Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Admin

Science A Real Smrt Phone

Long time readers of my blather may remember that I purchased a Dell Streak back in the fall of 2010. Although it had some limitations I loved the 5" display, but I grew disillusioned when it became obvious that Dell was going to discontinue it and probably wouldn't release any more significant software updates. So when I was home over Christmas I finally bit the bullet and bought the largest, best-reviewed Android phone available, a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, from Verizon. Although the Galaxy Nexus is a pretty great phone and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is very nice, I really missed my 5" display. So when I heard that the 5.3" Samsung Galaxy Note was launching on AT&T last Sunday I decided to bite another bullet (in this case an early termination fee from Verizon) and buy the Galaxy Note. Fortunately I was able to sell the Galaxy Nexus on eBay for more than I paid for it so the financial hit was relatively minor, and now I have a big, beautiful phone again. All is right with the world. :)
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (02-26-2012), Demimonde (02-26-2012), Kyuss Apollo (02-26-2012), LadyShea (02-26-2012), lisarea (02-26-2012), SR71 (02-26-2012), Stormlight (02-27-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A Real Smrt Phone

May you and your phone be very happy.

May I ask a question though? Do you text almost exclusively or surf the web a lot or what? A 5 inch screen doesn't sound like a useful telephone, for holding up to your head and talking into, to me. It sounds like a handy small tablet computer though.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Perfect timing on this thread, VM. My phone went AWOL last week and I have been waiting to get paid so I could replace it. I am really glad to be rid of my old one. It was a Samsung Focus, which I got because I couldn't quite afford the Nexus. The phone itself was built beautifully, Samsung really does make the most beautiful displays IMO, but the Win Phone 7 software was god awful. Then several months after I got it, MS announced they were killing Zune development and I knew the thing was dead. I will never again underestimate the importance of software.

I am glad to hear your review and will definitely look at the Note. I like the stylus and am really interested in the text conversion. Is it fairly accurate? How about the camera? Any trouble with shakiness or focus? Does it have a built in flash? The larger battery is a huge plus for me as I hate having to constantly charge my phone.

Shea, I like the larger phones because I like watching video, gaming, and showing pictures to people on it and all those things benefit. The large size isn't awkward for me, I plan to use a blue tooth though when I am out so my phone can stay safely in my purse. But then, I also had a Nokia N-Gage for years. :giggle:

I called it my taco phone, it was SO UGLY. In the first gen you actually had to hold the thin edge of the straight side of the phone to your ear, so it was like having a small mouse ear or fin sprouting from the side of your head.

It was possibly the nerdiest gear I have ever owned. I did get to have mobile personal gaming in glorious color years before Angry Birds was even thought of.
LadyShea (02-26-2012), viscousmemories (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Admin

I don't text a lot but I do use it to surf the web a lot. I have big hands and a big head so it doesn't look too silly when I hold it up to my face, but I don't spend a lot of time on the phone anyway. In any case whenever someone comments about the appearance I just say I wasn't interested in it as a fashion accessory but as a mini tablet with phone capabilities. I personally feel more silly wearing a bluetooth headset like I'm with the Secret Service or something than holding it up to my head.

The camera is 8mp as opposed to the Galaxy Nexus' 5mp but I haven't really used it enough to comment about its functionality. Here's a picture of a tree I planted this morning though. I haven't really played with the handwriting recognition yet but I do like that I can jot quick notes on the device. That was definitely missed on the Streak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (1.42 MB, 15 views)
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-27-2012), chunksmediocrites (02-26-2012), Demimonde (02-26-2012), Fencesitter (02-26-2012), LadyShea (02-26-2012), livius drusus (02-26-2012), Stormlight (02-27-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Wow, that pic has excellent resolution and great focus.

I was looking at some of the creative uses they are marketing and am floored. You can write on images, even take screen caps of webpages! I could make doodles and fun stuff. Touch-retouch sounds absolutely awesome. Seriously will make it easier for me to share photos. Take the margarita off the table and post teacher friendly pics of my friends, get a cute pic of Dante and be able to take out the laundry basket in the back ground, remove any ugly signs from a nature shot. That is a fantastic idea.

But even beyond artsy stuff, I am really interested in the S Planner. Have you played with that much? I have never found a phone with a planner or calendar that I really liked. I read that they have seven different views for your time, (including agenda! :gimme:), plus you can attach any image, memo, or map to your entries. That is like a dream come true for me, seriously.

It also seems like they have many things in development that will just add more and more usability. I imagine some developers are eager to make apps for the new functions this phone has. I wonder how long it will be until they release Soonr?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Admin

I haven't played with the planner because I didn't know it was there, but I will!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Quality Contributor

Quite frankly the name smart-phone is a misnomer. It's really a pocket computer that can also be used as a phone.

After 8 months,I still love my Galaxy S2 and I would not go back to a smaller screen (like the iphone). But to be fair the closer integration of iOS and iphone guarantees a much smoother experience with a lot less crashing.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology