Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 07-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Admin

Default Muscle Strain

I guess that's what it's called.

Okay first let's get the laughing at me out of the way: Yes, when I stepped out of the shower this morning and vigorously towel dried my hair as I have done every single morning of my life (when I've showered) I jerked a little too hard or a little crooked or something, and pulled a muscle in my neck.

So I'm in some mild pain now. I took an ibuprofen and I've been doing some gentle stretches, but basically the effort it takes to hold my head up straight hurts. I am considering putting ice on it but that has never seemed to help when I've pulled muscles in the past. Shit. This couldn't possibly have happened at a worse time. :(

Okay... going to lie down now.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Resurrected!

Default Re: Muscle Strain

:hug:

I've done that several times before. Not towel-drying my hair, but damn, it still hurt. :(
Old 07-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Solipsist

:massage:

Have you tried heat? You might not feel much like heading to the shops to get a hot-pack (there are microwavable versions and boil-in-the-bag versions - yes really), but there are various other approaches. I remember something to do with dried beans which heat well in the microwave or oven.

Or take a stiff whisky and go to bed.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 07-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Admin

Thanks you guys.

Actually I read on the 'net that you're supposed to use ice for the first day, then heat if it doesn't get better by the following day. First I took an ibuprofen and went to bed. Slept for a couple hours. Then I put a bag of frozen spinach on my neck for a long time. :P

I was starving and everything in the house is packed 'cause I'm moving, so I had to go out and get chinese takeout. I did fine driving except when I was trying to back out of the parking space at the restaurant I realized I couldn't look backward. Heh.

Anyway I just took another Advil (it's been at least six hours, no? Eh, doesn't matter, they're only 200mg) and I'm gonna lie down again. It still hurts but it's not as sharp now. I'm hoping it'll be all but gone by the morning. If not my moving plans are seriously screwed. :(
Old 07-30-2004, 11:24 PM
This space is for rent

I hope you feel better tomorrow. Just 3 days ago as I was getting into bed I somehow did something to my back inbetween the spine and shoulder. The pain lasted 2 days, but was better on the second day and all but gone the third (today). On day 1 I was taking 4 ibuprofen at a time and alternating with aspirin. I was a pill popping fool I tell ya.

Does taking 1 ibuprofen actually do anything for you?
Old 07-30-2004, 11:58 PM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
...Then I put a bag of frozen spinach on my neck for a long time. :P

I was starving and everything in the house is packed 'cause I'm moving, so I had to go out and get chinese takeout. ...
What, the spinach wasn't good enough?
:quaff: <--- ok, so that's not a can of spinach, but it did remind of Popeye's usual spinach eating technique.

I hope you feel better soon! Nothing worse than absolutely having to get something done right now and not feeling well enough to do it.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonac
I hope you feel better tomorrow. Just 3 days ago as I was getting into bed I somehow did something to my back inbetween the spine and shoulder. The pain lasted 2 days, but was better on the second day and all but gone the third (today). On day 1 I was taking 4 ibuprofen at a time and alternating with aspirin. I was a pill popping fool I tell ya.
I do that to my back every couple of years. This is the first time I've done it to my neck. I used to get bad stiff necks from sleeping when I was a child, but haven't really as an adult.

Quote:
Does taking 1 ibuprofen actually do anything for you?
I don't think so. Hell I used to take two before bed to prevent a hangover or in the morning if I forgot before bed. I'm just a little paranoid about drugs these days, but I probably should be taking more.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescifish
What, the spinach wasn't good enough?
:quaff: <--- ok, so that's not a can of spinach, but it did remind of Popeye's usual spinach eating technique.
Heh. That's cute. :)

Quote:
I hope you feel better soon! Nothing worse than absolutely having to get something done right now and not feeling well enough to do it.
Indeed. The knowledge that it will probably only last a couple of days doesn't make me feel much better given everything I have to do this weekend.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:22 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Heh, welcome to my world.

I treat my back and neck shockingly. Yes, I even injure myself in my sleep. IN MY SLEEP. I've woken up with pulled neck muscles and backstrain and I have no idea how they got like that.

I did it last night as well. Though I was awake at the time, and rolling onto my side I pulled a muscle in my shoulder/neck/collarbone region, which is actually a new thing for me. "Look ma! I managed to pull a muscle I've never done before!". It's not too bad this morning, though I have a headache and wasn't able to sleep properly.

I wouldn't recommend too much cold-treatment unless it starts to swell. And only go cold within the first 24 hours, or longer if recommended by a phsysio/masseur/doc. Getting it massaged can be fun, or if it's serious, usually I take a little walk to the physio (thank gods I'm still covered by my parent's family healthcover) and get them to do some work on it. They usually spray the muscle with this cold-spray stuff after they've done the work on it, and it helps keep any extra swelling down that may come up because of whatever they've done.

Buying a heat-pillow was one of the best things I ever did. It's like a little warm animal that sits around your neck. They're absolutely terrific and I think they're made out of wheat or something. You can get them with lavendar in them too, which smells nice when you heat it up in the microwave.

If it's still swollen or severely inflamed (read: Anti-Inflams don't help) after the first 24 hours, and you don't want to see a physio about it, usually alternation hot/cold will help, then after 2 days it's only hot. The problem is (I learned this playing netball and therefore growing up with a childhood full of sprained and badly twisted ankles) after that amount of time the damaged material starts to build up in the area, and can prolong the injury. Heat therapy helps clean that away. Cold just causes the muscle to freeze up more and more of it to build up.

Taking 1 ibuprofen will help only if you're sensitive to the stuff, which, with the average Western individual, isn't likely. Best painkiller ever: Mercyndol. I don't know what this stuff is called in the US, but they use it in hospitals for trauma patients, apparently. It helped me survive high school.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:24 AM
Admin

Youch.

Okay yeah, I should probably take more ibuprofen before bed tonight. It feels much better now, though. Not all better, but the pain is definitely on the decline. :)
Old 07-31-2004, 05:21 AM
A fellow sophisticate

"Think about how good it will feel after it quits hurting."--my asshole step-grandpa every time someone got hurt

Warren
Old 07-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
"Think about how good it will feel after it quits hurting."--my asshole step-grandpa every time someone got hurt
Hehe. I was thinking about that earlier. Well, more specifically I was thinking about how I take it for granted that it doesn't hurt normally, and wondering how long it'll be before I get to start taking it for granted again.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
You should have beat him around the knees with a baseball bat.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
You should have beat him around the knees with a baseball bat.
He probably did.

Actually, why stop there? Unless Warn was only 3 at the time he could probably reach the crotch. :couldn't find the obvious smilie for this:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 07-31-2004, 07:10 PM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
:couldn't find the obvious smilie for this:
It doesn't involve a baseball bat, but ... :balls3:
Old 08-01-2004, 12:55 AM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Blech. I've pulled muscles by stretching or doing mundane things before..not fun.

Currently, I do have several stiff and sore muscles...but I didn't get them from stretching strangely when I woke up... :D :woohoo: :pleased:
Old 08-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Nonconformist

Hmmmm.....I'm not a doctor, etc. I do have experience with neck and back pain. Although what you did very well could be just muscle strain, have you considered that you could have a bulging or herniated disc? A bulging disc in your neck can cause exactly what you are describing.

I ruptured a disc in my lower back several years ago and developed radiating pain and loss of muscle control in my leg. I eventually had to have surgery.

I'm not trying to scare you or suggest that you might have injured an intervertebral disc, but you might want to look into it if the pain persists or if you re-injure your neck in the same place later.

Good luck with it. I hope it clears up soon.

Cool Hand
Old 08-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Northier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
I guess that's what it's called.

Okay first let's get the laughing at me out of the way: Yes, when I stepped out of the shower this morning and vigorously towel dried my hair as I have done every single morning of my life (when I've showered) I jerked a little too hard or a little crooked or something, and pulled a muscle in my neck.

So I'm in some mild pain now. I took an ibuprofen and I've been doing some gentle stretches, but basically the effort it takes to hold my head up straight hurts. I am considering putting ice on it but that has never seemed to help when I've pulled muscles in the past. Shit. This couldn't possibly have happened at a worse time. :(

Okay... going to lie down now.
Ha! As far as absurd injuries go I got you beat.

I once broke a rib while delivering the first lecture of the semester. Bent over slightly to pick up the text-book and show it to the class, and pop, ...managed to wheeze out; "class dismissed" and go home. Now that's laughable!

Seriously, I hope you feelk better. Mosyt of these things seem to go away after awhile, but if it doesn't then see somebody soon.

(Okay, I had previously broken the rib, so it was technically a rebreak, but just the same.)
Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Admin

Thanks guys.

I don't think it's a herniated disc and I'm certain it's not a fractured rib, but then what do I know? I do, however, have an anxiety disorder, so I'd like to thank you Cool Hand and Brim for giving me even more to obsessively fear. The mere thought that I could break a rib by bending over literally sent a chill through me.

Anyway the neck has gradually improved in the few days since that happened, to the point where it's almost back to normal now. It would probably be entirely back to normal but for my having loaded a truck, driven halfway across the country and unloaded said truck in that timeframe.

Or so I hope...

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle