Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 10-17-2009, 03:34 AM
ŧiggermonkey

Smile An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

This thread is an offshoot from the What's up with you? thread. :yes:

Recently, I've thought about starting a thread on the health care of cats and dogs and this seemed like an opportune time, not to mention, I didn't want to derail the other thread. :train:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
I found out tonight that all three of my :dog:s like tofu. :stwitch:

I mean, seriously... wtf dog likes TOFU??? :whoa:
We don't do tofu in the Monde household unless the Chinese take out place slips some in as filler. The dogs love them for that. They also love edamame. Though I hull them for the pups.
I've had tofu in the past, but I've never bought it raw at the store before this. I bought it specifically for the :dog:s. I add that along with canned pumpkin and sardines to their wetted dry food. They freaking LOVE it. They whine for it as I make it up and one dog who normally eats laying down is so excited by it that he eats the first part of it standing up. :lol:

I really wasn't sure how all of this would go over with their taste buds. I started and continue adding these items to their ummies for dietary reasons so, I'm glad they've taken to it like they have. They also all get a vitamin E supplement at night after dinner. :=D
Quote:
My kids get canned pumpkin mixed with their kibble once a month, or every week during the allergy season. Dante will bite himself even with medication. He can get furballs and let us say... irregular. And of course whatever brother gets, sister wants too. They love it.

ETA what kind of VE do you use? I had my boy on 3V caps as a pup, but as he got older he refused to eat them. No kidding, I would put it in his kibble and he would carefully remove it and leave it next to his bowl on the placemat. They I started putting it in food to give him, and he would make himself cough it up. Cutting open the get caps and mixing it in the food led to hunger strikes. I buckled after 36 hours. So it just became more trouble than it was worth for a twice a day vitamin. I found a Science Diet formula with VE and fish oils that he likes but it is more expensive.
I give them one 400 I.U. E softgel (put out by Spring Valley) daily after their dinner which is the one meal that they each get a teaspoon of sardines with. They get a chunk of tofu (maybe two tablespoons?) with their breakfast and also with their dinner, and they get canned pumpkin (a teaspoon for 28 pound Raistlin and a tablespoon each for 43 pound Tigger & 53 pound Shelby) with breakfast, lunch & dinner.

I give them the Vitamin E softgels via opening their mouths and placing it to the back of their mouths, lifting their snouts up while rubbing their throats and talking to them. Then they all get a treat. Then I wash my hands. :gross:

Raistlin has swallowed a pill for a day since he was a puppy so he's used to it and he's never had a problem with it. (knowing that he'll always get a treat afterward helps too :dog:) Tigger and Shelby, except for the occasional Ascriptin (Maalox coated aspirin), are new to it, but while not necessarily thrilled with it, are not too bad about it either. :shrug:

These additions to their dry food began a couple months ago in an effort to help my dog, Raistlin, through diet, with his condition called inflammatory bowel disease. I started with the vitamin E first, and then when his symptoms were somewhat under control, I added the canned pumpkin. Just a couple of weeks ago is when I added the sardines (packed in water) and just this week is when I added the tofu.

I didn't add the vitamin E to my other two dog's diets until I began giving them sardines. The canned pumpkin I've been giving to all of them since I started with it because not only does canned pumpkin have hardly any calories and comes vitamin packed, but it also helped with Shelby's constipation. :thumbup:

The vitamin E, sardines and tofu are ideas that I got from this book :rarrow: Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets ~ The Healthful Alternative by Donald R. Strombeck, DVM, PhD. I tried the pumpkin after extensive research on the net.

Raistlin is presently taking 10 mg. of prednisone every other day for the inflammatory bowel disease. This dosage is considerably lower than he had been on for a few months in an effort to try to get this autoimmune disease under control. He is also presently taking a small dose of azathioprine once a week which is also a considerably lower dose than he had been on for awhile. Eventually, I hope to have him taking only 5 mg. of prednisone every other day like he had been taking for years prior to him contracting whipworms which caused his bowels to retaliate, and the azathioprine either once a month or not at all. I'd much rather nix the azathioprine all together if possible. His belly fur is just starting to grow back now that his dosage has been reduced. I love giving belly rubs to his newly, softly furred belly. :^^ It reminds me of how far he's come since The Battle of The Bowels. :cheerful:

I also give him one chewable levothyroxine sodium tablet twice a day to treat his hypothyroidism. That, he will be taking for the rest of his life, which I hope to be as long and healthy as possible. :heart:

In his case, more fiber rather than less fiber helps his condition, so for awhile he was eating Hill's Science Diet w/d which is loaded with fiber. He's now been weaned back to what he had been eating which was Hill's Science Diet Light, which, while it doesn't have as much as the w/d, it also has a lot of fiber.

His situation was looking pretty bad a few months ago :worry: but he's doing considerably better these days. :bliss:

Have any stories or health tips you'd like to share about your fur kids? :dotell:
Crumb (10-19-2009), Stormlight (10-17-2009), vremya (11-08-2009), Watser? (10-17-2009)
Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 AM
ŧiggermonkey

Smile Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

Due to the Great Pumpkin Shortage of 2009, I ordered Sunday and received today, a case of 6 - 6 pound, 10 ounce cans of Libby's canned pumpkin from TheWEBstaurant store. :jack: After shipping costs were factored in, I paid exactly, per ounce, what I would have paid at the supermarket. Everywhere else I found on the net was more expensive. :payup:

I also found a local store that sells a variety of ethnic foods, including Asian, to buy the tofu at a much cheaper price. There, I can pick up an 18 ounce package of tofu for :dollah:1.50 as opposed to :dollah:2.50 for 14 ounces at the supermarket. :spend:

The sardines I buy for :dollah:1 to :dollah:1.25 a can and seeing as how they only go through a little more than a can a week, that's pretty cheap too. :yes:

All in all, I'm spending less money now on their eats and treats than I was before I got them all uber healthy and the best part is that they absolutely :heart: their eats now. :cheerful: All three dance and prance around and even whine a little as I get their meals ready. Of course, dinner with sardines is their ultimate favorite. :drool:

Happy :dog:s make for a happy :tiggermonkey:.

:biggrin:
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM
ŧiggermonkey

Default Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

Since this thread isn't going anywhere, I've decided to move my two posts to my blog:

So, if anyone's interested, that's where any further posts of mine regarding this topic will be. :=)
Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 AM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

I don't have pets. But if I did, I'd join the discussion. I used to keep, raise and show Siamese Fighting Fish. I can talk about bloodworms, tubifex worms, shrimp napuli, beef heart....
Thanks, from:
FieryPeanut (02-07-2011), Gonzo (12-21-2009), Shelli (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 AM
Done

Fortunately, my dog has no conditions to treat, so he eats the typical dog food. However whenever I eat cottage cheese, he gets a heaping spoonful onto his food. He also gets drippings from cooked meats and one special treat a day.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

My cat loves chives. If I snip some for people foods she freaks the fuck out -- you know those connected ululating meows -- until I give her some. I figure she loves it so much because she's an indoor cat and she doesn't get a chance to gnaw on greenery every day.

She's young and healthy so I don't have any complex procedures to contribute. She did have a gingivitis problem which switching her dry food to Science Diet Oral Care seems to have resolved. It's really just a bigger kibble, but it gives her something to work on so I guess it cleans her teeth better than the normal size.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (10-23-2009), Vivisectus (10-07-2013)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
California Sober

I keep posting about my kitty in the misc thread because I thought this one was about Shelleh's zoo. I'm happy to make this a general fur baby thread every time I feel like :blahblah: about V.
Shelli (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 02:50 PM
ŧiggermonkey

Smile Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
I don't have pets. But if I did, I'd join the discussion. I used to keep, raise and show Siamese Fighting Fish. I can talk about bloodworms, tubifex worms, shrimp napuli, beef heart....
Cool :joecool2: I can't see why we can't talk about whatever kind of pet one has/had here. :yes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
Fortunately, my dog has no conditions to treat, so he eats the typical dog food. However whenever I eat cottage cheese, he gets a heaping spoonful onto his food.
My dogs :heart: cottage cheese too and it's good for most dogs. :dog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
My cat loves chives. If I snip some for people foods she freaks the fuck out -- you know those connected ululating meows -- until I give her some. I figure she loves it so much because she's an indoor cat and she doesn't get a chance to gnaw on greenery every day.
Huh, cool, I'll see if my cats like chives. :thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I keep posting about my kitty in the misc thread because I thought this one was about Shelleh's zoo. I'm happy to make this a general fur baby thread every time I feel like :blahblah: about V.
Please do. :=)
FieryPeanut (02-07-2011)
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Jeeves liked chives so much we couldn't keep the plants in the house. He would eat them to the ground and them dump them over.
livius drusus (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM

I had to close my chive plant in the guest room earlier this week when there was an overnight frost warning. If I had given her the chance, Velvet would have made sweet, violent love to it all night.
Thanks, from:
Old 10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

My two chive plants stayed out all winter with the 8-10 inches of snow and all and come back as healthy as ever this spring.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
I had to close my chive plant in the guest room earlier this week when there was an overnight frost warning. If I had given her the chance, Velvet would have made sweet, violent love to it all night.
This sounds interesting. I may have to get a plant and witness some hot cat on herb action for myself.
FieryPeanut (02-07-2011)
Old 10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
ŧiggermonkey

:catthrust:

:giggle:
Ensign Steve (10-23-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 03:43 AM
ŧiggermonkey

I've decided to entirely nix the azathioprine that I've been slowly weaning Raistlin off of. He'd now be down to one dose every two weeks and then the next month, just one a month, and then either nixed or one a month indefinitely, but this is the third straight week in a row that the only day he got diarrhea was the day that I gave him this drug. Well, considering that the whole purpose of this very strong drug with very nasty side effects is to prevent him from having diarrhea, I've made the executive decision to nix it and screw the vet if he doesn't like it. So there. :hmph:

On a positive note, he's so much better now that I can give him his liver treats again and I bought them baby carrots for the first time in months that they love to crunch away at. :killercarrot:
Vivisectus (10-07-2013)
Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
California Sober

V loves to eat moths. He likes to hunt and play with any kind of creeping or flying thing, but the only species he actually chooses to ingest after he's done playing is moths.

Whenever we find a moth in the house, we knock it down to the floor for V. One time he had two going at once, and he wasn't sure how to handle them both, so he gobbled the first one up quick so he could take his time playing with the other one.

One time he ate about seven moths in a day and then puked on the floor. :giggles:
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 AM
ŧiggermonkey

Crazy cat. :billcat:
Old 10-28-2009, 02:44 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Not a health related post from my pack, but Mr. Monde found a little foundling puppy girl, no more than 4 months old trying to cross a busy street. Itty bitty tricolor girl. No collar no microchip. Just a vet leash. I hope I hope I hope we can find the owner. :crossfingers:
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
ŧiggermonkey

:crossed:
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Science Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

A friend of mine found an abandoned kitteh after work. It wasn't even weened and some ass dumped it!
  • kitteh! :purr:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitteh.jpg (105.8 KB, 12 views)
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (10-28-2009), livius drusus (10-28-2009), Shelli (10-28-2009), Stormlight (10-30-2009), Vivisectus (10-07-2013), vremya (11-08-2009), Watser? (10-28-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Fishy mokey

That's how I adopted a cat once. Left in a box at a gas station. Had to bottle feed him and clean him with cotton balls.
Vivisectus (10-07-2013)
Old 10-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Kitteh! He doesn't even look real. He looks like a plushie. :squee:

How's the puppy doing, Demi?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

A scary open mouth real doll plushie, but yeah. (I kid, that's a cutie kitty!)

The puppy is good. She was abandoned we think. I got more details from Mr. Monde, and he is a sucker. He was flagged down by a couple who had the dog in an empty lot as he was coming from the highway, which is weird. We think now that they were about to dump her in the lot, but as a last ditch effort tried to flag someone down with their story. They told him that they had just found her trying to cross the street with only the leash, and were looking for the owner, (in a giant empty lot in a comercial area?) and that they couldn't keep it in the apartment that they lived. He told them how he had found the owner of the beagle boy this summer and reccomended craigslist, getting him checked for microchip, helpful hints, etc. This was responded to with a wave of excuses, no internet, no gas money, no ability to take care of the dog. They asked him to take the pup and try to find an owner. "An owner." He was hesitant, but they pressured him since he knew so much about dogs. He relented and they showered him with praises on what a good person he is and how wonderful what he was doing. And then the girl contradicted herself from earlier when she said they found her with the leash, "you can keep the leash," she said. Really?

I think Mr. Monde was hoping he could keep her, plus he was getting bad vibes from the people. We went around the area anyway to look for owners just in case. Took her to the vet to see if she had a microchip. The vet said that she was under weight, though she was really clean for a dog that would have been walking the muddy streets around here. Her paws were spotless and pink. Our dogs go outside for five minutes and need their feet cleaned. So yeah, I had to tell Mr. Monde he was suckered. We put up signs anyway, and an ad on craigslist, but a friend of ours who was wanting a pup picked her up and fell in love with her. If real owners come forward we will reunite them, but based on what he told me, I think that the jerks in the lot were the only owners. She's a sweet pup, and will have a great home regardless. I hate this economy.
livius drusus (10-28-2009), S.Vashti (10-29-2009), SharonDee (10-29-2009), Shelli (10-28-2009), Stormlight (10-30-2009), vremya (11-08-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Music Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

Quote:
A scary open mouth real doll plushie, but yeah. (I kid, that's a cutie kitty!)
OMG, so almost means! Kitteh was just lip smacking from being bottle fed and you go and make a turrbile joke at kitteh's expense! (Don't know if it's male or female so it gets the neutral kitteh.)

She (the new owner) wants to name kitteh "Sunny" because kitteh was found in the Sunoco parking lot where she works. I dubbed kitteh "Youtube" because she said it was like having a youtube right in the apartment. Obviously, my name is cuter and most hipster and should win, but an orange kitteh named Sunny cannot be denied either.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (10-28-2009), freemonkey (11-26-2009), Shelli (10-28-2009), Stormlight (10-30-2009), Vivisectus (10-07-2013), vremya (11-08-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
BrotherMan (10-28-2009), Demimonde (11-03-2009), freemonkey (11-26-2009), livius drusus (10-28-2009), Shelli (10-28-2009), Smilin (10-28-2009), Sock Puppet (10-28-2009), Stormlight (10-30-2009), vremya (11-08-2009), Watser? (10-28-2009)
Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Someday (said in a wistful tone), I will have a home of my own, with a dog and a cat, and an aquarium of beautiful fish... my pets, my companions, my friends that keep me content and amused.

My sister is just not working out as a pet.
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (11-26-2009), Shelli (10-29-2009), Stormlight (10-30-2009)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle