Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Name Dropper

Default Re: Two Minutes Hate

:rustycrowbar:
Ensign Steve (05-17-2013), lisarea (05-17-2013), Pan Narrans (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

We need a smilie for that. Seriously. I wonder if I should commission someone on DeviantArt for one.

How about this. The delivery vehicles for Oppenheimer's Light can be in the shape and form of rusty crowbars?

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Feel the Bern!
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (05-21-2013), Ensign Steve (05-19-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

As far as rants go, this is pretty minor. It's still annoying, though.

Every so often, they get the bright idea to update the computers' operating systems here. Usually, I have to go and reconfigure things after they do, because every update seems to involve messing up my settings, so things don't work the way I want them to.

With the latest update, every single time I pull up or refresh a web page, a bar pops up on the right side of the screen listing a whole bunch of "related searches" that I might me interested in. So for every single web page I pull up, I have to click on this thing to close it, as it covers a decent portion of the screen.

Another annoying thing the newest update does is that it highlights words in posts, giving me the option of clicking on them to go to advertisements where I can "learn more" about products relating to this word.

No, I don't want to go to a website where I can buy Star Trek-related products. If I did, I'd have no trouble finding such a site on my own. Just let me read the FF without every other word being a link to someplace trying to sell me something!

Ugh. So far, I haven't figured out how to disable these newest features.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), lisarea (05-19-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Ymir's blood (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

The ad links sound more like malware than a native setting. What browser is this?
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), lisarea (05-19-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM

It's Windows, though I don't think it's the very latest edition. Do you think it'd help if I re-booted the Preferences and told it to go back to my original Preferences?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM

I suspect not, because I think what you've got there is one of those pesky search add-ons that shady outfits trick people into installing. Click Start - Control Panel- Add/Remove Programs (called Program Features if it's Windows Vista or Windows 7) and look for the most recent installations. If there's any kind of search toolbar or browser aide, uninstall it.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Coffin Creep

:psst:
curses (05-19-2013), Ensign Steve (05-19-2013), Janet (05-21-2013), livius drusus (05-19-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

:cookiemonster:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-19-2013), Ensign Steve (05-19-2013), Janet (05-21-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Qingdai (05-19-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013), Ymir's blood (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 AM

Dangit. It must be some sort of malware. In searching through the installations log, there are tons and tons of updates -- mostly by Microsoft. Fair enough, but it seems like half the time the school decides to update the system, it works less efficiently.

I did find a recent update that seems suspicous, so I disabled it. And now the computer won't let me log in; the error message says something to the effect of "This computer is no longer trustworthy." Golly.

So, I re-started in safe mode and told it to restore from an earlier date. Maybe that will take care of the issue. If not, I'm going to have to talk with the IT guy on Monday.

Naturally, of course, I've got course outlines and grade sheets stored on my office computer, so I'd like to get it working properly again. Fortunately, everything's backed up. Still, it's a pain. Maybe I can use the opportunity to convince the school that I could use one of those shiny new computers like what they've got here in the student lounge, and not a relatively ancient machine that struggles to run anything that requires much processing power. [Maybe they just don't want faculty members to be wasting their time watching YouTube videos. ...]

Let's see if the office computer is ready to test yet ...
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), lisarea (05-19-2013), livius drusus (05-19-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
As far as rants go, this is pretty minor. It's still annoying, though.

Every so often, they get the bright idea to update the computers' operating systems here. Usually, I have to go and reconfigure things after they do, because every update seems to involve messing up my settings, so things don't work the way I want them to.

With the latest update, every single time I pull up or refresh a web page, a bar pops up on the right side of the screen listing a whole bunch of "related searches" that I might me interested in. So for every single web page I pull up, I have to click on this thing to close it, as it covers a decent portion of the screen.

Another annoying thing the newest update does is that it highlights words in posts, giving me the option of clicking on them to go to advertisements where I can "learn more" about products relating to this word.

No, I don't want to go to a website where I can buy Star Trek-related products. If I did, I'd have no trouble finding such a site on my own. Just let me read the FF without every other word being a link to someplace trying to sell me something!

Ugh. So far, I haven't figured out how to disable these newest features.
I think this might be a feature on the internet because I have it on my computer and I haven't upgraded my program for a long time, before these links started showing up.
Thanks, from:
erimir (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 AM

Well, there's progress of sorts.

I've got the computer recognizing me again, so I can use it. But even after the restoration, Internet Explorer keeps putting up all those links and advertisements whenever I'm trying to read.

I'll probably mess with it some more tomorrow. Or just wait 'til Tuesday, when the IT guy is on campus, and let him get his hands on the computer. I bet he'll know what to do ...
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (05-19-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 03:22 AM

That stuff can be very hard to eradicate. Is there any kind of brand name visible, perhaps on the search bar that pops up? If you can find out exactly what kind of beast it is, we might be able to shoot it between the eyes.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

It's almost definitely malware like drusus says. You usually end up with it when you install unrelated software, I think, and most of them are browser add-ons just like what you're describing. Unfortunately, the uninstall procedures vary depending on which one you have.

If you don't immediately see a brand name or something, maybe you could take a screenshot and post it and we could figure it out.

And thedoc, you too, if you want.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), livius drusus (05-19-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-21-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Name Dropper

A contract computer guy here at D-BAG INC. LLC blamed malware and a plethora of toolbars on the IE at my shared workstation on the PC having Chrome installed. LOL, no. It's my dumkopf cow-orkers who don't know to unclick the boxes saying the crapware they're downloading is going to install a toolbar or three. We didn't have this problem on the peecee until a certain someone filled in for a set of day shifts. I would have fixed it myself, but somewhere during my two year absence from this console, someone with infinite wisdumb decided to take away my admin power on this machine.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

What the hell kind of bullplop is this?

Dressing down a culture for refusing to dress up - CBS News

This is actually a college level course titled "A Nation of Slobs"?

TLR, Clutch. You've got a LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO right now. A LOT.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-21-2013), chunksmediocrites (05-23-2013), Demimonde (05-21-2013), Dingfod (05-22-2013), livius drusus (05-21-2013), MonCapitan2002 (05-23-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013), Watser? (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Yah, but, Notre Dame.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (05-22-2013), lisarea (05-21-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

I agree, women should dress better.

And we should all get ponies. Like they had in the good old days.

PS.

Quote:
Professor Linda Przybyszewski
WTF, why hasn't somone in the family changed that last name? My wife's family changed their last name because too many on the boat had the same name. So they came up with a new one to help pass the time.
Dingfod (05-22-2013), lisarea (05-21-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Born-again counter

Wonder is she's related to Prof. Prlwytzkofsky, a famous Dutch scientist.

chunksmediocrites (05-23-2013), Demimonde (05-21-2013), Dingfod (05-22-2013), Janet (05-21-2013), lisarea (05-21-2013), livius drusus (05-21-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013), Watser? (05-21-2013), Ymir's blood (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGod View Post
I agree, women should dress better.

And we should all get ponies. Like they had in the good old days.

PS.

WTF, why hasn't somone in the family changed that last name? My wife's family changed their last name because too many on the boat had the same name. So they came up with a new one to help pass the time.
A teacher at my elementary school had the same name (I thought it was her, but just now remembered the right first name). They look a bit alike, though.

I was trying to look her up a month or so back, because I couldn't remember how to spell her name.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
It's almost definitely malware like drusus says. You usually end up with it when you install unrelated software, I think, and most of them are browser add-ons just like what you're describing. Unfortunately, the uninstall procedures vary depending on which one you have.

If you don't immediately see a brand name or something, maybe you could take a screenshot and post it and we could figure it out.

And thedoc, you too, if you want.
Welp, I just spoke with the IT guy, who confirms that it's some sort of malware. Unsurprisingly, he says that he's been receiving lots of complaints since the last upgrade. So, he's looking into getting some sort of program that we can download to clean up our computers.

In the meantime, while it's not that big a problem, it's certainly annoying.

I took a quick screenshot a moment ago; if anyone knows what it might be and/or how to eradicate it, I'd be ever so grateful. What it seems to do is look at whatever website you've pulled up and then put a list of "Related Searches" on the right side of the screen and several advertisements on the bottom of the screen. (I closed that window, then, before closing the one on the right thought "Wait, I should take a screenshot.")

So in this case, I was looking up information on my favorite owl species, Megascops asio, and for some reason, got lots of links to travel destinations. What's not obvious in this screenshot is how it also underlines various words and adds links to advertisements if you click on them or hover your cursor over them.

Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Damn, no brand. That grey box in the upper left of the related searches column, is it clickable?
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Since no one else is doing it any more...

LOL GOT MAC?
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Ah, it is, as it turns out. Takes you to a site called "WebCake".

And look at that, it has -- or so it claims -- instructions on how to uninstall! I'd just been closing the thing all this time.

And yes, this is part of the reason why I personally prefer Macs. But I don't get a choice as to the computer I use in the office, alas. ...
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), livius drusus (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Aaaaand ... it seems to have worked. Remarkably simple, once you know what to look for. Thanks!

I'd better let the IT guy know what to look for. Apparently, he's gotten lots of complaints, but I'm assuming he hasn't had time to run them down yet. At least we can let people how to get rid of the darned thing until he's finished updating the system's security.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-21-2013), livius drusus (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM

These kinds of programs can't be trusted to uninstall themselves cleanly because their whole MO is trickery. I suggest you set a restore point, download HiJack This, run the exe, run a scan, check every line that includes any iteration of WebCake and click the "Fix Checked" button. This can be a daunting procedure because HiJack This returns registry entries and lots of other stuff, so if you're not comfortable doing it, get your IT guy to run it for you. He should do the same for every other enduser computer he has to clean.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (05-23-2013), curses (05-21-2013), Dingfod (05-22-2013), Janet (05-21-2013), Kael (05-22-2013), lisarea (05-21-2013), Nullifidian (05-22-2013), SharonDee (05-23-2013), Stormlight (05-22-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-21-2013), Ymir's blood (05-21-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium