Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 08-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Admin

Default Bill Gates: Philanthropist

Okay, I have to say that I've been talking smack about Gates and Microsoft for years primarily because of their choking out so many little businesses in an effort to monopolize the software market and horde money.

Or so it seemed.

Now I'm starting to think... what if it was all just a trick? What if Gates horded all this wealth and choked out all those companies not because he wanted to get obscenely wealthy, but because he wanted to suck corporate America dry and give the money to the needy!

I mean seriously. This article describes some pretty damn amazing acts of philanthropy. Isn't it at least possible that he's not Satan after all?

Help me out here. I'm tryin' to find some good in the world...
Old 08-27-2004, 11:24 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: Bill Gates: Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Isn't it at least possible that he's not Satan after all?
Perhaps he just sold his soul to Satan and now he's dedicated his life to Jebus............. naw, can't be, those rich Republicans that claim to be followers o' Jebus don't seem to have a problem with accumulating... er, hoarding wealth.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:38 PM
dancing backward in high heels

No, he actually does a lot in the area of infectious diseases in third world countries. Didn't know about the UNCF donation, but he's contributed quite a bit of money into TB research (as mentioned in the article) and rotavirus vaccine research, for example.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:11 PM

I _could_ be wrong, but search back a bit and see if he did squat in that area before he got married. It isn't him, it is his wife.

Besides, the only reason I think they do those types of things is for tax reasons.

-Scott
Old 08-27-2004, 03:36 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

From a practical standpoint, does it really matter WHY he does it, as long as he does it? Maybe he is just trying to make himself look good, after all the man is eccentric and odd by most standards, but those funds are needed even if they come from Satan.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
I _could_ be wrong, but search back a bit and see if he did squat in that area before he got married. It isn't him, it is his wife.
:D That was my thought too. Look at the name, after all. "The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation". FWIW I believe his father is the Chairman or something. Not sure about that. And yeah, IIRC when I was working in the computer field 7 yrs. ago or so his total contributions to charity amounted to less than 1% of his income. Still more than me, but not very impressive. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
From a practical standpoint, does it really matter WHY he does it, as long as he does it? Maybe he is just trying to make himself look good, after all the man is eccentric and odd by most standards, but those funds are needed even if they come from Satan.
Absolutely, I agree. I was shocked when I read that the assets of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation dwarf those of the Rockefeller and Ford foundations. That's some awesome power for good that seems like it's actually being used for good.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:33 PM
dancing backward in high heels

Quote:
Exactly. I've read some things he's written on the infectious disease topic, and even if he's done all this at his wife's badgering, he certainly seems to know his stuff and be interested in it. And at least it's something while rich jackasses like Ken Lay and others are just busy screwing as many people as they can rather than actually helping anyone.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:53 PM

I am happy that he does give the money out, and maybe he even knows the topic, I mean the guy isn't stupid, I hope I never implied that.

To me, I guess it does matter why you do something, but I don't have a better explaination then that (to the people he helps, I am sure it doesn't matter).

Maybe it is all the years of grief and pain he has caused me, with no end in sight.

I mean, if you can say it is great that he donates money and he doesn't care, he also doesn't care that he causes more pain and suffering for more people then he helps.

Not death, but a total, brain numbing, money losing, time wasting pile of rancid festering dung that is splattered on your face and won't let go.

Other then that, I think he is just great.

-Scott
Old 08-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Maybe it is all the years of grief and pain he has caused me, with no end in sight.

I mean, if you can say it is great that he donates money and he doesn't care, he also doesn't care that he causes more pain and suffering for more people then he helps.
Heh. Well I don't know if you're just being facetious, but even though I know the pain and suffering of supporting M$ products (and the perfectly good products tainted by their presence) I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare it to being exposed to AIDS and such. :eek:
Old 08-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Resurrected!

And just think for those of us that won't donate ourselves, yet will go out and purchase M$ products, we are inadvertently doing the world good.
:P

Chris
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Desperandum
And just think for those of us that won't donate ourselves, yet will go out and purchase M$ products, we are inadvertently doing the world good.
:P
Wait. You'd pay for an M$ product? :D
Old 08-28-2004, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Heh. Well I don't know if you're just being facetious, but even though I know the pain and suffering of supporting M$ products (and the perfectly good products tainted by their presence) I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare it to being exposed to AIDS and such. :eek:
You really have never used a M$ product before have you?

:D

-Scott
Old 08-31-2004, 05:25 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Come now, M$, by producing the shitty product and monopolizing the computer world through it's questionable business practices, has created millions upon millions of jobs fixing that shit. You should thank Bill Gates, Scotty.

Or not, I don't really care.

P.S. I just wish Mr. Gates would realize that I would be very happy if he were to misplace about $2 Million into my bank account. Trust me, he would never miss it.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law