Old 10-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Forum Killer

Default Re: Miscellany

That picture is chock-full of 'orbs'. Maybye the vandal was also dead?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

They moved my cube today. :( I had the best cube. Now I have a horrible one.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
See, all I'm saying is just maybe things aren't going to work out that way this time. Not this time.

From that first day. I didn't even know the bastard. It was random. Everything was random. We sat next to each other because that's the order we came in. That's all. Nothing important. Nothing that doesn't happen every fucking day in every fucking configuration you could imagine. But, you know, the universe has a memory. It doesn't give a shit one way or another, but it remembers all the same. Every random seating assignment, every double-blind study, every randomly generated number writes itself into the fucking cosmos in indelible ink. You can't take this shit back.

So, yeah. Some random-generated double blind study decides that day which one of us gets to meet God and which one of us gets a fucking vitamin B shot. At first, you know, my cheeks go prickly and flushed, and he's fucking mesmerized. I could see him swelling with that heady combination of fear and envy, and I knew I had to reel him in then. Just at that moment. The moment his neural pathways are realigning themselves, I'm etching myself into his new life. It's me, baby. Yeah, it's me. Ego death is the moment you have to interject yourself. You're me, baby. Me. Yeah, baby, I know.

Later, he's telling me we can't buy extra-large eggs anymore because he was a chicken that day. We can't make them do that. Yeah, I know, baby. I know. I freeze into that placid knowingness I carved out as my domain all these years ago, stealing off for that niacin flush indelibly associated in his mind with enlightenment. My face is hot, but I need to remind him. I need to trigger him, convince him I'm something more than some sloppy second, also-ran, control group subject. Juanito is an afterthought. A speculation. A statistical probability. A genetic anomaly. Juanito can be erased. It's me, baby. Me.

So yeah. Yeah. Maybe it's not going to turn out this way this time. Maybe next time they come around for the followups, it won't be Maturin with his genes intermingled with history, but me. Maybe this time, I won't be the baseline or the red herring. Maybe I'm not just some MacGuffin after all.

I just need time. A week, ten days at most.
Beautiful. Gave me tunnel vision.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Clutchenheimer

Miscellany 1?

No, thanks. Prefer a handgun, myself.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Invincible Armour-clad Superhero

I was just walking past a TV with Terminator 2 playing, and it was at that scene where Sarah Connor is brassing up the house of Miles Dyson.

That is such a fucking cool scene, but I think it is way, way better than many people realise.

I read the screenplay before I saw the movie, and in book form you get a bit more of an insight into what she is thinking.

I don't know if the irony of the situation was a bit washed-out by the action of the rest of the film, but when she is ready to shoot Dyson and goes to pieces, she just realised she has become the thing she hates the most - a terminator.

A brilliant twist in the plot simply because you kind of subconsciously understand and support the idea of her killing Dyson to prevent a nuclear war. So you blindly walk right into that situation with her, and then when you step back and realise what she is doing you think "Hol-ee fuck she almost fucking killed that fucking guy".

And I thought that scene was cool in the book! But seeing Linda Hamilton walk across the yard cold as ice still gives me the chills.

If you never all caught that before, go back and watch it again.

Linda Hamilton really nails that scene 110%. Hot Damn that woman is badass in that movie! Awsomest female action character since Ellen Ripley.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Some workmen have the street all tore up and they said they're turning off the water from 9 to 3 to finish fixing something, but I don't believe that 3 thing. That kind of thing never comes true.

So, like, also: My sister and I have this pretend boyfriend who likes me better, and I guess he just flew into Hawaii for some nerd conference in time to get all earthquaked. So people are calling to tell me about that. He is fine, except that he is supposedly bored and they are telling him he can't leave the hotel.

I don't know shit about wireless networking, and I don't really want to.

I get this letter the other day saying they want to raise my homeowners' insurance rates because of "insufficient length of credit history," so I am also mad about that in like three or four different ways. I mean, that is obviously just fucking insane, but I have to deal with it anyway, don't I? I already called for a copy of the putative credit report, but now I have to call my insurance agent, too, because there's just no way that it's even mine they're looking at. If they'd said "insufficient credit history," I might entertain that because I am one of those bad "debt averse" Americans. But insufficient LENGTH? I've got their "insufficient length" right here, and I think they need to suck it.

Plus I have a whole bunch of work to do, but I don't feel like it!

POOR ME!
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Some workmen have the street all tore up and they said they're turning off the water from 9 to 3 to finish fixing something, but I don't believe that 3 thing. That kind of thing never comes true.
Did they say what day the 3 fell on?

During an urban widening project years ago, I was the inspector for a water/sewer contractor. They had to shut the water off to an office building for several hours to complete a connection. It didn't go well and the work had to be redone several times, leading to a lot of frustrated people.

