Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM
the internet says I'm right

Default Re: News Miscellany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
[ If that little bundle of cells barely starting to differentiate is a human life, the state has the same prima facie obligation to protect that life as it does for any other.
I think this is the most that could follow, but presumably something akin to personhood would also be needed; "human life" broadly applies to a shed skin cell, too, and doesn't mean much to the state on its own. But even if we read "person" for "human life" -- a huge allowance -- the p.f. protection from the state is widely seen as defeated in precisely cases like pregnancy, for reasons argued most vividly and famously by Judith Jarvis Thomson: the state's mandate to look out for the well-being of an adult citizen does not plausibly extend to compelling me to remain hooked up to that citizen by tubes for 9 months, not even if it would kill that citizen for me to disconnect the tubes.
Thanks, I should've talked about that when I was talking about arguments against, seeing as I just used some excerpts from her essay in discussing the matter with a relative half a week ago... I probably also should've been clearer in the first part - by "natural next step" I just meant that a lot of people think that way when they believe "life begins at conception." I didn't mean to make it sound anything other than erroneous for various reasons, including the above.

I can only offer exhaustion as an excuse, working nights over the weekend and not being able to stay on a night schedule despite working nights over the weekend for more than a year now...
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (01-26-2015), LadyShea (03-17-2015), The Man (02-02-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law