Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Science Yeah, But Will It Blend?

Alternate Unused Title Burn: lisapea's country fried juice juicing and or blending thrad

My good friend and roommate wants to be a healthier person. Most of the time this means I get to chide and mock him when he gets something unhealthy - usually fried chicken or ice cream. By some accident he fell into a paleo style diet that he wades in and out of as the mood strikes. The good news of all of this is as much as he loves his fast and fatty foods, he also loves vegetables. When he does cook something he is very good with getting a colorful and flavorful profile to his dishes. Though we do laugh because 75% of the time everything ends up in one pot - dishes we've come to label as Stoup.

He recently decided to try his hand at juicing/blending vegetables in an effort to have more of it in his life and to have it easier at hand. His very first blend wasn't at all bad, even though it looked like a thin mud (pulp and all). It was very much a kitchen sink approach to drinking your way to health. It had tomatoes and celery and onions and garlic and carrots and bell pepper and broccoli and parsley and some other stuff - I'm way too lazy to go and look at what he wrote down. Like I said, pulpy and looked like mud, but not untasty.

My very first effort didn't come out bad either, but because of someone's (she know who she is) sensibilities I won't reveal my liquid salad recipe. But I will describe my second effort, which I just did. I thought "hey bort," because even in my real life I am bort, "you like V8 juice, that's gotta be hella easy to make for reals." And I looked across the webosphere and found a plethora of recipes. Most of them were similar so I did some averaging and went to the store with my list.
  • 5 medium-large tomatoes, chopped
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 dash tabasco sauce
  • 1 dash worcestershire sauce
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 small cucumbers, chopped
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley
  • + celery
  • 1 cup spinach

I ended up with 5 small-medium tomatoes, chopped in some celery, half a bag of babby carrots and the cucumbers plus 2 cups of water (one cup didn't look like enough to get the vortex action) and then ran out of space in our 2L blending vessel.

:ohnoes:

But I am a clever enough bort and just blended in halves. In the second half of the experience I chopped in the rest of the ingredients plus the secret ingredient (livius you can look, you'll love it)

I was amazed at how dark and intriguing that liquified beet was. And when I finally combined all the things...

Well, I call it Murder Ketchup. It was a too viscous for drinking liquid but still just a tad thin to be actual catsup. I did what I could to strain out a lot of the pulp and ended up with a medium pulpy beverage that tastes like... well, a very beety V8. You're definitely not going to confuse this with V8 or any other tomato based beverage. It's definitely Super Beet 8 or something. I taste more of the beet and spices than anything else in there. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and refine this recipe or just move on to simpler things.

I swear to you though, in its max pulp phase, it was something they could have used for Dexter or Hannibal or sommit. Splashes of this stuff on the counter would likely have caused my roommate to worry I'd slit an artery.

I'm waiting for him to get home to try it before I declare win or lose on it.

There's not a whole lot of drink to be had but I'm hoping I can get enough so that I experience the technicolor wonder that is :amethystpoop:.
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-14-2013), Crumb (05-13-2013), curses (05-13-2013), Demimonde (05-14-2013), Janet (05-14-2013), lisarea (05-13-2013), Watser? (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Yeah, But Will It Blend?

Did you try adding vodka?
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-14-2013), BrotherMan (05-13-2013), Crumb (05-14-2013), curses (05-13-2013), Janet (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Yeah, But Will It Blend?

Dear Bort,

You are making blended gazpacho. If you want to maintain a thinner consistency, you can blend the tomatoes fully, and then only part blend the more fibrous vegetables, so that there are some good chunks left in.

Also, you should look up different gazpacho recipes if you want more ideas for different combinations and stuff. Also, if you have a regular traditional gazpacho, it is really good with an avocado just sliced up and added right before serving.

Your friend,
Mean Old Judgmental Lisa Pea.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-14-2013), Janet (05-14-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink