Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Solipsist

Default Re: New And Improved Rant Thread, now with 50% more profanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
HELLO OLD THRAD. I WANT GOOGLE TO KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE.
:tink:

"Goddamn motherfucking shitknockers" - Google Search

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-27-2018), Crumb (01-28-2018), lisarea (01-27-2018), SR71 (01-27-2018), Stormlight (01-29-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

For some reasons, I ended up rubbing my tongue over a thread on some other forum about lamp-phone atrocities just to see if it still hurt (it does), and here is a picture of one of the most offensive things have seen in all of my days:

offensive.jpg

Swears for this post: Front bottom, lamp-phone, steampunk, upcycle.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-02-2018), But (02-02-2018), Stormlight (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:04 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

:confused:

It looks interesting and I can't decide if I should be offended or not as long as I don't know what that is. Lamp phone?
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-02-2018), Stormlight (02-05-2018), Watser? (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Who was lamp? :loseit:
lisarea (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
:confused:

It looks interesting and I can't decide if I should be offended or not as long as I don't know what that is. Lamp phone?
Oops, I just posted the thumbnail, I think. The larger picture is here:

The thread is a collection of pictures from ebay and etsy and stuff where people get their hands on old, often perfectly functional phones, and then drill a fucking hole right through the middle of them and put fittings in to make them into lamps. A lot of the phones are rare, and it's a phone collector forum, so it's particularly painful to the people on that forum.

Now, I am not really a phone collector, so I don't know the specifics of what that model of phone is, but it is a very old wooden wall phone that appears to have been largely intact* before some goober found it, drilled it all to fuck, and added a bunch of superfluous shit to it to make it look more steampunk. My guess is that the light works, because any fucking idiot can do that, but the coil, the dials, and the fucking SPIGOT on the side are all cosmetic. And if there were any doubt that the phone itself was destroyed in the process, look at the cord for the earpiece. It's a piece of rope.

The thing is, if you appreciate industrial design, you appreciate the function of things. That's the point. These people eliminate the function and turn them into far stupider and less usable machines, and this particular one adds a bunch of nonsensical cosmetic features that vaguely look like what a five year old might think a complicated machine would look like, and they add insult to injury by calling it upcycling.

Makes me want to go to their house and 'upcycle' their fucking comic books or something.

* And even when the internals aren't totally working, they're usually easy to fix, because old phones were leased to customers from the Bell System, so they were built to be sturdy and easy to repair.
Thanks, from:
But (02-02-2018), Crumb (02-02-2018), ImGod (05-17-2018), JoeP (02-02-2018), Kael (02-02-2018), Sock Puppet (02-03-2018), Stormlight (02-05-2018), Watser? (02-03-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:22 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
What the fuck? I found some other stories just now about this happening to other people too. It's looking like it's pretty common for AXS to take your money, at least temporarily, and then fail the transaction so you don't even get what you were trying to buy.
Hackers, that's my only explanation. I made a single $94.94 payment with an additional $100 toward principal to a creditor last month. It looked like it failed, I tried again twice. And my bank account got hit with all three. Fortunately, Kubota Credit cut me a check for the erroneous deposits a couple weeks after I called them about it.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM

I lean toward them just being straight up incompetent and evil. AXS was supposed to be a competitor to Ticketmaster that would solve the problem of scalping, but somehow this plan involves straight up selling tickets to scalpers (StubHub) and advertising the scalped tickets on their site.

Anyways, I apparently did get the tickets I wanted, but I haven't yet received the official confirmation from the site. It tells you right up front you don't get confirmation until the 5th, but you get a free CD with each ticket, and I already got the confirmation codes for those from a totally other company. I cannot imagine why they have that confirmation delay. They seem to have gotten it to that other company. What kind of sketchy shit is going on that they can't just send immediate order confirmation like every other online business in the world?

I just ordered some replacement keycaps for my keyboards from a site run by one guy in his spare time, and I got confirmation in like thirty seconds.

OH AND ALSO, I emailed customer support because I wanted to check to see if it showed the purchase there, but I couldn't log into my stupid account. It took a week for them to email me a generic form letter telling me where the Help section of their website is. You know, the Help section of their website where I submitted the question.

It's like they suck on purpose. Maybe the only reason they even exist is to make Ticketmaster look slightly less awful by comparison.

Anyway, I hate them, and it's ridiculous that this is such a huge problem. We should solve scalping by making it illegal, and solve the service fee problem by making it illegal for the sellers to add non-tax charges to advertised prices. Make it a crime to sell a ticket for a penny over the face value, and then the only thing ticketsellers have to do is conduct simple transactions.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (02-05-2018), Crumb (02-04-2018), curses (02-05-2018), JoeP (02-04-2018), slimshady2357 (02-04-2018), Sock Puppet (02-05-2018), SR71 (02-05-2018), Stormlight (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Solipsist

I may have said this before, but probably not often enough.

Lisarea for president!

Thanks, from:
ceptimus (02-05-2018), lisarea (02-04-2018), slimshady2357 (02-04-2018), Stormlight (02-05-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Forum Killer

I think I'm falling out of love with digital art. I'm starting to understand what the cult of artists and cameras and color spaces and displays is about. 21 years ago we got robbed, and the artists were the only ones who noticed.

Computers once had richer color than we get now. I remember. I'd put it down to nostalgia and younger eyes, until I noticed how badly my own art photograped; a little digging confirmed the moment computer monitors began to suck - 1996. That's when HP and Microsoft unified computer and HTDV color standards into one thing, sRGB. Adoption was fast and universal because nothing had to change - they just downrated everything to television color standards and called it a day.

So your computer, your scanner, even your cameras for the last 21 years have been designed to the vibrant and exacting color fidelity of a 1982 television broadcast. Fucking fuck.

It's only a little difference, right?

No, we got robbed. (False color on left, I can't show you the real color, but its not grey.)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I finally figured out what I hate the most about AutoTune. There’s a lot to hate, which is why it took so long. It’s not that there are uncounted, heartbreakingly talented people out there who will never get recognition, while the fearful, risk-averse (or better, risk-terrified) reptiles keep grooming useful idiots to record utter dogshit that sells enough to keep their investments safe and secure. That’s been status quo for decades; before AutoTune they just used lower-tech methods to keep the industry packed to the gills with such lucrative dogshit.

So what is it? It’s the way AutoTune rubs our faces in it. As in, hah hah you stupid rubes, we can sell any turd we want and polish it up nice for you, and you'll eat it and come back for more.

And for those of you who might have talent but actually use this hideous shit on purpose, even to an exaggerated degree, because the electronic trill is a sound you want to cultivate: fuck you extra. Everyone’s assumption should be that you have no fucking talent whatsoever if you use this crap.

Yeah, yeah, welcome to 10 years ago. This one place I go for lunch plays this shit like it’s cutting edge, though.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-17-2018), BrotherMan (05-16-2018), But (05-17-2018), ImGod (05-17-2018), JoeP (05-17-2018), lisarea (05-16-2018), slimshady2357 (05-16-2018), specious_reasons (05-16-2018), SR71 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

It takes a trained ear to hear if AutoTune is being used when it's not being a substitute for a vocal effect.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Coffin Creep

Bort can tell by the pixels.
BrotherMan (05-17-2018), JoeP (05-17-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-16-2018), Sock Puppet (05-18-2018), SR71 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
I think I'm falling out of love with digital art. I'm starting to understand what the cult of artists and cameras and color spaces and displays is about. 21 years ago we got robbed, and the artists were the only ones who noticed.

Computers once had richer color than we get now. I remember. I'd put it down to nostalgia and younger eyes, until I noticed how badly my own art photograped; a little digging confirmed the moment computer monitors began to suck - 1996. That's when HP and Microsoft unified computer and HTDV color standards into one thing, sRGB. Adoption was fast and universal because nothing had to change - they just downrated everything to television color standards and called it a day.

So your computer, your scanner, even your cameras for the last 21 years have been designed to the vibrant and exacting color fidelity of a 1982 television broadcast. Fucking fuck.

It's only a little difference, right?

No, we got robbed. (False color on left, I can't show you the real color, but its not grey.)
This explains why my 15" Sony CRT from about... 1996 looks so lively.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (12-11-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:01 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
Bort can tell by the pixels.
The bears can smell the pixels. :shhh:
BrotherMan (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Yeah, yeah, welcome to 10 years ago. This one place I go for lunch plays this shit like it’s cutting edge, though.
I absolutely hate it and apart from a handful of songs about twenty years ago I had the impression that it was never a big deal in Europe and the US, but my girlfriend and her friends listen to this African pop music (stuff that's brand new) and every single fucking song uses that godawful Autotune trololo. When I complained after a while they didn't even understand what I was talking about.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-18-2018), Sock Puppet (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:02 PM
the internet says I'm right

I like autotune when it's used as a deliberate electronic effect, at least some of the time. It's pretty hit-and-miss though, and a lot of people use it really lazily.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (05-18-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 03:45 PM

Why do news sites here cover a whole page or more just with headlines about that stupid royal wedding nonsense? I don't live there, I don't give a shit about it and these clowns shouldn't even exist if the Brits had done what people did in civilized countries and chopped their goddamn heads off.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (05-19-2018), JoeP (05-20-2018), lisarea (05-19-2018), slimshady2357 (05-19-2018), Sock Puppet (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Wait, are you implying Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Luxembourg, and Lichtenstein aren't civilized? :freakout:

Thanks, from:
JoeP (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 PM

If they have a king or something, they probably still burn witches. So yes.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 PM
puzzler

We did try chopping off our King's head back in 1649 and became a republic for a while. But we found the new system was no better so went back to being a monarchy eleven years later.

Maybe we should give it another try - but the danger is we might end up electing President Blair or some other horror.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:53 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Yesterday did not go at all as planned.

Work was just OK, it wasn't a particularly productive day, and I left (slightly) early to run some errands while I still had daylight.

We're planning a trip in the RV this weekend, and when I was filling it up the night before, there was a slow drip in the fuel tank line. Well, a slow drip isn't so bad, until you have to fill a 35 gallon gas tank. It wound up being quite a puddle of gas.

Since we're going to be using it soon, I decided I needed to fix or patch this. I don't think it's an issue while the RV is sitting or driving, it's only a problem on fueling it up. However, I know we will need to fill it up at least once. I opted to try to patch it first, since I don't trust being able to find and replace the part in a day. I drive to the auto parts store because I want some sealant, and I know that they have some. No problems there, until I get back in my car to drive home. It won't start.

The car's battery was not giving it enough power to start. It's a good thing I'm at the auto parts store! Only, they don't have the battery I need. They call up the store the next town over, and they have a battery. They put it on hold, and I get a jump from the store. Except for a few minor issues, that part gets resolved.

I'm not too unhappy - the battery was 4 years old (at least), and has already recently died (I did a post on that). I probably could have gotten a battery for less, but I'm not going to quibble too much about price when the store gave me a jumpstart and had the tools on hand to replace it right there.

I finally get home, and have the idea to shine a bright light down the fuel tank line to find the leak. No luck. Based on a visual inspection, I guess where I need to patch and apply the sealant. This goes OK until I realize the sealant is dissolving the glove I'm using! I was also quite a bit overzealous with the amounts, and it starts dripping down. I was at least intelligent enough to not be directly underneath it when I was applying the sealant. I did get a little bit of the stuff on the shoulder of my hoodie, and a bit on my (now bare) hands, but was otherwise unsealed.

I don't know if I fixed the problem, but I guess I will find out next time I refill it.

After all that, I change clothes and sit back on the couch. I had tossed my bag on the couch when I got home, so I decide to move my bag. I attempt to put it up on the table behind me, dislocating my shoulder in the process. I must look like a idiot when I dislocate my shoulder, because all I seem to be able to do when that happens is yell, "fuck" over and over again and flail about until I figure out how to get my shoulder back in the socket.

The flailing about would only be silly looking except I had an open water bottle in the other hand, and splashed water all over myself and the couch. Dammit.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-24-2019), BrotherMan (10-24-2019), ceptimus (10-25-2019), Crumb (10-24-2019), Ensign Steve (10-24-2019), JoeP (10-24-2019), Kyuss Apollo (10-27-2019), lisarea (10-24-2019), slimshady2357 (10-24-2019), Sock Puppet (10-24-2019), SR71 (10-25-2019), vremya (10-24-2019)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM
Solipsist

Rant which I am entirely OK with bastard search engines indexing.

It concerns Hermes, a shit parcel delivery service. (The parcels and their contents aren't shit. Unless I suppose if I ordered some.)

12:28 - doorbell rings.
12:28:01 (approx) - the guy has already left the front door but I managed to catch him. Receive expected delivery from reputable supplier who are not reputable enough to understand that Hermes are shit. At least I got the delivery this time.
13:26 - receive email
Quote:
Your ... parcel is now with your local Hermes courier for delivery
We'll deliver your parcel:
Between 10am and 12pm
They didn't and at the time of sending they knew they had missed this.
13:27 - receive email
Quote:
Your local Hermes courier has had to re-schedule your delivery.
We're still delivering your ... parcel today.
We'll now deliver your parcel:
Between 11am and 1pm
Quote:
Your Lakeland parcel has been delivered at 13:27 by your local courier and was signed for at the delivery address.
The amount of fucking stupidity here is staggering. The only bits they got right were the suggestion of a delay ("we had to reschedule" is dumb though) and the estimate that they would deliver it before 1pm. Which they told me after 1pm.

Did I mention Hermes are shit?

Keywords for this search: shit couriers near me, shit delivery services uk, how likely are you to recommend this shit to friends and family

Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-29-2020), Crumb (01-29-2020), Ensign Steve (01-29-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-29-2020), lisarea (01-29-2020), mickthinks (01-29-2020), Sock Puppet (01-29-2020), SR71 (09-30-2020), Stormlight (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Rant which I am entirely OK with bastard search engines indexing.

It concerns Hermes, a shit parcel delivery service. (The parcels and their contents aren't shit. Unless I suppose if I ordered some.)

12:28 - doorbell rings.
12:28:01 (approx) - the guy has already left the front door but I managed to catch him. Receive expected delivery from reputable supplier who are not reputable enough to understand that Hermes are shit. At least I got the delivery this time.
13:26 - receive email
Quote:
Your ... parcel is now with your local Hermes courier for delivery
We'll deliver your parcel:
Between 10am and 12pm
They didn't and at the time of sending they knew they had missed this.
Quote:
Your local Hermes courier has had to re-schedule your delivery.
We're still delivering your ... parcel today.
We'll now deliver your parcel:
Between 11am and 1pm
Quote:
Your Lakeland parcel has been delivered at 13:27 by your local courier and was signed for at the delivery address.
The amount of fucking stupidity here is staggering. The only bits they got right were the suggestion of a delay ("we had to reschedule" is dumb though) and the estimate that they would deliver it before 1pm. Which they told me after 1pm.

Did I mention Hermes are shit?

Keywords for this search: shit couriers near me, shit delivery services uk, how likely are you to recommend this shit to friends and family
This alleges you may have had a terrible experience with Hermes parcel delivery in the UK.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:04 PM
Solipsist

"a" terrible experience? Oh no. Not "a".

Old 09-30-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize it was that bad there, too.

Slowly but surely over the last maybe 20 years, processed foods have gotten sweeter and sweeter. And it is just about everything. I swear that regular bread now is almost like cake now, and it's like nobody even noticed it happening.

It's mostly HFCS here, not sugar, so I figured it had something to do with corn subsidies.

No matter what it is, it's gross.
Thank you, Ireland! This is what I've been saying all along!

Sandwiches in Subway 'too sugary to meet legal definition of being bread' - Independent.ie
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-30-2020), BrotherMan (09-30-2020), ceptimus (10-08-2020), Crumb (09-30-2020), JoeP (09-30-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-30-2020), mickthinks (10-01-2020), Miisa (09-30-2020), slimshady2357 (09-30-2020), Sock Puppet (09-30-2020), SR71 (09-30-2020), Stormlight (09-30-2020), Ymir's blood (09-30-2020)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium