Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 AM
Flipper 11/11

Default Re: Sam Harris: Why I am a fucking dick with goggles the size of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
You're seriously making a Biblical argument when you don't know this basic shit taught in Sunday school about what the Canaanites believed, or what their ethnicities were. (Ba'al doesn't even ring a bell?)
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does ring a bell. However, it doesn't detract at all from anything I have said. In fact I may be coming back to you on that. :yup:

Nor did the movie I saw about Abraham on TV detract from what I have said. I was already familiar with the story believe it or not, I just didn't recall the part him being at peace with his neighbors. And while watching the movie it seemed like a reasonable assessment so, that is fine be me too.

So this is the best you can come up with? :dunno:

Quote:
And then speculating on what these people you know nothing about would or wouldn't have done.
I did read the accounts in Exodus and Joshua by the way, although that was quite awhile back.

Actually I'm pretty good when it comes to speculating on things. I don't tend to draw conclusions arbitrarily, not without thinking about it first. This I think is why a majority of folks on this forum would rather not argue with me.

But hey, mark this post, and maybe we can discuss it later?

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Is this the thread where we judge entire groups based on a few individuals that we have met? :chin:
Notwithstanding, there is a general stigma attached to those who are called "Jews," which is something I've continued to hear over and over again through most of my adult life. So it's not like I've never been exposed to the idea. Thus in the case with the two people I cited above who, in my own mind I could see had sunk to the depth of depravity, it only tended to affirm this. And yes, it all centered around the fact that they were Jewish, although clearly they had other problems, whereby anyone who was a gentile was beneath them and, only there to serve them.

Oh, I also had a friend who was half-Jewish (on his father's side) and, although I was somewhat revolted by him initially (he was extremely eccentric—and, funny!), we later became the best of friends. No doubt some of it rubbed off on me. :yup: Thus between him and this other guy who was Jewish, who had become a messianic type figure (with his radio talk show program) and, a father figure to me, who was extremely funny himself, this is basically where I developed my sense of humor—or, quite a bit of it. So go figure.

Anyway it's not like I was trying to single anybody out.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 08-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

No, quite the opposite.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacchus View Post
Anyway it's not like I was trying to single anybody out.
Just by the two examples I cited, that is . . . which is to say it applies to Jews a whole. Meaning I'm not saying it does apply.

If, however, a person tends to look down his nose at people who are not Jewish, then clearly he has a problem. It's just like any other religious fundamentalist nonsense.

Last edited by Iacchus; 08-07-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

I've met a few Inuvialuit in my life and boy did they know a lot about locksmithing, which since it is a well-known stereotype that Inuvialuit are great locksmiths, really has a lot of relevance to some argument about Inuvialuit and Siglit Inuit tribal land disputes that I was opining upon a little while ago. Why don't they get along anyway? I've seen Fast Runner a couple times, so I have some expertise. Because I think about things.

My personal survey and recollection about how awesome my speculations are regarding the motivations of others leads me to further speculate that this is why others here at this forum are hesitant to offer dissenting viewpoints. Definitely not for other reasons involving spam posts that come across as manic heights, nor my retreats into magical thinking, nor my general confusion as to logical arguments.

I'm pretty sure that's it.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-07-2014), Angakuk (08-07-2014), Crumb (08-07-2014), Dingfod (08-07-2014), Janet (08-07-2014), Nullifidian (08-07-2014), Qingdai (08-08-2014), Sock Puppet (08-07-2014), Stephen Maturin (08-08-2014), Stormlight (08-07-2014), The Man (08-07-2014), Watser? (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Flipper 11/11

We all have to gauge what we know by something. And if not by first-hand experience, then what?

Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Flipper 11/11

The Man in the Glass Booth (DVD Trailer) - YouTube

It's not exactly the scene I was looking for but, it will have to do I guess? It used to be my favorite movie, although it's been eons since I've watched it.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
We all have to gauge what we know by something. And if not by first-hand experience, then what?
There are other sources of information than first-hand experience. Some of them can be quite reliable. Indeed, more reliable than severly limited first-hand experience that is woefully inadequate to the task at hand. But if you prefer to arrive at judgements on the basis of ignorance and bigotry, go for it. It has worked so well for you thus far it would be foolish to try something different.

Last edited by Angakuk; 08-07-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: beefing up the sarcasm and insult
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (08-12-2014), chunksmediocrites (08-07-2014), Janet (08-07-2014), Nullifidian (08-07-2014), Qingdai (08-08-2014), Sock Puppet (08-07-2014), Stephen Maturin (08-08-2014), The Man (08-07-2014), Watser? (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Flipper 11/11

Favorite Scenes: The Man In The Glass Booth - YouTube

Oh, here is another link. Although it's still not the scene I was looking for. It was right towards the end of the movie after Miriam had asked him if he was Jewish and he wound up in a catatonic state. It was after his long dissertation about slaughtering all the Jews and everyone was aghast and reeling on the floor.

It's a bit dated, but it's still a great movie.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
There are other sources of information than first-hand experience. Some of them can be quite reliable. Indeed, more reliable than severly limited first-hand experience that is woefully inadequate to the task at hand. But if you prefer to arrive at judgements on the basis of ignorance and bigotry, go for it. It has worked so well for you thus far it would be foolish to try something different.
It still requires one to see it for oneself, if not, then the best you can hope to do is take someone else's word for it. And no, that does not imply in any way that I have no reference materials. That is simply bogus.

Oh, I'm also the guy who claims to know God exists by means of first-hand experience or, I have made that claim on occasion. You, on the other hand, cannot do that. So yeah, in your case all you can hope to do is speculate or, as you have suggested elsewhere, it is faith-based.

Last edited by Iacchus; 08-07-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Flipper 11/11

Anyway, the fact that I'm conscious and self-aware says a lot about what I understand. In fact I think most folks should learn to utilize that. :yup:

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Hey, if you are content to limit yourself to that knowledge that is only available to your own very narrowly circumscribed body of experience, far be it from me to attempt to persuade you to do otherwise.

As for faith based knowledge, I understand and acknowledge that the experience that underpins such knowledge is, by its very nature, subjective. Something you are apparently unable or unwilling to do.

Last edited by Angakuk; 08-07-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (08-08-2014), Nullifidian (08-07-2014), The Man (08-07-2014), Watser? (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Hey, if you are content to limit yourself to that knowledge that is only available to your own very narrowly circumscribed body of experience, far be it from me to attempt to persuade to do otherwise.
No, with me it's more like garbage in and garbage out. Meaning if I don't understand what I'm looking at or, have a pretty good idea, I don't waste any time committing it to memory. In which case it has little or nothing to do with the study of knowledge. However, it does free my mind up so I can study and work with those things I actually do know, allowing me to experience and understand it more completely.

And, although I may come across as a bit dimwitted at times, yes! :yup: it doesn't change the fact that I know what I know. This is more valuable than anything to me.

Quote:
As for faith based knowledge, I understand and acknowledge that the experience that underpins such knowledge is, by its very nature, subjective. Something you are apparently unable or unwilling to do.
In other words this is just a fancy way of saying you don't know. I'm afraid that doesn't work at all.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Anyway, the fact that I'm conscious and self-aware says a lot about what I understand. In fact I think most folks should learn to utilize that. :yup:
Actually it is the spirit of knowing that I'm looking at here. And, unless you are capable of discerning it yourself, then it's really not possible to know anything. Take for example the equation, 1 + 1 = 2. How do you know it's true? If your answer is, "Well, because my teacher told me so," guess again, for you have only accepted it by rote and merely taken their word for it. So what is it that tells us 1 + 1 = 2 and allows us to acknowledge it for ourselves? Obviously something (else) must be communicating it to us. That in fact is the spirit.

And, if it's capable of teaching us 1 + 1 = 2, then it must be capable of teaching us a host of other things as well, possibly even what operates behind that spirit. That is, if we can first find a way of communicating with it more directly. However, just by understanding something is communicating with us, is a good place to start. And yeah, this is basically what opened the door in my mind, once I had discovered this.

And yes, to the degree that we become more and more intimate with the spirit of knowing, we become more intimate with our understanding of God. Because it is in fact the spirit of God speaking to us.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Flipper 11/11

This is the type of thing my messiah figure type Jew friend above used to expound on all the time.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I knew of a guy who thought God was telling him to tie his shoes. And that was after getting meds for psychosis. Before the meds God was telling him all kinds of crazy shit.
Angakuk (08-07-2014), Iacchus (08-08-2014), Watser? (10-28-2016)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Flipper 11/11

Eh, maybe it's time I should hold off for awhile, but thanks. I might be back later, but it probably won't be in this thread.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM

Iacchus probably had to go tie his shoes, or something.
Watser? (12-25-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I knew of a guy who thought God was telling him to tie his shoes. And that was after getting meds for psychosis. Before the meds God was telling him all kinds of crazy shit.
I understand what you're saying. Usually when you start hearing voices though, it's not God talking to you. That isn't to say these aren't other spirits communicating to you through the spiritual realm, however. And, if they become persistent, in terms of the crazy things they tell you to do, that's more akin to being possessed.

Of course they can pump you up with drugs to shut down the part of the brain that tunes them in and, in effect tune them out, but that typically effects a loss in motor control, and affects your ability to think clearly. It's not a pretty sight or, at least this is what I've seen. It even happened to me once.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunksmediocrites View Post
I've met a few Inuvialuit in my life and boy did they know a lot about locksmithing, which since it is a well-known stereotype that Inuvialuit are great locksmiths, really has a lot of relevance to some argument about Inuvialuit and Siglit Inuit tribal land disputes that I was opining upon a little while ago.
Like I said in the post above yours, if anyone thinks they're better than me, simply because God is on their side and they can do no wrong, it's definitely worth inquiring about. And, if it tends to line up with a certain stereotype, although I used the word "stigma," which is similar but not quite the same, then so be it. Although I don't generally care so much about stereotypes as much as the way I'm treated individually. While at the same time, if that makes me a bigot simply for bringing it up, as Angakuk seemed to suggest, I guess that will have to do.

Quote:
Why don't they get along anyway I've seen Fast Runner a couple times, so I have some expertise.
Regarding the Jews and Arabs? Apparently, according to Watser? it specifically had to do with what happened in 1948, when the Jews settled in Palestine. While I was always under the impression it was an age-old conflict that went back much further, at least since the time of Abraham. So I stand corrected, although I'm still speculating on it, for there are still a few things I'd like to verify. Wow! Can you believe I actually said that? :yup:

Oh, I was just reading something today about the Israelites invading the land of Canaan and destroying the other nations which, apparently had just about everything to do with God not wanting to mix His religion with that of Baal, because it would have been a bad influence on his people. So, it looks like I may need to redress this as well. Or, at least you won't hear me bringing it up again until I do.

Quote:
Because I think about things.
Indeed, how is it possible for anybody to think, when the entire Universe is but a mindless process? Care to give that one to go? In fact this is the whole key to our being here, and folks like you—in the name of science or, objectivity, that is—or, so you claim—seem to take the whole thing for granted. Everything is borne by means of our thought processes, before we can even begin to discuss what the brain does. And here, I said we could all be brains in a vat and no one would be able to tell the difference, which is true. In other words we can't escape our thought processes before determining anything else. Whereby this whole thing called reality stems from the mind. Though I suppose in all fairness, this is why science utilizes words such as theory but, you couldn't prove it by the way some folks act around here!

While thus far, no-one has been able to come up with a definitive reply to my question. Davidm gave it the old college try, you know, where all the academia nuts hang out :yup: but you might want to take a look at the last few posts, and ask why he and others stopped replying. It's pretty plain to me but, I guess some folks are just thick in the skull.

Quote:
My personal survey and recollection about how awesome my speculations are regarding the motivations of others leads me to further speculate that this is why others here at this forum are hesitant to offer dissenting viewpoints. Definitely not for other reasons involving spam posts that come across as manic heights, nor my retreats into magical thinking, nor my general confusion as to logical arguments.
Really? I don't see it keeping anyone from having a go at some of the others who are described this way. In fact I would deem it an opportunity just ripe for the nitpicking. Hey, look at peacegirl, how would you describe her any differently from me? Have you seen her thread? 1,603 pages long. Wow! The dogs are lined up all the way around the block on this one!

On the other hand, when I start a thread, it usually fizzles out after three or four pages at best, nor is it due to a lack of my willingness to participate. All I can figure is it must be the wrong pheromones or something?

I'm pretty sure that's it. :yup:

Last edited by Iacchus; 08-09-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Flipper 11/11

Oops! Double posting. Albeit the first post would have posted at 11:11 pm Mountain Time if it didn't get hung up. That is what I intended to reply in this post. :yup:

Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Flipper 11/11

Okay, I started a new thread, to expound on the 11:12 post time on post #95 above. Hopefully to relieve everyone from having to reply on it here.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM

Sam Harris has a tendency to make comments about things he really does not understand.
The Man (08-11-2014), Watser? (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Hey, look at peacegirl, how would you describe her any differently from me? Have you seen her thread? 1,603 pages long. Wow! The dogs are lined up all the way around the block on this one!

On the other hand, when I start a thread, it usually fizzles out after three or four pages at best, nor is it due to a lack of my willingness to participate. All I can figure is it must be the wrong pheromones or something?
peacegirl is a lying hypocrite who is either an incredibly persistent troll or is completely incapable of seriously considering even the possibility that her beliefs might be mistaken -- no matter how much lunacy she must accept and how much of reality she must deny in order to maintain that absolute faith. In either case, her shameless dishonesty and hypocrisy, her staggering ignorance, her martyr complex, and her occasional breakdowns make her an entertaining chew-toy for some.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (08-12-2014), Janet (08-12-2014), The Man (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

The honest answer is that we don't bother arguing with you because it seems very likely that you are an untreated schizophrenic and your ideas are self-evidently ridiculous to everyone else and so debunking them doesn't even serve the purpose of preventing other people from being taken in by them. It's not much fun poking at someone like that.

Or maybe that's just why I don't argue with you.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-11-2014), Angakuk (08-12-2014), beyelzu (08-12-2014), Crumb (08-11-2014), Dingfod (08-13-2014), Dragar (12-17-2014), Janet (08-12-2014), JoeP (08-11-2014), LadyShea (12-17-2014), Nullifidian (08-11-2014), Pan Narrans (08-12-2014), Sock Puppet (08-18-2014), The Lone Ranger (08-11-2014), The Man (08-11-2014), Watser? (10-28-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law