Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 PM
who?

Default The Pursuit of Anti-depression

The OP seems frames the pursuit of happiness in the context of modern pharmacology and epidemiology. In a sense, the question posed is: if we value happiness so much, why is clinical "unhappiness" on the rise?

In my opinion, the problem is a social issue. We have a society structured in such a way that amplifies the cycle of depression more than dampens it; and that dampens "happiness" more than amplifies it.

For example, for someone suffering depression, it is common to find social activity difficult. Instead of seeking real human interaction (ie face to face) we substitute phone conversations, IM chats, or posting on BBs such as this one. Not only do these forms of interaction support the cycle of depression but they are also downright easier than face to face interaction. Technology has made it easy to be depressed.

Apparently, I am lucky to find happiness as often as I do. In contrast to Denis Leary, I regularly find happiness in large doses. This has not always been the case for me. I have known long stretches of unhappiness and sometimes still slip into depression. However I feel, it often seems quite accidental.

Thus we may not be able to connect the Pursuit of Happiness to Attainment of Happiness. But I'm not so sure that makes the Pursuit inconsequential. Can there be other reasons we pursue a goal than the goal itself?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy