Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 04-09-2021, 06:40 PM
ChuckF's sock

Default Re: Instant Pot Sucks

I was going to get myself an instant pot in Feb for my Birthday - glad I changed my mind after reading the reviews here.

lisarea - does homemade yogurt taste better than store bought?

Random aside - The Mor-Man was in a road rage incident where people in a van pelted his Civic with yogurt tubes.

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-10-2021), JoeP (04-09-2021), lisarea (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
I was going to get myself an instant pot in Feb for my Birthday - glad I changed my mind after reading the reviews here.
A lot of people really do love theirs, and use them all the time, so don't go entirely on my word.

I just take exception to people making it a blanket recommendation, as though they can't imagine anyone doing things differently from them. They seem well made for what they are, and I believe the people who say it was life changing for them.

It's just that I don't really want or need most of the things it's programmed to do, and I am mad that I can't manually program it for what I do want. So mostly, I'm mad that people recommended it to me, including a couple of times directly. I probably would have loved mine if I got it when I was working all the time and raising a kid, but now I cook sort of as a hobby, so I want to be able to experiment and make my own adjustments.

Quote:
lisarea - does homemade yogurt taste better than store bought?
I think it does. I'm pretty lactose intolerant, so mostly the yogurt is for Matlock. I partly do it because it's a lot cheaper to make than to buy the fancy yogurts, but also because for some reason, I am super-into cultures and ferments. I don't know why, but I just get all excited about propagating different microorganisms to make food. It makes me feel like a witch or something.

Quote:
Random aside - The Mor-Man was in a road rage incident where people in a van pelted his Civic with yogurt tubes.
Daaaaaang! Having your Civic pelted with yogurt tubes is a pretty hecking Mormon thing to happen.
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-09-2021), Crumb (04-09-2021), Limoncello (04-10-2021), specious_reasons (04-11-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:37 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I don’t have experience with an instant pot, but it seems like one of those multi kitchen gadgets that does a set number of things that have been designed to work with it really well, and everything else just ‘ok’.

I think it also depends on if you like what a pressure cooker does to things, as a pressure cooker does change the texture and taste slightly.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:45 PM
puzzler

My old crock pot's lid handle failed a year or two back, and I 3D-printed a replacement. I only printed it in PLA plastic, and I was dubious if it would withstand the heat. It survived surprisingly well - probably a hundred or more slow-cooks, and a few tens of dishwasher cycles when the lid wanted more than a quick hand-wash.

But the 3D-printed handle cracked and slipped off a couple of weeks ago, fortunately without me dropping the lid. I 3D-printed a new replacement, this time in more heat-tolerant ABS plastic, and with a big steel reinforcing bolt hidden inside. It's a really bright orange handle (orange happened to be the colour of my current ABS spool). The orange contrasts nicely with the silver/glass/black finish of my crock pot - I bet the original designer would admit that it's a big improvement to the rather conservative design.

I'm confident that the new knob will outlive the rest of the crock pot, or me, whichever expires first.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:21 PM
ChuckF's sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post

Quote:
Daaaaaang! Having your Civic pelted with yogurt tubes is a pretty hecking Mormon thing to happen.
It was not for his religious affiliation... it was for his bad driving lol

Thanks, from:
JoeP (04-10-2021), lisarea (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 05:22 PM
ChuckF's sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I just get all excited about propagating different microorganisms to make food. It makes me feel like a witch or something.
From the moment I thanked my way in here... I felt your witchiness.

Thanks, from:
JoeP (04-10-2021), lisarea (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Solipsist

I'd say gaining entry to a forum via thanksing is pretty witchy too.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Limoncello (04-10-2021), lisarea (04-10-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink