Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Mortality.

My wife is having a hysterectomy in 8 days due to Uterine cancer and my younger daughter is having fits. She asked me how I am doing, so I explained that I have dealt with the issues many years ago. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and have been aware of just how close to death I am ever since. My son is in a similar situation, having survived lymphoma, but neither of my daughters have been in that situation and neither has my wife, so they are all having to deal with it now. I really upset my one daughter and wife, when I made the observation that since I am retired and no longer taking care of 2 of my grandchildren as often, I like to lay down on the couch in the afternoon and take a rest or a nap. I remember that my father had been outside mowing the lawn during the morning, and as he usually does, he came in and laid down on the couch, he died in his sleep, and when I mentioned that, my wife and daughter got really upset. I guess the point is that some people live through a situation that makes them aware of their own mortality, and others do not and can't quite understand.
Angakuk (06-09-2016), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-08-2016), lisarea (06-13-2016), Stormlight (06-09-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Always keep cool.

Default Re: Mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
My wife is having a hysterectomy in 8 days due to Uterine cancer and my younger daughter is having fits. She asked me how I am doing, so I explained that I have dealt with the issues many years ago. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and have been aware of just how close to death I am ever since. My son is in a similar situation, having survived lymphoma, but neither of my daughters have been in that situation and neither has my wife, so they are all having to deal with it now. I really upset my one daughter and wife, when I made the observation that since I am retired and no longer taking care of 2 of my grandchildren as often, I like to lay down on the couch in the afternoon and take a rest or a nap. I remember that my father had been outside mowing the lawn during the morning, and as he usually does, he came in and laid down on the couch, he died in his sleep, and when I mentioned that, my wife and daughter got really upset. I guess the point is that some people live through a situation that makes them aware of their own mortality, and others do not and can't quite understand.

I am sorry to hear it thedoc, but i hope you are all right considering the circumstances....and i wish the best for your wife....
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON IS THE MASTER !!
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (06-20-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awareness View Post
I am sorry to hear it thedoc, but i hope you are all right considering the circumstances....and i wish the best for your wife....
Thankyou, I'll tell her.
Awareness (06-13-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Arrival is at 5:45 AM, it must be the night shift that is up at that time in the morning. The surgery is at 7:00 AM, why do these doctors need to start so early in the morning, couldn't they schedule things at a more civilized time of day?
Angakuk (06-16-2016), JoeP (06-16-2016), lisarea (06-16-2016), Stormlight (06-20-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

That does suck, but getting in so early in the morning is probably a little easier on her, with the fasting and all. It'd be tougher on her to get up at a normal hour and get ready to go without being able to eat or drink anything, including coffee or even water.

I hope everything goes well for you guys. Keep us posted.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:25 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

It's all about their tee time at the golf course.
Stormlight (06-20-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Also, I think it's better to get it done earlier in the day--things happen during procedures that take more time that was initially thought would be required, and the time available for later procedures gets truncated. That's how Mrs. S ended up with nasal surgery that removed only half of her polyps--late in the day, and a doctor who didn't want to stay late.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-16-2016), Crumb (06-16-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShottleBop View Post
Also, I think it's better to get it done earlier in the day--things happen during procedures that take more time that was initially thought would be required, and the time available for later procedures gets truncated. That's how Mrs. S ended up with nasal surgery that removed only half of her polyps--late in the day, and a doctor who didn't want to stay late because it would cause him to miss his tee time.
:fixed:
ShottleBop (06-16-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Best of luck to you guys!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm Deplorable.

She seems to have gone through the surgery OK, but she comes out of anesthesia slowly and she was drifting in and out of sleep, so I left around noon and I'll be going back in shortly. The surgeon said there was no indication that the cancer had spread, but we'll know more when the results of the tests come back, hopefully later today.
Angakuk (06-16-2016), lisarea (06-16-2016), ShottleBop (06-16-2016), Stephen Maturin (06-18-2016), Stormlight (06-20-2016), The Man (06-16-2016), Vivisectus (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Always keep cool.

Quote:
She seems to have gone through the surgery OK, but she comes out of anesthesia slowly and she was drifting in and out of sleep, so I left around noon and I'll be going back in shortly. The surgeon said there was no indication that the cancer had spread, but we'll know more when the results of the tests come back, hopefully later today.
Then i 'll try to pray for you, but i wish you and your wife and your daughter a lot of strength thedoc
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

Old 06-17-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm Deplorable.

We're home.
Angakuk (06-17-2016), JoeP (06-17-2016), Stormlight (06-20-2016), The Man (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Always keep cool.

Quote:
We're home.
Okay thedoc

Old 07-17-2016, 11:55 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner, but we have had the 1 week follow up when we were told that there was no indication that the cancer had spread, and she was given permission to drive but not to go back to work. We also had the 3 week follow up and she was told that she could go beck to work, but only desk work, and the lifting restriction still applied. She's getting antsy to do things, so I'm thinking that she is feeling better.
Angakuk (07-18-2016), JoeP (07-18-2016), lisarea (07-18-2016), livius drusus (07-20-2016), ShottleBop (07-18-2016), Stephen Maturin (07-19-2016), Stormlight (07-19-2016), Vivisectus (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

glad to hear things went well!

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy