Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 10-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Re: If god judges his own creation

Well Dingfod, upon closer observation, of myself I am not only an eliest,and a hypocrite............I am also ignorant. Similar to every other human being.
Thank you for pointing that out for me. You have been most helpful.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
no fact/value split

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo View Post
Well Dingfod, upon closer observation, of myself I am not only an eliest,and a hypocrite............I am also ignorant. Similar to every other human being.
These guys would have been your bests buds, what with your atheistic beliefs, had you entered the house without kicking the dog and pissing on the landlady's shoes.
Thanks, from:
Tanda (04-08-2009)
Old 10-07-2008, 02:56 PM

I am made up that way, and I enjoy a good fight, I am used to getting ganged up on, my style isn't conventional, I just like to rattle cages to get to the heat and the meat of who has what.

I am not here to make friends,I am looking for freedom not just to think, but to walk away from it all and free myself of the nonesense I have accumulated over 68 years.
I have an old lady who I have known for 50 years , Ralph and Brandy our 11 and 12 year old puppies, a couple of brothers and 2 people I consider friends, our home is paid for,on a gorgeous piece of land. So I am close to closing the door on all the questions and answers.

Even so again I want to thank you, I had not looked at myself as you pointed out to me,as an elitest and a hypocrite and surely I was upset when you said it, but you hit home, with what I needed to find out about myself.
And exactly why I find myself here.
In accepting your evaluation, I realized I was also very ignorant. On accepting those things about myself I needed to accept them about the human condition as well. A very freeing up thought for me.

Last edited by metoo; 10-07-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I am made up that way, and I enjoy a good fight, . . .
You have not really fought. You curled up and blew away after one question on another thread.

Quote:
I am used to getting ganged up on, . . .
Methinks you should rethink your tactics. Unless you like getting gang raped.

Quote:
. . . my style isn't conventional, . . .
Actually it is. It is quite trite as explained previously.

Trolling is boring, particularly inaccurate trolling.

--J.D.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Thank you for your observations Doctor X, I am sure I will consider what you said. I am not saying you are wrong how you perceive my actions and responses.
You are right about a couple things, my spelling is at a tenth grade level as is my grammer, even so I am able to make a point. Though I did get a GED in the Maryland Pennitentary.
I have read and studied a few things along the way.
As for the other posts ,I just have got back to my computer after working on our property for a couple days. Responsibilities keep me pretty active even though I am retired.
I am not great at editing what I send out.
I will check them out now.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Even so again I want to thank you, I had not looked at myself as you pointed out to me,as an elitest and a hypocrite and surely I was upset when you said it, but you hit home, with what I needed to find out about myself.
And exactly why I find myself here.
In accepting your evaluation, I realized I was also very ignorant. On accepting those things about myself I needed to accept them about the human condition as well. A very freeing up thought for me.
Are you on an irony spree, or is this a true life confession?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Are you on an irony spree, or is this a true life confession?
Like sockpuppets, I never bother to question it. If someone comes back with a "AHA! I was playing silly buggers!" I am more saddened by their need for such weak entertainment.

So, I will take him at his word--it being a written medium.

To which, I will add, if his question on another thread regarding who wrote what biblical texts was a sincere question, I have a sincere--though long--answer. Education, furtherance of knowledge [Expansion of his ego.--Ed.] remains primary.

Noblesse oblige.

--J.D.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Struggling to stay sober....

:hugtroll::bait2:
Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 PM

I believe that when Constantine created the Roman Catholic Church he needed scripture to enhance his agenda, if anything in the bible is actually from a base of truth I doubt it, from beginning to end. You can tell me what all the scholars say and I will still believe Constantine, is the ultimate editor of the BOOK.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM

thanks for sharing Alex, point well taken.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:37 PM

Doctor X,
You have been more than helpful in why I am here and what I expect to find here. By the way what is PEZ?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I believe that when Constantine created the Roman Catholic Church he needed scripture to enhance his agenda, if anything in the bible is actually from a base of truth I doubt it, from beginning to end. You can tell me what all the scholars say and I will still believe Constantine, is the ultimate editor of the BOOK.
I suggest that you might bone up a bit on the writings of the early Christian fathers and reference your claims about the Bible to some scholarship before getting into a controversy about the provenance of biblical texts.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
You're welcome. You came across quite insulting in your response previously. This admission is quite big of you, and unexpected, I must say. I appreciate your honesty.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
I suggest that you might bone up a bit on the writings of the early Christian fathers and reference your claims about the Bible to some scholarship before getting into a controversy about the provenance of biblical texts.
Perhaps metoo needs to study up but are you saying that the manipulation of religion by Roman emporers didn't happen?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Doctor X,
You have been more than helpful in why I am here and what I expect to find here. By the way what is PEZ?
PEZ is candy my good man, candy.

PEZ
Old 10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Doctor X,
Don't let DocX make you feel inadequate. It is not the PEZ that matters, it is all those cool PEZ dispensers. BTW his reference to PEZ does date him and your ignorance of PEZ dates you as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post

Perhaps metoo needs to study up but are you saying that the manipulation of religion by Roman emporers didn't happen?
No, I'm not implying that. In fact I can recommend an ambitious study of how, after the conversion of Constantine, the Roman emperors began to define and enforce Christian doctrine though law. (see The Closing of the Western Mind by Charles Freeman)
Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post

No, I'm not implying that. In fact I can recommend an ambitious study of how, after the conversion of Constantine, the Roman emperors began to define and enforce Christian doctrine though law. (see The Closing of the Western Mind by Charles Freeman)
In the case of Constantine it is not clear that he ever was converted since a death bed conversion is mostly a technicality as far as his position as an emperor goes. The next ruler was his son who was fiercely anti-Christian and the next ruler was also his son who was clearly in the pocket of the Christian church since so many laws were made in his time that not only benefited the church but banned competing religions outright and allowed the church to confiscate their assets.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist
Don't let DocX make you feel inadequate. It is not the PEZ that matters, it is all those cool PEZ dispensers. BTW his reference to PEZ does date him and your ignorance of PEZ dates you as well.
How long would a person have to be in the penitentiary not to know what PEZ is? PEZ candy was invented in 1927, manufactured in Austria only until 1973 when they opened a PEZ factory in the U.S. The first PEZ dispenser came out in 1947. So, to have never heard of PEZ, one needs to have been either living in a third-world backwater or in a cave or prison for anywhere from 35 to 81 years.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 PM

Of course I know what pez is, I just didn't relate to it as something of any worth. LOL on me.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Flipper 11/11

I think Doctor X is trying to point it out as some sort of religious fixation, as if his (religion) is better than yours.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Alex, that is all well and good ,only it is very suspect that the bible books compilation happened at the same time constantine embraced christianity as a state relegion. I personally believe all governments use and even may create relegions as a way to control and manipulate their peoples with ideas that create inner turmoil, which ultimatly becomes a fear mechanism.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Struggling to stay sober....

What religion is Doctor X? hmmm?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 PM

I don't feel inadequate, confrontation is the only way to get to the bottom line , it makes me stop to think and question , what I have said and what the person who confronts me is saying. How else would we know if we were just bull shitting our own self with what we think?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin View Post
What religion is Doctor X? hmmm?
Whatever he is fixated on and makes him feel superior, of course. Doesn't it ever strike you that he comes across as being superior? ... He's got the PEZ!

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy