Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 07-09-2018, 04:18 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

Unless I'm mistaken now that Ant Man and the Wasp is out and about in theaters, the Captain Marvel is the next Big Deal in the Marvel Universe. I feel like I need something else before we get to that. Unless the Captain Marvel is less universal than I'm thinking it's going to be.

Whup. Got ahead of myself there.

Ant Man and the Wasp is a lovely little romp. A fairly generous sorbet of local trouble to wash a little bit of that OH GOD EVERTHING IS GOING TO DIE out of your mouth before we jump back into it. Rudd is delightful. Evangeline Lily is p awesome. Michael Dougles is cantankerous. And Michael Pena is funny. You know, more of what you enjoyed about the first movie.

Nice. It was a nice fillum.

There's just the one mid-credits teaser to contend with this time.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (07-09-2018), slimshady2357 (07-09-2018), Sock Puppet (07-09-2018), The Man (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:34 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

As much as I'm enjoying everyone over here going apeshit for England in the World Cup - if you haven't heard, IT'S COMING HOME - I am OUTRAGED :madrant: that Ant Man and the Wasp has been delayed for a month because of the World Cup.

TOTAL RIPOFF.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:14 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I am truley sorry for your lots.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (07-09-2018), The Man (07-09-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

This made me smile: Thor Arrives In Wakanda
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-07-2018), The Man (08-07-2018)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Captain Marvel. No, not that one, the Marvel one.

The Marvel Captain Marvel is a weird property. The original dude is, uh, a dude and is otherwise fairly unremarkable. For that matter, the distaff counterpart then known as Ms Marvel wasn't any more popular. Both were kept in their own comics mostly to keep the copyrights in the Marvel stable.

At least until earlier this century. The Kree Captain Marvel died a death (allegedly but for real this time) and the once Ms Marvel eventually takes the name for herself. (Ms Marvel as a title is assumed by a new person, who is having a good success in the comics and will no doubt someday make it to the real big time.)

As such, there's no real singular through line or really solid identity for Captain Marvel - at least not as far as I can tell. Not like there is for the other Marvel Captain of America. Carol Danvers has been portrayed differently by different writers and with different motivations depending on the overarcing plot in which she appears.

So, it's almost a relief that Kevin Feige and the writers and directors of the MCU Marvel's Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers do a top to bottom rekajiggering of all of it. There's a lot of familiar stuff but thankfully the MCU Marvel's Captain Marvel is p much her own person not necessarily related to anyone else. And this is a very good thing.

Now then. After something like Infinity War the First and the anticipation for Infinity War the Second, Captain Marvel doesn't reach that level. Honestly, I don't think anything Marvel has done can match what that was about. But as a singular, relatively stand alone feature that had to drag you through a character's origin? Yeah, it's p good.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-12-2019), Ensign Steve (03-12-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-12-2019), slimshady2357 (03-12-2019), Sock Puppet (03-12-2019), The Man (03-14-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Bort is very smart.

I got to see Captain Marvel about 2 weeks ago with our daughter and really enjoyed it. I thought as a stand alone film it was as good as any other Marvel movie with the exception of Ragnarok and Black Panther. It was better than loads of them.

I watched it a second time with Sou today as she was keen to support a female lead Marvel movie. I have to say, I enjoyed it even more the second time. Sou really enjoyed it and felt like it was a better portrayal of a female super hero than had ever been done before, more realistic is what she said. She was so impressed she watched the credits at the end to see who the writers were and said they were pretty much 50-50 men/women.

I would watch this film again tomorrow, which says a lot I think.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:47 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

What really helps set Captain Marvel (the movie) apart from the other movies (whether in MCU or not) is that it's more about kinship than it is about relationship. Most of the course of the movie is the buddy cop thematically and how Carol worked or got along with the people in her life and no romantic entanglements. Nobody anywhere laments that missing element from this origin story.
Thanks, from:
Miisa (04-05-2019), slimshady2357 (04-04-2019), Sock Puppet (04-04-2019), The Man (04-04-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Marvel's The Avengers: Infinity War part 2: The Endgame

Well. It was a movie.

I happened to watch two things today that were, I guess, somewhat prescient. I won't reveal what they were openly. We'll see how I feel by the time I finish posting whether or not one or both end up behind spoiler tags. I'd rather try and get through this without it if I can. But, I probably won't because some of what I feel fits snugly inside at least emotional spoiler territory if not actual direct plot space.

There's approximately one quarter to one third of the movie that I wasn't a fan of. Most of the disfavor is pointed right at one character and the balance is directed to another. But both are sort of wishy-washy very nerd(rage) opinion with how the characters were developed up to and now through this point.

The rest of the movie is p solid. I will say in the movie's favor two things we've been waiting almost the whole time for did happen - both performed by one character.

I guess to give a gage on its goodness - better than Ultron but below both Infinity War (#2 spot) and the original Marvel's The Avengers. It was a great big balancing act (no pun hashtag thanos) that I think only the Russos could have pulled off, but ultimately I think there was too much to work with. Does that mean I think there could have been a third movie or could this one have been cut down? I dunno. There were some shenanigans I could have done without (that aren't related to my issues with character characterization).

So. Here's some stuff I'm going to stick behind a spoiler like I mentioned earlier.

So. There. It was a movie.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-29-2019), slimshady2357 (05-01-2019), The Lone Ranger (05-05-2019), The Man (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Tellifying

The Forum burped and I lost this lengthy post in response to my borther.

I'm too pissed right now to rewrite it.

Gimme a min.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Solipsist

wei yau! :faint:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-30-2019), The Man (04-29-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Gimme a min.
:twiddle:
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (04-30-2019), The Man (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Gimme a minimum of a week.
:fixed:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-30-2019), The Man (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Tellifying

I mislike disagreeing with my borther, so I won't. But, rather, I have a different perspective.

As a non-spoiler intro, I want to say that Endgame isn't only a sequel to Infinity War. More than that, it's a coda to the MCU films to date and a love letter to the fans whether they are fans of the comics or just the films themselves. The rest of this spoiler filled review is coming from this perspective

BrotherMan (05-01-2019), Crumb (05-07-2019), Ensign Steve (04-30-2019), erimir (05-01-2019), Kyuss Apollo (05-07-2019), Miisa (05-01-2019), slimshady2357 (05-01-2019), Sock Puppet (04-30-2019), The Lone Ranger (05-05-2019), The Man (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I'm :thanked: ing that poast even though I ain't clicking the spoiler, 'cause I haven't even seen Captain Fucking Marvel yet, let alone Avengers Motherfucking Endgame. Just because it heartens me to actually do both without worrying either will suck.

Oh, and because it's wei fucking yau. :inscrutable:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-01-2019), Ensign Steve (04-30-2019), Kyuss Apollo (05-07-2019), slimshady2357 (05-01-2019), The Man (04-30-2019), wei yau (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 PM
California Sober

thanksed now, read later

(I have seent the movie but I am working right now and I want to be able to give it my full attention)
BrotherMan (05-01-2019), The Man (04-30-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:40 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

wei yau is v smart and I agree with everthing he says. The only difference is in matters of degrees. While I'm giving the Marvel's the Avengers the Endgame a solid B, his grade is a little higher.

I enjoyed the things he enjoyed for p much the same reasons. I just had issues with a couple of things.

I got caught up with some of my speculation and didn't address the same things you did. I may ponder it some, but I think you're on the right track.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (05-01-2019), The Man (05-01-2019), wei yau (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Tellifying

Oh and about Far From Home

Old 05-01-2019, 03:49 PM

I finally got to see it and read the reviews here. I agree with a lot of what has been said. Especially this:
Quote:

As a non-spoiler intro, I want to say that Endgame isn't only a sequel to Infinity War. More than that, it's a coda to the MCU films to date and a love letter to the fans whether they are fans of the comics or just the films themselves.
There is a fair amount I can forgive in the movie because of that.

I would say I enjoyed Infinity Wars more, but that this was a pretty good end to a long list of movies.

My biggest complaint was

I think I agree with Bort that it's about a 'B', but I do need to see it again.

There are soooooooooooo many little nods to past movies in there. I enjoyed every one I caught.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:45 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Finally got around to watching Captain Marvel.

It was good, not awesome, and enjoyable. I like Brie Larson as Carol Danvers. Now I'm going to go back and read any spoilers in this thread...
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-23-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Spider-Man Far From Home

Though everyone/thing is still reeling from what they're calling in-universe "The Blip," the Spider-Man takes a good deep breath of regular life. Stakes are stakening and all Peter wants to focus on is being your Friendly Neighborhood level Spider-Man. But People keep dragging him off to bigger adventure(s).

What's to enjoy: Tom Holland. I liked Tobey McGuire as Peter-Man. Not every movie was great, but I always thought he was a good choice. Kinda the same about Andrew Garfield. He was fine choice - but I disliked the movies. But Tom? He's note perfect. The scripts he's getting are perfect. There's nothing not to love about that. (Except for the Movie Sin of ALWAYS REMOVING YOUR MASK.)

Peter's supporting cast: Especially Ned, his man in the chair. Kind of the Samwise of the gang. Not that Peter needs the help being tied to his peers or his neighborhood or being grounded. Being a teenager (or acting as one) keeps that duality alive by itself. But it's good that he has a "regular" friend who's in on the deal.

Much ballyhooed for being the non-ginger MJ Watson, Zendaya is a wonderful contrast to the mostly nerdy squares of Peter and Ned. I'm digging her as MJ. She and Tom have a great at being awkward kids new in love chemistry.

What's not to enjoy? Well, without going into spoilers - there are a couple of niggles that bug me. There are a couple of situations Peter is thrust into that I think didn't need to happen. He's given a gift from Tony, and because of super-techno-comic-magic of course it talks and one has to talk back to it - in a public setting and it causes shennanigans. And later in the movie Peter says a thing and it's worded awkwardly.

But all things considered, those are minor. It's a fine good film. Not a real sorbet as such, but there's some breathing room after the Big Deal.

There are two post credit scenes -one with Spider-Man and another with Fury and Hill. Neither are throwaways and tie directly to upcoming events.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (07-08-2019), slimshady2357 (07-10-2019), The Man (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:18 AM

You can't help but wonder if Marvel is sending a message of sorts, given their choice of Mysterio as a central character in Spider-Man: Far from Home. Those of you who are familiar with the comics know who Mysterio is, of course.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-08-2019), Ensign Steve (07-08-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-08-2019), slimshady2357 (07-10-2019), Sock Puppet (07-08-2019), The Man (07-08-2019), Zehava (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

That's not something I wanted to contemplate. I kinda still don't want to. I mean. I'm mostly positive about Jake as an actor. He seems nice and weirdly enough, Quenton is at least intelligent and charismatic and even knowing he was going to be the bad guy, I wanted to like him.

You know. P much all the opposite things of who you're talking about.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (07-10-2019), The Lone Ranger (07-09-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 PM

I agree: Gyllenhaal was brilliant as Mysterio, and very likable. You really wanted him to be exactly what he seemed to be.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-10-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), slimshady2357 (07-10-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

While the evil bad guy wasn't the central character, you could very easily be talking about

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (07-10-2019), The Lone Ranger (07-10-2019), Zehava (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM

I finally got to see it today.

It was enjoyable. Pretty much standard Marvel stuff, so it was up my alley enough that I enjoyed it. Some good chuckles, some great effects and of course Mysterio.

But it didn't wow me like Ragnarok, Black Panther or any of the Avenger movies. So a second tier movie in my opinion and not even as good as Homecoming, though not far behind.

I also really like Zendaya as MJ. I didn't realise she only has 1 name on IMDB, cool :D

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature