Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Default Re: Ultimate Cagefight MMXIX, Democratic Edition

Here's Matt Taibbi on Deval Patrick's entry into the 2020 Democratic Primary:
Deval Patrick’s Candidacy Is Another Chapter in the Democrats’ 2020 Clown Car Disaster: The entrance of the former Massachusetts governor into the presidential race is more proof the party has no clue where the votes are

Quote:
Patrick’s entry comes after news that former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg put himself on the ballot in Alabama and Arkansas. It also comes amid word from Hillary Clinton that “many, many, many” people are urging her to run in 2020, and whispers in the press that an “anxious Democratic establishment” has been praying for alternate candidacies in a year that had already seen an astonishing 26 different people jump in the race.

A piece in the New York Times a few weeks ago suggested Democratic insiders, going through a “Maalox moment” as they contemplated possible failure in next year’s general election season, were fantasizing about “white knight” campaigns by Clinton, Patrick, John Kerry, Michelle Obama, former Attorney General Eric Holder (!), or Ohio’s Sherrod Brown.

The story described “concern” that “party elites” have about the existing field:
Quote:
With doubts rising about former Vice President Joseph R. Biden’s ability to finance a multistate primary campaign, persistent questions about Senator Elizabeth Warren’s viability in the general election and skepticism that Mayor Pete Buttigieg, of South Bend, Ind., can broaden his appeal beyond white voters, Democratic leaders are engaging in a familiar rite: fretting about who is in the race

LOL at the non-mention of Bernie Sanders in that passage. If Bernie wins the nomination, “Buttigieg Finishes Encouraging Fourth” is going to be your A1 Times headline.

Patrick in announcing voiced a similar set of “concerns,” basically saying he’s proud to enter this deep, richly experienced field that sucks just enough to force his emergency entrance: “I admire and respect the candidates in the Democratic field. They bring a richness of ideas and experience and a depth of character that makes me proud to be a Democrat. But if the character of the candidates is an issue in every election, this time is about the character of the country.”

The Times said Patrick’s policy prescriptions place him “closer to the ideological center than to the left.” In another story about Patrick and Bloomberg, the Times explained that both men “believe there is room in the race for a more dynamic candidate who is closer to the political middle than Mr. Biden’s two most prominent challengers, Ms. Warren and Senator Bernie Sanders.”

People like Bloomberg and Patrick seem to believe in the existence of a massive electoral “middle” that wants 15-point plans and meritocratic slogans instead of action. As befits brilliant political strategists, they also seem hyper-concerned about the feelings of the country’s least numerous demographic, the extremely rich. A consistent theme is fear (often described in papers like the Times as “concern”) that the rhetoric of Warren and Sanders might unduly upset wealthy folk.
Not the wealthy folk!

Quote:
From Donald Trump to Sanders to Warren, the politicians attracting the biggest and most enthusiastic responses in recent years have run on furious, throw-the-bums-out themes, for the logical reason that bums by now clearly need throwing out.

America’s political establishment has created vast inequities not only in the economy, but in criminal justice (where street crime is heavily punished, but white collar crime is not), war (it’s mostly not the sons and daughters of politicians and CEOs getting killed in overseas conflicts), health care (where much of the population lives in fear that getting sick will trigger bankruptcy), debt forgiveness (Wall Street bailout recipients got to write off losses, but people suffering foreclosures and student loan defaults are ruined), and other arenas.

You can’t capture the widespread discontent over these issues if you’re running on a message that the donor class doesn’t deserve censure for helping create these messes. It’s worse if you actually worked — as Patrick did — for a company like Ameriquest, a poster child for the practices that caused the 2008 financial crisis: using aggressive and/or predatory tactics to push homeowners into new subprime mortgages or mortgage refis, fueling the disastrous financial bubble.
For me this looks like more centrists to peel votes from Biden- great! The dude literally worked for private equity and private venture company Bain Capital- Mitt Romney's old stomping grounds- and for motherfucking Texaco- and for a subprime mortgage company Ameriquest. This is the guy- candidate number 28- that is going to lead the Democratic Party. Are you fucking joking? This is amazing.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Buttigieg Campaign Appeals To Moderate Republicans By Touting Low Approval Among Black Voters Onion

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (11-21-2019), SR71 (11-19-2019), The Man (11-19-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 11:01 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Okay there was a fifth debate Nov 20:
Vox: 4 winners and 3 losers from the November Democratic debate
NBCNews: Read: Democratic debate transcript, November 20, 2019
Jacobin- Last Night’s Democratic Debate Was Really Bad
Quote:
Bernie Sanders talked about his signature issues and made a number of bold interventions on foreign policy. Elizabeth Warren led with corruption. Amy Klobuchar offered up her trademark bromides about how good things aren’t possible, to the usual plaudits from some members of the media. Pete Buttigieg traded in misleading talking points about health-care policy originally pioneered by Republicans. Kamala Harris and Tulsi Gabbard had a tense exchange that mirrored this summer’s clash in Detroit. Andrew Yang, who was afforded by far the least speaking time by MSNBC’s moderators, managed to get in a somewhat pointed answer about young men and gun violence. Perhaps exhausted from his journey through time prior to the debate, Joe Biden stumbled between soporific drowsiness and mercurial anger.

In other words: a mostly par-for-the-course Democratic Party affair circa 2019.

If the debate made for frustrating viewing, the major reasons were what it didn’t include — and the peculiar framings of key issues that resulted from MSNBC’s chosen questions and at times intensely partisan moderation (with a few assists from the candidates themselves).
SNL had a satire:

recent reporting suggests Kamala Harris' campaign is imploding.
Bloomberg dropped a $37 million ad buy to siphon votes away from Biden, and because he's in the race his news network now covers no part of the presidential race.
Yang and his supporters are pissed about MSNBC's biased coverage.
Sanders campaign hits record 4 million donors.
Buttigieg Surging in Iowa and New Hampshire; his voter demographic trends sharply into the same as Warren's- PMC affluent white voters; so here's the mirror:
Warren sees some sign of her surge declining.
Booker's Super Pac friends said it's crickets over here; Booker still fighting for spot in next debate, buying ads.
Biden leading but soft support.

The good news on the December debates is it is likely we'll see four less candidates on the stage; only six have qualified so far.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

I can't pick a clear favorite yet. I was really hoping Harris would do better, but since she hasn't, I just keep scrolling through the defects in each candidate and trying to decide which are worst. I don't really care about policies that much, except as planks for the campaign platforms, because I'm skeptical the senate will change hands. I really just need them to beat Trump at this point. They may as well do a Napolean Dynamite. Vote for me and your wildest dreams will come true. Basic minimum income anyone? The republicans are sure to continue shutting down anything coming out of the house just as they are now anyway.

My evaluation of the relative merits is mostly academic in any case. The candidate is basically picked before my state ever votes.

I really hope there's at least one in the bunch that can really trounce Trump, and I really hope they get picked out of the crowd.
Stephen Maturin (12-03-2019), The Man (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Welcome to 2019 America, where the presidential campaign of anti-vax celebrity/woomeister Marianne Williamson has officially outlasted that of U.S. Senator Kamala Harris.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (12-04-2019), Crumb (12-03-2019), Ensign Steve (12-03-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-03-2019), mickthinks (12-04-2019), slimshady2357 (12-04-2019), specious_reasons (12-04-2019), SR71 (12-04-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:15 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Welcome to 2019 America, where the presidential campaign of anti-vax celebrity/woomeister Marianne Williamson has officially outlasted that of U.S. Senator Kamala Harris.
Mildly bummed about Harris, I liked her, but it was more for personality than any particular policy.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (12-04-2019), Stephen Maturin (12-04-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

The loss of Harris is felt pretty hard through POC; Harris was a voice they felt they could count on to include them. Shoved off the stage by some white billionaires who I'm sure will want a return on their invesment.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-05-2019), Ensign Steve (12-05-2019), slimshady2357 (12-05-2019), SR71 (12-05-2019), The Lone Ranger (12-05-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 04:36 PM

I agree with Booker on one thing. We need a minority on the ticket, not just a stand-in. I hate to be crass, but it bears pointing out -

Gore, white, lost*
Kerry, white, lost
Obama, mixed, won
Clinton H., white, lost
* lost, conceded, w/e

Something about a Biden/Harris ticket?

Harris would help get minorities and women to the polls. At Biden's age, it wouldn't just be a pro forma, honorific position. Srsly, he could die. He's looking a little frazzled, imo. We can't just depend on Dump to give people something to vote against. We need to give the people, all of the people, something to vote for, as well. Let's not fool ourselves, race is a factor, perhaps more so than gender. If any other of the remaining candidates catches fire, Harris might be a good fit as well. In the last election, I was more enthusiastic to be voting for a female, the gender, rather than a female, Hillary in particular.
Crumb (12-05-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-05-2019), Stephen Maturin (12-05-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 12:38 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Fuck the old white guy altogether. Warren/Harris would mean that a reasonably qualified person would be in place from day one.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-06-2019), Crumb (12-06-2019), JoeP (12-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-06-2019), slimshady2357 (12-06-2019), SR71 (12-06-2019), The Man (12-06-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 02:33 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sanders: report
Quote:
President Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Politico reported Tuesday.

The former president reportedly said if Sanders held a strong lead in the Democratic primary, he would speak out to prevent him from becoming the nominee.
The centrists generally fear and hate the left more than they hate Donald Trump. They moralize about how you better vote for any fucking vile serpent over Trump no questions asked, but watch as centrists find excuses to split and block THE candidate with:
The most individual donors- over four million and heading soon to five.
The most volunteers- over 1.3 million on the ground.
The largest youth vote of all the candidates.
The most dedicated base- Look y'all, peeps aren't in this to vote for more of the same ideas that got us where we are now- some of the top professions of donors to the campaign is server, teacher, Walmart employee, Target employee, Amazon warehouse employee- many of these are people of color, immigrants, single moms, renters, students. Working class as fuck and tired of the same bullshit.

Sanders is old- and I give no fucks because he's active and on point.
I don't care about the concern trolling regarding the heart attack, stop with the bullshit.
He's certainly White- Jewish immigrant parents in Brooklyn in the 1960's "White"- but if race is your deciding factor I hope a whole shit ton of other factors were equal before you got there.
He's real. He's really fighting and has a plan, despite MSNBC's Bernie blindness.
He was fighting for workers constantly during his campaign.

Real talk. It's down to Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg with a Yang dark horse.

Buttigieg is pure corporate evil. He is the closest to a CIA agent president you will ever get and the only good thing about him is siphoning votes away from Warren.
Warren is compromised and the compromise candidate now, and the billionaire class and Centrist Dems can't even stomach that.
Biden is the Centrist's problematic standard-bearer, with incredibly soft support but support nonetheless.
Yang is a breath of fresh air and politicians should take note of his successes where others have failed, despite getting some of the least air time of any candidate in debates.
They all suck.

Bernie Sanders wants to fight climate extinction. Bernie Sanders wants a Green New Deal. He wants Medicare for All. He wants college for all. Criminal Justice Reform. Housing reform. Taking on fossil fuel industry, health care industry, pharmaceutical industry. And he's building a massive grassroots coalition to pressure Congress and the Senate in particular to act on these issues- from the bottom up. His slogan is Not me, us. He marched in protests, was arrested for protesting, stood with Jesse Jackson for the Rainbow Coalition, voted against the Iraq war.

Long distance runner has a good chance to win this, even at a brokered convention.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunksmediocrites View Post
Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sanders: report
Quote:
President Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Politico reported Tuesday.

The former president reportedly said if Sanders held a strong lead in the Democratic primary, he would speak out to prevent him from becoming the nominee.
The centrists generally fear and hate the left more than they hate Donald Trump.
It's so weird how anonymous comments in Politico are all the proof chunks needs to make such strident claims.

Obama is basically going scorched earth against Sanders in his mind, despite the fact that he actually hasn't done anything.

Is it possible that Obama is just shit-talking and doesn't really plan on doing anything? Nope. Is it possible his aide is just shit-talking and Obama doesn't want to comment on it all that forcefully because while he doesn't plan on doing that, he doesn't favor Sanders and doesn't want to boost him? Nope. It's definitely true that Obama 100% intends to go all out against Sanders if he takes the lead.

On the other hand, maybe Obama does intend to endorse Joe Biden if it looks like Sanders is a threat to beat him, and it's down to those two. In which case: who fucking cares. Acting like it's a conspiracy for the ex-president to endorse. If all it means is "I will endorse his opponent if I approve of that person and I think it'll stop Bernie" then who gives a shit. It's not like you'd be mad at Bernie Sanders dropped out and then he endorsed the person he thought would be a better nominee and/or president. But it's gonna be treated as if it's some kind of scandal. Or that disagreement means that Obama hates progressives more than Trump, it can't possibly be that he sincerely disagrees with your assessment of Bernie's electoral and political strengths.
Quote:
Sanders is old- and I give no fucks because he's active and on point.
I don't care about the concern trolling regarding the heart attack, stop with the bullshit.
Meanwhile, it's concern trolling to suggest that a 78-year-old man who had a heart attack might not last an election year and a full term of one of the most stressful* jobs out there.

I'm sorry, but 78-year-olds who have heart attacks simply don't have the best life expectancy and it's not bullshit to consider it. It really does mean you'd be taking a risk that he'll die in office, or even before the election (not a huge deal if it's during the primaries, but a bit of a problem if it's after the convention). Just being 78 years old without accounting for the heart attack means there's like a 30% chance he'll die or have Alzheimer's or the like by 2024. 78 is really old!

*Stressful for people who actually give a shit about it, which Bernie would. It may be a bit less stressful for Donald Trump!
Quote:
MSNBC's Bernie blindness.

Quote:
Real talk. It's down to Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg with a Yang dark horse.
Klobuchar has a better chance than Yang tbh.
Quote:
Buttigieg is pure corporate evil. He is the closest to a CIA agent president you will ever get and the only good thing about him is siphoning votes away from Warren.
If it comes down to whether chunks would rather have one of the two most left candidates (Sanders and Warren) or rather increase the chances of getting Biden and Buttigieg as long as it increases the chance of Sanders, I believe this answers the question pretty clearly.

And I don't like Buttigieg but that description is ludicrous.

(That is, he prefers a scenario where, say, Sanders has a 20% chance and Warren has a 10% chance, over one in which Warren has a 35% chance and Sanders merely a 10% chance.)
Quote:
Warren is compromised and the compromise candidate now, and the billionaire class and Centrist Dems can't even stomach that.
:rolleyes: It was always just a matter of time before the Bernie cultists would declare that she was a witch, wasn't it.
Quote:
Biden is the Centrist's problematic standard-bearer, with incredibly soft support but support nonetheless.
The polls suggest that more of Biden's supporters have made their mind up, actually. It's not incredibly soft support. Maybe delusionally thinking that Biden leading the polls all year, still leading the polls now, leading Sanders by a massive amount among black voters who apparently will easily be peeled off by a win in lily-white Iowa, etc. doesn't actually mean he has a better chance than Sanders is why chunks thinks Warren losing vote share while Buttigieg gains is somehow good for the left. He doesn't think Biden is at all hard to beat.
Quote:
Yang is a breath of fresh air and politicians should take note of his successes where others have failed, despite getting some of the least air time of any candidate in debates.
Yang also thinks there should be no minimum wage, doesn't support single payer and wants people receiving certain public benefits to forgo them in order to receive the UBI. In other words, someone middle class would get a free and clear $1000/month, while someone receiving TANF and food stamps would have to give those up in order to get the $1000, meaning they effectively get less money.

UBI has some support among libertarians precisely because they think it can be used to dismantle public programs in exactly this sort of way. I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea depending on the implementation, but it's certainly interesting that Yang is the only one he has anything nice to say about aside from Sanders. Warren is compromised so he's glad that evil corporate CIA vampire Pete Buttigieg is rising. But libertarian-curious Yang who doesn't support single payer at all gets called a breath of fresh air.

The political expert who just cares about progress not personalities, folks.
Quote:
They all suck.
Yeah, Warren was good for years with you people until she appeared to be a threat to take down Bernie. Now she sucks.
Quote:
And he's building a massive grassroots coalition to pressure Congress and the Senate in particular to act on these issues- from the bottom up.
Yeah, this is the delusional shit where you think that Joe Manchin is afraid of Bernie Sanders because Bernie won a primary there by 20%, ignoring the fact that West Virginians hated Hillary and Manchin won a primary against a progressive by 40 pts.
Quote:
His slogan is Not me, us.
The circular cult reasoning I hear around this is ridiculous.

If it's "not Bernie, us" then why is it so supremely important that it be him? Why does it seem like your argument is "Without Bernie, nothing"? You keep on repeating that slogan like it isn't blatantly obvious that you don't believe it, which is why you think it can only be him. Or maybe you're just like the woman in this scene...

Quote:
He marched in protests, was arrested for protesting
Yeah yeah, we know. At the She the People forum, he was asked about white supremacist violence and he gave his spiel about raising the minimum wage and Medicare for All. When it was pointed out that the question was about white supremacist violence, he repeats yet again that he marched with MLK. You can hear audible groans from the audience. This is why Biden's strong lead with black voters is a problem for Sanders. Because if that's his approach to peel them off, I don't think they're going anywhere.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (12-26-2019), The Man (12-11-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 07:55 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

December Democratic Debate Transcript: Sixth Debate from Los Angeles
Breakdown of speaking time for each candidate plus what they used their time to discuss from the NYT here. Sanders had the most, Yang the least.
I watched most of this debate, which with seven candidates on the stage which was a little more coherent and focused. More mentions of climate change. A few pointed interactions.

Biden was relatively coherent and didn't hurt himself, which means as the frontrunner he had a decent debate.
Sanders did well and made an intersectional argument for climate change and racial justice, negged Buttigieg and Biden for their billionaire support, and said his vote for the Afghanistan war was a mistake.
Warren had a strong exchange with Buttigieg on wealthy campaign contributions- the Pete's Wine Cave discussion that Buttigieg threw back to Warren.
Klobuchar attempted to play the centrist and civility "we don't talk about those things" adult in the room; also had pointed remarks on Buttigieg's lack of political experience and hard loss of his only statewide political effort. The pundits want her to surge and be more popular really bad but so far that traction is not appearing.
Buttigieg took some hits this debate and fought back effectively but lost this one IMO.
Steyer spoke and managed to increase his favorability rating according to polling after the debate. He had the second least speaking time (Yang as usual got the least).
Yang again did well with his unorthodox style and nailed his main talking points.

Morning consult based on Dec 20-22 polling:
31% Biden
21% Sanders
15% Warren
9% Buttigieg
6% Bloomberg
5% Yang

Yang eclipsed Buttigieg in his "net favorability score" after the debate, according to Newsweek.

Bloomberg has been in the news, using prison labor to make 2020 calls for his campaign.
Quote:
FORMER NEW YORK CITY mayor and multibillionaire Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg used prison labor to make campaign calls. Through a third-party vendor, the Mike Bloomberg 2020 campaign contracted New Jersey-based call center company ProCom, which runs calls centers in New Jersey and Oklahoma. Two of the call centers in Oklahoma are operated out of state prisons. In at least one of the two prisons, incarcerated people were contracted to make calls on behalf of the Bloomberg campaign.
Seems legit.

"Bernie might win!" stories are starting to trickle into the news. Memo to the media and centrists: whether via blindness or articles couched in disbelief, please keep underestimating the Sanders campaign and base of support. Sanders drafting behind the political punching bag of the week is fine with me.
Democratic insiders: Bernie could win the nomination
Quote:
Democratic insiders said they are rethinking Sanders’ bid for a few reasons: First, Warren has recently fallen in national and early state surveys. Second, Sanders has withstood the ups and downs of the primary, including a heart attack. At the same time, other candidates with once-high expectations, such as Kamala Harris, Cory Booker and Beto O’Rourke, have dropped out or languished in single digits in the polls.

“I believe people should take him very seriously. He has a very good shot of winning Iowa, a very good shot of winning New Hampshire, and other than Joe Biden, the best shot of winning Nevada,” said Dan Pfeiffer, who served as an adviser to former President Barack Obama. “He could build a real head of steam heading into South Carolina and Super Tuesday.”
It's Politico, and it's Dan Pfeiffer of Pod Save America: ugh. But an interesting article nonetheless.
Quote:
Many moderate Democrats still dismiss Sanders’ candidacy. They believe his so-called ceiling remains intact and that Warren will depress any room for growth he might otherwise have.

“He can’t win the nomination,” said Matt Bennett, co-founder of the center-left group Third Way, adding that Sanders’ uptick is simply him “bouncing around between his ceiling and his floor a little bit more than people had thought he would.”
That's the bet. Now the media and the Third Way Centrists have to figure out if Bernie Blackout is the tactic or to switch to media attention to surge and drop; only his base isn't going anywhere.

Warren making some inroads with Obama peeps and getting some tangential support from Obama to the donor class:
Quote:
Last week, more than 200 lower- and mid-level Obama staffers who worked on his presidential campaigns and in his administration threw their support behind Warren.

The endorsements came at a pivotal time for the campaign with less than 70 days left until the Iowa caucuses and as candidates like Biden and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) seek to win over the Obama coalition.

To date, Warren has been unable to secure more senior-level Obama veterans. That support from the highest levels — including former Secretary of State John Kerry and former Treasury Secretary Jack Lew — has gone to Biden.
On to 2020 and February just around the corner. Still a lot of time for things to change but this coming year is going to be interesting as fuck.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Still a lot of time for things to change but this coming year is going to be interesting as fuck.
"May you live in :openquote: interesting :closequote: times," indeed.
chunksmediocrites (12-26-2019), SR71 (12-26-2019), Stephen Maturin (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Julian Castro is out.

No particular reason given, but he's generally near the bottom of the polls.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (01-02-2020), SR71 (01-02-2020), Stephen Maturin (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 07:02 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Bernie Sanders raised more than $34.5 million in blowout fourth quarter, campaign says
Bernie Sanders: $34.5 million in the fourth quarter, 1.8 million contributions with an average of $18.
Quote:
Sanders’ campaign has seen a torrent of fundraising dollars from an army of individual donors. On Wednesday, it said it had received contributions from 5 million people during the election cycle.

The fundraising haul at the end of the year follows a $25.3 million intake from individual donors in the third quarter.

For the final three months of the year, Sanders donors most often listed their occupation as “teacher.” The five most common employers of people who contributed to the campaign were Amazon, Starbucks, Walmart, the U.S. Postal Service and Target.
Pete Buttigieg raised a huge $24.7 million in the fourth quarter, campaign says
Pete Buttigieg: $24.7 million in the fourth quarter, average donation $33. The linked article mentions his list of 113 bundlers who raised over $25,000 for his campaign: people who work in hedge funds, private equity, Wall Street, Hollywood.
Andrew Yang raises $16.5 million in fourth quarter
Andrew Yang: $16.5 million in the fourth quarter, raising $1.3 million of that Dec 31st.
Elizabeth Warren hasn't released final numbers but December 27 in a message to supporters told them they were at a little over $17 million with a goal of $20 million.
Joe Biden raises $22.7 million in the fourth quarter, lagging Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg
Joe Biden raised $22.7 million, his best quarter yet and he picked up two Wall Street Democratic bundlers from Kamala Harris' campaign.
Amy Klobuchar no numbers reported yet.
Cory Booker no numbers reported but he did have a fundraising boost when Harris dropped out.

Next Debate: Iowa at Drake University, in Des Moines on Tuesday, January 14th.
Quote:
As of Wednesday, five candidates have qualified to participate in January’s debate – former Vice President Joe Biden, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
Booker and Yang both qualified for donors but not polling and Yang's protest to the DNC on more polling was denied.

Iowa caucus February 3 here it comes

Last edited by chunksmediocrites; 01-02-2020 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Biden numbers released as of an hour ago
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-02-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-02-2020), SR71 (01-02-2020), Stephen Maturin (01-02-2020), The Man (01-03-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 05:33 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Elizabeth Warren’s fourth-quarter total is $21.2 million, her campaign says
This is lower than her third quarter donations.
Klobuchar posts personal-best $11.4 million fundraising quarter
Cory Booker's campaign says it raised $6.6 million in Q4
Klobuchar and Booker are both averaging 3% in the Morning Consult primary states; Warren at 14%.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:33 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Marianne Williamson has dropped out :tremble::tremble::tremble:

HOW ARE WE GOING TO GET THIS GOLDEN AGE LAUNCHED INTO ITS PROPER ORBIT BY 1980 NOW
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (01-10-2020), Qingdai (01-13-2020), Sock Puppet (01-10-2020), SR71 (01-10-2020), Stephen Maturin (01-10-2020), Stormlight (01-13-2020), The Lone Ranger (01-10-2020), The Man (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Fear not, Chuck. Love will still prevail. And I have little doubt that Marianne will use her increased profile an anti-vaxx celebrity and woo purveyor to fleece dipshits more successfully than ever before, a completely, totally, 100% unintended consequence of her campaign.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (01-10-2020), Qingdai (01-13-2020), SR71 (01-11-2020), Stormlight (01-13-2020), The Lone Ranger (01-10-2020), The Man (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 03:37 AM

Steyer is catching some lift. :hmmm:
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Recent polls in
Iowa
Nevada
California
South Carolina

Sunrise Movement endorses Bernie Sanders for President
That's about 10,000 young people.

Julian Castro endorses Elizabeth Warren The Veep position has been rumored.

Biden surrogate Kerry accuses Sanders of distorting Biden's Iraq War vote... Sanders is pushing hard on Biden's Iraq war vote and Kerry is pushing the narrative that Biden has more foreign policy experience than Sanders and blamed the outcome of the Iraq war vote on Bush- Kerry's argument is essentially, "We were bamboozled! Who could have predicted this outcome?"

Seven-term Iowan Democrat Dave Loebsack endorses Buttigieg
Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Cory Booker drops out of the race.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...-race-n1114426
Old 01-16-2020, 03:59 AM

Quote:
So Democrat Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia stated that if Bernie Sanders gets the nomination, he will not back his candidacy and further won't vote for him. He said this in an interview, at length, on FOX News. I'll hold my breath while the outrage at this person is commenced.
:holdbreath:
...Certainly they are betrayers, giving Trump their vote? In a state that Bernie Sanders won every single county versus Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic primary?
So today there was a poll of West Virginia that went up on 538's list of polls.

So yeah, Bernie won every county in the primary. So what? They would vote for Trump over Bernie by 37 pts (Biden does slightly better... losing by 35 pts). Because this talking point that Bernie could win WV, or somehow would have more juice in WV than Joe Manchin (despite, you know, Manchin also winning every county in his last primary there, but by much larger margins), was always completely delusional.

Now, this is a sponsored poll by a right-leaning organization. So you can give Bernie a few bonus points, maybe, but given that it's in line with what you'd expect for WV and that 37 pts is just a teensy bit outside the margin of error... Yeah, Bernie will lose WV, just like every other Democrat.

Last edited by erimir; 01-16-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (01-16-2020), The Man (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

I watched the seventh Democratic debate last night- 20 days away from Iowa caucus.
Some common takeaways I'm seeing and agree with:

Biden came out without having to be accountable at all for his Iraq War vote, and his foreign policy stance of continued troops in Syria and other countries and justification belies the fact that the reason those regions are destabilized and war torn and under continual strife is the war after war after war after war after war in the Middle East that we are undertaking directly, financing, selling arms to, or giving cover on the UN Security Council to these proxies.

Warren burned a bridge; let's see how that identity politics strategy works out for her.

Speaking of things I think Biden also got a pass for- the guy who publicly talks down to women, when not actively nuzzling and sniffing them, the guy who maybe owes Anita Hill a real apology- the guy who said sexism was an issue with Hillary Clinton and you won't have to worry about that with me- that guy named Joe Biden had a real good night.

CNN commentators painfully biased; it's embarrassing for them. The audience actually gasped/laughed at how painfully obvious the framing was in a few instances- just the furthest from journalism. Again Sanders the focus of super slanted framing. "Ali Khamenei the Supreme Leader of Iran likes orange juice. You also like orange juice. How long have you been a monster?" Even Morning Joe commented on the blatant anti-Bernie spin from CNN.

Sander's base appears pretty unfazed by the assertions by Warren and her campaign, it was their best fundraising hour during all the debates to date.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Bernie always knew he would have to out-organize the rest of the field. Now is when the ground game and the field operation is going to shine. I know we all live in bubbles but I personally know a half-dozen people here in Oregon travelling to swing states to canvass for Bernie- spending a week or more in the states specifically to knock doors for Bernie; none of them are even in the official campaign; college students to people in their sixties, half of them women, most bilingual. This state is 4 million in a nation of 330 million. When Bernie says not me, us- the over 1.3 million volunteers on the ground are here and phone-banking, canvassing- talking to their community and coworkers, stepping up to win this. This is the most important election in my life because we don't have decades- we don't have the luxury of someday fighting for a future worth having. It's now, and it's us.

Some will say the supporters of Bernie are intransigent and are legit worried that they will not support or vote for most other candidates. Why? Because they state the highest goal is to defeat Trump, and by not pivoting to the centrist Democrat candidate they are ceding Trump the victory. As Matt Breunig has pointed out, if you believe this, then you have a moral imperative to vote for Bernie Sanders, because you just identified a key voting bloc that is non-transferable; therefore you should rally around that candidate.

Most popular with youth? With LatinX? Bernie. Do you want Medicare for All? Do you want college debt wiped out? Marijuana arrest records expunged and marijuana de-scheduled AND kept out of the hands of big tobacco? Do you want a Green New Deal? Economic rights? I do. Are we fighting for scraps or are we fighting for a better world? Who has fire and clarity and has fought his entire adult life for working class people? Bernie. Who wants an administration that legitimately supports unions and worker rights? I do, and I hope you do as well.

This is the most important political decision of my lifetime that the country will be making, because we can for the first time in my lifetime have a real progressive candidate that can change the course of the US empire and help make this world better, by organizing and bringing our atomized culture back together, where we fight together for a world that isn't hell for a massive underclass struggling for justice in the harder versions of climate extinction. I want a future for everyone. I'll fight for those things whether Bernie wins or loses. Now we'll see if organization beats the ratfucking attempts to come as the Hillary and Obama spheres flex. Biden still favored to win but here's where we find out if that support is soft or solid. Seen any Biden stickers? Know anyone who's excited about Biden?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Warren burned a bridge; let's see how that identity politics strategy works out for her.
Of course being a straight white guy it's easy enough to use the label "identity politics" as an attack. Being straight and white and a man isn't really an identity, after all. Or it's not what people mean they say that.

The fact that so many people are worried a woman can't win (regardless of what Bernie did or didn't say) isn't related to identity politics though. But pointing out that someone said something a bit sexist is identity politics. Might as well be saying "I'm a woman, vote for me!" which Bernie, strangely, thinks is a pitch that women candidates make a lot. Why he thinks anyone's making that pitch, I don't know. It seems to me that women usually run on as many policies as men do.
Quote:
Most popular with youth? With LatinX? Bernie.
Oh look, all of a sudden explicit identity politics appeals are useful! Of course, you're not going to say most popular with black voters, because that's far and away Biden. That's not swaying you to his side. And it's blatant that you wouldn't care if Hispanic voters were supporting Biden by similar margins, just as you didn't care when it was Hillary in 2016 who had more support with both black and Hispanic voters. It's not really a great talking point when we already know you don't actually believe that's a reason to support a candidate.

And, at any rate, it's not even clearly true. Not that, as we saw with your ludicrous claims about WV, you're all that concerned about accuracy in this sort of thing. At least, in YouGov's polling Biden has been consistently higher than Bernie with Hispanics, although sure, Bernie isn't doing poorly. But as I said, you don't actually believe this point so what does it matter.
Quote:
Speaking of things I think Biden also got a pass [...] that guy named Joe Biden had a real good night.
I agree there. Bernie let him off the hook. So did Warren.

Hell, Buttigieg and Klobuchar need to be careful since they want his voters not to hate them, but they still need him to falter, and they let him off the hook too. Maybe it wouldn't work, but I kinda figure an indirect way for them to go at it would be to point out that Bernie's a frickin' 78-year-old heart attack victim and it would be very bad if he had more health problems after he's the nominee. It's not exactly a stretch to notice that Biden's almost as old and doesn't exactly come off as the most vigorous himself.
Quote:
Even Morning Joe commented on the blatant anti-Bernie spin from CNN.
Yeah and Trump said he believes Bernie too. Even the supposed leftists fall into "even the Republican"/"both sides are saying it so it must be true" heuristics. The real answer is that nobody should much care what Joe Scarborough thinks in general.
Quote:
Sander's base appears pretty unfazed by the assertions by Warren and her campaign, it was their best fundraising hour during all the debates to date.
It was also Warren's :shrug:

Last edited by erimir; 01-16-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (01-16-2020), The Man (01-16-2020)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law