Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: Mafia Game Thread

but you are the one who put him at 1 vote. THAT is the action you need to explain.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Oh and be careful folks I am not sure how many votes bey has right now.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Taking someone to one vote away from a lynching isn't making sure they have a chance to claim, though. One scum or bandwagoner or confused noob throws the hammer and it's over. I don't see how you can say that's the proper thing to do, especially on the first day where anyone who claims paints a target on his back without ever getting a chance to use his power.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 AM

1. Crumb
2. Gonzo - 2 (Adam, Ensign Steve)
3. Kael
4. Megatron
5. Demimonde - 1 (beyelzu)
6. The Man
7. Deadlokd - 2 (Kael, Gonzo)
8. Ensign Steve
9. livius drusus
10. Adam
11. beyelzu - 4 (livius drusus, Demimonde, Deadlokd, Crumb)

Not Voting - (Megatron, The Man)
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Taking someone to one vote away from a lynching isn't making sure they have a chance to claim, though. One scum or bandwagoner or confused noob throws the hammer and it's over. I don't see how you can say that's the proper thing to do, especially on the first day where anyone who claims paints a target on his back without ever getting a chance to use his power.
Because you don't get a reaction earlier, we have one weapon our vote. You take people close to see how they react. The idea that I was fishing for special is ludicrous. I was fishing for reactions as I always do. I mentioned claiming because I wanted him to have an opportunity to claim, because I didn't want a special to die if he did happen to be special.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Nope its applying pressure.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 AM

And liv you should know better, most setups have a doc so there is at least one use of powers possible.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Yeah bey I think demi has got you on this.
You are wrong, though I doubt you will see it til I swing in the air.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
the internet says I'm right

Ok, I'll buy that argument. Let's see how you react.

unvote; vote: beyelzu
Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 AM

Um, gee thanks

:tmgrin:

Glad I could be so convincing.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 AM

Anybody on to go ahead and drop the hammer?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Ive explained why I fucked up, what I was trying to do. I don't know if I really have anything else to say.

:shrug:
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Quote:
Because you don't get a reaction earlier, we have one weapon our vote. You take people close to see how they react. The idea that I was fishing for special is ludicrous. I was fishing for reactions as I always do. I mentioned claiming because I wanted him to have an opportunity to claim, because I didn't want a special to die if he did happen to be special.
I find this rather suspicious. If a special roleclaims, the odds of the mafia targeting that person in the night phase are pretty damn high. Granted, there's always the possibility that the doctor will save that person over the night, but what if the special turns out to be the doctor? Why take that chance?

Moreover, is there really anything preventing a mobster from roleclaiming as someone potentially helpful to the town? All we have to go on is their word, and obviously the mafia has any motivation to lie about it.

I haven't seen enough to say you're definitively mafia, and at any rate there are some other people I also find kind of suspicious, but the reasoning you're throwing out here makes no sense whatsoever. If you can't come up with something more convincing, I may have to throw out my vote.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 AM

There is nothing stopping a false claim, I have done it on more than one occasion myself. Until the threat gets close, you often don't get much of a reaction. You take people close to see how they respond to get a read. Its how I always play. I also like to throw my vote around for similar reasons.

And you will never have enough to say someone is definitely mafia, well unless there is an outed cop who has had some good views.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Ok, I'll buy that argument. Let's see how you react.

unvote; vote: beyelzu
Join one bandwagon and then another, just a follower or a mafioso?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 AM

It is baffling to me that I am at n-1 and I am also the only one voting for demi, who seemed to know the number of mafia and then denied using the number.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Not as smart as Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post

I haven't seen enough to say you're definitively mafia, and at any rate there are some other people I also find kind of suspicious,
I would like to know more about this.

bey, Demi's 'slip' is a bit weird, but your actions are very bizarre for a townie.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 AM

At this point, Demi is probably the top suspect besides bey, for precisely the reasons you and bey mentioned. It could've just been an honest n00b mistake though that she wouldn't think to mention that "three mobsters" was just a speculation. Of course the odds of both of them being scum are pretty slim, unless they've masterminded the entire fight in the mafia forum.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 AM

I should add, though, that I find pretty much everyone suspicious to some extent or another. As I have no investigative ability I don't even have any way of verifying alliances, so I wouldn't consider anyone other than myself above suspicion at this point.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
California Sober

Quote:
It is baffling to me that I am at n-1 and I am also the only one voting for demi, who seemed to know the number of mafia and then denied using the number.
Halo effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... it has served me well in past games.

Anybody who says they've never heard of giving a good special a chance to claim before getting lynched is either lying scum or stupid noob.

unvote. vote: Demimonde
Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I am a good special, I am a roleblocker. I can pick one person a night and keep them from performing their night action. Interestingly, Im not a prostitute, though thats how I think of the role.

Also, liv is evil, I am pretty sure. She was stuck needing to defend demi and fucked herself up. Crumb might be and I am also suspicious of Kael.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
And liv you should know better, most setups have a doc so there is at least one use of powers possible.
You can't assume that. Besides, even if there is a doctor, you can't take for granted that he'll believe the claimant and protect him. Also, the claimant might be the doctor and he can't protect himself.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM

I needed to defend Demi? By that logic Deadlokd is mafia too, since I defended him more frequently and more definitively than I did her. Mind you, they could both be scum. I dunno. I'm unpacking people's accusations rather than shooting wild on the first day.

Anyway, so now you've roleclaimed. I'm still finding your justifications for pushing Deadlokd to a vote from a lynch somewhat contradictory and since I've had my vote on you from the beginning, I'm not inclined to change my aim. I will, however, for the sake of discussing this claim of yours, unvote.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
There is nothing stopping a false claim, I have done it on more than one occasion myself.
Quote:
I am a good special, I am a roleblocker. I can pick one person a night and keep them from performing their night action. Interestingly, Im not a prostitute, though thats how I think of the role.
:chin:

If you're not a prostitute, then what are you?

Despite giving him the stink eye here, I'm not quite ready to lynch bey. I like to push for a near lynch on day 1, too, so that part doesn't really bother me, but the self-contradiction in explaining his actions do.

Demi's slip was the first thing I flagged when reading her post but, honestly, I've been operating under the assumption that there are probably three scum, too. On the other hand, her "three? i never said three!" response was strange.

ES has been making a number of arguments that sound good, but aren't quite right and, as she is an experienced player, that sets my scumdar off. She's probably my top suspect at the moment.

Gonzo, seriously, are you there? You're either a useless silent townie, or else you're scum flying under the radar. Either way, my vote stays on you for the tim ebeing.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM

I'm beginning to think Gonzo's utter lack of interest indicates vanilla noob rather than scum laying low.

Kael, you've got 2 bandwagon votes (one of which took bey to L-1) and 1 explanation post. That's not exactly a pro-town ratio.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum