Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Animal hoarding and welfare and stuff

PETA. Fucking PETA. People need to understand that this is what they do:

The Theft & Killing of Maya
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-12-2015), Ari (01-12-2015), But (08-16-2016), Crumb (01-12-2015), Ensign Steve (01-12-2015), Janet (01-14-2015), JoeP (01-12-2015), LadyShea (03-25-2015), livius drusus (01-12-2015), Pan Narrans (01-12-2015), slimshady2357 (01-12-2015), Sock Puppet (01-12-2015), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 01-12-2015, 04:59 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

:whatthefuck: What possible good do they think they are doing?
LadyShea (01-13-2015), slimshady2357 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:19 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

This article sheds a little more light:
Quote:
According to the prosecutor, PETA workers were at the trailer park picking up strays at the request of a nearby landowner, who said dogs from the park had ripped up the udder of his milking cow, killed a goat and terrorized his rabbits.
But come on!

Quote:
Godwin, the sheriff, is also frustrated with the prosecutor, Gary Agar. Godwin said he has "no idea" why Agar dropped the charges: "We can't figure it out."

Initially, Agar would say only that he wasn't "satisfied that the evidence is capable of showing criminal intent beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't feel I have to explain it. It only invites argument, and I'm not going to debate my opinion."

On the day of the protest, however, he issued a two-page statement that said Maya had no dog tag and had, at times that day, been off the porch. To convict on criminal intent, Agar wrote, prosecutors would have to prove the women knew they were "stealing property." Instead, it's "more probable" they believed "they were gathering animals that posed health and/or livestock threat."
IT WAS A FUCKING CHIHUAHUA! And they knew it wasn't a stray, so WTF?

Quote:
Cerate and his supporters aren't satisfied with that. They can't imagine how anyone could consider a Chihuahua - average weight: 4 to 6 pounds - a danger to livestock.
This whole thing is really fucked up, I never knew PETA did anything like this or that they even just rounded up strays and executed them!

Quote:
PETA euthanizes nearly 90 percent of the animals it takes in, a rate often criticized by other animal groups. PETA defends its practices, referring to itself as a shelter of last resort - a place that provides a merciful death for animals too sick, old or otherwise unfit for adoption.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-12-2015), Janet (01-14-2015), livius drusus (01-12-2015), Sock Puppet (01-12-2015), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
This whole thing is really fucked up, I never knew PETA did anything like this or that they even just rounded up strays and executed them!
You should check out "Pen & Teller's Bullshit" on PETA, it's one of the few episodes they said surprised them because they didn't realize just how fucked up PETA was. As an example, the cultesque leader and creator has talked with glee and excitement about the first time she broke into a shelter and strangled a bunch of animals with her bare hands to 'save them.'
Thanks, from:
But (08-16-2016), Crumb (01-12-2015), Janet (01-14-2015), LadyShea (01-13-2015), livius drusus (01-12-2015), slimshady2357 (01-12-2015), Sock Puppet (01-12-2015), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Yeah, the types of things PETA and a lot of other animal rights groups do and say are so extreme and so counter to what people think their mission is that just drily, factually recounting them can actually make you sound unhinged. And then, for those who think there are two sides to the story, some people on the anti-PETA side are actually kind of unhinged or evil.

Nathan Winograd is a really good, credible source, though. He has lots of really solid experience and expertise in animal welfare, and he documents everything.
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-12-2015), Crumb (01-12-2015), Janet (01-14-2015), LadyShea (01-13-2015), livius drusus (01-12-2015), slimshady2357 (01-12-2015), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 PM

OH BOOM POW. PETA just got told by Delaware!

Delaware Tells PETA to Stop Lying : Nathan J Winograd
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-24-2015), Crumb (03-24-2015), Dingfod (03-25-2015), Janet (03-24-2015), LadyShea (03-24-2015), Nullifidian (04-15-2015), Sock Puppet (03-24-2015), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Phallic Philanthropist

I think in PETA's twisted logic all domesticated animals are better off dead than kept, even if it's a family cat or dog that is well treated and cared for. They see death as preferable to suffering and they think that all "kept" animals are suffering. I doubt many of their supports realize this.
They are very careful not to say it but you can see how they really feel in their own words. Animal Rights Uncompromised: 'Pets' | Uncompromising Stands on Animal Rights | About PETA | PETA
Ari (04-15-2015), But (08-16-2016), Crumb (03-25-2015), Janet (03-26-2015), LadyShea (03-25-2015), lisarea (03-25-2015), Nullifidian (04-15-2015), The Man (08-15-2016), Zehava (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce comes out swinging against PETA for anti-shearing campaign - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-15-2015), lisarea (04-15-2015), livius drusus (04-15-2015), Nullifidian (04-15-2015), The Man (08-15-2016), Zehava (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

PETA is so fucking perverse. It's like the lamb version of the anti-abortionist signs, only at least some of those are actual fetuses rather than dolls slathered in red corn syrup.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-15-2016), Crumb (04-15-2015), Dingfod (04-18-2015), Janet (04-15-2015), LadyShea (04-15-2015), lisarea (04-15-2015), Nullifidian (04-15-2015), The Man (08-15-2016), Zehava (04-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 AM

Hey, I am resurrecting this thrad.

We have a purebred English lop bunny in the shelter right now. He looks much like some of the bunnies on this breeder's site.

So you're probably looking at those bunnies and thinking to yourself, "How do they walk without tripping on their ears?"

The answer is, "They don't."

The guy we have is a sweet, good tempered bunny. He is friendly, he is nice. And he is profoundly disabled. He requires all kinds of special accommodations just so he can eat and move around. He cannot use a regular litter pan. He cannot eat or drink normally, out of regular bowls.

Today, we took him out and put him in his newly cleaned pen, and at first I thought he was having a seizure or something. But then I watched more closely, and he was just excited about his new toys and stuff and was trying to do binkies but cannot walk or jump or play without tripping over his oversized ears that drag on the ground. (This is binkies. (I did not make up that word.))

But he can't, because a bunch of assholes thought it would be cute to breed intentionally disabled bunnies. Like Geek Love, except with bunnies, and not fiction. He cannot do anything he wants or needs to do in any normal way. He is extremely disabled, and he was intentionally and explicitly bred that way by someone who obviously couldn't be fucked to even take care of him.

Also, we are incredibly understaffed and overworked right now because some assholes got tired of their bunnies and just released them into their neighborhood. The bunnies are a male/female pair, and you will be shocked to learn that these people neglected to get them neutered, so now there are reportedly 40 something loose bunnies (SO FAR). So many of our volunteers are driving out and catching those bunnies, so they can be neutered and get other medical care for the injuries they've suffered from other people in the neighborhood throwing rocks at them.

Seriously, fuck fucking pet breeders. I don't want to see any cute videos of some fuckhead breeder making dogs or cats or ANYTHING anymore, because it's fucked up and it's not cute and they're fucking shithead children making everyone else clean up after their fucking messes.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-15-2016), Ari (08-15-2016), Crumb (08-15-2016), curses (08-15-2016), Janet (08-20-2016), JoeP (08-15-2016), livius drusus (08-15-2016), slimshady2357 (08-15-2016), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

One of my bunnies was a show rabbit reject, he was quite nice and looked just fine but for some odd reason he wasn't show quality and was going to be killed if not adopted.

In a similar vain, I've learned that Chinchillas have super strict dietary requirements because of breeders selecting the fluffiest and cutest chinchillas from a small batch and interbreeding them, ignoring their other needs.

Along with that, never ever buy rats from a pet store, always adopt. PetSmart is the number one asshole for abusive rat breeding. Killing thousands of pet ratties who don't live up to standards or get bought.
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-20-2016), lisarea (08-15-2016), livius drusus (08-15-2016), slimshady2357 (08-15-2016), The Man (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Also, we are incredibly understaffed and overworked right now because some assholes got tired of their bunnies and just released them into their neighborhood. The bunnies are a male/female pair, and you will be shocked to learn that these people neglected to get them neutered, so now there are reportedly 40 something loose bunnies (SO FAR). So many of our volunteers are driving out and catching those bunnies, so they can be neutered and get other medical care for the injuries they've suffered from other people in the neighborhood throwing rocks at them.
I feel your pain. Allow me to suggest this as at least a partial solution to your dilemma. Keep up the good work and keep the faith baby!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Could cropping the ears be a solution?

I don't really like it when I see dogs with cropped ears, but they do that for aesthetic reasons...
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-20-2016), lisarea (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 08:01 PM

Eating rabbits doesn't bother me, and in my experience, the only people really bothered by it at the shelter are the vegans.

If those people had, when they couldn't or didn't want to care for their pets, chosen to humanely kill and eat them, I would be OK with that. I'd think it was personally weird, but that's what farm people have been doing forever. My mom grew up doing that. It's considerably more humane than buying meat in a grocery store, which is something I often do.

What I have a problem with is what those people did. They presumably kept those original rabbits as pets, teaching them to trust and rely on humans and raising them in a controlled environment, providing food, water, grooming, and shelter, and then they just kicked them out to get by on their own as soon as they got tired of them. Also, they have introduced a large population of non-native animals into their area, knowing that they are most commonly kept and sold as pets. I am pretty sure they released them into a regular, residential neighborhood, so it's not like hunters are going to get them. I'm sure that coyotes and hawks and other predators are getting at least some of them, but you can't just introduce non-native animals, especially such fast reproducing ones, without having it mess a lot of things up.

The predators generally get by on native cottontails, prairie dogs, ducks and geese, and the occasional pet*. Domestic bunnies are usually a lot larger than wild cottontails, and they have fewer defenses. They're much less skittish overall, to the point that many of them barely act like prey animals at all. Many of them cohabitate peacefully with prey animals like dogs and cats. They're also generally slower and less camouflaged, so they really kind of stand out. Domestic bunnies are frequently bred to be bright white, which is possibly the worst color for a prey animal in a non-arctic climate.

So those bunnies are fucked. The ecosystem there is fucked. You can't poison them or send hunters out whizzing bullets around a neighborhood. They don't have the sort of animal control resources to trap or even kill them all humanely (which raises a lot of other humane concerns, because if you catch new mothers, you leave litters of baby bunnies to slowly starve to death). The best option left, then, is that people who volunteer for a non-profit shelter, most of whom have pet rabbits and care very much for them, come in and try to rescue them. You cannot ask these people to go in and kill these animals who look like their pets. And remember, most of them are considerably more dedicated than the average pet owner, and have devoted a lot of their time, money, and other resources to caring for domestic rabbits.

I mean, I get that it was a joke. It's actually a pretty common 'edgy' joke around the shelter among volunteers to suggest eating them. When I've talked about it with other people there, most of them don't eat rabbit, but that's just because a) it would feel a little squidgy, after working with them so much, and b) it's pretty easy to abstain from rabbit where we are.

But this situation is deeply and genuinely fucked up on almost too many levels to count.

* Coyotes got our next door neighbor's cat last week.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2016), Ari (08-15-2016), BrotherMan (08-16-2016), Janet (08-20-2016), livius drusus (08-16-2016), slimshady2357 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Could cropping the ears be a solution?

I don't really like it when I see dogs with cropped ears, but they do that for aesthetic reasons...
I was wondering about that, too. It seems to me it'd be worth the cost and the risk of anesthesia, especially if he were going under for anesthesia anyway. He is really messed up.

I was discussing it with some little girls who were visiting, and we thought maybe scrunchies, too.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-16-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:40 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Snaps on the flaps. Probably not more traumatic than punching holes in a cow's ears for tags. A row of snaps along the midline of the pinnae, and they can be snapped together over the back to keep them out of the way.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-16-2016), Janet (08-20-2016), JoeP (08-16-2016), lisarea (08-16-2016), livius drusus (08-16-2016), The Man (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Eating rabbits doesn't bother me, and in my experience, the only people really bothered by it at the shelter are the vegans.

If those people had, when they couldn't or didn't want to care for their pets, chosen to humanely kill and eat them, I would be OK with that. I'd think it was personally weird, but that's what farm people have been doing forever. My mom grew up doing that. It's considerably more humane than buying meat in a grocery store, which is something I often do.

<snip>

I mean, I get that it was a joke. It's actually a pretty common 'edgy' joke around the shelter among volunteers to suggest eating them. When I've talked about it with other people there, most of them don't eat rabbit, but that's just because a) it would feel a little squidgy, after working with them so much, and b) it's pretty easy to abstain from rabbit where we are.
When I met Mrs. Angakuk she was raising rabbits in her backyard for meat. She also had a few chickens for the eggs. I asked her why she raised rabbits and didn't just raise more chickens for the meat. She said that plucking chickens was just too much work and it was a lot easier to skin rabbits. So we ate rabbit.
JoeP (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 06:12 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
I was discussing it with some little girls who were visiting, and we thought maybe scrunchies, too.
Something like this was my first thought. Not a scrunchie exactly, but a loose-ish rubber band. Tight enough to hold the ears up and back but not tight enough to affect blood flow or anything.
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-20-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 PM

I was back there yesterday, and first thing, they just discovered he's also completely deaf. Apparently, that's pretty common. I never saw them, but I guess a few years ago, they got a few English Lops in, and all were so disabled they were immediately sent home with one of the volunteers who has the knowledge and resources to care for them. The whole breed is defective.

Also, apparently, they tried the scrunchies, but as his head is so big (also bred that way), piling his ears on top threw him completely off balance, and he fell over and couldn't get back up. And the vet said they can't crop the ears because there are just too many veins running through them to work around.

He's just going to need special accommodations his whole life, and even with that, he'll never get to do things the way a non-disabled bunny does.

I mean, if we're going to talk about killing anyone to eat, what about the breeders who do this on purpose?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2016), Crumb (08-16-2016), Janet (08-20-2016), JoeP (08-17-2016), livius drusus (08-16-2016), slimshady2357 (08-16-2016), The Man (08-16-2016), Vivisectus (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I would happily eat some English Lop breeder steaks. Also, I would eat sausage made out of people who breed munchkin cats. Assholes.

Edit: though probably not their assholes.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2016), Janet (08-20-2016), JoeP (08-17-2016), lisarea (08-16-2016), livius drusus (08-16-2016), Pan Narrans (08-16-2016), S.Vashti (08-17-2016), slimshady2357 (08-16-2016), Stephen Maturin (08-18-2016), The Man (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 PM

If you leave out the assholes what are they going to make the sausages out of? Isn't that one of the principle ingredients in sausage?
Vivisectus (08-16-2016)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 PM

I have read this thread thoroughly and understand it is old, yet still wish to reply because Nathan Winograd has a very good article today about pit bull discrimination.

The Ugly Racist Underpinnings of Pit Bull Laws

I keep thinking this stupid, evil idea is finally on its way out, but it keeps popping back up, and yes, often quite racistly.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-16-2017), BrotherMan (09-13-2017), Crumb (09-12-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-12-2017), slimshady2357 (09-13-2017), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2017), The Man (09-12-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

(I'm really glad pea revived this thrad so I didn't have to click the old thrad warning.)

People who abandoned pets during Hurricane Irma will face felony charges

Good.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-16-2017), JoeP (09-16-2017), lisarea (09-17-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law