Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 AM
........fair minded and non-baised......

Default Phase converters and free electricity!

Hello my fellow members of the freethought-forum,

As a result of a guest I heard interviewed on an AM radio show, I took a look at a website that seems to be showing a way to exploit the laws of physics pertaining to DC current. If I am to believe what I am seeing, it would appear that free energy is being generated by tapping into the force that is generated by a permanent magnet.

Although I fancy myself a bit of a scientist, my main fields of interest pertain to subject matter focusing around plants and mushrooms. (ethnobotany and mycology) Concerning the laws that govern the behavior of electrical current, I am sorry to say that I am painfully uninformed. :(

Typically, if my scientific curiosity were to get the best of me, I'd do some research....however, in order to even begin to tackle this sort of project, I would have to first understand math and electrical current. Although I don't completely count myself out from being able to achieve this sort of goal, I don't view it as an efficient use of the time I have available to me.....

Which brings me to why I am here, creating a new thread....just as I thought I might let this one slip away and close out the website, and thus forgetting about the content, I remembered that there are lots of smart people here at the freethought-forum who might know all sorts of things about this sort of topic, so, here I am, sharing with you, what I have found. :)

3 phase VS single phase

This link will take you to a page that is demonstrating the differences in running a motor with single phase vs three phase current.

The following link will take you to the main page where there are more short videos showing the device operating. Below the videos, there is an impassioned plea for help in regard to spreading this knowledge so that mankind may benefit from this knowledge.

Conserve energy, clean energy from Magnet, reverse polarity

Wishing you "All the Best",

Martin :)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
ellipsis . . .

Default Re: Phase converters and free electricity!

It's called a perpetual motion machine. They come in many forms, there are numerous reasons given by their "inventors" why they don't prove they work and commercialize them, and that they work is about as likely as magical unicorns run on rainbows.

They've been used to con people out of their money for decades, if not longer, and the idea of perpetual motion machines is at least a few centuries old.
Nothing new here.

The Conservation of Energy is a fundamental law of physics supported by centuries of experimental confirmation. That it is in error is . . . I don't know a word for it. Incredibly unlikely doesn't even come close to expressing it. A snowman just popping into existence on Venus is more likely.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 AM
puzzler

The mistake he made comparing the three phase and single phase powers is laughably trivial: he measured the power in one of the three phases, and then forgot to multiply by three. If he'd thought about it a bit more, he'd have realised that the clue is in the name: when you have three of something, you expect to have three times as much stuff as you would if you only had one of those things!

And now, for the benefit of Martin and other readers who may not have an intuitive feeling for how electricity works, I'll tell you the secret analogy that every person who does, sort of, understand electricity uses. Analogies tend to be glossed over in schools because 'analogies are dangerous.' That's true, but ignorance is even more dangerous and good analogies are an excellent defence against ignorance.

Electrical current is like the water current flowing in a river - the greater the flow, then the greater the current. We measure the current in Amperes (Amps) rather than gallons per minute.

Voltage is like the pressure of the water: we talk about the 'electrical potential' or 'potential difference' - this is like a height difference in a river - so when you hear someone talk about a voltage of 110 volts, you can imagine a river that drops 110 feet over the course of, say, one mile.

Just as a water wheel engineer would consider both the pressure and flow of the water when working out how much power he could extract from his water wheel, an electrical engineer considers both the voltage and current when calculating the power in a circuit. The water wheel engineer might say that he has a 'head' (height difference) of 20 feet to work with, and a flow of a thousand gallons per minute. He multiplies the two together and has an available power of twenty thousand gallon-feet-per-minute. To avoid having to keep saying 'gallon-feet-per-minute', he's probably come up with a name like 'river power', and he'd know that he could get the same 20,000 river power from a stream with half the flow but twice the drop, and so on.

The electrical engineer does the same thing and multiplies the volts by the amps and calls the resulting power units, 'watts'. He knows that he can get the same power (forty watts) from either a ten-volt battery supplying four amps, or a four-hundred volt supply delivering a tenth of an amp.

Now I'll turn the analogy upside down and imagine a canal barge being pulled through the still water of a canal by a person walking along the tow path pulling on the tow rope. The voltage is now the tension in the rope - say twenty pounds, and the current is the speed the boat is travelling at - say two miles per hour. If the boat is more heavily loaded then it might take three people pulling equally hard on three ropes to move it at the same speed, and this would be like a three phase supply. If you were measuring the power used to move the boat, you'd measure the tension in one of the ropes and the speed of the boat, multiply the two together to get the power delivered by one rope. Then, at the last minute, you'd remember that there were three ropes so you'd multiply your answer by three!

The boat analogy even allows us to take into account a thing called 'phase angle'. The power actually supplied to the boat depends on the angle of the rope to the boat's direction of travel. The sideways pull on the boat is no use at moving the boat forward - if the rope was at right angles to the boat's direction of travel, then it wouldn't help to pull the boat forwards at all, no matter how much tension was applied. To get the power supplied to the boat you actually multiply the tension in the rope by the speed of the boat and then multiply again by the cosine of the angle the rope makes to to the boat's direction of travel. If the rope pulls straight ahead then the angle is zero, and cos(zero) equals one. When the rope pulls sideways at ninety degrees, cos(ninety) is zero, and so on.

With A.C. electrical power it's also possible for the current to be out of phase with the voltage - this is just like the rope pulling at an angle. Interestingly, your home electricity meter charges you for the real power supplied (volts times amps times cosine of phase angle) whereas three phase power is normally metered and charged for without taking the phase angle into account. This means that factories that use a lot of three phase power have a vested interest in keeping the phase angle at zero (which is called 'having a unity power factor') and they usually invest in expensive power factor correcting equipment to make sure that the phase angle is kept at or near zero.
BrotherMan (06-23-2012), Clutch Munny (12-03-2012), Dragar (07-23-2012), Kael (06-24-2012), livius drusus (06-23-2012), Martin (07-22-2012), SR71 (06-23-2012), Stormlight (07-24-2012), viscousmemories (12-02-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Excellent explanation Cep! Indeed, he would have to, at minimum, show voltage AND current at both the input source and the output load so that power can be calculated, which is just voltage times current. I fear if he did so, we would see that power in equals power out minus losses from friction etc. He would also need to use instruments that show the real and imaginary parts at the input and output.

A great many (all?) of these types of experimenters fail to take into account effects of inductance and capacitance as Cep has said. These are calculated with the square root of negative one, called i. You probably remember it from trig or precalc. A + iB, etc. AC power must always be calculated in terms of Real Part Resistance and "Imaginary" Part Inductance and Capacitance. He failed to do this, as do all of these experimenters.

In one place I lived, when it was very hot outside, the power was so influenced by all the induction from air conditioning motors that a soldering iron would not even get hot enough to melt solder. Voltage and current were too out of phase to do much "real" (resistive) work. If you simply measured voltage alone at the outlet, it would show there was much more voltage than normal! It's all about the triangle and circles. lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
It's called a perpetual motion machine. ...
Yes, indeed. And some people invest in these devices.

Ludwik Kowalski

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA). Writing it was a moral obligation.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM
........fair minded and non-baised......

Hello fellow electricity enthusiasts,

I would like to thank everyone for their input and opinions in this thread, especially Ceptimus for this well thought and explained dissertation on the nature of electrical current.

I would also like to thank kowalskil, for all of the work and dedication that he has invested in publishing the story of his life experience, as it sheds a much valued light on the circumstances that were present for those who lived under Stalinist rule. Speaking to this issue, I would be very interested to hear his opinions on the current state of affairs for those living in that part of the world today. :)

Back to the issue of electricity though, if I am to understand correctly, the "water" pushes the "water wheel" in the tool thereby creating the force needed to turn the "millstone". Three phase power is only speaking to the girth of the water stream, rather than some mysterious principle that is at work within the currents of the electrical stream? For billing purposes, the zero angle, must have something to do with the impedance of the current that results from the "eddies" that are created as a result of any inefficient electrical current flows. By running efficiently and not putting a lot of drag on the system, factories can be billed at much lower rates per kilowatt hour.

Are houses run on single phase because they consume so little and can hook up to the larger feeder streams, thereby allowing the system to run more naturally, like the way creeks feed into rivers which lead to the ocean?

Hmmm.....I've never thought of electricity in that way before. :)

All the Best,

Martin :)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences