Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Default Anti-Semitism

I've created this thread because I couldn't find a good place for this:

Alice Walker's Conspiracy Theories Aren't Just Anti-Semitic — They're Anti-Black | The Forward

... and I'm guessing that anti-Semitism, given the weaponised accusations of it by the Israel lobbies, is a hot enough a topic for an ongoing all-purpose thread.

From the linkUltimately defeating anti-Jewish and anti-Black prejudice in our communities depends on principled solidarity and rejection of the tropes created by white supremacy.

It means calling out Walker’s remarks and anti-Blackness in Jewish communities, but also examining and debunking the source of these ideas so they don’t persist.

Last edited by mickthinks; 01-08-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-22-2019), Corona688 (01-09-2019), Crumb (01-08-2019), JoeP (01-08-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-08-2019), lisarea (01-08-2019), Stephen Maturin (01-08-2019), Stormlight (01-08-2019), The Man (01-08-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Anti-Semitism

Thread on antisemitism in Britain. I don't really understand what's going on but apparently eight MPs have left Labour over antisemitism in the party and three have left the Tories because I don't even know. I know the catastrofuck of Brexit is still looming as well. I watched John Oliver's brilliant segment on that and feel much better informed on that, but I still have no idea what's going on with the party departures.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting this isn't so much the original thread but the replies. I know most of the times you don't want to read the comments, but in this case, you do. This is as remarkable an exception as that episode of House where it actually was lupus.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Forum Killer

Does leaving the party actually deprive the party of power, or just concentrate more power among those left?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Something that I have noticed, lately, is that criticism of the government of the State of Israel is often flagged as being anti-Semitic.

Not sure if that applies in the recent cases, but it has been evident in the States lately.
Ari (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 AM
Forum Killer

Fortunately we have an entire thread on that can of worms and need not pre-emptively jump the topic on this one.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM
you're next

did you just put the Jews in their own thread? :chin:

like a kind of blith-racism ghetto?
LarsMac (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEZOZE View Post
the Jews
Sounds like a name for a band, since The The is already taken.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
ZEZOZE (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:30 PM
you're next

Ha! it really would. I think that would be cool.

in the meantime there is always...

Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 PM

The Guardian continues to collude in the manufacture of anti-semitism: I have never met antisemitism in Britain... until now | Richard Zimler | The Guardian

From the linkI have never met antisemitism in Britain... until now

It is only through a complete abuse of the language which would normally indicate a non-native speaker of English that you can claim to have met antisemism in Britain now.

From the linkJohn told me that the final conversations he had with the two event co-ordinators convinced him that they weren’t antisemitic themselves but they feared a backlash – protests by their members and others – if they extended an invitation to a Jewish writer.

But that isn't "meeting antisemitism". That's meeting a fearful response to perceived antisemitism. Or it's a faked response intended to manufacture an illusion of fear and generate scare-copy for the likes of The Guardian.

Last edited by mickthinks; 06-30-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Someone refusing to invite a Jewish writer because you're afraid of anti-Semitism of your supposed allies (co-partisans) is perpetuating anti-Semitism. Whether they are "personally" anti-Semitic in the sense of harboring anti-Jewish animus themselves, it is an anti-Semitic act. In my view.

And even if you don't consider that person to be anti-Semitic, the disinvited writer would still be encountering anti-Semitism, indirectly. It is undeniably experiencing the effects of anti-Semitism. And that's if you take the organizers at their word that they were only worried about what other people thought.

If you think it's an exaggerated or outright false anecdote, that's one thing. But assuming the story is true, I don't have a problem with calling it anti-Semitism.

Someone who moves out of the neighborhood because a black family moved in might say it's because of declining home values not because they hate black people, and the home values are affected by other people's racism... they still contributed to the very pattern that causes home values to decline, they still are contributing to residential segregation, they still are perpetuating racism, and it still is a racist act. Maybe they would pay a personal price in terms of their home value declining if they didn't move. Nobody ever said that taking a stand against racism would always be cost-free though! If doing the racist thing always imposed a cost on the person doing it, and never provided any benefit, there would probably be a lot less racism!
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-30-2019), Ensign Steve (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 07:31 AM

Someone refusing to invite a Jewish writer because you're afraid of anti-Semitism ... is an anti-Semitic act. [...] And even if you don't consider that person to be anti-Semitic, the disinvited writer would still be encountering anti-Semitism, indirectly.

It follows from your first conclusion—refusing is an antisemitic act—that being refused would be a direct encounter with antisemitism. That you introduce the idea of indirect meetings shows that you, subconsciously perhaps, accept the point I am making—dealings through third parties are not "meetings" in any sense.

Can you be guilty of an antisemitic act and yet not be an antisemite? Yes, I believe you can. For instance, arguably Jeremy Corbyn's support for an antisemitic artist was antisemitic, even though Corbyn (I believe) is not.

If the organisers of an event have a reasonable fear of antisemitic protests, (because there have been such protests at similar events, for example) and feel the event would be disrupted to the point of being spoiled, then I agree that any guest who is disinvited is "meeting with" antisemitism directly.

The crucial element here is "reasonable fear of destructive disruption". Without it, the antisemitism is illusory, or indeed, manufactured. In my view.

Last edited by mickthinks; 07-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:57 AM

I am not the only one who sees manufactured antisemitism in Zimler's story, apparently:

Mystery surrounds the venues that 'banned' Jewish author | Jenni Frazer | The Times of Israel

From the linkWell, where to start in this farrago of bilge? Not only did The Observer publish this extraordinary claim, but it allowed Zimler to call his publicist friend “John” and to accede to “John’s” request not to identify the two purported cultural organisations.
[...]All of which might be just about acceptable if there were any independent corroboration of Zimler’s claim – and, which is far more important, if there were any evidence of other Jewish writers being turned down for appearances at literary festivals – because they were Jewish.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 PM

Steve Bell censored by the Guardian | Jewish Voice for Labour

There is something distictly unsavoury going on between the Israel Lobby, The Guardian, Tom Watson and the right wing of the Labour Party.
Kamilah Hauptmann (07-19-2019)
Old 01-28-2020, 04:07 PM

Orla Guerin’s report shows what’s wrong with Holocaust remembrance | Robert A. H. Cohen

Someone called Orla Guerin produced a short film report as part of the BBC's coverage of the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. Her report has been condemned from right-wing quarters as "crass and offensive", "foul – sickening", "deeply offensive and upsetting ... unnecessary, insensitive and particularly ugly ... inexplicably and unjustifiably offensive", "perverting ... utterly appalling... desecrat[ing] ... hatred of the Jewish state”.

Cohen defends Guerin's report in terms like these:

From the linkIn remembering the Holocaust, we understandably focus on the past. What happened. And why. We raise up the voices of the remaining survivors so they can give their personal testimony one more time before they become too frail. We ask the leaders of nations to recommit to fighting antisemitism. We engage with our neighbours at a community level and work to create a shared acceptance of the need to remember, and for some, atone.

But there are dangers in how we remember too.

[...] The undeniable truth is that Palestinians are part of the post Holocaust story too. Their history and current situation cannot be separated from Auschwitz any more than the Jewish story can. In fact, they have become the same story because the Palestinians paid the price for Europe’s failures and the rest of the world’s indifference.

Last edited by mickthinks; 01-28-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-28-2020), Crumb (01-28-2020), JoeP (01-28-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-28-2020), lisarea (01-28-2020), Stormlight (01-29-2020), The Man (01-29-2020)
Old 11-01-2022, 01:42 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Uhhhh...
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-01-2022), Crumb (11-01-2022), JoeP (11-01-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-01-2022), lisarea (11-01-2022), mickthinks (11-01-2022), slimshady2357 (11-01-2022), Stephen Maturin (11-01-2022), viscousmemories (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 01:52 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

You know, you'd almost think that people like Johnny Teague are pro-Israel because getting all the Jews together in one place will make it easier and more convenient for Invisible Magic Sky Daddy to slaughter them all when the time comes.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-01-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-01-2022), mickthinks (11-01-2022), viscousmemories (11-01-2022)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law