Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Elephant Talk

Default Re: Ghost in the Shell Mafia

The last 3-4 days of the game were surreal to me. I started every day expecting to be the lynch. I watched the figurative noose hover over me for a bit, but never for long. and then town would lynch town, and in some cases town with quite a townish track record and proof of night actions. I'd crawl back to the writeboard and strategize with myself and my imaginary teammates, but didn't really expect to get through the next day. I think I managed to not look concerned about possibly being the lynch all the way up until the day Liv was the lynch. I thought I'd shown my need to survive that day and expected the whole house of cards to fall down on the final day.

once the final day started, I kept a rigid check on myself, posted about 1/8 of what I typed, made myself wait a few hours or a day when the thread would grow quiet, and hoped that the inactivity was driving town as crazy as it was me.

I don't know if not speeding up the pace helped my cause or not. It seemed like the right thing to do.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenscape View Post
The last 3-4 days of the game were surreal to me. I started every day expecting to be the lynch. I watched the figurative noose hover over me for a bit, but never for long. and then town would lynch town, and in some cases town with quite a townish track record and proof of night actions. I'd crawl back to the writeboard and strategize with myself and my imaginary teammates, but didn't really expect to get through the next day. I think I managed to not look concerned about possibly being the lynch all the way up until the day Liv was the lynch. I thought I'd shown my need to survive that day and expected the whole house of cards to fall down on the final day.

once the final day started, I kept a rigid check on myself, posted about 1/8 of what I typed, made myself wait a few hours or a day when the thread would grow quiet, and hoped that the inactivity was driving town as crazy as it was me.

I don't know if not speeding up the pace helped my cause or not. It seemed like the right thing to do.
It was you who suggested wei not hammering during those two days meant he was most likely town .... Oh, I think your pace was just right :D

By endgame, concern about survival is pretty natural for town and scum ... I think appearing anxious at that point looks less suspicious than it may do earlier in the game. If anything, I though Liv's cool logic at that crucial point of the game could have looked more suspicious to some?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Elephant Talk

her logic looked devastating to me.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I am the mafia Meursault. :beatnik:
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (07-31-2011), ravenscape (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
But then you did end up hammering Liv, and you (and your team) went on to win the game.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

I had no doubt Raven was the last Scum. :chin:
Crumb (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Elephant Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elouise View Post
Quote:
But then you did end up hammering Liv, and you (and your team) went on to win the game.
It was quite difficult to let that logic sit there in the thread for a couple days before hammering, because it was an airtight argument for lynching me. In fact it was the full version of the argument I had advanced for my lynch the prior gameday. I expected someone to be persuaded. but I couldn't look too quick to drop the hammer.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 PM

Liv had you dead to rights, yet I always had faith that you would make it work.

:yup:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Elephant Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Liv had you dead to rights, yet I always had faith that you would make it work.

:yup:
I don't think she necessarily thought I was the last scum. In fact, I had the impression that she didn't think so. she did think (rightly) that I was an uncertainty town needed to eliminate before endgame.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 AM

Ya, I didn't really think for reals that you were scum until you hammered me. I knew it was either you or diva because wei and tea were as close to exonerated as we had, but I was still leaning towards diva. It just made sense to kill the known killer first. When you cast the last vote without waiting for the end of the weekend, that's when I saw the light.

I thought you or diva would at least wait until wei and tea responded to my reasoning, or failing that, until they returned to regular posting on Monday. I was pretty shocked that none of the survivors seemed to think your mid-weekend hammer in a becalmed thread was worth a vote even after I flipped town.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Elephant Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Ya, I didn't really think for reals that you were scum until you hammered me. I knew it was either you or diva because wei and tea were as close to exonerated as we had, but I was still leaning towards diva. It just made sense to kill the known killer first. When you cast the last vote without waiting for the end of the weekend, that's when I saw the light.

I thought you or diva would at least wait until wei and tea responded to my reasoning, or failing that, until they returned to regular posting on Monday. I was pretty shocked that none of the survivors seemed to think your mid-weekend hammer in a becalmed thread was worth a vote even after I flipped town.
hmm. I wasn't thinking about it from a time of week perspective. I checked to see if wei had posted at all since his last post in the game thread, and he had been around. I didn't think there was going to be a reply.

I'll keep that in mind for untimed games, because it did not occur to me that I was doing something scummy. I tend to think of how many hours have passed, not what day of the week it is. I could have easily done something similar in a town role. In fact, for all I know, I have. I might should have a look at earlier FF games I've played.

Last edited by ravenscape; 07-30-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: untimed, not timed
Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 AM

Weekend time on :ff: is not comparable to the same number of hours on a weekday. Wei is rarely here on weekends, same with tea and a lot of other people. So ya, while you thought you were being a model of restraint counting the hours between posts, I found your "liv has to be scum" post to be antsy as all git out.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Elephant Talk

heh. good to know.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Elephant Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Weekend time on :ff: is not comparable to the same number of hours on a weekday. Wei is rarely here on weekends, same with tea and a lot of other people. So ya, while you thought you were being a model of restraint counting the hours between posts, I found your "liv has to be scum" post to be antsy as all git out.
that post bugged me for several reasons. I had written out a longer explanation of why I was going to go ahead and hammer. I asked a TR mafia pal to read it and his reaction was that it was too long and worked-over. I knew that his calibration was somewhat off in terms of what's long and worked-over in the FF environment. But, I took his advice anyway, figuring I could make that argument the next day if my vote was questioned.

After I posted it, I did not like the looks of it. And it sat out there for a long while until day 7 started. I heartily hated that post by the time the game started back up.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I checked to see if wei had posted at all since his last post in the game thread, and he had been around.
creeper
Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
why I was going to go ahead and hammer

can you guys see this? ^^^
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Elephant Talk

would like to unsee that, actually.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:12 AM

different strokes for different folks

Your game play is excellent.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 AM
Elephant Talk

hammering Liv may have been the most risky thing I did the whole game. but, I had no choice. I couldn't come out with an early vote on someone else on the day that I'd been making it clear was town's last chance to eliminate a big question mark before endgame. I'd hoped diva would make my hammer vote unnecessary, but she didn't bite.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 AM

I was lynched on Day 1, I watched and Angst the entire months long game.

Thank you all for the game, it was well done in most every way.

:worship::worship::worship:

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum