Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: Mafia Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
There is nothing stopping a false claim, I have done it on more than one occasion myself.
Quote:
I am a good special, I am a roleblocker. I can pick one person a night and keep them from performing their night action. Interestingly, Im not a prostitute, though thats how I think of the role.
:chin:

If you're not a prostitute, then what are you?

Despite giving him the stink eye here, I'm not quite ready to lynch bey. I like to push for a near lynch on day 1, too, so that part doesn't really bother me, but the self-contradiction in explaining his actions do.

Demi's slip was the first thing I flagged when reading her post but, honestly, I've been operating under the assumption that there are probably three scum, too. On the other hand, her "three? i never said three!" response was strange.

ES has been making a number of arguments that sound good, but aren't quite right and, as she is an experienced player, that sets my scumdar off. She's probably my top suspect at the moment.

Gonzo, seriously, are you there? You're either a useless silent townie, or else you're scum flying under the radar. Either way, my vote stays on you for the tim ebeing.
yep. i could be lying. and i would probably claim something regardless.

as to what i am. its just roleblocker. i dont know why he didnt give me a fancy title.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Liv,

I think you were helping the newb mafia with her obvious fuck up. You are my top suspect besdies demi of course.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
California Sober

I don't understand how a role-blocker is a "good" special. I can understand if the live body counts towards the town's live body count, but what can they block? A doctor heal? A cop view? Can they block a mafia kill? It seems like there probably more good roles to block than bad ones. That's more a question of game setup, though. I'm not familiar with the prostitute role. It seems like a person that would count as a town member but still be kind of bad for the town.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

unvote

I'm not sure if I should put my vote back on Gonzo or not. You may be right about him liv. I wish he would pipe up. He is useless either way.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I think bey meant "good" as in on the townie side.
beyelzu (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM
California Sober

Right, but how? Because he counts as town? That's valid. But how is a role-blocker good for the town? I'm asking in a meta game sense. I don't understand the role at all.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Liv,

I think you were helping the newb mafia with her obvious fuck up. You are my top suspect besdies demi of course.
Thass cool. Your aim hasn't been exactly steady so far. ;)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

That's why I asked for more detail. How does this this purported role blocking work and in what sense is it good for the town?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM

According to the Wiki, a pro-town roleblocker can stop a Mafia kill if he picks the one mafioso designated to do the murder. That's just one possibility, though; the GM can set it up however he wants.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-04-2010), Ensign Steve (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

Let me state my case. I have not intended to show little interest at all. It was just that while over the course of my leave I have been very busy with education/ sickness/ and personal matters concerning the destruction of a friend's home by way of fire.

But that said, it does not mean I have not been watching, gauging activity and conversation over the course of time. I have posted in other threads, but only very quickly as I have only had time to pop in now and then. The current trend of accusation causes me to unvote until further notice. Soon I will notify you on my decision. I had only voted for deadlok as they were the first to show cause for suspision.

I have to hurry along to attend a class, but I am watching.

:thanked:
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
According to the Wiki, a pro-town roleblocker can stop a Mafia kill if he picks the one mafioso designated to do the murder. That's just one possibility, though; the GM can set it up however he wants.
Might it also suggest that we have scum with other roles? :chin:
Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I don't understand how a role-blocker is a "good" special. I can understand if the live body counts towards the town's live body count, but what can they block? A doctor heal? A cop view? Can they block a mafia kill? It seems like there probably more good roles to block than bad ones. That's more a question of game setup, though. I'm not familiar with the prostitute role. It seems like a person that would count as a town member but still be kind of bad for the town.
When I have seen good roleblockers in the past, the mafia had abilities, like one mafia actually made the kill, or perhaps could fuck up the cops view.

and there could also be a bad roleblocker as well
Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
Might it also suggest that we have scum with other roles? :chin:
Yep, that seems likely
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Quote:
Quote:
It is baffling to me that I am at n-1 and I am also the only one voting for demi, who seemed to know the number of mafia and then denied using the number.
Halo effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... it has served me well in past games.

Anybody who says they've never heard of giving a good special a chance to claim before getting lynched is either lying scum or stupid noob.

unvote. vote: Demimonde
When I first voted for bey, it was to apply some pressure to hear his reasons why he put Deadlokd at the brink. At the time, I got the impression you thought that was a bit hasty too. There were already four votes for him, and several others calling for him to explain, including myself. A lot of pressure there, but before Deadlokd had a chance to respond bey nudged him even closer to the brink into the hammer zone. I just wanted to know why. That may be the way he plays, I don't know about that, but it seemed odd to me. Then bey answered:

Quote:
I think I will go ahead and answer my thought process. i took him to the brink because that is what brings a claim. I cautioned against the hammer because there are some new players.
That isn't just giving someone the chance to claim. He said he took him there to bring a claim. Which is odd.

Anyhow, this stream of thought that bringing a person to L-1 is the only way to get them to react and start talking seems flawed to me in a strategic sense. Especially given the risk. Again, if that is common in mafia I haven't been made aware of it. I mean, with my vote added to liv's stale vote from page one, I got bey to talk quite a bit. I was quite surprised at the reaction actually. It was kinda OMGUS with a lot of finger pointing later on. Which is why I was hoping for some more experienced players to read him on it. My goal was to just keep him talking and see what came out.

I don't know anything about this roleblocking role, so I'm going to have to read up on that. I will say I figured he would claim something by morning based on his own arguments. As he is out of the danger zone for now, and he is still my number one suspect, I'll leave my vote where it is for now.

As far as the stupid three comment, again I can only say that was pure newbie dumassedness. From the time of the sign up thread, to the start of this one, I only had time to read two threads and a bunch of wikis. The only games I read had three scum, and I guess I had that operating in the back of my mind. So much so that when bey asked me about it, I didn't realize I had been doing it. I'm glad that others have had that going on in their heads too, only so I'm not alone. But it is a dangerous assumption and I am sorry I said it because it opened the door to let scum make a case against me. Which endangers town. It was a dumb move.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM

You are welcome to lynch me, but dem, you will follow me to the gallows. I am exactly what I have said I am.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM

That's all the info you have bey? You count as town and you can block one person per night from acting?

If we're going to not lynch bey (and that's not decided yet) we might also want to think about who we ask him to block on night one.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It is baffling to me that I am at n-1 and I am also the only one voting for demi, who seemed to know the number of mafia and then denied using the number.
Halo effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... it has served me well in past games.

Anybody who says they've never heard of giving a good special a chance to claim before getting lynched is either lying scum or stupid noob.

unvote. vote: Demimonde
When I first voted for bey, it was to apply some pressure to hear his reasons why he put Deadlokd at the brink. At the time, I got the impression you thought that was a bit hasty too. There were already four votes for him, and several others calling for him to explain, including myself. A lot of pressure there, but before Deadlokd had a chance to respond bey nudged him even closer to the brink into the hammer zone. I just wanted to know why. That may be the way he plays, I don't know about that, but it seemed odd to me. Then bey answered:

Quote:
I think I will go ahead and answer my thought process. i took him to the brink because that is what brings a claim. I cautioned against the hammer because there are some new players.
That isn't just giving someone the chance to claim. He said he took him there to bring a claim. Which is odd.

Anyhow, this stream of thought that bringing a person to L-1 is the only way to get them to react and start talking seems flawed to me in a strategic sense. Especially given the risk. Again, if that is common in mafia I haven't been made aware of it. I mean, with my vote added to liv's stale vote from page one, I got bey to talk quite a bit. I was quite surprised at the reaction actually. It was kinda OMGUS with a lot of finger pointing later on. Which is why I was hoping for some more experienced players to read him on it. My goal was to just keep him talking and see what came out.

I don't know anything about this roleblocking role, so I'm going to have to read up on that. I will say I figured he would claim something by morning based on his own arguments. As he is out of the danger zone for now, and he is still my number one suspect, I'll leave my vote where it is for now.

As far as the stupid three comment, again I can only say that was pure newbie dumassedness. From the time of the sign up thread, to the start of this one, I only had time to read two threads and a bunch of wikis. The only games I read had three scum, and I guess I had that operating in the back of my mind. So much so that when bey asked me about it, I didn't realize I had been doing it. I'm glad that others have had that going on in their heads too, only so I'm not alone. But it is a dangerous assumption and I am sorry I said it because it opened the door to let scum make a case against me. Which endangers town. It was a dumb move.
No. There is nothing wrong with taking someone to l-1, shit lots of people voted for deadlock. It would have been suspicious of me to lynch him without allowing for a claim. But I alread said I misspoke that I wanted him to have the option of a claim not that I was fishing for a claim.

Eventually we will lynch someone and hopefully the doc will protect me.

I know who I am roleblocking tonight :tmgrin:

To be fair I actually pmed my choice early yesterday, cuz I like to set that shit up early in case in case people are checking logins (I dont always go invisible)
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM

OK, now I'm suspicious. Early yesterday, you were concerned that people might be checking logins at some point in the future but, rather than just go invisible while you were thinking about it, you decided to lock in your night action before we had a full day's worth of information to base it on?

Who are you blocking, if i might ask?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

It would be silly for him to tell us.
Ensign Steve (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

And it honestly make me very suspicious of you, because that information would help the scum a lot if they are indeed able to specify which one of them makes the night kill.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
OK, now I'm suspicious. Early yesterday, you were concerned that people might be checking logins at some point in the future but, rather than just go invisible while you were thinking about it, you decided to lock in your night action before we had a full day's worth of information to base it on?
And then post about it thereby ensuring that any mafia could simply send someone who has not gotten into it with bey to do their dirty work. This is some seriously shitty play, if it's true. I mean Jesus, bey, you're not even at -1 anymore. Why lay out your hand like this?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Who are you blocking, if i might ask?
I guess I wasn't clear, in general for mafia games, I try to set up my actions in advance if the gm allows it, so I wont have to go invisible for those games.

and to be a little more clear, even if you are invisible if daybreak happens after you log in it can let people know that you had a night action.

well, suspect anyway.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
And then post about it thereby ensuring that any mafia could simply send someone who has not gotten into it with bey to do their dirty work. This is some seriously shitty play, if it's true. I mean Jesus, bey, you're not even at -1 anymore. Why lay out your hand like this?
I reserve the right to change.

And I find it irritating that you think so little of my play that you would think I would only target someone I got into it with. I could be targeting anybody. Also when I made my target I hadnt gotten into it with anyone anyway. I also included that I might change my mind during the course of the day.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM

I really am at a loss on how I have laid out my hand.

Anyway, who wants to lynch demi?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
And it honestly make me very suspicious of you, because that information would help the scum a lot if they are indeed able to specify which one of them makes the night kill.
I actually didn't think of that. I was thinking more about mafia specials.

I mostly suggested it to see how bey reacted to the suggestion.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum