Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Coffin Creep

Movies The Incredibly Strange Films Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Threads

Who here is a fan of trashy B-movies?

I used to watch the old Godzilla movies and occasionally Kung Fu flicks on Saturday afternoons, but it was a teenaged viewing of Plan 9 From Outer Space that forever changed my outlook on the possibilities of cinematic enjoyment. The advent of Mystery Science Theater 3000 broadened my viewing of le bad cinema but unfortunately limited my desire to watch the movies unenhanced. (I sit here wearing a twenty year old Tom Servo shirt, so don't think I'm in any way bitter.)

Since Youtube started allowing full movie uploads, rather than ten minute segments, I've watched a few gems but never seem to find the time. Until my hard drive crash in June, a link for The Green Slime sat on my favorites bar, unwatched. I need to get back to that.

I'm just going to throw out some names here:
  • Plan 9 (of course)
  • Super Argo (Italian wrestling cyborgs!)
  • Hercules (ad nauseum)
  • Astro Zombies
  • Maniac (so lisarea won't sign me up for AARP spam)
  • Forbidden Zone (so Qingdai will)
  • Ator, Fighting Falcon & The Blade Master
  • Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
  • Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity
  • Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
  • The Devil Rides Out
  • Billy the Kid vs. Dracula
  • Orgy of the Dead (Ed Wood at a low point in his career!)
  • The Tingler (of which Scott Mcleod said was a 'movie and a half!'
  • House on Haunted Hill and throw Thirteen Ghosts in there as well.

I've avoided ones I've only seen on MST3K and also anything by the studios Hammer and AIP which I watch for the atmosphere more than any schlock factor.
chunksmediocrites (09-01-2012), curses (09-01-2012), Janet (09-01-2012), Jerome (09-03-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012), lisarea (09-01-2012), livius drusus (09-01-2012), Nullifidian (09-01-2012), Sock Puppet (09-01-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: The Incredibly Strange Films Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Threads

As a kid, B horror movies were our Saturday thing :)

I recommend Them! for your next viewing

Also Empire of the Ants

And Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II which is hysterical
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (09-01-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: The Incredibly Strange Films Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Threads

Grew up on Godzilla and Gamera weeks afterschool on the ABC affiliate, Sir Graves Ghastly on Saturday afternoons and The Ghoul on Saturday night. I tend to think that's the biggest definer of my age. I grew up before afternoon talk shows and infomercials so it was old movies and syndicated reruns all the time.

You don't have the original Little Shop of Horrors on that list. I think you need to fix that, right away.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Watser? (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Coffin Creep

I've seen bits and pieces of Little Shop but never the whole thing.

I remember when Saturday afternoon TV was all old movies and whatnot. The rise of informercials and whatnot is one the things that drove me away from TV.
LadyShea (09-01-2012), Qingdai (05-25-2014)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Coffin Creep

Also, I put 'The Devil Rides Out' on my list but it's not the movie I was thinking of. This is one I found for a couple of bucks on DVD at an overstock store. The cover was a lot more lurid than the film, which was middle of the road mild horror, watchable but sort of dull.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Well, this is timely.

Troma's just released 150 movies for free on YouTube.

I'm still signing you up for AARP spam for leaving out my other favorite, The Blood of Nostradamus.

(For some reason, it is not recognizing that I told it to skip to 1:00 for the second trailer, but that's OK because the other trailer is good too.)

If there is any way you can manage to find The Blood of Nostradamus or any of its related movies, do it. They are awesome. It was, IIRC, a Mexican serial, and then later someone edited scenes to make it into a bunch of movies.

I am trying to remember another Mexican horror movie. It's from the 60s or thereabouts, has brain in the title, I think, and it's about

Yeah, that's a really, really good one if anyone can remember what it is.

Here is The Atomic Brain on archive. I like that one a whole lot too.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-01-2012), Janet (09-04-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012), specious_reasons (09-04-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Coffin Creep

I need help spreading, "Terror and more terror!" It's the second part that eludes me.

Anywho, I just finished watching the namesake film for this thread, "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies," for the first time without the MST3K treatment. Even before, I sort of tuned most of it out. Um, ok.

lisarea (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

O, what the hell? How did I forget The Thing with Two Heads?

Guys, seriously. Ray Milland is this super racist but brilliant surgeon who is dying of "chest cancer," but he's been working on head transplant techniques, so he's all like FIND ME A NEW BODY, so they get Rosey Grier, a death row inmate, to become his new body, and hijinks--including the greatest chase scene ever committed to film--ensue, which you will soon discover because the whole thing is on YouTube, right here:

WATCH IT NOW.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-03-2012), Janet (09-04-2012), Qingdai (05-25-2014), Sock Puppet (09-01-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-01-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Sometimes, bad movies are just so much fun! One of my favorite bad movies is Anaconda. Despite the big budget and the considerable acting talent attached, it managed to be a bad, bad, bad movie. And it was absolutely hilarious!

Recently, I saw the Rifftrax version of Manos: The Hands of Fate in a theater. I've gotta admit that it was a scream -- much better than the MST3K version of "Manos." Part of the appeal was the audience participation, I think. You know how a live musical performance is often just so much better than a recording? I think this was the same thing; if I'd seen the Rifftrax version by myself, I'd probably have thought "Yeah, that's pretty good," but when you see it with a live audience, it's hysterical.

Oh, and I just love, love, love Godzilla movies in all their cheesey glory. Nobody better be dissin' The Big G!

Hail to the King, baby!

For those who don't know, Legendary Pictures is making a new "Godzilla" movie that -- last I heard -- is due to be released later this year. All I can say is that it'd better be superior to the last time an American studio tried to make a "Godzilla" movie. [Tojo Studios renamed the American Godzilla ("GINO" or "Godzilla in Name Only") "Zilla" -- because, as one executive put it, "The Americans managed to take the 'God' out of 'Godzilla."]
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-04-2012), LadyShea (09-03-2012), lisarea (09-02-2012), SharonDee (09-03-2012), Sock Puppet (09-04-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-02-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 AM

Hey, I happened to see this thread title in the middle of watching this on TCM:

Hands of a Stranger
"A pianist, injured in an accident, has the hands of a murderer grafted onto him."

Bad, so bad.
Janet (09-04-2012), LadyShea (09-03-2012), lisarea (09-03-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

You should definitely add the following films:

Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman

Gorgo (England's answer to Godzilla)

It's Alive (the 1968 version starring the inestimable Tommy Kirk)
lisarea (09-03-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 AM
ellipsis . . .

The Swarm

Journey to the Center of the Earth '93 TV movie, not the very good original.

They Saved Hitler's Brain

Last edited by Kashmir; 09-03-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-03-2012), lisarea (09-03-2012), Stormlight (09-03-2012), Ymir's blood (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I like Little Shop of Horrors.

One type of B-movie I like are the endless Kung Fu movies that have come out over the years. A particular favorite of mine is The Last Dragon.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Thanks, from:
Ymir's blood (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Quality Contributor

This is clearly one of my all time favourites!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Oh man, I've gotta see that one -- it looks hysterical!

If nothing else, the name alone makes it funny as all heck. "Super" means "above," so "Superman" is above (superior to) other men. "Ultra" means "beyond," so "Ultraman" has powers and abilities beyond those of ordinary men.

But "infra" means "less than" or "below." So logically, "Inframan" should be less powerful than the average human ...
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-03-2012), Kashmir (09-05-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Quality Contributor

The original title is actually Super Inframan! And yes, it is really hilarious.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I'll watch pretty much any of the Kaiju (Japanese giant monster) films from the 60s, or even their imitators (such as Gorgo, which I actually had a poster from as a kid; Gorgo was on the inside of my bedroom door for awhile). But while I recognize the badness, I don't even watch them so much for snark value as for nostalgia. (And for that reason, I never relate to the whole dub vs. original debate; for me, they were all the dub versions, that was part of their charm, and I don't give a shit about the "superior" originals.) One of these days I'll have to see The War of the Gargantuas again. I have only the vaguest memory of it, but I do remember cheering on the good guy Gargantua as he and the bad one beat the sauce out of each other.

But as far as loving bad films for their sublime badness, one of my favorites is The Devil's Rain. Ernest Borgnine as a Satanic priest, terrorizing William Shatner, while at the same time they're cowboys somehow. Fucking gold.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-06-2012), Ymir's blood (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Love, love LOVE War of the Gargantuas. Best thing about it is the lounge singer getting eaten. I still sing the chorus from time to time. "The words get stuck in my throat." Considering what follows, we usually change it to "My clothes get stuck in his throat."

Yes, I am a sick bastard. Thank you for noticing.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (09-05-2012), Sock Puppet (09-04-2012), Stormlight (09-05-2012), Ymir's blood (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
But as far as loving bad films for their sublime badness, one of my favorites is The Devil's Rain. Ernest Borgnine as a Satanic priest, terrorizing William Shatner, while at the same time they're cowboys somehow. Fucking gold.
And I was all, "Is that the same The Devil's Rain that marked the film debut of the heartthrob of my teens, John Travolta?" So I IMDb'd it and yes, yes it was!

:vapours:

(Not that I've ever seen it. It's just that the title brings to mind that little factoid.)
Sock Puppet (09-04-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 AM
ellipsis . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
But "infra" means "less than" or "below." So logically, "Inframan" should be less powerful than the average human ...
Maybe he's anemic?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM
ellipsis . . .

Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-05-2012), S.Vashti (09-16-2012), Stormlight (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
the heartthrob of my teens, John Travolta
Come to my arms! I was deeply in love with John Travolta from the age of five (when Grease came out) until well into my late teens.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-06-2012), SharonDee (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Thread Winner

:winner::trophy::winner:

:victory:

:thanked:

Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Quality Contributor

That is fucking awesome! :lol:
Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
the heartthrob of my teens, John Travolta
Come to my arms! I was deeply in love with John Travolta from the age of five (when Grease came out) until well into my late teens.

We've talked about this, yet I am still shocked every time I am reminded you are only a few years younger than me, because in my head you are like 10 years younger than me. It's stuck there!!

And yes, I had a John Travolta T-shirt and a poster. Also Shaun Cassidy
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (09-06-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature