Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 10-25-2016, 05:14 PM
California Sober

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

You gotta help us! We are trying to identify this show that we watched not all that long ago, but we can't do it. bey swears it's right on the tip of his tounge, but I'm not even that close.

There's a person, I think it's a cop, and I guess he has some extreme kind of OCD. We see his home from his perspective and it looks clean, but then we see it for real (maybe he's medicated or off his meds?) and it's disgusting gross.

At one point there's a big mess he has to clean up, I think maybe a dead body? And he puts it all into little rubbermaid containers and stacks them up on the kitchen counter. Everything is gross, the containers and the walls and the counters, all covered with gore. But from his point of view, as long as the containers are all stacked up, it looks clean. That's why I'm thinking OCD.

Then finally his coworker, a lady cop or whatever, enters his house and I'm thinking "oh shit, this is it for him once she sees this mess" because somehow he's been able to hide it and live a normal life with a job and stuff.

What the fuck is this? It could have been on Netflix, Amazon Prime, cable, hulu, we don't fucking know. I wanted to say maybe True Detective, but pretty sure that's not it. But it's something along those lines, I want to say.

HALP!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM
Solipsist

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
There's a person, I think it's a cop, and I guess he has some extreme kind of OCD.
Monk?

As in:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Ensign Steve (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-26-2016), Watser? (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:26 PM
California Sober

No, way more recent and less comedic than that.

But :thanked: for the pic. :giggles:
Old 10-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

It's not Hannibal, is it? I didn't watch all of that show, but it sounds like something that could happen there.

And just because usually when I can't remember something like this, it turns out I'm either conflating different things or just misremembering a key element:

There is a part in The Shield where one detective discovers that his partner (?) is living in squalor, but it's not OCD or gore, and the genders are opposite what you remember.

Could it be this movie, maybe?

That sounds pretty good, though. I think I might watch that show if anyone ever figures out what it is.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
You gotta help us! We are trying to identify this show that we watched not all that long ago, but we can't do it. bey swears it's right on the tip of his tounge, but I'm not even that close.

There's a person, I think it's a cop, and I guess he has some extreme kind of OCD. We see his home from his perspective and it looks clean, but then we see it for real (maybe he's medicated or off his meds?) and it's disgusting gross.

At one point there's a big mess he has to clean up, I think maybe a dead body? And he puts it all into little rubbermaid containers and stacks them up on the kitchen counter. Everything is gross, the containers and the walls and the counters, all covered with gore. But from his point of view, as long as the containers are all stacked up, it looks clean. That's why I'm thinking OCD.

Then finally his coworker, a lady cop or whatever, enters his house and I'm thinking "oh shit, this is it for him once she sees this mess" because somehow he's been able to hide it and live a normal life with a job and stuff.

What the fuck is this? It could have been on Netflix, Amazon Prime, cable, hulu, we don't fucking know. I wanted to say maybe True Detective, but pretty sure that's not it. But it's something along those lines, I want to say.

HALP!
At first I was thinking maybe Perception? But then the stuff with the dead body and containers doesn't really fit that show... hmmm.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:36 AM
Fishy mokey

I'm watching this Australian show called The Kettering Incident. I'm in episode 6 out of 8 and still not sure if it's a crime show or science fiction. So some of both. This hematologist in London ends up in her home town in southern Tasmania and she has no idea how/why, it all happened in a blackout.

It is all connected to the disappearance of her friend 16 years earlier. Then a girl she just met after she came back disappears as well. Anyway, Tasmania is beautifull but kinda creepy in this show.

Oh, um, not on Netflix though...
Adam (10-27-2016), Janet (11-02-2016), lisarea (10-27-2016), Stormlight (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 AM

Oh, dang. I meant to come here to recommend that. I thought it was OK, but the reasons I didn't love it are purely subjective, and I bet a lot of people would enjoy it.

It was visually really good, pretty nice and creepy, but there were some supernatural elements that I don't usually care for all that much, and either the plot wasn't as tight as I'd like or I wasn't paying close enough attention.

It's worth watching, though. I think I watched it on Amazon Prime.

The Lava Field was OK, too, and very similar in tone. I actually quit watching that once it became obvious it was going in directions I am not inclined toward.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Fishy mokey

Oh yeah, I saw that too and I see your point. I love shows with a lot of couleur locale though, so I enjoyed it.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM

And I realize now that I apparently mashed up The Lava Field and Fortitude in my head somehow.

Fortitude was the main one I was thinking of that started going way too supernatural, but it's set in the Arctic, and visually, it's pretty great. I stopped watching that one too, but if you're OK with the supernatural parts, you might like it.

I was looking around for some Nordic or British noir shows to watch a while back, but I'm always disappointed when I'm watching some crime show and then there's a monster or some spooky magic stuff or whatever, so I gave up trying to find new ones. It just happened way too often.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-27-2016), Dingfod (11-01-2016), Watser? (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 06:32 PM
Fishy mokey

Yeah, I saw this Swedish show called Jordskott, Jordskott (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb, which was too supernatural to my taste.

There's an Icelandic show called Trapped http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3561180/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 which was really good though. Straight up detective show.
Dingfod (11-01-2016), lisarea (10-27-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Fishy mokey

On Netflix here, not necessarily on yours, there's a British show called Misfits, which has five young offenders who are doing community service turn into superheroes. One of them has a pretty unusual power: if she touches anyone they immediately want to have sex with them (and tell here that in great detail :blank: ). So it's part comedy, part serious and it does come up with some interesting ideas. Like one guy's power is to be able to take someone's power away and give (sell) it to someone else. Which means they get different powers, with all kinds of consequences that are pretty well thought out.

I'm not usually a fan of superheroes/super powers but this is fun.
beyelzu (02-15-2017), Dingfod (11-03-2016), Janet (11-02-2016), Stormlight (11-04-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Quote:

HALP!
I'm not going to even check if someone answered this yet because I literally just watched it on Sunday. Where you're going wrong it he's a serial killer, not a detective. It's called The Voices and stars Ryan Reynolds. It is the blackest of black comedies and was pretty much the perfect choice for me on Devil's Night.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-03-2016), beyelzu (02-15-2017), BrotherMan (11-03-2016), ceptimus (11-08-2016), Ensign Steve (11-03-2016), lisarea (11-03-2016), slimshady2357 (11-02-2016), Stephen Maturin (11-03-2016), Stormlight (11-04-2016), Vivisectus (11-03-2016), Watser? (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 05:27 PM
California Sober

FUCKING THANK YOU!
beyelzu (02-15-2017), Janet (11-03-2016), JoeP (11-03-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:35 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

"Dough": a feel-good movie about an aging Jewish baker (played by Jonathan Pryce) who takes on a young Muslim apprentice. Formulaic, but well done.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (11-11-2016), Janet (11-08-2016), Stormlight (11-08-2016), The Man (12-04-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:48 AM
A fellow sophisticate

You want to watch something really dark and depressing? As I Lay Dying, a James Franco film directed by James Franco and starring James Franco, based on the William Faulkner novel of the same name, chronicles the dirt-poor Bundren family in their odyssey to bury the dead matriarch of the family in the cemetery of the nearby town of Jefferson, Mississippi, according to her dying wish. Tim Blake Nelson stars as the patriarch Anse Bundren. The story was bleak, the movie conveys that well. Sad. Hopeless. Despair. And that's just what I'm feeling right now. A good movie to improve your attitude about your lot in life.
Janet (12-07-2016), JoeP (11-25-2016), lisarea (11-25-2016), Sock Puppet (11-25-2016), Stormlight (11-25-2016), The Man (12-04-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 09:57 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Quote:

HALP!
I'm not going to even check if someone answered this yet because I literally just watched it on Sunday. Where you're going wrong it he's a serial killer, not a detective. It's called The Voices and stars Ryan Reynolds. It is the blackest of black comedies and was pretty much the perfect choice for me on Devil's Night.
I watched this yesterday thanks to you two and of course Ryan Reynolds and Anna Kendrick - duh!

I enjoyed it especially
Old 11-27-2016, 08:06 PM

I watched Rams on Netflix last night, and it was pretty good. It's an Icelandic comedy about two elderly sheep farmer brothers who haven't spoken to each other in 40 years. It is kind of grim in parts, and it's not a rollicking LOL type of comedy or anything. Maybe you'd call it charming or something like that.

And it has some nudity. I know you people like that sort of thing.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-27-2016), Ensign Steve (11-28-2016), Janet (12-07-2016), JoeP (11-27-2016), The Man (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 04:40 AM

"Nuhr in Berlin" is the very first stand-up comedy video filmed in Germany for Netflix. Interesting. Not as much laughing as you'd see from an American audience. And if a joke was particularly good, they clapped more than they laughed.

My son and I didn't finish it. Some of his material just wasn't funny.

Last edited by ShottleBop; 12-04-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-04-2016), Stormlight (12-07-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShottleBop View Post
Some of his material just wasn't funny.
You probably have to be German to find it funny. To realise that not being funny is funny.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Janet (12-07-2016), Stormlight (12-07-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Some of his material just wasn't funny.
You probably have to be German to find it funny. To realise that not being funny is funny.
For some of it, maybe--a lot of it played off of the differences between German socieity and American society. Some of it would fall flat in any language (paraphrasing): Africans invented the upright gait. That was the last great invention to come from Africa. (Later, he added "fire" to the list.)

He mixed in some woke stuff about refugees with some downright in-a-coma material about the introduction of gender-neutral terminology.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-04-2016), Stormlight (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 PM
California Sober

Reggie Watts: Spatial · Comedy Review Reggie Watts is typically weird and wonderful in the deceptively chaotic Spatial · Comedy Special Review · The A.V. Club

I have not seen this cuz I didn't know it was a thing until just now, but I'm gonna watch it posthaste. :eager:
beyelzu (12-07-2016), Janet (12-07-2016), Watser? (12-06-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:17 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Do yourself an enormous favor. First chance you get, eat a big ol pot brownie and watch this shit. :gah:

You need chaotic good in your life.
beyelzu (12-07-2016), BrotherMan (12-07-2016), Janet (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:57 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I'm watching shitty Australian Archer aka Pacific Heat.

It's not too terrible, just much dumber than archer. It's funny and even funnier if you quote Archer back at some of the setups. :)
Ensign Steve (12-07-2016), Janet (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
"Nuhr in Berlin" is the very first stand-up comedy video filmed in Germany for Netflix. Interesting. Not as much laughing as you'd see from an American audience. And if a joke was particularly good, they clapped more than they laughed.

My son and I didn't finish it. Some of his material just wasn't funny.
None of his material is funny.

ETA: There aren't many German stand up comics, really. Which is just as well if you ask me.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 PM

"They Are Everywhere": a French movie in which a story about Jewish filmmaker talking to his shrink about being Jewish frames several short-story-like vignettes (one about the head of a neo-Nazi political party whose grandmother turns out to be Jewish; one about a poor Jew who decides to give up the religion if he can't be rich, like all the other Jews; one set in a Yeshiva, with two students discussing whether, if two chimney sweeps exit a chimney--one black with soot, and one not--which one of them washes himself; one in which the Mossad invents a time machine and sends back their best assassin to kill baby Jesus (he can't, but ends up being taken for the Messiah, and now the world prays to Norbert); one about redheads, blonds, and other minorities each getting their own identity movement; one one in which the French government decides that, because Jews are all rich and help each other, the solution to France's intractable economic and social issues is for everyone to become Jewish (they hold a referendum; 98% of the eligible voting population does, and "Oui" wins 68% to 32%)).

Some really entertaining material, here. Two thumbs up!
Thanks, from:
Janet (12-13-2016), JoeP (12-11-2016), lisarea (12-10-2016), The Man (12-31-2016), Watser? (12-10-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature