Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

It either is serious, or we've been conned by it repeatedly. I figure you can count on needing a tooth cleaning every five years or so for cats and dogs both; and it can cause them pretty bad problems if they don't get it, like infections and stuff. I think I've twice had cats get abscesses from it. It's also the first thing we had to do for Buddy when he came home because his teeth were really dirty and messed up and one needed pulled.

It's pretty expensive, really, because they have to anesthetize them to do it, but yeah, I really think it is necessary and I wish it weren't because it sucks.

In fact, Zsa Zsa just had her annual checkup yesterday, and got a totally clean bill of health, PLUS the vet said her teeth were super-clean for her age, so she doesn't need a cleaning yet. So I'm going to start brushing her teeth to see how long I can put it off for her.

So I am sorry that your cat is a big defective and already needs a tooth cleaning. You must be a bad mom or something.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-28-2011), Sophia (01-30-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
California Sober

Thanks. Both her adoptive parents have bad teeth so while it may not be genetic she definitely has humans in the house who understand what kind of suffering is involved with that. We'll take care of it!

:mutter:
Sophia (01-30-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

So, due to the non-stop peer pressure on FF (and elsewhere, to be honest) I have applied to adopt a puppy. I don't know if I have a chance, as I never had a pet and don't have a fence, but I couldn't resist. He's a corgi, which is one of my favorite breeds, mixed with they're not sure what, and he has one of the names I've always considered giving a dog. So, keep your fingers crossed that Warwick will soon be mine.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (01-28-2011), JoeP (01-28-2011), lisarea (01-28-2011), livius drusus (01-28-2011), Sock Puppet (01-31-2011), Stephen Maturin (01-29-2011), vremya (01-29-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
California Sober

The humane society in my county said we didn't need a fence if our dog was going to be an indoor dog (she is).
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Warwick is fluffy adorability incarnate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get him, Janet. :crossed: :crossed:

ES, my cat had bad tartar too. She went through the whole anesthesia tooth cleaning ordeal and then we switched foods to Science Diet Oral Care and from that point on her teeth have been in great shape. I don't think there's any secret to the recipe of that food. It's just that each crunchy is much larger than the normal dry cat food so she gets a good teeth scraping every time she noms.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-28-2011), Sonoma Bear (01-29-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

:cheer: Janet, Warwick is one cute pup!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Oh no, the cute! It burns!

(Must resist getting another dog so soon.)
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Isn't Q kind of young to have tartar? You are feeding her kibble food, not just soft food? Because soft food will build up tartar quickly. It's not so much a scam, as it is income for the vet and better health for your cat. But you don't have to have it done, as long as you are providing her with something crunchy to overcome some of the tartar. I personally would try to avoid it because it's generally traumatic for the cat.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-30-2011)
Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM
California Sober

She is really young, like 2 years. We give her wet and dry food, and she prefers the dry so I have been thinking of taking the wet out entirely since it often goes to waste. I guess I'll do that.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

My cat lived to be about 12-13 before he ... was put down for kidney disease, and he didn't have much tartar, because until the last few years of his life, he ate mostly dry food. And I never had his teeth cleaned.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

It also depends on the cat, too. (In fact, after I said that bullshit about 'every five years,' I realized that I think Battlecat's only had her teeth cleaned once, and she's about nineteen. She's a freak.) But I've had different cats in the same environment, same diet, and some just have crappy teeth no matter what you do.

Like me. I used to get lectured by dentists sometimes because I was always getting new cavities. It wasn't until I got a dentist who had awful teeth himself that anyone believed me that I really do brush and floss and do all the stuff I'm supposed to.

I only hope that V has the same sparkling and vivacious personality I do, to mitigate the social damages of having nasty hillbilly teeth.
Thanks, from:
One for Sorrow (01-31-2011), Ymir's blood (01-30-2011)
Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Like me. I used to get lectured by dentists sometimes because I was always getting new cavities. It wasn't until I got a dentist who had awful teeth himself that anyone believed me that I really do brush and floss and do all the stuff I'm supposed to.
Yeah, this, but also my mom has really crappy teeth and the army dentist said bad teeth are genetic, so there you go. From the time I was little (even my accident aside) good oral hygiene meant brush, floss, and go to the dentist every six months and see how many fillings or crowns you need.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Elephant Talk

My baby girl. She's 11 yo and has some serious arthritis in her back. With her "chariot" she can hike around the neighborhood again.

The jeans and byzantine wallet chain belong to my oldest son.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-31-2011), Crumb (01-31-2011), Ensign Steve (02-02-2011), lisarea (01-31-2011), livius drusus (01-31-2011), mulebear (01-31-2011), Sock Puppet (02-02-2011), Sonoma Bear (02-01-2011), Stormlight (01-31-2011), vremya (01-31-2011), Watser? (01-31-2011), Ymir's blood (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Wow, check out those BMX tires. She's EXTREME.
Thanks, from:
ravenscape (01-31-2011), Shelli (02-05-2011), Sonoma Bear (02-01-2011), vremya (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Wheelie Dog is Awesome!
ravenscape (01-31-2011), Sonoma Bear (02-01-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
California Sober

I, for one, welcome our new cyborg dog overlords.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Elephant Talk

cylon or not, if she wants french nails she's gonna have to get a job.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
ŧiggermonkey

Sad Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

The first of my fur kids, Flint, left this world Tuesday at about 6:00 pm.

Up until this past Friday night, besides losing some weight, he seemed to be fine. He was eating a little less, but okay, and seemed to be his bouncy self.

Friday night, I became a little worried when Flint, after coming for his night treats, sniffed them and walked away without a bite. That was a first ever. Also, he wasn't at the top of the stairs to greet me as usual. I had to look and look to find where he was hiding himself away. I decided to put some tuna in front of him (and the others, but of course) figuring that if he didn't go for that, he was going to the vet STAT. My worries were put on the back burner for the night when he did, in fact, eat up his tuna.

Saturday morning, however, he was more listless than before and would not eat at all. Nothing, not tuna, not anything. I had him at the vet at 8:45 am. When they first asked how old he was, I guessed 11 or 12. While I was waiting, however, I realized that he was 4 months from 14. He was an old man, but I'd forget because he didn't act it.

Upon seeing him, the vet said that he looked pretty good (eyes, gums, etc, that they check first thing) besides the weight loss and his temperature, rather than being possibly high, was instead low; low enough to cause concern. They took some blood for tests and Flinty waited on a covered heating pad for the results.

The results were the worst they could be.

Flint was in the last stages of kidney failure. There was nothing to do except a kidney transplant, which as far gone as it was, and with his heart murmur, chances were better than good that he wouldn't have made it through the surgery anyway.

I was too stunned and a little in denial at first. I asked the vet if she had tested for a urinary infection (ignoring the fact that, even if he did have a urinary tract infection, curing that would not change the fact that his kidneys were shot beyond repair.

She said she would test for that and took Flint again for a urine sample.

After she left Flint at the lab, she came back in to discuss Flint's condition with me. This time it sunk in and I excused myself from the room when the tears started and went outside to be alone for a couple minutes.

I came back in just as the vet tech was bringing Flint back to me. When I took him out, the vet tech came to me with a can of kidney friendly Science Diet cat food that Flint had eaten a nice portion of food from. As bad as his prognosis was, that was a positive sign. I brought that can and two others home with me and Flint.

After I got home with Flint and everything was settled, I decided to see if he'd eat some more food, and I was very happy to see that he did. Later that night, I tried to get him to eat more, but he didn't want any. Whatever, I thought, he ate a lot today, considering everything.

Sunday, he was a little more listless and wouldn't eat at all the whole day and night. He'd come to his dish when it was treats or food time, but would walk away empty bellied. He'd drink water and use the litter box, but that was it. :sigh:

By Monday morning, he was weaker still and almost fell just walking to the litter box. I thought my heart would break. :sniffle:

I made an appointment Monday for Tuesday evening with his regular vet, rather than the one I went to Saturday on emergency, to do what I had naively hoped that I would never have to do.

Tuesday, I left work early due to Flint and yet another snowstorm. After I cleared an area for the dogs to go the bathroom, I went upstairs and spent a couple hours with Flint who I'd had all snuggly warm in my bedroom for the last few days, with a litter box, water and food, should he decide he wanted it.

He hadn't eaten anything again and he was weaker than ever. He would try to meow but could only get out a faint sound, and he was having trouble breathing. I felt sooo bad for him and knew that bringing him to the vet that night was the only right thing to do, but at the same time, I didn't want to lose my Flinty soooo bad. :tear:

I was and am so glad that I had spent the last few nights cuddled on my bed with him, cuddling him and petting him gently for hours. I'm also so glad that Sunday, I took him on what I knew would be his last Magic Laundry Basket Ride before he got too week to want to. I had to put him in it rather than him jumping in like he used to, but he purred and loved it as he looked through holes of the basket as he got his tour of the second floor in his Magic Laundry Basket.

The last thing I could think of to do with him before he couldn't / didn't have the energy, was cuddle him in my arms in his favorite way so that he'd bury his cute, furry, little head into the crook of my arm in his lovable way that always made me smile and feel all warm inside.

Well, Tuesday was it. He couldn't even breath well and would sit hunched up in pain, not wanting to move. It looked like the appointment I had made the day before would have to be kept.

I wondered what I could have with me of him when he was alive and got an idea. I asked Flint if I could have a bit of his fur for a locket to wear. He purred a yes to me and I did just that. I have his fur in a safe place until I get a locket for it.

When it was past time and the vet had called wondering where I was, I did what I never wanted to do, but it had to be done. Every step I took was so hard. Putting the towels in the carrier for the last time. Gently putting Flinty in the carrier for the last time. And walking out the door with Flinty for the last time.

I sat with Flint in the back of the car on the way there, with the door of the carrier open and petting him to a soft purr all the way, telling him it would be okay. When we arrived, as I walked him into the office, I started crying, but being careful to do it as silently as possible so that I didn't scare Flint. The vet let me take him out of the carrier and I held him while the vet explained that he was going to give him a sedative so that he wouldn't be freaked out and wouldn't feel a thing. Then I held and pet Flint, telling him what a good boy he was while the vet gave him the shot. Then I held him for a couple of minutes afterwards while the sedative took effect.

Then the vet gently told me/asked me to put him on the table but at first I was shaking and so scared of letting go that I couldn't. The vet patiently waited for a minute and then I gently laid Flinty down.

After the vet assured me that Flint wouldn't feel a thing, he shaved the fur off of a section of his inner leg and then readied to put the syringe in with the stuff that would stop his heart and his suffering. I didn't watch. Instead, I bent down and laid the side of my face against the side of Flint's the whole while, telling him that it would be okay and that I loved him. Finally, I sensed that it was over, looked up bleary eyed, and asked the vet, "Is he ... dead... ? He listened with his stethoscope and pronounced that his heart had stopped. It was then that I lost it. I cried and cried while my step-son hugged me. My husband couldn't be there because he was still in work. Ohmygod.. my baby.... my Flinty... dead. Nooo... please, no! :ffcry:

The vet left us for a couple minutes until I regained control and then we discussed after death options and payment. In the end, I chose cremation and the total for the euthanasia and the cremation was $250.00.

When I left the office, I was numb. The vet had to come after me with the carrier because I had left without it. When I got to the car, I felt dead inside. I just stood there, arms hanging. My step-son gently led me to the passenger side and drove me home. Once there, he talked unimportant stuff to me, trying to get me to engage in conversation with him, I'm sure because I must have looked lost. I know I felt lost. Then, after he ate, when he normally would have retreated to his cave, he asked me what I was going to eat. I said, I didn't know and that I wasn't very hungry. He knew I hadn't eaten all day though, so he insisted that I think of something. Finally, I agreed to his chicken and rice soup with just enough hot green chilies to spice it up good. He made that and stayed downstairs while I ate it, then my husband came home and Justin went upstairs. I really didn't want to talk about the whole thing much at that time, so, I went to bed shortly afterward and cuddled with my cats, Tika, Tanis and Kit, silently crying off and on until I fell asleep.

Goodbye, Flinty-Flint. I'll always love you. :beating:

Here is Flint/Flinty/Flinty-Flint, the kitty who loved Magic Laundry Basket Rides, loved to cuddle in my arms, burying little furry head into me. The kitty who used to ride around on my shoulders, watching his world go by from above. The kitty who loved to play and bounce around. You never knew when he'd suddenly bounce in front of you.. on the the dresser, the table, the sink, etc, demanding attention with a loud MEOW. :aww: The kitty who loved treat time, tuna time and catnip time. The kitty who would jump in the towel cabinet when I opened it to put towels away and then as I as I filled up the cabinet with towels, jump into the laundry basket for a ride. My little Flinty :hearts:

Picture taken this past Monday morning after I got him all settled on warm poofy stuff, in my warm bedroom. :aww:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flinty 029.jpg (210.1 KB, 18 views)
BrotherMan (02-03-2011), Crumb (02-03-2011), curses (02-07-2011), Demimonde (02-03-2011), Ensign Steve (02-03-2011), JoeP (02-04-2011), lisarea (02-03-2011), livius drusus (02-03-2011), ravenscape (02-04-2011), S.Vashti (02-04-2011), SharonDee (02-04-2011), Sock Puppet (02-04-2011), Sonoma Bear (02-04-2011), vremya (02-04-2011), Watser? (02-03-2011), Ymir's blood (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Coffin Creep

:tear: :hug:
Shelli (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Oh Shelli, I am so sorry and crying for you and Flint. Be glad that you gave him such a wonderful life and had the gift of his love.

:hug:
Shelli (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM

What a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry he's gone, Shells. :badday:
Thanks, from:
Shelli (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

He was such a cutie, Shelli. :aww: So sorry you had to let him go. I bet he had a great life with you though.
Shelli (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Elephant Talk

He's a beauty. I'm sorry he's gone, poor guy. It leaves such a hole. Thanks for sharing a little about him.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thank you for sharing, Shelli. My condolences for your loss.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (02-03-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 AM
ŧiggermonkey

Thanks, everyone.

It seems so silly, but part of me had wanted to think that they'd live forever. My kids, my confidants, my furry little buddies. :purr:

Tika, 15, getting very thin, and falling asleep sitting up like an old person does (which is kinda cute, actually :giggle:), I think will be the next to go. Tanis and Kit are both 14 this year also, but seem to be in better health, being still plump, hungry, and playful as ever. Even so, all three of them are going to get extra special attention from here out. I can't wait until tomorrow when I know that tomorrow may never come.

The same goes with my dogs. Raistlin, a cocker, is 9 this year. Shelby, a sheltie, is next oldest at 8, and Tigger, also a cocker is 6. I probably have another 3 years at best with Raistlin, given cocker's life spans. Since getting diagnosed and properly treated for inflammatory bowel disease, an auto-immune disease, he's in very good health these days, the best ever. But it's time to stop kidding myself that I've got forever with them.

It hurts a lot to know that I'm going to outlive all of my kids, but there it is. I'd rather have them leave this world knowing I gave them all the attention they deserve than wishing I gave them more.

That said, I have fur kids to attend to/play with. :catglomp: :dogglomp:
BrotherMan (02-04-2011), Crumb (02-04-2011), JoeP (02-04-2011), lisarea (02-04-2011), livius drusus (02-04-2011), SharonDee (02-04-2011), Sock Puppet (02-04-2011), Sonoma Bear (02-04-2011), vremya (02-04-2011), Watser? (02-04-2011), Ymir's blood (02-04-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle