Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Let me guess. Cells have to be big enough and DNA has to be present in order for them to procreate efferently.

:LOL:
Thanks, from:
Dragar (10-24-2011), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2011), The Lone Ranger (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I want to add one last thing. Seeing that no one is interested at all in anything other than their findings, which are not based on what is observed,
It's astounding you can even make this claim.

We are the ones who have discussed observations. We are the ones who have pointed out how the real world works, experiments that have been done, a multitude of them in fact. We are the ones who have discussed modern technology. You have made zero discussion of any observation. In fact, you've recoiled from doing so, because they have all contradicted your position!

So how can you possibly claim we are not interested in what has been observed?
Because everyone is conveniently overlooking the FACT that we cannot get an image on film if an object is out of the camera's range but in a straight line with it. Doesn't that sound a red flag? The fact that light is moving so fast doesn't have anything to do with this observation or we wouldn't get a picture on film when the object is even closer to the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
By the way, what's an image? You said before it's 'that thing we see', but it still exists if we don't look at it. So what is it an image, peacegirl?
Images may be two-dimensional, such as a photograph, screen display, and as well as a three-dimensional, such as a statue or hologram. They may be captured by optical devices—such as cameras, mirrors, lenses, telescopes, microscopes, etc. and natural objects and phenomena, such as the human eye or water surfaces.

The word image is also used in the broader sense of any two-dimensional figure such as a map, a graph, a pie chart, or an abstract painting. In this wider sense, images can also be rendered manually, such as by drawing, painting, carving, rendered automatically by printing or computer graphics technology, or developed by a combination of methods, especially in a pseudo-photograph.

A volatile image is one that exists only for a short period of time. This may be a reflection of an object by a mirror, a projection of a camera obscura, or a scene displayed on a cathode ray tube. A fixed image, also called a hard copy, is one that has been recorded on a material object, such as paper or textile by photography or digital processes.

Image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Let me guess. Cells have to be big enough and DNA has to be present in order for them to procreate efferently.

Not necessarily, just large enough and accessible enough to demonstrate how it works to laypeople, not just to the ones that belong to the exclusive club with a vested interest.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Because everyone is conveniently overlooking the FACT that we cannot get an image on film if an object is out of the camera's range but in a straight line with it. Doesn't that sound a red flag? The speed of light doesn't have anything to do with it.
No-one is overlooking that. It is exactly what the Hubble pictures provide.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
[
The only observation that questions afferent vision is that an object that is just out of view of the lens but in direct line with it, with no obstructions, should produce a picture on the film if the wavelength is traveling toward the camera because then we know we would be getting a delayed picture. This is in direct contradiction to the moons of Jupiter experiment. .

This is a contradiction and does not proove anything. If it is out of view it cannot be in a direct line with no obstructions. This is also a good example of Lessans reasoning and writing. He was completely confused about everything he was trying to say.

If the camera produces a delayed image, it supports the 'Moons of Jupiter' observation.
You are speaking in complete gibberish mode thedoc. When an object is out of view of the lens it can still be in a direct line with it, without any obstructions that would cause the light to deflect. You just don't want to admit it because then you'd have to rethink your entire position.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Because everyone is conveniently overlooking the FACT that we cannot get an image on film if an object is out of the camera's range but in a straight line with it. Doesn't that sound a red flag? The speed of light doesn't have anything to do with it.
It's again completely circular. It's out of range if we can't get a picture with the object in the camera's field of view. The FACT that we can't get a picture when we can't get a picture tells us.. what, exactly?

:chin:
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 PM

Peacegirl, are you retracting your agreement that it is the wavelength of light at the film which determines the color of the resulting photographic image, and that this light has arrived there from somewhere else?

If you are retracting this, then what determines the color of the image and where did that thing come from?

If you are not, then did the light have the same or different wavelength properties just before it got to the camera?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Peacegirl, given your current answers I have three stories of light for you to consider.

Story 1: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains red light which travels towards the ball. The ball is red, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our red light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this red light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the red light arrives and this red light hits the film resulting in a red photograph of the red ball.

Do you have any problems with this story?

Story 2: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains blue light which travels towards the ball. The ball is blue, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our blue light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this blue light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the blue light arrives and this blue light hits the film resulting in a blue photograph of the blue ball.

Story 3: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains red light which travels towards the ball. The ball is red, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our red light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. However, the ball changes color from red to blue immediately after reflecting this red light towards the camera (and therefore before our red light gets to the camera). So the ball was red when the red light hit it and bounced off towards the camera, but is blue (i.e. has begun absorbing red light and reflecting only blue light) during the time this previously reflected red light is in transit between the ball and the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this red light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the red light arrives and this red light hits the film resulting in a red photograph of the blue ball.

Where does this story go wrong, according to your version of what is happening?
I can see where the problem is. The image at the camera could not be blue if the light was first red because, according to science, photons are packets of light energy that aren't connected to each other and are coming out of the factory as separate entities. Therefore, they strike the film in the order in which they arrived.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, given your current answers I have three stories of light for you to consider.

Story 1: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains red light which travels towards the ball. The ball is red, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our red light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this red light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the red light arrives and this red light hits the film resulting in a red photograph of the red ball.

Story 2: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains blue light which travels towards the ball. The ball is blue, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our blue light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this blue light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the blue light arrives and this blue light hits the film resulting in a blue photograph of the blue ball.

Story 3: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains red light which travels towards the ball. The ball is red, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our red light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. However, the ball changes color from red to blue immediately after reflecting this red light towards the camera (and therefore before our red light gets to the camera). So the ball was red when the red light hit it and bounced off towards the camera, but is blue (i.e. has begun absorbing red light and reflecting only blue light) during the time this previously reflected red light is in transit between the ball and the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this red light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the red light arrives and this red light hits the film resulting in a red photograph of the blue ball.

I can see where the problem is. The image at the camera could not be blue if the light was first red because, according to science, photons are packets of light energy that aren't connected to each other and are coming out of the factory as separate entities. Therefore, they strike the film in the order in which they arrived.
So what's your solution?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's again completely circular. It's out of range if we can't get a picture with the object in the camera's field of view. The FACT that we can't get a picture when we can't get a picture tells us.. what, exactly?

:chin:
It's not circular in any way. BTW, I was limiting the conversation to objects, not distant images because of the confusion it has caused. The fact that we can't get a picture from light itself tells us something. If the light's wavelength gives us the information about the object because the lens is a collector of light, then we should be able to get an image on film of that object whether or not the object is in the camera's field of view, as long as the photons are in a straight line with the lens with no obstructions.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what's your solution?
I don't have one. All I know is that there is a contradiction but this in no way means Lessans' observations were at fault. I'm going to leave it at that because we're not going to make any progress coming from two completely different positions. Only time will tell who was right. We won't be able to figure it out in here, that's for sure.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not circular in any way. BTW, I was limiting the conversation to objects, not distant images because of the confusion it has caused.
Galaxies are objects.

Quote:
The fact that we can't get a picture from light itself tells us something.
That's not a fact. Pinhole cameras (and in fact all cameras) do this all the time.

Quote:
If the light's wavelength gives us the information about the object because the lens is a collector of light, then we should be able to get an image on film of that object whether or not the object is in the camera's field of view, as long as the photons are in a straight line with the lens with no obstructions.
And we do, as the Hubble pictures show.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what's your solution?
I don't have one. All I know is that there is a contradiction but this in no way means Lessans' observations were at fault. I'm going to leave it at that because we're not going to make any progress coming from two completely different positions. Only time will tell who was right. We won't be able to figure it out in here, that's for sure.
Time has already told. You and Lessans are wrong. You claim to see the problem and have absolutely no solution. That means your claims have been refuted. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

You can't explain, even in your own terms and by reference to your own beliefs about how light works, how real-time photography is even possible. And yet you require real-time photography to maintain the possibility of efferent vision.

Can you at least agree that efferent vision/real-time photography are impossible given the assumptions about light and physics you had agreed to in the answers you gave to my questions? And that efferent vision will therefore require rejecting at least some of these basic properties of light and physics?

You've just agreed that you are holding contradictory beliefs in your attempt to maintain belief in efferent vision. Why aren't you interested in resolving those contradictions? Why is it more important to you to continue believing in efferent vision than it is to be logically consistent and avoid false beliefs (contradictory beliefs imply that at least one must be false)?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-25-2011), Vivisectus (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Because everyone is conveniently overlooking the FACT that we cannot get an image on film if an object is out of the camera's range but in a straight line with it.
Wuh? If an object is out of range (assuming some sensible definition of that), the standard theory of light predicts we won't be able to get an image on the film. That's not a problem, it's a confirmation of the usual theory. The fact a range exists at all is only explainable by the theory of light. We can predict (using our knowledge of light) how far away we can see for a given camera setup. It all works. Lessans ideas, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
By the way, what's an image? You said before it's 'that thing we see', but it still exists if we don't look at it. So what is it an image, peacegirl?
[quote from wikipedia]
Those are all things images can do or the forms they come in. But what is an image, peacegirl? Like the one on the back of a pinhole camera? :popcorn:
LadyShea (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:

Exactly! In addition, there's indirect evidence for efferent procreation in the form of efferent ejaculation. We can in turn soundly infer the truth of efferent ejaculation from the undeniable existence and popularity of the bukkake industry.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-25-2011), Vivisectus (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:

Exactly! In addition, there's indirect evidence for efferent procreation in the form of efferent ejaculation. We can in turn soundly infer the truth of efferent ejaculation from the undeniable existence and popularity of the bukkake industry.
Are you putting us on, or is that really science lingo?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

That you have to ask the question (and that you frame it that way) speaks volumes.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
That you have to ask the question (and that you frame it that way) speaks volumes.
Yeah, but you don't speak answers, maybes or could be.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Riiight.

Meanwhile, here's an actual photograph of a DNA molecule. (85,000X magnification, scanning electron microscope)

LOL, who you trying to kid? That's just something you made out of
Stephen Maturin (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
I want to add one last thing. Seeing that no one is interested at all in anything other than their findings, which are not based on what is observed, it makes me think this is pseudo-science, the very science you all despise. Isn't that ironic that you are now in the position of the religious fundamentalists that you can't stand. :laugh:
peacegirl, you and Lessans appear to be the only people in the world that have observed what you claim is the basis of your findings. No one else has been able to reproduce anything that you or Lessans claim. Yet the very instrument you are using to read what I have typed here confirms all that everyone else has been saying and shows your "observations" to clearly be the result of mental illness. You are not capable of comprehending the degree to which the very scientific principles you doubt are the bedrock or your everyday life.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
I want to add one last thing. Seeing that no one is interested at all in anything other than their findings, which are not based on what is observed, it makes me think this is pseudo-science, the very science you all despise. Isn't that ironic that you are now in the position of the religious fundamentalists that you can't stand. :laugh:
peacegirl, you and Lessans appear to be the only people in the world that have observed what you claim is the basis of your findings. No one else has been able to reproduce anything that you or Lessans claim. Yet the very instrument you are using to read what I have typed here confirms all that everyone else has been saying and shows your "observations" to clearly be the result of mental illness. You are not capable of comprehending the degree to which the very scientific principles you doubt are the bedrock or your everyday life.

I would suggest that it was only Lessans who is supposed to have made these 'observations', Peacegirl is only taking the claims on faith based on her indoctrination by her father and a passing familarity with the book. She has never claimed to have made any observations herself, but everything must be taken on faith that Lessans was correct in his conclusions from these undisclosed observations. If any of these were disclosed and detailed it might help to explain how Lessans misconstrued that data into his conclusions that were so totally off the mark.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm Deplorable.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (10-25-2011), Crumb (10-25-2011), The Lone Ranger (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
BTW, I was limiting the conversation to objects, not distant images because of the confusion it has caused. The fact that we can't get a picture from light itself tells us something.
Is the Pinwheel Galaxy and object, an image, a remnant, or a relic? Are the thousands of galaxies in the Hubble photos objects, images, remnants or relics? Is a rainbow an object or an image? Is the Aurora and object or an image? Is a mirror reflection an object or an image?

Do you know what "field of view" actually means in optics and why something that is too far away can't be photographed unless you correct for distance with longer exposure time, telephoto lenses, etc.? We've explained all this. We've given you multiple photos of "light itself".

You're causing confusion by refusing to address or accept these examples.

Last edited by LadyShea; 10-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (10-25-2011), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
All I know is that there is a contradiction but this in no way means Lessans' observations were at fault.
There's no contradiction except in your own mind. What contradiction have you personally observed?

Quote:
We won't be able to figure it out in here, that's for sure.
Why not? The only reason we are unable to figure it out is your obstinate refusal to believe Lessans was fallible.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshay75 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, but you don't speak answers, maybes or could be.
What are you on about?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy