Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Karma is Rael

Default Historic Civil Rights Group Recognizes Nontheists' Struggle

Hi, :ff:! Here's one of those announcements I'm always going on about. This is one to be proud of.

Great news from the Secular Coalition for America! Reposted with permission.

Quote:

For Immediate Release: December 19, 2007
Historic Civil Rights Group Recognizes Nontheists' Struggle

Secular Coalition for America Joins Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, Becomes First Member Advocating for Nontheist Americans

Washington, DC - The Secular Coalition for America has become the newest member of the oldest and most respected civil rights organization in the United States. As one of eight new members joining the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights (LCCR) this year, the Secular Coalition for America will work with the LCCR in its mission to unite all Americans as one nation true to its promise of equal justice, equal opportunity and mutual respect.

Recognition that the nontheistic minority must be included in the struggle for civil rights marks a milestone. There are several religious groups within LCCR's coalition, but the Secular Coalition for America is the first nontheist (atheists, humanists, and other Americans without a god belief) group to be included. Both organizations agree that religious freedom as protected by the Bill of Rights must also include the freedom to practice no religion.

Secular Coalition Director, Lori Lipman Brown, said, "This decision says as much about the LCCR and its willingness to acknowledge and include nontheists as it does about the Secular Coalition and its recognition of our theistic allies who support our rights."

A total of eight groups were added to the LCCR's coalition at their most recent board meeting: Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN); Center for Responsible Lending; Citizen's Commission on Civil Rights; DC Vote; Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA), Matthew Shepard Foundation; Paralyzed Veterans of America; and the Secular Coalition for America.

The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights is the nation's premier civil rights coalition, and has coordinated national legislative campaigns on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. LCCR consists of more than 192 national organizations, representing persons of color, women, children, labor unions, individuals with disabilities, older Americans, major religious groups, gays and lesbians and civil liberties and human rights groups (www.civilrights.org).

The Secular Coalition for America was established in 2002 as a 501(c)4 lobbying organization to increase the visibility and respectability of nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all (www.secular.org).
###
This is a big deal for atheists in America. We are being recognized as a minority whose civil rights need protection.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-22-2007), Goliath (12-21-2007)
Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Historic Civil Rights Group Recognizes Nontheists' Struggle

About time. I've been nervous every since George H.W. Bush and his infamous comment on atheists not qualifying for citizenship.
256 colors (12-20-2007)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 AM
California Sober

I have yet to see that story from an unbiased source. Please prove me overly skeptical.
256 colors (12-20-2007)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Karma is Rael

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
About time. I've been nervous every since George H.W. Bush and his infamous comment on atheists not qualifying for citizenship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I have yet to see that story from an unbiased source. Please prove me overly skeptical.
The only people who know for sure are the senior Bush and Rob Sherman. I myself do not like to repeat unverified quotes, and I have in the past encouraged people not to repeat the alleged Bush statement, because we can never know if it is true or not. The elder Bush has said other anti-atheist comments in the media and on TV that have been verified.

Back to our civil rights... I am really encouraged by the Secular Coalition's work, and glad to be involved with the group's Board. Of all the worthwhile organizations out there, the Secular Coalition for America is probably the most deserving of your donations. We are the only full-time lobbying organization representing nontheists. Visit our site for more: http://www.secular.org/ You can also sign up for action alerts.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-20-2007)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 PM

I find it disturbing that a reporter felt it necessary to ask the new 3rd party (Liberal-Democrat) British leader about his religion. To which he replied that he's an atheist and as good as "None of your business anyway". Only a few years ago, Tony Blair gave the answer "We don't do 'God' " (Even if he is probably about to join the Catholic church now he's not government leader). Except in Ireland and for explicitly named parties like Christian Democrats, mixing religion and politics has always been one great European no-no, especially in Britain. Prince Charles can say that he translates the royal title of Defensor Fidei as Defendor of Faith not of 'the Faith' and his Scottish ancestors would have applauded.

By all means stick to whatever ethics your religion gives you but the fairytales are nothing to do with that and neither is the implication that you can't have ethics without fairytales.
It's one transatlantic import Europe doesn't need and disturbing to find it. If a politician were suspected of something weird like Scientology or Mormonism then there might be reason to investigate. If they only go to church, dance in a coven under the full moon or don't give a dog's damn, that is their business.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude View Post
It's one transatlantic import Europe doesn't need and disturbing to find it.
Indeed it is. There is a very good reason for it too: there is hardly a European country that hasn't had a religiously inspired civil war of some kind (and some have been the battlefield for religiously inspired wider wars).

I think it is a very good European habit to consider talking about religion in public rude.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't live in Britain but I've supported the Lib-Dems since they were just Liberals. Mrs Thatcher out the Con in Conservative and Tony Blurr took the Labour out of Labour. Usually, whatever the Libs come up with is like the description of science - everybody laughs, then they discuss, then they claim it was their idea all the time. I'm just hoping that if the 19th century was the era of Conservative-Liberal (Whig) and the 20th Conservative-Labour, this one will settle to Labour-Liberal. But I reckon there's people in the old Conservative party of Ted Heath who'd feel right at home in New Labour.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:41 AM
California Sober

Seriously, though. "Nontheists' struggle"? Seriously? It makes us come off like some persecution-complex Christians and the War on Christmas. :melo:
Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 AM
you're next

;)
Ensign Steve (12-21-2007)
Old 12-21-2007, 03:45 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Seriously, though. "Nontheists' struggle"? Seriously? It makes us come off like some persecution-complex Christians and the War on Christmas. :melo:
So we shouldn't complain when they come to drag you off to "re-education camp"?
Goliath (12-22-2007)
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 AM
California Sober

The day that actually happens, I will take the "struggle" seriously. You have my word.

Just like I will take the Christians seriously the day we outlaw prayer.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Just like those that want laws against people that offend them, if I feel oppressed, am I not oppressed?

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law