Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 AM

Tablet Werewolf Sign up and role discusion

There seems to be interest in a game of werewolf here at FF so I have decided to start a sign up thread. We would need at least 10 people to play, but more are welcome.

About the game
Werewolf is very similar to mafia. Both pit a town of innocents against a small group of people trying to gain control of the town. People are killed each day by the vote of the town and each night by the werewolves. It is the differneces that makes werewolf a very interesting game. First, the days are timed, so one day in real time is one day in game time. This means that the game moves much quicker, and the end of a day see much more activity. Secondly, the vote to lynch just whomever gets the most votes when the day ends, not when a majority is reached. This makes every vote more powerful. Finally, in werewolf everyone can PM anyone in the game. The use of PM is welcome and encourged. This allows the players to discuss what is going on with a few people who the trust for some reasone or another. This makes it easier to talk to people, voice suspisions and to creat alliances with other people.

Roles for the game - basic
werewolf - your standard evil role
seer - tries to find the werewolves each night
herbalist - protectes against werewolves
lunatic - kills a person each night until the killing ends
witch - a human on the side of the werewolves, helping them destroy the town

There are other roles that can be added to the game if people want them and there are enough people playing.

If there are any questions, I would be happy to answer them in this thread. This game is slated to start sometime next week. What hours for day and night are good for this forum. Over at II we have a 8 AM Pacific start time and 3 or 4 PM Pacific end time, but those can be changed to whatever is needed.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
...)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Werewolf Sign up and role discusion

I'm reposting your roles from WW6 so people can get a look at where to start.

Trollop (Special, Good)
By day, the Trollop is a respectable villager. Each night, however, the Trollop dons a disguise and secretly selects a "client" to visit. She spends the night with her chosen player, and consequently the player is prevented from performing any night-time activities that their role would otherwise let them perform. The visited player is informed that they were prevented from their night-time activities by the Trollop, but is not informed of the identity of the Trollop. If the Trollop visits a Werewolf, the other wolves (if any) may still eat a victim. The Trollop is not informed of the special role (if any) of the visited player, but may be able to deduce it by which activity fails to happen that night. The Trollop may not visit the same player on consecutive nights. Should the Trollop's client be killed by any night-time means (the Wolves, the Lunatic, etc.) then the visiting Trollop is also killed. The Trollop will notice bites from Vampires, so will know if someone has been targeted. The bites disappear, however, once the transformation takes place, so the Trollop will not know if they are with a vampire.

The Mayor (Additional)
Unlike the other special characters, the Mayor is not assigned by the Referee, but is voted in by the players on day 1. As such, the player holding the Mayor's position can also hold another special role.

The Mayor gets two votes, when voting for whom to lynch - and also gets to assign the role of Judge. The Judge gets to break ties in the voting and becomes Mayor if the Mayor is killed.

Necromancer (Good, Special) - The necromancer can summon up the spirits of the recently dead. Each night, they can summon the spirit of a single player who has died within the last 24 hours (i.e. was killed the previous night by the wolves or the lunatic, or was lynched the previous evening). Since the risen spirit appears in its true form, the necromancer can tell whether the deceased was a human or a wolf. Unfortunately the summoning of such spirits is dangerous work, and if the necromancer ever summons a player with a special role (whether human or wolf) this overwhelms the necromancer's mind and from that point on they take on the role of the deceased and lose the ability to summon spirits.

The Revenant (Good, Special)
The Revenant spends most of the game as a normal villager. However, on the night after the Revenant dies, he rises from the grave and takes revenge for his death, killing the person he thinks is responsible. (so, if he is lynched, he kills someone that night, if he is killed in the night by werewolves/lunatic, he rises the following night) If the Revenant knows his killer(s) he must kill one of them (e.g. if the Revenant was lynched, he must kill one of the people who voted for him). If the Revenant does not know who killed him, then he must guess. Once the Revenant has taken his posthumous revenge, he goes to his final rest and can not be raised by the Necromancer.

Herbalist (Special, Human) - The herbalist is wise in the ways of natural medicine, and can prepare wolvesbane to keep the wolves at bay. Each night, the herbalist prepares enough wolvesbane to protect the house of a single player from being entered by werewolves. The power of the wolvesbane fades in the morning, so the protection only lasts for a single night. Unfortunately, a house needs to be thoroughly cleansed before it can be protected in this way. This causes two problems for the herbalist. Firstly, the herbalist's own house has so many other herbs in it that the wolvesbane is swamped by their scent and cannot be effectively cleansed - so the herbalist cannot use their wolvesbane to protect themself. Secondly, the need to let a house air before protecting it again means that the herbalist cannot protect the same house on two consecutive nights.

Priest (Special, Human) - The Priest communes with a higher power, and can prove his abilities are divine (much to the chagrine of local atheists). His faith is so powerful, that any house he prays in becomes intolerable to all Vampires. Each night, he is able to protect someone from being bitten by the Primogen vampire. His faith, however, is shaken by someone being too greedy for favors from his god, so will never protect the same person two nights in a row.

Seer (Special, Human) - The seer has prophetic and strange dreams. Each night, the seer dreams about a single player of their choice. When the seer awakens the following morning, they can interpret their dreams to discover whether the target dreamed about is human or wolf. The seer does not discover whether or not the target has a special role.

Lunatic (Special, Human) - The lunatic has been driven mad by the werewolves and the killing. Although they appear normal during the day, each night after the first night they must go out under the influence of the moon and slay another player of their choice. There is method to the lunatic's madness, however, and the lunatic's goal is to slay the wolves since only then can the madness end.

Alpha Wolf (Evil, Special) - The alpha wolf is the elder werewolf who has spawned the other werewolves. The alpha wolf starts the game knowing the identities of all werewolves and of the gypsy. As an elder werewolf, the alpha wolf is more powerful than the normal werewolves and cannot be discovered by the seer's dreams.

Werewolf Shaman (Evil, Special)
The Shaman is the spiritual leader of the werewolf clan, and is a werewolf himself (for purposes of being examined by the Seer and for purposes of the endgame conditions). Once per game, the Shaman can (if still alive) kidnap any one target, and perform a ritual on them that makes them lose whatever special role (but not additional role) they might have had and become a Werewolf instead. The Shaman can convert any vampire.

Werewolf (Evil) - Appear as human during the day but at night they change into wolves and kill one player of which they know all other wolves and conspire together. Can only win if wolves equal/outnumber the non-wolves in the town, including Vampires. Ex., there are 2 werewolves alive, 1 villager and 1 vampire, the werewolves win. The game begins with only 1 werewolf.

Witch (Evil, Special) - Human on the side of the wolves, can envision one player per night to determine if they have and what their specialty role is, if any. Anyone that does not have a special ability will appear as a villager. A vampire with a special ability will only be revealed for the special ability, and not as a vampire. Only counts towards the werewolf population for victory purposes, unless the witch has been turned into a Vampire.

Primogen Vampire (Evil, Special) - Starts game with only 1, appears human even to seer, is immune to werewolf attacks, and at night gets to bite one player of choice. If this player is a wolf nothing happens. The Primogen Vampire will not know he is biting a werewolf, and the werewolf will not know he has been bitten. If this player is human then that player receives a bite. Any human with 3 bites retains any special abilities they may have and becomes a Vampire. A werewolf may not become a vampire (and don't ask about Abominations... I'll kill you myself). If attacked by wolves, no one dies but the wolves are alerted of the identy of the Vampire while the Vampire does not learn the identity of the wolves (This is true for all vampires, but the wolves will not know if that individual is the Primogen Vampire). The Lunatic will kill the Primogen Vampire. All offspring of original Vampire are detectable to the Seer. Vampires are very powerful creatures, and can defeat just about anyone in combat. However, without a constant blood supply, Vampires can become very weak, even going into a coma-like torpor that can last for centuries. The Vampire(s) win if they have an equal or greater amount of survivors to the other two groups in the game. So, if the game day begins/ends with 2 villagers, 2 werewolves and 2 vampires, the Vampire team is declared the winner. Note that the Vampire(s) doesn't kill anyone at night. They require a living herd to feed.

Vampire (Evil) - Once a villager is turned into a vampire, they know the identity of the Primogen Vampire and may now work together to take over the town. The Vampire has no inherent special abilities, but may still use any they had from their previous lives. Vampires cannot be killed by werewolves, but are susceptible to the Lunatic. The Vampire also may not create any vampires of their own, unless the Primogen Vampire is killed. Then, the first created Vampire becomes Primogen and gets all of the Primogen abilities. Seniority has it's perks.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 AM

1)
2)
3) Joshua Adams
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
...)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

but everyone should keep in mind that the game doesnt have to be that complex. we can run a simple one if that is what people want.

i just dont want to scare anyone away cuz of complexity.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 AM

I've a feeling this game will be fairly small and only include a few roles. Maybe that'd be better anyway. But the list is there so people have a framework to discuss additions/tweaks in.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 AM

I was going to run the first game much like mafia, only having a few roles and adding more if we got more people, but that is up to the players in the game.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Procrastinate now, why put it off?

I think some form of Undertaker should be considered as no one knows anything about the dead in the current IIDB game.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 AM

Hey balluga, I'd be happy to mod/help you mod if you like.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:59 PM

bump, i know we have some interest in werewolf, me, crumb, capp and sock were all in a game at ii. so lets get one going here.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I'd prefer to hold off on a WW signup until the current II game wraps up, because vm's latest Mafia game is starting up here. Three simultaneous rpg's would seriously mess with my head, not to mention that I have to get some work done at some point.

If I do end up joining another WW game, the next one will have to be a helluva lot simpler. I like the PMing angle (getting lied to publicly and privately is delicious) and the time constraints of WW, but the amount of special roles in the current II game seems to be just for seasoned gaming geeks.

Also, a townie/villager is essentially meat even in the more basic games. It sucks ass that they don't even get to know the roles of the folks they lynch. I think the townies need a bit more of a handicap than they get in a lot of these variations, to balance the challenge for both sides.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM

well i feel similar, not knowing the role is rough, but the ii ww game will wrap today i believe tomorrow at the latest cuz come daybreak we will be down to 5-6 players, and vm's mafia game doesnt start till tomorrow.

we could run a vanilla game here, just a couple of ww a seer, and an herbalist.

which is what this thread is all about. being a villager seems unimportant, but its not. being a helpful and thoughtful villager can win games.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum