Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Oh, brilliant.

Default Re: Mafia Game Thread

haven't read the whole thread yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
To clarify, I wasn't voting for Adam because he was the third vote on someone. (Though that is supposedly a scum tell, I mean really? scum tell? I don't believe in 'em.) I voted because he specifically said he was doing it to create a bandwagon.

But anyway. unvote; vote: The Man Thanks for checking in, but really you should vote for someone.
Should I now? I should think that reserving my vote for cases of genuine suspicion will result in it meaning more than it would if I just waved it about frivolously.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Fool’s Gold · last.fm · soundcloud · Marathon Chronicles
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

The first day isn't really about meaning so much as diving into the fray and seeing what churns up. Even if you choose not to vote, you should still be posting and interacting with people.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Oh, brilliant.

Caught up now, although I'm half-asleep so I may have missed some rather important subtexts; I'm going to go re-read things when my mind is working more properly. I'm kind of suspicious at how many votes came in for Deadlokd so quickly; while I'm hardly willing to declare him as definitively innocent based on so little evidence, the fact that so many votes came in so quickly seems to me also based on so little evidence somewhat suspicious in its own right. A couple of votes would be one thing, but he came two votes away from being lynched. It's often a mafia tactic to attempt to force through a lynch vote on an innocent town member with a number of votes in quick succession in order to stifle debate, which the bandwagon on Deadlokd certainly seems to have been. Some of the more recent votes against him may be worthy of suspicion.

At any rate, that's all I have to say for now. I can't really comment for sure until I've seen more.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Oh, brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
The first day isn't really about meaning so much as diving into the fray and seeing what churns up. Even if you choose not to vote, you should still be posting and interacting with people.
Yeah I've been away from the computer most of the day. I'll be participating more from here on out, hopefully.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd View Post
Yup, the fact that he could be inexperienced was an afterthought. But I'm still leaving it because he hasn't said much itt. Not that anyone really has mind you.
Actually, I was sort of wondering that as well. Kael, have you played in the past?
Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Cmurb!

unvote

So the only thing interesting that has happened so far is the Deadlokd bandwagon. It seems to me that in the last few votes on the band wagon there was likely to be a scum or two. So that would be Adam, Gonzo and bey. bey was spreading his votes around and took his vote off when DL was at L-1, so he seems less suspicious. Adam has been participating a bit as well. Gonzo has only posted once and the entirety of his post was to jump on a bandwagon with no explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Ensign Steve states a powerful case.

vote deadlockd
I've seen too many scum remain silent in this game and get very far. vote: Gonzo

Another possibility is ES who was leading the case against DL. But again I have seen silence much more among scum so I have a hard time seeing scum prosecute a case so much on day one.

Kael would be my second choice here. Though he was on early so this reduces my suspicion, he has done no more than Gonzo.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd View Post
Yup, the fact that he could be inexperienced was an afterthought. But I'm still leaving it because he hasn't said much itt. Not that anyone really has mind you.
Actually, I was sort of wondering that as well. Kael, have you played in the past?
I've played mafia before, though in person, not on a forum. My vote for Deadlokd was quite tongue-in-cheek, as I took all the other votes to be this early in the game. As a concerned citizen I am opposed to lynching anyone without a good reason, for a sufficiently loose definition of 'good' anyway.

I would have changed my vote if he'd gotten only one away, but as he's out of imminent danger I'll leave it where it's at until further developments sway me. I was actually surprised that so many jumped on board against him.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:32 PM

OK. I was curious because I couldn't tell if your explanation for your Dl vote ("he voted to lynch without a reason" or summat) was serious or not.

unvote; vote: Gonzo

Let's have some participation here, young man. What do you think about what's happened so far?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
more of a before rehab friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
unvote

So the only thing interesting that has happened so far is the Deadlokd bandwagon. It seems to me that in the last few votes on the band wagon there was likely to be a scum or two. So that would be Adam, Gonzo and bey. bey was spreading his votes around and took his vote off when DL was at L-1, so he seems less suspicious. Adam has been participating a bit as well. Gonzo has only posted once and the entirety of his post was to jump on a bandwagon with no explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Ensign Steve states a powerful case.

vote deadlockd
I've seen too many scum remain silent in this game and get very far. vote: Gonzo

Another possibility is ES who was leading the case against DL. But again I have seen silence much more among scum so I have a hard time seeing scum prosecute a case so much on day one.

Kael would be my second choice here. Though he was on early so this reduces my suspicion, he has done no more than Gonzo.
I wouldn't go so far as saying I was leading the case (at least not intentionally) so much as explaining my own reasons for keeping my vote on Dl. Others apparently found my arguments compelling, and since they were by no means actually compelling, I figure at least some of the people on that bandwagon are scum (duh).

I don't know what to make of the fact that he was a vote away from death and survived. Were all the scums already on board? Was one of them afraid to deliver the death blow? Were they waiting for Megatron to finally log in and do it? Or is Dl one of theirs?

unvote

Ima reread the thread and then most likely cast a vote for Gonzo or Megatron.
Crumb (02-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Where is Megan O'Tron, anyway? Still no logins since the 29th?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Okay, I was just checking to see how much activity Gonzo had, and whether Megatron has any at all. Turns out it's just the one post between the two of them.

vote: Gonzo

For game silence with the exception of casting a single bandwagon vote. Like Crumb said, its too easy to stay under the radar.

So what do we do about Megatron?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I was thinking this morning that Gonzo's been online a fair amount, just not posting itt. That's either some easily persuaded low-laying or just noob token involvement.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM

BTW, are there visibility/invisibility rules in this game? I don't cotton to the way that admin just comes in here and posts everybody's bidniss. :whup:
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Huh? I didn't do anything admin special. Gonzo's been posting in other threads.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Cmurb!

But we all should be invisible. :unnod:
Ensign Steve (02-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Yes we should.

I think we should probably lynch gonzo if he remains at his current level of activity and helpfulness.

If for meta reasons if no other, but I am in no hurry so I wont be jumping on this bandwagon, yet.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM

1. Crumb
2. Gonzo - 3 (Crumb, Adam, Ensign Steve)
3. Kael - 1 (Deadlokd)
4. Megatron - 1 (Demimonde)
5. Demimonde
6. The Man
7. Deadlokd - 2 (Kael, Gonzo)
8. Ensign Steve
9. livius drusus
10. Adam
11. beyelzu - 1 (livius drusus)

Not Voting - (Megatron, The Man, beyelzu)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Not as smart as Adam

I'm not jumping on the Gonzowagon until I hear from him. My vote stays with Kael. :D
Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Newb ruminations by Demi...

Doesn't look like we have much progress today. But I agree that the drive by bandwagoning with so much other activity is kinda strange, and suspect. Gonzo is a bit of a dark horse though, as he's never played here before, so I don't know. He could have a reason for lying low. If so I'd like to hear them.

I have a lot of questions floating around in my mind from D's bandwagon. It is possible that all three scum were in it and couldn't bring a town over to drop the hammer. But I find that unlikely so soon in the game. If they weren't all in, they might have been holding out for a third vote, possibly Mega's. I must say I would have been immediately suspicious of anyone who cast that last vote under the circumstances.

I am somewhat curious about bey's vote. Had the hammer been dropped on D we might have flushed out a scum, but we would have possibly lost a town in the process. With so little to go on, that seemed hasty to me at the time as the pressure was already high. It seemed unnecessary. Unless there was no real perceived danger to a really scummy D with mafia reading the vote count. That might mean bey was trying to appear innocent. His quick vote and quick retraction I read opposite of how Crumb did. It reads a little contrived to me; especially with others warning about the hammer and bey sticking pat, until D showed up, then quickly reversing it.

It's possible that this was a manuver to attempt to try and make one or more scum look innocent. I have my reservations towards both players at the moment. D can't really defend the numbers, but I would like to hear a little bit more from bey about his reasoning.

unvote; vote beyelzu
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 AM

vote demi

unless you can explain how you are sure there are 3 scum. i doubt anything you will say could change my mind.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 AM

I didn't say there are 3 scum. I said: "It's possible that this was a manuver to attempt to try and make one or more scum look innocent."

Where do you get the number three from?

Is asking someone to explain a dangerous move that could have resulted in lynching a town member considered suspicious? I am still waiting to hear your reasoning on that.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
I have a lot of questions floating around in my mind from D's bandwagon. It is possible that all three scum were in it and couldn't bring a town over to drop the hammer. But I find that unlikely so soon in the game. If they weren't all in, they might have been holding out for a third vote, possibly Mega's. I must say I would have been immediately suspicious of anyone who cast that last vote under the circumstances.
:scratch:
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 AM

:blush: I'll confess now, I've only ever read two mafia threads, and a lot of wikis. In the BSG and Clue mafia threads there were three scum, and I guess I was aproximating in my head that there would be three here without realizing it. Which is stupid. I was only trying to articulate my suspicions in regards to the scum being able to track the voting better than we could.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 AM

I think I will go ahead and answer my thought process. i took him to the brink because that is what brings a claim. I cautioned against the hammer because there are some new players.

If a nonscum has any questions for me i will be glad to answer them. I am pretty certain demi is scum. No one discussed the number of scum and 3 is pretty high for an 11 person game. making it a relatively odd number to assume.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 AM

I can assure you that I am not scum. It was a stupid comment showing how green I really am. Let me ask you this though, from a seasoned vet to a little newb: how does it benefit town to have a claim so early? Would that not paint a target on the back of any specials town might have? In so small a game, can town be sure we have anyone to protect those specials?

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum