?

IN SOVIET GEORGIA PACKAGE TRACKS YOU
__________________
\V/_
I COVLD TEACh YOV BVT I MVST LEVY A FEE
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-16-2010), lisarea (02-16-2010), Naru (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Pyrrho (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Watser? (02-16-2010)
  #107  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 PM
lisarea's Avatar
lisarea lisarea is offline
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: XVMMCCXXVI
Blog Entries: 1
Images: 3
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Once, I ordered Maturin's main Christmas present in plenty of time, then watched as the package made it to our local distribution center, got on the truck for delivery, then...went back to the local distribution center, then put on a different truck to like Idaho or something for about a week, after which they sent it back to Colorado and then it came to our house sometime around New Years.

But then I complained about it, so we got it for free. Sad Christmas for Maturin, I guess, but it worked out for me because I didn't have to pay for his present. And after all, that's what really matters.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-16-2010), ceptimus (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Sock Puppet (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Ymir's blood (02-16-2010)
  #108  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Ymir's blood's Avatar
Ymir's blood Ymir's blood is offline
Coffin Creep
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The nightmare realm
Posts: XXXXCVIII
Images: 67
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Georgia, Russia, amirite?

IN SOVIET GEORGIA PACKAGE TRACKS YOU
Georgia, USA.

It's now saying that it went out for delivery today, but the mail has already been delivered. :brooding:
__________________
Much of MADNESS, and more of SIN, and HORROR the soul of the plot.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
ChuckF's Avatar
ChuckF ChuckF is offline
liar in wolf's clothing
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frequently about
Posts: XVMMMCMXLVI
Images: 2
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Until we live in a world where everyone knows how to use the ATM, why not have two ATM lanes? One functional ATM for people who know what they're doing, and another toy ATM for mouthbreathing idiots who just like pressing the buttons and reading what is on the screen. Yes, it is morning rush hour. Yes, there are a lot of cars backing up behind you while you try to roll over your 401(k) or whatever the fuck you are trying to do up there.

No, do not look back at the big line of cars behind you, because that will just cause you to lose your place and you'll have to start reading again. HELPFUL HINT: If it starts with "Deposits made after 2:00 p.m..." it doesn't apply to deposits made at 8 a.m. you stupid asshole. Press continue. If you're making a deposit, why not count it BEFORE you drive up the ATM?

Jesus Christ. If you need this much help to complete a transaction, there are people inside who can help you. Right there, in the same building. They will do all of the heavy lifting. You just tell them what you want and they will do it. None of this newfangled machinery to deal with at all. Maybe you should try that next time. Also, they don't care that you can't get close enough to the ATM to use it without having to open your door and unbuckle your seat belt and basically get out of your car so everybody gets a full-body view of the retard who is slowing everyone else down.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Potato (02-17-2010), Pyrrho (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010)
  #110  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Ymir's blood's Avatar
Ymir's blood Ymir's blood is offline
Coffin Creep
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The nightmare realm
Posts: XXXXCVIII
Images: 67
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Until we live in a world where everyone knows how to use the ATM, why not have two ATM lanes? One functional ATM for people who know what they're doing, and another toy ATM for mouthbreathing idiots who just like pressing the buttons and reading what is on the screen.
That would work just as well as 'Slow Moving Traffic - Keep Right' signs do.
__________________
Much of MADNESS, and more of SIN, and HORROR the soul of the plot.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (02-16-2010), curses (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Pan Narrans (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Watser? (02-16-2010)
  #111  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Potato's Avatar
Potato Potato is offline
You are number 6!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: There
Gender: Female
Posts: CXLI
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Whoever parks next to me in the garage should learn how to park their car straight. The parking spots are tiny. Their vehicle is not tiny. Parking so crooked that part of their back-end is in my spot is unbelievably frustrating. Thankfully, I don't drive a beast of a car or else it wouldn't fit.... and if it didn't fit in the spot I'm paying $50/month for, I'd have to do some kicking and yelling.

Move your car, person! It has been taking up space in my spot for a few days now! You're a selfish jerk!



On a completely unrelated note, I also get annoyed with people who tell me they "can't" do something when they really should just say "I suck and am lazy. Do it for me."
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 AM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMCCCXXI
Images: 147
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

not being thanked for being genuinely nice. i noticed that when i welcomed somebody back he went and thanked everybody but me. i know i shouldn't let it bother me, but i just noticed today while browsing and well...it bugged me. i shouldn't expect to get thanks and i actually HATE that weak feature, but i have tried to play ball...maybe that's my mistake and what's making me feel bad :chin:

anyhow, i don't often expect to be thanked here for my pov, but to not be thanked for welcoming somebody back and doing so genuinely...is a trivial thing that bothers me.

but hey- in the end it's my issue and i shouldn't be made weak by something i see as weak. i guess in the end the trivial thing that bothers me is actually my own triviality.
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller

Last edited by ZEZOZE; 02-17-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-13-2014)
  #113  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:44 AM
The Lone Ranger's Avatar
The Lone Ranger The Lone Ranger is offline
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXDXLI
Images: 523
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

A hypothesis: People might be reluctant to thank you because they think it's likely that you'll get snarky about it, instead of treating it as a genuine act of kindness/gratitude?
__________________
“The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.”
-- Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:48 AM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMCCCXXI
Images: 147
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
A hypothesis: People might be reluctant to thank you because they think it's likely that you'll get snarky about it, instead of treating it as a genuine act of kindness/gratitude?

i've never been snarky for a thanks...the petty human in me actually likes it. that's what bugs me about the thanks button! lol. i'm as nice to people here as i am mean to others. do i come off as some kind of snippy grump?

it's interesting hypothesis, but if you're correct...well i don't know!
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 AM
The Lone Ranger's Avatar
The Lone Ranger The Lone Ranger is offline
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXDXLI
Images: 523
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Well, FWIW, I've been reluctant to interact with you on a number of occasions for more or less exactly that reason. ...
__________________
“The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.”
-- Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMCCCXXI
Images: 147
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

and like i said...in the end it's my own triviality, my own normalcy in how i relate to the device that bothers me.

how i'm not really any different. i might go around saying that a lot, but it sucks when i have to apply it to myself :)
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMCCCXXI
Images: 147
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Well, FWIW, I've been reluctant to interact with you on a number of occasions for more or less exactly that reason. ...
well here we are dancing cheek to cheek...because the past never happened.
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Plant Woman Plant Woman is offline
Done
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: XMCLVI
Blog Entries: 2
Images: 26
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
A hypothesis: People might be reluctant to thank you because they think it's likely that you'll get snarky about it, instead of treating it as a genuine act of kindness/gratitude?
Past behavior that happens over and over again, is always a good indicator of future behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 AM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMCCCXXI
Images: 147
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
A hypothesis: People might be reluctant to thank you because they think it's likely that you'll get snarky about it, instead of treating it as a genuine act of kindness/gratitude?
Past behavior that happens over and over again, is always a good indicator of future behavior.
and yet i'm always willing to give you a break.

because really- what does it hurt?
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Corona688's Avatar
Corona688 Corona688 is offline
Forum Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: MVXXIX
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSOZAZ View Post
not being thanked for being genuinely nice. i noticed that when i welcomed somebody back he went and thanked everybody but me.
I thought you disliked the thanks system. There's posts of yours I'd have thanked, but was concerned you'd take that as ironic or something.

Unless some shitstorm or other happened behind my back and I didn't notice, you've lightened up a lot lately. s'appreciated.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Tanda's Avatar
Tanda Tanda is offline
winging it
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In limbo.
Gender: Female
Posts: MMCCCXXXVIII
Blog Entries: 2
Images: 5
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

You're all trivially annoying me.

:wink:
__________________
Brett Austin Jackson
October 9, 1998 - February 27, 2009
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (03-05-2010), Gonzo (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Ymir's blood (02-17-2010), ZEZOZE (02-17-2010)
  #122  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 AM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMMCCCXXI
Images: 147
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

i don't like it, but i'm flawed and a sucker like everybody else. it's really my issue. i've tried to play ball and i use it from time to time, but i still don't like the idea of it...and yet here i am annoyed at not being thanked.

my bag completely.
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Tanda (02-17-2010)
  #123  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Nullifidian's Avatar
Nullifidian Nullifidian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: MVCMXCVII
Blog Entries: 5
Images: 19
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Trivial things that annoy me:

Idiots.

Specifically, idiots who see the world in a conservative vs. liberal binary, and therefore treat me as the other whenever I disagree with them on any point, major or minor.

I'm sick of being taunted with Obama, Al Gore, Michael Moore, and Clinton when I disagree with a lolbertarian or a teabagger, and I'm equally sick of being treated like a Palin-junkie just because I happen to publicly disagree with a liberal.

The most recent manifestation of this was when Melissa Harris-Lacewell twittered an entry at a leftist blog I read regularly, writing, "Good to know that not everyone is excited about my new column in @TheNation." The implication that her elevation had annoyed conservative bloggers—which she may well believe herself, in which case she's also one of the idiots I'm complaining about—caused one of her Twitter "followers" (an apt name if there ever was one) to come over to this blog and object to a lack of "specifics", and diagnosed "petty jealousy" over MHL's promotion. He also introduced MHL's Princeton job as evidence of her intellectual heft, as if a merit class stamp of approval were all that were needed to silence all criticism. When criticism was not silenced, it was again because of "jealousy". All us poor, benighted failures with no academic achievements to speak of were simply trying to "disparage real intellectuals who have actually achieved something".

What, exactly, MHL has achieved was left unstated. Maybe it was her Nation column. Mission accomplished, eh?

But he certainly did have us pegged: "It's clear that most of you here are very conservative."

Note that this statement was made well after the following:

Quote:
I do so agree with you that the discourse has been dumbed-down on virtually all important topics, but I don't think this blog can take the blame for it. Instead, the dumbing-down happened in the pages of establishment newspapers and magazines like the New York Times and The Nation, where we were taught to take in the news that 12 civilians died, but not to ask why a missile guidance system that is supposed to be accurate up to one yard is blowing people 900 yards from the target away. Why, indeed, should we accept the logic of "collateral damage" as if "whoops!" were a sufficient defense for war crimes? When will one of these echt establishment organs ask what the difference is between targeting civilians deliberately and targeting "civilian areas" with guided missiles you know damn well don't hit their intended target 75% of the time?
That's me above. Apparently these are the things a teabagger would say. :facepalm:

I don't necessarily expect people to infer my exact political position from the first moment, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to be able to distinguish me from a right-winger when I say things like that.

The best part, though, was when he brought in a sock puppet named Sam whose first words were, "I have to agree with Bert." Later, Sam/Bert got a little mixed up, replying to one poster as Bert, and then correcting himself as Sam. Fortunately, Sam/Bert proved utterly beyond embarrassment, and came back even after his sock puppetry had become clear, which is how I found out that I'm really a deep-dyed conservative.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (02-17-2010), The Lone Ranger (02-17-2010)
  #124  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Pyrrho's Avatar
Pyrrho Pyrrho is offline
Man in Black
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Over here.
Gender: Male
Posts: MDXLVII
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

Yesterday a co-worker literally blew me a kiss after he approved my implementation of his piss-poor idea. He even smacked his lips.

:projectilevomit:
__________________
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
--
Official Bunny Hero :bugs:
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Shelli's Avatar
Shelli Shelli is offline
ŧiggermonkey
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Springfield, MA
Gender: Bender
Posts: XLMMMCLXXIX
Blog Entries: 14
Images: 43
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

People who take off their coat when they get to work, yet, continue to wear their scarf in the office. In this intance, our receptionist. Retard.
__________________
:MMMM:
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.84547 seconds with 14 queries