That afternoon, the office manager came out several time demanding to know when she would be able to make coffee. Finally, one of the contractor's workmen, a 300+ lb man holding a large pipe wrench, snarled that it would be on when she 'saw water coming out of the tap.' She went back inside and never said another word.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood
Did they say what day the 3 fell on?
They were done by 1:00 or so. I only even knew because I forgot the water was supposed to be off and refilled an ice cube tray. Then, I was all like, "HEY!"

Oh, and my homeowners' insurance increase is $35 a year. It's just an excuse for across-the-board rate hike and a little redlining to sweeten the pot. But I'm still making TransUnion send me my credit report, plus I told the insurance company to send me a new copy of my policy. I have one, but I wanted to inconvenience them a little bit.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-17-2006, 06:53 AM

HotJobs sucks, so vote for Lou Dobbs instead of Oprah Winfrey in the upcoming presidential election.

The police broke my WebTVs from a message board.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-18-2006, 10:53 PM
California Sober

OMG lisa, did you finally start your own blog?!
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 AM
winging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb
They moved my cube today. :( I had the best cube. Now I have a horrible one.
Poor Crumb!! That sucks. :(
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Today is my Friday. Tomorrow night is my second Monday this week. Tonight I drown the thought of that in German beer at the Tulsa Oktoberfest.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 AM

There was a plagiarized letter in the Rocky Mountain News today, so I was searching for "Here is what we can expect if the liberals win," and one of my hits was from some aggregator.

Allow me to cut and paste:

"Here is what we can expect if the liberals win: · Free teen panty galleries"
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

It's cold this morning. I couldn't even sleep because I was cold. So I got up and turned on the heat. Later today I will maybe need the AC. My thermostat can only do one thing at a time, either heat or cool. I need to install one that I set the temp and it switches itself to keep that temp. I know they exist because I have had them in offices, but why aren't they ever installed in houses?
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
"Here is what we can expect if the liberals win: · Free teen panty galleries"
Makes sense. If the conservatives win it'd be: Free teen tighty-whitey galleries.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
It's cold this morning. I couldn't even sleep because I was cold. So I got up and turned on the heat. Later today I will maybe need the AC. My thermostat can only do one thing at a time, either heat or cool. I need to install one that I set the temp and it switches itself to keep that temp. I know they exist because I have had them in offices, but why aren't they ever installed in houses?
You mean one like this?
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod
Quote:
You mean one like this?

I don't know that I need one remote controllable via the web. The ones I have used in offices you simply set the desired room temperature and the system either turned on the heat, turned on the AC or shut off to maintain it.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 09:44 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I don't think you have to connect it to the web. I saw one site somewhere that had this iControl thermostat marked down from the usual $170 to $99. I think I'd pay that for one that does what it does.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-29-2006, 10:05 PM
A fellow sophisticate

This puppy is $209 without the remote control interface, $259 with.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 AM
go fish

Quote:
I don't know that I need one remote controllable via the web. The ones I have used in offices you simply set the desired room temperature and the system either turned on the heat, turned on the AC or shut off to maintain it.
There are simple ones that do this available at Home Depot and Lowes. I've always had a thermostat that turns on either AC or heat, depending on the set high and low temps. My houses didn't come with them, but I've never had a problem finding them in the stores and they are easy to install.

[ETA:
Just to be sure they are easy to find, I looked...
Here's one that only took a few clicks to find at Lowes.com for $59.
Hunter AutoSaver 550
The Lowes description doesn't give enough information, but the Hunter website says this model has what they call "Auto season changeover" that the owner's manual describes as
Quote:
When the System Selector is in AUTO position, the thermostat will automatically change between Heating and Cooling systems, depending on your program. We recommend keeping your programmed heating and cooling temperatures at least 4°F (2°C) apart to allow the Auto Season Changeover to occur when the appropriate temperature span has been reached. However, if your heating and cooling programs set temperatures are close, there is a built-in program to prevent the thermostat from changing unnecessarily.
So just look for the feature and I think you'll find it in a nearby hardware/warehouse store. ]

Last edited by pescifish; 10-30-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Admin

It took me about five minutes to fill out a form at Walgreen's online Saturday, the result of which was my prescription being transferred from Kroger and filled by Sunday morning. I love technology.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-30-2006, 05:15 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Thanks, pescifish, I'm going shopping at Lowes.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-30-2006, 06:55 PM

I can't find my regular belt so I am holding my pants up with one of the LM's old ones from when he was a kid. It has "DIVA" written all around it in little metal studs.

I really really really hope I don't forget I have it on and leave the house like this.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I can't find my regular belt so I am holding my pants up with one of the LM's old ones from when he was a kid. It has "DIVA" written all around it in little metal studs.

I really really really hope I don't forget I have it on and leave the house like this.

I'm sure that in conjuction with the watch and shoes people will think it a purposeful fashion choice. Why not carry your glass pitcher of coffee around with ya too, just so everybody gets it immediately?
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (01-03-2010)
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 PM
A fellow sophisticate

But, you ARE a Diva, lisapea.
Brimshack (01-03-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium