Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Sarcasm Unsurprisingly, Crazy people have issues.

OK, so this is sort of about circumcision, but really about narcissism.

I work at a medical office where there are midwives, who do pediatric and family practice. One of the doctors, who is just about to retire, does circumcisions. Not very often, doesn't promote them, but does them if asked.

There is a group of anti-circumcision activists in town who are having a "vigil" to protest. At our office, which is so remote that the homeless camp there at times, on Friday afternoon, when our office is closed.

So of course like any modern activist, they are using the facebook to organize it. Which is making for hilarious reading. The leader is a true paragon of virtue who was traumatized, yes traumatized with PSTD! Because she was in the waiting room as the same time as a father who was taking his son in for circumcision. Which she gleaned by asking the father.
But let's let her do the typing.

Quote:
"Here is what I witnessed, at [clinic] and why I may not be at the vigil, due to PTSD about that day still, five years later.
Fast forward to my son's 12month well-baby check. There was a dad in the waiting room holding a very new baby. So I asked him the typical questions. Was he born here? (meaning the clinic ) 'how old is he?' etc... ending with "oh is he here... for his check up? The answer floored me. "No, circumcision." I turned away disgusted and scooped up my son, who had started to fuss a bit, holding him close and saying "it's alright sweetie, no one is going to cut off the top of your penis." My heart was pounding and my mind was reeling. I had no idea that they mutilated babies. It seemed so counter-intuitive to the whole "natural" part of their practice. The bad Dr. came out to get the family (mom and some other woman was there too by that time.) I was pacing furiously, outside and back deciding whether I should grab my baby and run. Or, better yet, grab their baby and run! And within five minutes of them going back, I heard the unearthly screams of a newborn in agony coming all the way out into the waiting room. FIVE MINUTES!

That man is a monster. I shake as I write this and my heart is racing once again. Wondering what I could have done.

And I certainly hope I can be there on Friday, this man needs to be STOPPED!"
Way to make circumcision all about you lady.

Then others post to tell her how brave she is for sharing.
I redacted out the part where she complains about her baby check up "only being 30 minutes" which I found humorous, and you might also if you've brought a child in for a well baby check up (most of my doctors maybe took 10 minutes, and my kid has issues). Also the medical mis-information wherein she complained about a procedure she has never seen, being performed to her standards, which are based on her lack of medical knowledge (boiled down to "they couldn't have done a good job, it was too quick!).

It's even funnier in that other people in this group don't understand why they're protesting this particular doctor (who again nearly retired, out in the middle of nowhere) and when they ask why him? They get such well thought out answers such as "we have to start somewhere" and "it's about the babies!"
Another poster asked if they talked to the doctor about it, and they vilified her too.
Quote:
"The doctor is oblivious to bone-chilling screams. this is why there is doubt that he will listen to reason and words."
No need to talk! Evil see!

I'm kind of looking forward to going to work tomorrow.
Or I'll skip work and go protest that ATM that didn't give me the good twenty dollar bills! That one time.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-27-2011), ChuckF (05-27-2011), chunksmediocrites (05-27-2011), Clutch Munny (05-27-2011), Crumb (05-27-2011), Doctor X (05-27-2011), Janet (05-28-2011), Kael (05-27-2011), LadyShea (05-27-2011), lisarea (05-27-2011), livius drusus (05-27-2011), Naru (05-27-2011), SharonDee (05-27-2011), Stephen Maturin (05-28-2011), Watser? (05-27-2011), wei yau (05-27-2011), wildernesse (05-27-2011), Ymir's blood (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
you're next

Default Re: Unsurprisingly, Crazy people have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
Or I'll skip work and go protest that ATM
this is the Word of Michael. Amen.

why does this doctor perform circumcisions? does there have to be a medical reason, or can it be cosmetic or religious? if he does it for the latter...well...

would you work for him if he was circumcising females?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I got the choppy-chop at 9 or 10 or so, and I can't say it has had much of an impact on my life.

Lately people go on and on about it - generally people that it has absolutely nothing to do with - in their endless quest for a little spark of drama in what is apparently such a meaningless existence that getting worked up about trivia like these seems like a good idea.

I mean what's next? Survivors of Appendicitis Support Group? Protesting for our Right not to be Traumatized by the Common Cold?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
God Damn it Qingdai, language! Use spoiler tags if you are going to say things like that. Some of us are still recovering from the last time we heard 'the word' out loud.
Thanks, from:
Naru (05-27-2011), Qingdai (05-27-2011), Ymir's blood (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I got the choppy-chop at 9 or 10 or so, and I can't say it has had much of an impact on my life.
How would you know?
Deadlokd (05-28-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
How would you know?
Are you mocking the anguish that I go through, imagining how much greater my life would have been if I still had my appendix? Are you, Angakuk? Why do you hate appendix-loss survivors Angakuk?

You monster!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM

I had an interesting conversation with a virulent anti-circumcision proponent whose baby had pierced ears.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
curses (05-27-2011), Kael (05-27-2011), Naru (05-27-2011), SharonDee (05-27-2011), Watser? (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 AM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a virulent anti-circumcision proponent whose baby had pierced ears.

--J.D.

that simply proves that person was a fucking idiot.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Tellifying

Of course, the OP's point wasn't really about circ or anti-circ, but about people who are fucking crazy. It's little different than protesting high gas prices by boycotting the local gas station for a day. Wait, I take it back, it is quite different since the former are crazy, whereas the latter are just lazy and ignorant.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Of course, the OP's point wasn't really about circ or anti-circ, but about people who are fucking crazy. It's little different than protesting high gas prices by boycotting the local gas station for a day. Wait, I take it back, it is quite different since the former are crazy, whereas the latter are just lazy and ignorant.

agreed. so i asked what the difference would be if the doctor performed female circumcisions? not all female circumcisions are the same and some are comparable to male circumcision in effect (been reading wiki), so would these people be as crazy if they were protesting that?

just kinda wonderin...being a dick.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Those are the type of people that populate mothering.com, crazy to the last one. If it's not blood curdling screams from circumcision, it's the dead, vacant eyes of a child who has been vaccinated.

Last edited by LadyShea; 05-27-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-27-2011), erimir (05-27-2011), Janet (05-28-2011), Kael (05-27-2011), livius drusus (05-27-2011), Naru (05-27-2011), Qingdai (05-27-2011), Watser? (05-27-2011), wei yau (05-27-2011), wildernesse (05-27-2011), Ymir's blood (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Can we all agree that these particular anticircumcision people are nutjobs without also making caricatures of some of the arguments.

While I don't think the doctor is a monster, I do wish I hadn't been circumcised and circumcision is different from pierced ears.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM

I suddenly feel a powerful urge to troll...

"mothering.com - the birthplace of natural family lifestyle"
Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

--J.D.
because circumcision is the same as pierced ears?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Fishy mokey

It's not the same thing, but I can see how it is funny if someone opposes circumcision for someone else's kid while they have their own kid's ears pierced. Seriously, there is even less point in having that done.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Those are the type people that populate mothering.com, crazy to the last one. If it's not blood curdling screams from circumcision, it's the dead vacant eyes of a child who has been vaccinated.
Oh, I totally agree with you.

But, you know what? I was just thinking about this and wonder if my opinion would change if we were talking about female circumcision. You know?

I mean, I know it's a weird thought exercise, but it kinda came to me out of the blue.

Just something to think about.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

The circumcision debate is worth having, there are many rational points to be made. Exaggeration and histrionics shouldn't be part of it though. I don't think the mother in the OP is reasonable.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
The circumcision debate is worth having, there are many rational points to be made. Exaggeration and histrionics shouldn't be part of it though. I don't think the mother in the OP is reasonable.
I completely agree that they are funny and should be laughed at :tmgrin:

I just do not agree with all the comments making fun of their position. I do not think the position that circumcision is bad is farfetched or the same thing as pierced ears.
Deadlokd (05-28-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
It's not the same thing, but I can see how it is funny if someone opposes circumcision for someone else's kid while they have their own kid's ears pierced. Seriously, there is even less point in having that done.
Certainly, its also less mutilation, if the person is making the position that body modification is wrong then sure its inconsistent.

Circumcision is a much bigger deal then a couple of holes in your ears.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 PM

From personal experience, I find it a rather trivial thing, comparable to having had your appendix out. Should you do it when you don't have to? Probably not. Does it have a huge impact on your life? In my case, no definitely not, but other people seem to feel differently.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Unsurprisingly, Crazy people have issues.
Equally unsurprisingly, issues have crazy people.

Thanks, from:
But (05-28-2011), chunksmediocrites (05-27-2011), Crumb (05-27-2011), Deadlokd (05-28-2011), Ensign Steve (05-27-2011), freemonkey (05-27-2011), Hermit (05-28-2011), Kael (05-27-2011), lisarea (05-27-2011), Naru (05-27-2011), Qingdai (05-27-2011), SharonDee (05-27-2011), Watser? (05-27-2011), wei yau (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
From personal experience, I find it a rather trivial thing, comparable to having had your appendix out. Should you do it when you don't have to? Probably not. Does it have a huge impact on your life? In my case, no definitely not, but other people seem to feel differently.
If people were having their kids appendixes taken out because of some sort of religious belief I think it would be a big deal.
But (05-28-2011), Deadlokd (05-28-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I'd just like to all let you know I feel traumatized RIGHT NOW that some of you are trying to reconstruct the circumcision debate. I, mean, I feel like grabbing my child right now, or maybe someone else's child and running from the room, "don't worry you won't get into a pointless internet debate!"
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (05-28-2011), Crumb (05-27-2011), Ensign Steve (05-27-2011), irukandji (05-28-2011), Janet (05-28-2011), Kael (05-27-2011), LadyShea (05-27-2011), Leesifer (06-09-2011), livius drusus (05-27-2011), Naru (05-27-2011), SharonDee (05-27-2011), Sock Puppet (05-27-2011), wei yau (05-27-2011), Ymir's blood (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Circumcision generally isn't going to ruin your life.

But it also depends on how good of one you got - even leaving aside the horribly botched ones (the ones that led to lethal infections, or cut so much skin off that erections are painful, etc.) it can lead to weird scarification that decreases the attractiveness (visually and texturally). I'm sure those men would have a different opinion about it as well.

But those protesters sound... pretty stupid.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Yeah, I also don't believe in gender re-assignment surgery/treatment until a child is of an age to make their own informed decision, but what do you think about picketing empty buildings on dead end streets? How many homeless campers do you think they'll engage in meaningful, thoughtful dialog?
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-27-2011), Kael (05-27-2011), LadyShea (05-27-2011), livius drusus (05-27-2011), mulebear (05-28-2011), Naru (05-27-2011), Sock Puppet (05-27-2011), wei yau (05-27-2011), wildernesse (05-27-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium