Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Coffin Creep

Default Re: Pinterest, ladysplained.

You're really just annoyed at the pictures they posted of pie.
Qingdai (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I have a pie free stream!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Coffin Creep

:eww:
Janet (02-29-2012), Qingdai (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
I don't know if it's a bug or it was part of the initial set up, but I was "following" a bunch of pinners I didn't know. They were showing up in my more personalized board list.
Yeah, during the set up, when they ask you about your interests, what they are actually doing is finding popular pinners in those sub-categories to network you with. The problem is, you end up subscribing to a bunch of their other stuff that has nothing to do with that interest, so there is a bunch of clean up to do. They really need to come up with a better system, or at least let you know they are going to do that.
Qingdai (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
Pinterest is a place for aspiration. It is a place inhabited by desires. A place to enjoy and share your interests, to find new passions, and yes, even to dream. Someone who actually is living that life, but without my computer skills could benefit from following my stream. I might make connections with people I wouldn't have known otherwise who have that same interest and shared values that I have. And most of all, in going public, I might learn something about my secret desire, what it says about me, and what I want to do in my life. And while I may be many years away from my idyllic dream farm, there are urban homesteading things I can do. Maybe seeing my aspirations out there will put me a step closer to realizing them.
This right here is the best reason I've found for jumping on the bandwagon.

Great post, Demi. :thumbup:
Demimonde (02-27-2012), LadyShea (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
California Sober

Quote:
[Demi's entire whole awesome post.]
Yes, I agree with all of that!

Something that used to bother me on the facebook and the blogosphere ... wait, let me time travel to earlier than that. Something that used to bother me my whole life, and I got this from my mom, was people who would say what they "wish" they could do without actually doing anything to make it happen. Oh, I wish I could ... lose weight, go back to school, learn another language, learn an instrument, learn to sew, get a job traveling the world, etc. etc. etc. Mom would get pissed because people would say she was "lucky" and she would be like "lucky?! fuck you! I worked my ass off."

Okay, fast forward to the present, and here's the thing that bothers me on facebook and the blogosphere. The same shit. People post all this shit that's supposed to be motivational, or shit they want to try, but they never get around to it. They get all the satisfaction of it just by facebooking it, and they forget to actually do the thing. It's like, if you want it so bad, quit talking about it and get off your ass and do it! Or maybe they do about half the time, but it still means their internet front end is a big fat lie. I refused to do that, not because I didn't want to be a liar, but because I didn't want to unmotivate myself from doing something by getting the satisfaction of talking about it on the facebook or blog. This is a real thing.

So I wouldn't talk about redecorating my living room, for example, until I had photos to post. It is great for motivation, but it meant I never got to crowdsource my plans. I could show results, but anything I was designing or planning or thinking about I kept to myself and didn't get the benefit of anybody else's suggestions.

So then pinterest comes along, and for whatever reason I get it into my head that pinboards are supposed to be inspiration boards. I think about when you are planning your wedding, you buy a bunch of bridal magazines and look at photos of $500,000 weddings and fantasize. Of course you can't have that wedding, but you can cut out pictures of flowers you think are pretty or an creative idea for a favor, and make a collage and have a visual repository of "things I like" and use that to further plan your event. Same with home decor. Imagine you have your decorator come over and you want to show them what you like, so you show them a collection of pictures you've saved of things you like, and they can tell at a glance what your style is and what you like as far as textures and colors and amount of business or sparseness and plan their design accordingly with your budget in mind.

I don't know, maybe I'm just starting to fall victim to that TED effect from above, but it's like I feel like the pressure's off. I can spend as much or as little time as I want posting pictures of wallpaper and bedding I'd like for the guest room, and I don't feel the pressure to run out and get the stuff right now and have it done this weekend. It gives me a chance to think and plan on things first, and be less impulsive, and if the thing never comes to fruition then maybe it was never that important in the first place.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
I don't know if it's a bug or it was part of the initial set up, but I was "following" a bunch of pinners I didn't know. They were showing up in my more personalized board list.
Yeah, during the set up, when they ask you about your interests, what they are actually doing is finding popular pinners in those sub-categories to network you with. The problem is, you end up subscribing to a bunch of their other stuff that has nothing to do with that interest, so there is a bunch of clean up to do. They really need to come up with a better system, or at least let you know they are going to do that.
Yeah, I immediately unfollowed all of those streams. They are easy to differentiate from the streams I wanted (possibly I have facebook friends with different names and avatars on pinterest that I didn't want to accidentally unfollow because I didn't recognize them), because they have like 20,000 followers.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
California Sober

Oh, wait, what I came in here to say was:

If you wondered if there was ever going to be a pink rose that I didn't repin, I found one today. A hideous floral arrangement on a wedding site. And you know it takes mad skill to make pink roses appear hideous to me.

That type of conversation probably belongs there and not here, but that's not the format for that site, so I'm officially declaring this thread the place to do that.

Speaking of which, did you see my pin about the miniature food, Demi?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
I think about when you are planning your wedding, you buy a bunch of bridal magazines and look at photos of $500,000 weddings and fantasize. Of course you can't have that wedding, but you can cut out pictures of flowers you think are pretty or an creative idea for a favor, and make a collage and have a visual repository of "things I like" and use that to further plan your event. Same with home decor. Imagine you have your decorator come over and you want to show them what you like, so you show them a collection of pictures you've saved of things you like, and they can tell at a glance what your style is and what you like as far as textures and colors and amount of business or sparseness and plan their design accordingly with your budget in mind.

I can spend as much or as little time as I want posting pictures of wallpaper and bedding I'd like for the guest room, and I don't feel the pressure to run out and get the stuff right now and have it done this weekend. It gives me a chance to think and plan on things first, and be less impulsive, and if the thing never comes to fruition then maybe it was never that important in the first place.
This is how I pretty much live my life. Everything has project folders, either digital or for reals, with all my links and pics and budgets and spreadsheets and stuff.

Sometimes the projects never get started, sometimes the result is totally different than my plan*, sometimes shit gets started but not finished, sometimes it's just a pipe dream or very long term out there (like living abroad)...always, always, always there is some horribly long research and resourcing stage though...Pinterest is working with that trait of mine.

Because yeah, how do you know what you want the result to be if you haven't looked at all the possibilities?

*My vacation plan? That started as a single destination camping trip, and the final plan is a grand fucking driving tour with the original destination totally eliminated. LOL
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
California Sober

Oh, yes, of course I don't mean to say that I don't ever plan anything. I just never put the plans online before Pinterest, only the results.

The first day I pinned a picture of mini-cheesecakes, because I was planning on making them in a few days, and even then I felt weird about pinning something without doing it. The day I did it, I pinned a picture of mine, so now they're both there for side-by-side comparison. Since then I haven't worried about it at all and have pinned anything I thought was a cute idea, whether I planned to do it or not. I did try another thing, but it was a disaster, so I went back and commented on the pin to that effect. The pin is still up because it's a fantasy. Let us not sully it with reality.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Oh, yes, of course I don't mean to say that I don't ever plan anything. I just never put the plans online before Pinterest, only the results.

The first day I pinned a picture of mini-cheesecakes, because I was planning on making them in a few days, and even then I felt weird about pinning something without doing it. The day I did it, I pinned a picture of mine, so now they're both there for side-by-side comparison. Since then I haven't worried about it at all and have pinned anything I thought was a cute idea, whether I planned to do it or not. I did try another thing, but it was a disaster, so I went back and commented on the pin to that effect. The pin is still up, because it's a fantasy. Let us not sully it with reality.
I am glad you are putting stuff up there. It's neat to see your brains at work.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM
California Sober

:mindblow: I have PMS so it could get weird up in there this week.
LadyShea (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Coffin Creep

Brains...
Janet (02-29-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

In response to that TED talk, I used to be a hardcore wisher and I used to be really bad about it. I had this internal mantra that was "I would love (to) x." The modal construction of that is so toxic, I now realize. Adding "would" in there converts the verb "will" into an artificial past tense that has not yet happened. To me, that "would" translated into failure before I would ever begin. I had to train myself to stop using that phrase.

I love planning projects. I want to have all my duckies bill to tail and quacking in unison before I actually begin a project. I think that is partly the perfectionist in me, because that way I can avoid mistakes or working myself into a corner. I want to look at every angle to see the best way to do it. It drives Contra crazy because he the charge ahead type, and I want to take the time to think it out before we go. Also, once I am in the project I want to enjoy it. If I jump in without a plan, I start stressing over whether it will work or how it will look or cussing myself or the job out when things go to pot for something I overlooked.

I am really enjoying crowdsourcing with you guys and getting your input on things, too. I also feel like I am learning more and more about the things people like and stuff I had no idea we had in common. I find that awesome.

I did miss the miniature food though, ES. I am going to have to find that. Glad you found the Gypsy rose wagon though, :cheer:.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
California Sober

I need to figure out how to @tag people when we have a space in our names. :?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 AM

it brings up a list for me when I put in @X though it's a bit glitchy on that
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-28-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

This is funny because just yesterday, I was wishing Tiger Beatdown had some kind of pinnable graphic somewhere so I could pin something from there. Then, today, with the powers of my mind, I made them talk about it:

Tiger Beatdown › But, Pinterest Is For Girls! Sexism and Social Media
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-29-2012), Demimonde (02-29-2012), Ensign Steve (02-29-2012), LadyShea (02-29-2012), livius drusus (02-29-2012), seebs (03-02-2012), Ymir's blood (03-01-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

The licensing thing squicks me a bit -- yeah, lots of people do that, but it worries me a bit.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM

As long as you leave the link to the image's original location intact it is no different than posting a web image here.

People may be stupid and download then upload licensed material, losing the attribution, but I haven't come across any of that.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
California Sober

Did you know you can filter pins by what site they are pinned from?

http://pinterest.com/source/instructables.com/

:qhax:
:leetcrab:

LadyShea (03-02-2012), lisarea (03-02-2012), livius drusus (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM

I did know that! Tinkerbell is Pinned-in

Am I the only one that fixes links when I repin? Like that spiral clock face went to Google Image search, so I found the creator and linked to his gallery. Also, the Butterbeer one went to some other place, so I found the original blog post.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
California Sober

I only remember to check the link at all less than maybe half the time, so I'm probably unwittingly rick-rolling you people every day. Sorreh!

But, yes, sometimes I'll dig deep through links to try to find the original of something, like if someone pins to a blog and the first line of the blog is "I saw this on pinterest!" I'm like, damn, we're stuck in a loop! But then also sometimes the newer source has a prettier, more pinnable picture, so sometimes I will hack and frankenstein my pins so that the best picture goes to the best link, which is probably some sort of horrible intellectual property transgression, but whatever.
LadyShea (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:37 PM

I've done that too, when the super duper actual first original is hard to find because of all the bloggers blogging about other blog posts, pins, repins and whathaveyou
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I have been stymied by the links being circular back to pinterest, doesn't help when you want to make a project and you only have the picture.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Q, in those cases I go to the web and try to find the original. Only once or twice was it seemingly unpossible (meaning I gave up when I couldn't find it in 60 seconds).

But, just sos you guys know. If I pinned it, I checked it and it should actually link somewhere useful
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I do the same, I link back to the source, then like the person who brought it to my attention.
I did find some links that didn't go anywhere.
I got one spam link. :freakout:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology