Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 07-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Default Re: Health and Fitness Track, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Random related: I'm big into walking my Pokemon around for fitness these months, getting some 15K steps some days. I've some new (expensive! O.O) shoes from Joya, will report back after a few solid long walks.
So weeks later, it's still grinding my heel raw, but that's just my foot, so I start out in the shoes and carry a low back pair in my bag. I make it about a mile and have to change. The difference feels like going from walking on air to jackhammering my body all the way up to my shoulder blades. I want to wear these shoes all the time but will need a solution for that heel. I think I'll go to a specialty running shoe place today and see what they can tell me.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
jackhammering my body all the way up to my shoulder blades
:bunnythrust:
Quote:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:10 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
You runners and long-distance types, any idea what might cause something like that? Could it be something as simple as the fact that my second toe leans slightly to the right and that pressure built up over time causing a contusion? The bruise epicenter is definitely the bottom left corner of the toenail.
Hello! Here I am with my timely answer!

Whenever that has happened to me, it has been because my toenail was too long and/or my shoes were too tight. Sometimes I can feel it and it feels like the nail is getting lifted off the nailbed. Cuz it catches on the inside of shoe on the downstroke or something? I don't know how to explain it, but I can feel it happening and I know I'm going to have a purple toe.

They were in really bad shape a while ago. The big ones and the ones next to them (my next toe is longer than the big one) kept turning black and then falling off, sometimes the whole nail, and sometimes just one corner or other, like you described. It takes a while for the nail to grow back, weeks to months on the next one, about a year on the big one.

I was tired of having gross feet all the time so I started getting pedicures on the regular. The last time I was in I was scoping out my progress because that's the only time I ever see them because they always have polish on them. The pedicurist saw me looking and was like "yeah, they are healing" then she asked me why they were like that. I shrugged I was like "I run and I hike" and so she offered to go back and cut them shorter. I think that confirms my theory that it's the long toenails that cause it.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

$20 pair of socks with something to do with perspiration. Will see if worthwhile.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

What noborty told me about losing weight: I can tolerate warmer temperatures. Just last year, an 80° day wold see me uncomforrtable and sweating heavily. And on even hotter and muggier days? I would be completely soaked pits to toes. Though this season has been far more temperate I find 80+ days to merely be a little less comfortable than not.

As further update, my recent convalescence, I thought for sure I had erased a lot of hard work. Turns out, by some miracle, that I hadn't. Maybe only gained a pound or two - despite much less activity and what I thought was higher intake.

As a hard datum portion of this update, my weight is around 190, depending on the day of the week, time of day and scale used.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-13-2017), JoeP (08-12-2017), Qingdai (10-11-2017), slimshady2357 (08-12-2017), The Lone Ranger (08-12-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 04:08 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
As further update, my recent convalescence, I thought for sure I had erased a lot of hard work. Turns out, by some miracle, that I hadn't. Maybe only gained a pound or two - despite much less activity and what I thought was higher intake.
Yeah, strength and stamina don't go away as quickly as you'd think, and they come back surprisingly quickly as well.

For myself, since about April I have been eating well and mostly abstaining from alcohol. I got out of the habit of running during the summer, but I was working to get 10,000 steps daily so I did a lot of walking.

I super missed running, though, so I've been getting back into it. A couple 2- to 3-mile runs in the past couple weeks and then 5 miles this morning.

I've been attending weight watchers meetings regularly and my weight is at the low end its usual range. I feel great in all my clothes, and that's my favorite part. :biggrin:
BrotherMan (08-13-2017), Dingfod (08-19-2017), JoeP (08-13-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:26 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
What noborty told me about losing weight: I can tolerate warmer temperatures. Just last year, an 80° day wold see me uncomforrtable and sweating heavily. And on even hotter and muggier days? I would be completely soaked pits to toes. Though this season has been far more temperate I find 80+ days to merely be a little less comfortable than not.
I've now lost about 90 pounds since January, and have noted not only that I am more tolerant of heat, I'm less tolerant of cold. I have increased the acceptable temperature in our house and in my truck to 74ºF, sometimes 75. That is as opposed to my previous preference of 68-70 and compromise with my wife of 72. Also, I don't mind so much working in the yard at 80, 90, and even 100 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I feel great in all my clothes, and that's my favorite part. :biggrin:
Me too. Not in your clothes, I doubt they'd fit, but in mine instead. I've changed so many sizes since January it isn't even funny. I've lost about 16 inches in my waist, and maybe 6 or 8 in my chest. And I need to go pants shopping right now because everything I have, even the skinny jeans are baggy on me. I couldn't have put off the clothing purchases until now if not for a very generous couple who have both lost a bunch of weight and gave me clothes that fit and some that will soon fit. Just no pants that fit right anymore.
BrotherMan (08-20-2017), Crumb (08-19-2017), Ensign Steve (08-20-2017), JoeP (08-20-2017), Qingdai (10-11-2017), viscousmemories (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 07:12 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I went to the nearby organic store. I've only been in there three times, like, ever. So, obviously I'm not a regular nor am I known. I paid for my purchase (local honey) and the lady asked to see my ID. I took the opportunity to look at it myself.

Holy carp, y'all.

The difference...

If this is my driver's license photo:

:unnod:

This is me now:

:yes:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-04-2017), JoeP (09-03-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-03-2017), Qingdai (10-11-2017), slimshady2357 (09-05-2017), viscousmemories (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Solipsist

I am impressed.

Not least by discovering that Americuh has animated driver's licence photos.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-03-2017), Crumb (09-04-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-03-2017), Qingdai (07-06-2018), viscousmemories (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

You should see what kind of ammunition they take.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-14-2017), JoeP (09-03-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 PM
ChuckF's sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
I got engaged on May 20th - and my wedding is in March. I decided I didn't want to be a chubby bride so I am being active and eating better.

Fruit instead of desserts, more veggies and less carbs - I don't have a scale so I'm not sure of the exact poundage but a couple of my skirts feel looser and I personally feel better. I think maybe 4 pounds - but no one has noticed anything.
Skip forward to September and I gained those 4 plus 4 more back. Ugh. I promised that after the summer I would get stuck in to eating better and being more active.

I'm walking average 12,000 steps a day now and today I began eating better. TODAY.

It's only 1pm and I'm :brooding: Would really prefer a bagel with cream cheese to my hummus, veggie, and chicken lunch. I'm so damn hungry. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

6 months to my wedding. :eek:

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:34 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I've done something. Something that I'm both pleased with and unhappy about.

As I've said before, my big impetus was to reduce my sugars and carbs. I've been quite successful at that, I'd say. Not perfect of course but still p good.

I've been back at work for a few months now. Though I was pleased I hadn't put on much, if any, weight because of it, I noticed I wasn't dropping the weight like I wanted to. I'd go down through the week and back up a bit on the weekend. It was expected considering I'm a bit more regimented during the week - on a schedule at work and all. I can't just up and eat whatever, whenever when I'm supposed to be toeing that line and toting that bale.

But even so, I'd plateaued. I figured it was time to take a much closer look at what I was doing, diet-wise, and see what's what. I had also been feeling p good about the foods I was eating as my bloodwork came back with all positives across the board.

I decided to look at actual calories.

Much to my dismay. Guys, I was really saddened at my discovery.

I realized I had to give up my low carb and multi purpose tortillas. They were the highest calorie single item in my diet. (Except for the binge on peanut butter. But, come on. Who can eat just one tablespoon? And nevermind my "little" treat of peanutbutter on the tortilla.)

That was a couple of weeks ago now. Again, I'm not perfect so I've had a couple since my self imposed moratorium. But I've also resumed a gradual and steady drop in pounds.

Today at the work scale it read ~185.

I think part of my issue over the late summer was I had accidentally started eating at a maintenance level. Which I'm not ready for yet.

As far as my health goes, my psychological/emotional/mental goal is to lose enough so that my blood pressure reads normal. I'm not shooting for a goal weight or anything. Not yet. I do find myself saying that if I reach #NNN, that'd be a good holding point. But as my actual weight goes down and my body feels better while it's happening, that "goal" number gets a little lower.

Last year, I think I remember thinking: 185 is a good number. I get that far, and I'll be good. Lower than that would be, in a parlance, a stretch goal. Nice if it happens, but I'm not going to push at it.

Now that I'm passing that, I'm thinking 165 would be nice if it happens. 175 feels realistic and anything more would be - what is word - not worth the effort? Something like that, but not that mean spirited.

But guys. Seriously, guys? I'm bummed about my tortillas.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (10-07-2017), Crumb (10-09-2017), curses (10-07-2017), JoeP (10-07-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-10-2017), slimshady2357 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Just a spoon full of fibre makes everything come out, makes everything come out, makes everything come ow-out, everything, come out.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-11-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

In the most delightful way?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Just a spoon full of fibre makes everything come oot, makes everything come oot, makes everything come oo-oot, everything, come oot.
:canada::fixed: :canada:

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

#canasplaining

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-11-2017), slimshady2357 (10-11-2017)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I've lost right a hundredweight (a little over 7 stone / 0.045 metric tonne / about 45 kg) since one year ago this Friday.

I feel marvelous.

BrotherMan (01-25-2018), slimshady2357 (01-25-2018), viscousmemories (03-17-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Has anyone on the mighty :ff: ever tried an airfryer? Something like this?

Supposedly you can make nice crispy homemade fries (or other things you would normally deep fry) without all the oil. There is one on sale near us and we're thinking of trying it, but just wondered if anyone could give us an idea of what the food is like.

Personally, I doubt things taste like their oil fried equivalents, but maybe they have a texture/flavour that is just different yet still really nice.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:59 AM
Admin

I have one almost exactly like that and I use it to make chicken wings about once a week. I coat them with spices, toss them in the fryer for 12 mins, flip them and go another 12 mins (probably overdoing it but I fear salmonella something fierce) then toss them with Frank's wing sauce. Much love. I've used it a couple times for other things but nothing worth talking about.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
I have one almost exactly like that and I use it to make chicken wings about once a week. I coat them with spices, toss them in the fryer for 12 mins, flip them and go another 12 mins (probably overdoing it but I fear salmonella something fierce) then toss them with Frank's wing sauce. Much love. I've used it a couple times for other things but nothing worth talking about.
Mmmmm chicken wings :homdrool:

But what is the texture like? Are they crispy like deep fried? Crispy like oven baked? Are they juicy? Is there a noticeable difference?

I need the info daddio
Old 06-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

We have one too. We've done chicken and fries. They come out crispy but drier than a normal fryer. The one we have is pretty small so you can't make a lot. It is ok for two people, but I wouldn't use it for more. And really you can only prepare one thing in it. If you try to have chicken with your fries, you eat them separately or have one cold.
BrotherMan (07-03-2018), slimshady2357 (06-28-2018), viscousmemories (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Admin

Mr. Crumb is very smrt and I agree with everything he says.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-03-2018), Crumb (07-02-2018), slimshady2357 (07-02-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle