Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: I think we need a morons with guns thrad

More moron parents.

Tennessee 3-year-old shoots self with handgun left out | The Raw Story

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 AM

I'd quote from the article, but the title itself is sufficient.

Cops: Pa. Guard Shot Finger Trying to Remove Wedding Ring During Fight
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-20-2013), ImGod (03-20-2013), Janet (03-20-2013), SR71 (03-20-2013), The Man (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

lol dumbass

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (03-29-2013), Qingdai (03-30-2013), The Man (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Fishy mokey

That don't matter because a responsible firearm won't kill people.
BrotherMan (03-29-2013), Dingfod (03-30-2013), Janet (04-04-2013), Nullifidian (03-29-2013), Pan Narrans (03-30-2013), Stephen Maturin (03-29-2013), Stormlight (04-05-2013), The Man (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

If only that vehicle had a firearm of its own, it might never have happened.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-30-2013), BrotherMan (03-29-2013), Dingfod (03-30-2013), Janet (04-04-2013), Kael (03-29-2013), maddog (03-30-2013), Nullifidian (03-29-2013), The Man (03-29-2013), Watser? (03-29-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
The cat that will listen

I had to stop reading dkos about things like this because the incidence of 3 and 4 year olds shooting themselves with handguns. It just kicks me in the gut every single time, and it apparently happens a couple of times a week, every week. I don't know how a parent lives after that.
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-04-2013), Kael (03-30-2013), livius drusus (04-04-2013), Pan Narrans (03-30-2013), Qingdai (03-30-2013), The Man (03-30-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Fishy mokey

There are not many things that are not a threat to a responsible gun owner: Licensed gun owner says he killed 1-year-old Chihuahua for threatening him | The Raw Story
Adam (04-04-2013), Clutch Munny (04-04-2013), Crumb (04-04-2013), Janet (04-04-2013), Kael (04-05-2013), lisarea (04-04-2013), livius drusus (04-04-2013), Nullifidian (04-04-2013), Pan Narrans (04-05-2013), Stormlight (04-05-2013), The Man (04-05-2013), Ymir's blood (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
“This is a harsh reminder of responsibility,” Detroit Dog Rescue’s Dante Dasaro told WJBK. “If the dog was just simply on a leash and simply was on a leash to go outside, you know, the owner would have better control. No matter how this played out it was an unfortunately situation, and it really shouldn’t have happened.”
Uh...I don't think it's necessarily just the dog who could have benefited from "better control" in this situation. Maybe gun licenses should come with a leash.
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (04-04-2013), Crumb (04-04-2013), Janet (04-04-2013), Kael (04-05-2013), lisarea (04-04-2013), Nullifidian (04-04-2013), Pan Narrans (04-05-2013), Stormlight (04-05-2013), The Man (04-05-2013), Watser? (04-04-2013), Zehava (03-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Some morons:

Angakuk (04-05-2013), lisarea (04-05-2013), Nullifidian (04-05-2013), Stormlight (04-05-2013), The Man (04-05-2013), Watser? (04-05-2013), Ymir's blood (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:52 PM

That's a pretty horrible video. I understand why they shot the poor cow (presumably the risk to drivers if the thing is allowed to cruise around loose on the road), but damn! Just some very basic animal handling would have served everyone far better, and they wouldn't have had to kill the poor cow, much less do such a sorry job of it (head shot, dudes--I know you're trained to shoot center mass, but for something like a cow that's not attacking or shooting back, head shot right behind the eyes). Doing it "right" would still be pretty horrible though.

That did really suck to watch though. After the first attempt to shoot the poor thing there was still hope it would be more or less okay with some medical attention, but that was quickly shot all to hell.

I've seen a similar video of a smallish, friendly dog being shot and killed by a cop during a traffic stop. Completely unnecessary and uncalled for, but the cop was also more than likely doing exactly what he was trained to do.

If the police are going to be entrusted with lethal weapons while dealing with the public, they need to be better prepared to actually deal with the public and the associated vagaries, like animals. Doesn't seem like some basic animal behavior and handling training would be all that difficult to manage, and completely aside from the well being of animals it seems merely preventing the PR damage these kinds of incidents/videos do to law enforcement would be more than worth it. Shooting peoples' animals this casually, particularly during a traffic stop also creates a far greater likelihood of trouble.
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-05-2013), lisarea (04-05-2013), Nullifidian (04-05-2013), The Man (04-08-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

We have a bill in the legislature right now that would do just that!

Police dog-handling training will help officers - and dogs - The Denver Post

Also, I have not played this and probably won't, but it looks p. cool:

Best Amendment: a game that plays out consequences of fighting bad guys with guns with good guys with guns - Boing Boing
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-05-2013), Janet (04-05-2013), Nullifidian (04-05-2013), The Man (04-08-2013), Ymir's blood (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

A couple of years ago, during dear season, a badly wounded dear wandered up on my parents place. They normally stay away from houses, but my parents don't have a dog and they have a tree line that made for good hiding. Dear will sit down in the tall grass and trees.

My dad called the game warden who relayed to the Sheriff becuase he's busy during that time of year. A Deputy came out to assess the animal and decided without a front foot that it needed to be put down. It was small and younger so they think it got hit on accident.

The Deputy was an absolutely terrible shot. After 5 shots, my Dad asked if he needed help. So the Deputy handed over the rifle he was using and my Dad shot the dear in the head for him.

I'm not sure local Sheriff's Department has training on how to handle animals or firearms. I'm almost certain "hand your gun over to a civilian who's a better shot" isn't in the training manual.
Dingfod (04-09-2013), Nullifidian (04-05-2013), The Man (04-08-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
We have a bill in the legislature right now that would do just that!

Police dog-handling training will help officers - and dogs - The Denver Post
Excellent!

The more widespread that goes, the better!

Quote:
Funny, but in all seriousness the game is a model for a rather extreme form of vigilantism, not self-defense, which is the actual anti-control argument.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticX View Post
Quote:
Funny, but in all seriousness the game is a model for a rather extreme form of vigilantism, not self-defense, which is the actual anti-control argument.
That's the opposite of the point.

Quote:
The catch: Their behavior is totally determined by your actions in previous levels. If you hang out near a wall and spray a machine gun wildly, on the next level there will be a new bad guy who does the exact same thing, and you’ll have to shoot him with a bazooka or shotgun or whatever the game has armed you with.

The result is an exponential increase in violence from level to level. The game has no set limit on the number of levels, and eventually you’ll be overwhelmed and destroyed by the perpetually repeating actions of one of your past selves.
You could actually make a pretty coherent argument that that is not a natural progression of violence, because the standard anti-control argument is that the good guys will always outnumber the bad guys.

But I am OK with countering silly arguments with other silly arguments, so that doesn't bother me.
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-05-2013), Nullifidian (04-05-2013), The Man (04-08-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's the opposite of the point.
Maybe in theory, but not the way the game is set up. If you're actively going after bad guys that's vigilantism, not self-defense. A sound self-defense game would give the highest points to the player who could most effectively avoid violent encounters, or who most limited the violence necessary to prevent personal harm by an aggressor (limited mostly meaning in the context of limiting victims of the aggressor, the aggressor suffering violence is a secondary concern at best). The game says it's about shooting the bad guys, but the "good guy with a gun" argument isn't about going out to shoot bad guys, it's about having a means of shooting a bad guy if all else fails. That's a fundamental tactic of self-defense that many anti-gun types don't get (and I'm trying to use "anti-" for either side's more extreme elements--by contrast I use "pro-control" and/or "pro-gun rights" for the more rational types on either side).

Quote:
Quote:
The catch: Their behavior is totally determined by your actions in previous levels. If you hang out near a wall and spray a machine gun wildly, on the next level there will be a new bad guy who does the exact same thing, and you’ll have to shoot him with a bazooka or shotgun or whatever the game has armed you with.

The result is an exponential increase in violence from level to level. The game has no set limit on the number of levels, and eventually you’ll be overwhelmed and destroyed by the perpetually repeating actions of one of your past selves.
You could actually make a pretty coherent argument that that is not a natural progression of violence, because the standard anti-control argument is that the good guys will always outnumber the bad guys.

But I am OK with countering silly arguments with other silly arguments, so that doesn't bother me.
What's being described there, though, is more like modern conventional warfare than self-defense--two sides intent on engaging the other (the enemy) with lethal intent based upon a given set of criteria (the rules of engagement) amidst a collateral/non-combatant population. The goal is to engage and win with as little collateral damage as the situation permits. In self-defense the goal is to engage only if avoidance and deterrence fail, and to disengage and evade at any good opportunity. Further, a secondary goal of engaging the aggressor is to create such an opportunity (i.e. the primary goal is to make the aggressor cease aggression, period, but escape and evasion is a very desirable means of accomplishing that).

The "good guy with a gun" schtick as argued in the wake of Newtown is specifically about very rare scenarios in which effective intervention is clearly desirable (i.e. "neutralizing" a shooter trying to kill children in a school), and it sounds like this game is trying to superimpose that defense model onto a standard day-to-day context. The two scenarios don't match up very well though. The result of exponentially escalating violence isn't surprising if vigilantes go after violent criminals in a conventional warfare modus operandi, it just has little at all to do with anything anyone is actually advocating here--it's just not pertinent to what's really going on. It's a lot like the NRA's "gun bans" and "gun grabber" dogmas in that sense.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
The game says it's about shooting the bad guys, but the "good guy with a gun" argument isn't about going out to shoot bad guys, it's about having a means of shooting a bad guy if all else fails.
Perhaps in sane land, but here in America we ain't sane.
Just take a look at the Zimmerman case, backed by the crazy-pro-gun crowd, who was actually out hunting for bad guys.
Thanks, from:
The Man (04-08-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Quote:
The game says it's about shooting the bad guys, but the "good guy with a gun" argument isn't about going out to shoot bad guys, it's about having a means of shooting a bad guy if all else fails.
Perhaps in sane land, but here in America we ain't sane.
Just take a look at the Zimmerman case, backed by the crazy-pro-gun crowd, who was actually out hunting for bad guys.
I'm not saying the argument includes the allegation that vigilantism doesn't happen or even that the argument isn't misused to defend it, only that it's not a valid issue to defend using the argument/it's not an issue the argument is reasonably used for, and that it's not (at least officially/publicly) how the NRA (et al) uses it. The NRA offers plenty to be criticized without stretching or manipulating their position and compromising your own argumentative credibility.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

So yesterday? Some sort of humans vs zombies nerf gun battle week at URI led to someone to think that someone else had an actual gun on campus. That folks there acted on the side of caution with evacuations, lock-downs, cancelling classes, etc., is understandable.

Less understandable was that nearly 20 miles away, the secondary school campus I am at went into lock-down as well, replete with cryptic emails from central administration that did nothing but freak everyone out. Spent the first ten minutes of the last class of the day, in lock down, going way off topic and talking the students down from all the anxiety the situation caused.

Can only imagine what this would have been like if only the NRA's "armed volunteers" could have been there too, patrolling the hallways to do that voodoo that they do...

Thanks, from:
Ari (04-06-2013), Crumb (04-05-2013), Janet (04-05-2013), lisarea (04-05-2013), Nullifidian (04-05-2013), Pan Narrans (04-05-2013), Stormlight (04-08-2013), The Man (04-08-2013), Watser? (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuss Apollo View Post
So yesterday? Some sort of humans vs zombies nerf gun battle week at URI led to someone to think that someone else had an actual gun on campus. That folks there acted on the side of caution with evacuations, lock-downs, cancelling classes, etc., is understandable.

Less understandable was that nearly 20 miles away, the secondary school campus I am at went into lock-down as well, replete with cryptic emails from central administration that did nothing but freak everyone out. Spent the first ten minutes of the last class of the day, in lock down, going way off topic and talking the students down from all the anxiety the situation caused.

Can only imagine what this would have been like if only the NRA's "armed volunteers" could have been there too, patrolling the hallways to do that voodoo that they do...
Guns are good. So why would someone having one cause a lockdown? (Even if it was a fake one.)

I'm confused now.

If everyone is supposed to buy one, get a carry permit, and take it with them to protect themselves; won't freaking out about it be counterproductive.

It would be like locking the school down because a kid wore shoes to class. Now brining aspirin to class, fuck no. Don't do that.
Ari (04-06-2013), Clutch Munny (04-06-2013), Janet (04-05-2013), Kyuss Apollo (04-07-2013), Nullifidian (04-06-2013), Pan Narrans (04-06-2013), Qingdai (04-06-2013), The Man (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM

3-year-old fatally shoots deputy’s wife with his gun at Tennessee cookout | The Raw Story

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (04-09-2013), Janet (04-17-2013), Kael (04-09-2013), lisarea (04-08-2013), Nullifidian (04-09-2013), Watser? (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

At last the three year olds get revenge, just wait until one gets a drone.
ceptimus (04-09-2013), Clutch Munny (04-09-2013), Janet (04-17-2013), lisarea (04-08-2013), Nullifidian (04-09-2013), Pan Narrans (04-09-2013), The Man (04-08-2013), Watser? (04-08-2013), wildernesse (04-09-2013), Ymir's blood (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
A cookout in Tennessee ended in tragedy over the weekend when a
A: Gunshot rang out
B: Fistfight started
C: Aunt/Uncle found the liquor cabinet
D: "Watch this, y'all"
D: Vols lost
E: Vols won
F: All of the above

Quote:
Helm also said that alcohol was being consumed at the cookout.
:yeahthat:
Adam (04-09-2013), BrotherMan (04-09-2013), Janet (04-17-2013), lisarea (04-09-2013), Nullifidian (04-09-2013), Pan Narrans (04-09-2013), The Man (04-09-2013), Watser? (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Sounds like a hit to me.

Get everyone liquered up, lay out some guns on the bed, and have a coached up 3 year old "play guns" with your wife.

I wonder if they checked the kid for candy during the investigation.
Nullifidian (04-09-2013), The Man (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Helm also said that alcohol was being consumed at the cookout.
Had it been Marijuana
the 'gang' gathering would have all been arrested for murder.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-09-2013), Janet (04-17-2013), Nullifidian (04-09-2013), Pan Narrans (04-09-2013), The Man (04-09-2013), wei yau (04-09-2013), Ymir's blood (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM

I really wish I could stop seeing stories like this. Some parents are apparently too immature to handle either guns or children.

4-year-old New Jersey boy shoots 6-year-old playmate in the head | The Raw Story

The 6-year-old is in critical condition.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (04-09-2013), Nullifidian (04-09-2013), Pan Narrans (04-09-2013), Watser? (04-09-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law