Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: DC Nation

Thanks, from:
Janet (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

CBS has chosen their Supergirl for Supergirl. (Comments are safe!)

Quote:
The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers on Kara Zor-El, Superman’s cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Benoist will play Kara, who after arriving on Earth was taken in by a foster family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin, Superman).

Now 24, Kara feels un-empowered, a slave to having repressed her innate abilities. She’s still pretty, but with her face hidden behind glasses and her hair pulled back, she doesn’t know it herself. An unexpected disaster forces her to use her powers in public. Energized by her heroic deed, for the first time in her life, Kara begins embracing her extraordinary abilities. She begins helping the people of her city and they soon take notice — and she’s even given a new moniker: Supergirl.
I don't know anything about Melissa Benoist. So I literally have to wait and see. I don't have the same trust with the live action DC people casting like I do with Marvel. I'm sort of excited for this anyway. Not necessarily because I'm a fan of the Supergirl.

Everbody has noted the weird line: "She’s still pretty, but with her face hidden behind glasses and her hair pulled back, she doesn’t know it herself." It's not something that's said about man-heroes. You take it out and you don't miss it. You don't sit there and wonder, well, is she pretty?

Edit: Of the four articles I have on this only the Hollywood Reporter has that second paragraph.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-22-2015), wei yau (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 PM
California Sober

Trust me. She knows it.
BrotherMan (01-22-2015), Janet (01-22-2015), wei yau (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

If you're pretty and you know it bat your lashes.

Sorry, guess I've listened to one too many story hours in my career.

Anyway, about The Flash. I shocked myself this week by realizing that Joe West is fast catching up with Keith Mars in the best TV dad ever stakes. At least in my mind he is. Upon further reflection I have decided that a Joe West/Keith Mars buddy cop show would be the BEST THING EVER. Please make this happen TV.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-22-2015), Ensign Steve (01-22-2015), wei yau (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:21 AM
Tellifying

Kara.

Danvers.

Kara Danvers

KARA DANVERS!!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 AM
Tellifying

Also..."He’s still pretty, but with his face hidden behind glasses and his hair slicked back, he doesn’t know it himself."

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Gotham: Thankfully, Babs hasn't shown up recently to make this show dumber than it needs to be. But it's also been p dumb all on its own anyway. This week they side-introduced Jonathan Crane. At least he's not an adult, rather just the teenage child of a bad guy who has a fear fetish. The previews for next week jump on that button pretty hard.

There are rumors about someone being introduced that could possibly ruin this show forever. But it depends on how it's done, I guess. But who am I kidding? They'll be like DID YOU SEE THAT? GET IT? THAT'S GOING TO BE SO-N-SO! YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS, RIGHT?

Arrow: This show is doing what it do. On one hand, I'm tired of Felicity Smoak always being on the verge of an emotional breakdown. But then look who she (for some reason) continues to work for and how fucked up his life is. She laid it right out this week: His half sister is the daughter of a sworn enemy - with whom he is now working to take down an even more powerful enemy - and she killed a woman he loved (who also worked for this more powerful enemy) - and he seems p okay with it, or at least doesn't have the time or emotional maturity to really deal with it. Crazy, right? But that's why I love the character of Felicity Smoak. She's the gooey humanity of that show. Now there are promotional images of the Atom suit, and I love it.

Flash: I don't know how they do it. This show is by far more goofball-silver-age-nuttiness than anything, but it works. Even if this week I'm disappointed that they handed Cisco the idiot-ball, the regular tone of the show makes me feel good. And this week I fell more harder in love with the character because it shows that he's a good person doing a good thing for the reason that it's good. And the weirdness quotient just went up this week: GRODD makes an appearance. No apologies or explanations. Just a gorilla being evil.

I'm hoping real hard that Supergirl takes this same tone. But unlike Marvel, there isn't one mind setting up all these different universes so we'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-05-2015), Janet (02-05-2015), wei yau (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oops. Forgot about Constantine. The episodes since the break have all been pretty good. I feel bad that every episode with Zed seems worse than the ones without her. I can't tell if it's the actor, the character or the writers. Or some chimera of all three.

I am happy they explained what the deal is with Chas. For the time being he's semi-immortal, thanks to John and a drunken incantation.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 PM

I'm behind on Constantine. I've been out and about or traveling the past couple Fridays and haven't made the effort to catch up. I haven't missed it much, but on your recommendation I may go back.

OK, I'll bite, who is joining Gotham? I've kept up with that, even though two weeks without Billionaire Boy and Butler was two weeks too much. At least Alfred is back looking snidely at people.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Old 02-05-2015, 09:03 PM

So, the man who is making us wait 10 years for Batman has figured out that the audience doesn't like to wait?
:fuuu:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-05-2015), wei yau (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Tellifying

Gah. Today's comics make me feel so damn old!

I can't read a single article about a revamped origin or retcon that doesn't make me all "GET OFFA MAH LAWN!"

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Reading Re: DC Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
And also again, with so many proto-villains showing up in Gotham a full decade before Batman, it's amazing that it took that long for a masked vigilante to show up.
Do not play with my emotions, man.
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-06-2015), wei yau (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Oops. Forgot about Constantine. The episodes since the break have all been pretty good. I feel bad that every episode with Zed seems worse than the ones without her. I can't tell if it's the actor, the character or the writers. Or some chimera of all three.

I am happy they explained what the deal is with Chas. For the time being he's semi-immortal, thanks to John and a drunken incantation.
Meh, I'm not feeling Constantine, I'm not sure why. It just seems less than the sum of its parts and I've watched alot of supernatural.
BrotherMan (02-06-2015), Janet (02-06-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 03:00 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Production for Constantine was halted after 13 episodes and it doesn't look like NBC is going to renew it. But it may not be bad news.

Quote:
I've heard from a couple of sources now that NBC doesn't really want to give up on Constantine and are actively searching for ways to keep the show going. Let me preface the next thing I'm about say with this: the sources have made it clear that this is an IDEA/possible plan being bandied about. So it's not 100% and may not come to pass, but it is one of the more popular ideas being put out there right now amongst the show-heads.

Still with me? Okay. The idea here isn't so much to keep Constantine going on NBC but to move it to the Syfy Channel (where the marathon they ran of the show did very well) and rebranding it as Hellblazer. The new channel would give them a little more freedom to explore some of the darker aspects of the comic and appeal to a broader fanbase.
I would like to think stuffing it on a niche cable channel would afford the show the opportunity to take different chances with the character and material. As in, maybe be darker, more mature, present John more like his comic counterpart.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-03-2015), slimshady2357 (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 09:43 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Based solely on the good word in this thread I started watching The Flash. I'm through about 7 episodes so far and I'm enjoying it. So thank you for testing the waters folks :tiphat:

I haven't seen any Arrow or Gotham and I can't see me starting Gotham from what y'all have been saying. May check out Arrow when I run out of Flash in a couple of days.

I probably like Agents of Shield more than the average :ff:'er, but I think Flash has surpassed it even for me. Agent Carter is #1 of course and Constantine is more comic relief currently. I can't watch it at all seriously, but I'm still watching it. I hope it gets the Syfy treatment Bort mentioned.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'd still suggest giving Gotham a look see. You might like it more than the average bort. An unhealthy portion of my dislike is because of :nerdrage:. There are things to like about the show. Just not all of it is to my liking.

But the Flash is definitely the best of the continuing series. And Agent Peggy Carter is miles ahead of everything else.
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-11-2015), slimshady2357 (02-08-2015), wei yau (02-08-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

It's sort of official, then.

Thanks, from:
Janet (02-11-2015), wei yau (02-10-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 12:32 AM

So, I watched Gotham live this week, because Sean Pertwee. It was the introduction of Jonathan Crane, who we all know will turn into Scarecrow. So what do they do? They show Crane's head in the bottom right of the screen as he's bending over with an actual scarecrow silhouetted against the cloudy, grey, sky in the background of the right half of the screen. I was mentally begging them not to do it, but Gotham does not know subtle.

That one image is pretty much all you need to know about Gotham.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:35 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Go fudge yourself, Gotham. There wasn't a whole lot to care about this episode. All that stuff about how this villain was no joke? It was a totes farce. Quite possibly the thinnest and worst mystery case so far. And, honestly, that's saying something.

And really, nothing else that happened is worth talking about, except to say how bad it was. Oh, and Babs is back and now she's mad that her ex-boyfriend moved on or something.

And I don't get how Fish wasn't killed dead by the other prisoners or shot in the face by the soldier (or whatever they are) guys.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM

Well, yes, Gotham sucks, but on the other hand.

Fuck yeah! I LOVE THE FLASH!

If last night's stinger didn't leave you shouting for more you are dead, or at the very least dead to me.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-18-2015), slimshady2357 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The thing about the Got Ham. If they hadn't promoted the episode as HEY THIS IS THE JOKER (?). It... would have still been an episode of Gotham. Getting people excited (positive or negative) about that aspect of it just made it all the more disappointing. Everyone is all a-buzz about the kid who played the boy but did they see the episode he was in? On one hand within the episode itself there were no references to the Joker himself, thank goodness. (That a suspect laughs maniacally is not enough of a reference.) Or did I miss something because I was rolling my eyes too hard?

I'm watching the Flash right now. I was super excited a couple of episodes ago when they teased that HE existed. Now I'm excited that it's not just an egg but an actual real thing that they are going to pursue. Damn. One of the weirdest enemies not just for Flash but in DC toto makes me feel giddy.
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-18-2015), slimshady2357 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

This just in: Zach Snyder still hates color. Oh, and also first promotional image of Jason Momoa as Aquaman.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-03-2015), Janet (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:11 PM

Oh! That's what Hammer was on about this morning.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-20-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Goddammit, Batman. Stop making things bearable to watch.

Thanks, from:
Janet (03-05-2015), wei yau (03-03-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature