Old 10-02-2017, 03:00 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Default Ting Mobile

I've been with CREDO Mobile for many years. While I appreciate their social consciousness and customer service, I'm beginning to feel constrained by the lack of choice in devices--very nearly confined to iPhones and Samsung Galaxy/Notes. I was interested in picking up a Moto G5 Plus, but CREDO doesn't sell a SIM card for that phone.

I thought Ting looked interesting. They seem to value customers' privacy, and they support an open Internet. Anyone have any thoughts/experience they're willing to share?
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-02-2017), Qingdai (10-04-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Ting Mobile

I've been planning to switch to Ting pretty soon.

We're on a really cheap (like $7 a month each) grandfathered plan we've had a really long time, but the service has been degrading a lot and I think they're actively trying to get us to leave.

Our big criteria is that we have to find something to fit our weird usage patterns where we don't end up having to pay for a bunch of stuff we don't need or want. We have a landline, so I generally don't use my cell phone at all when I'm at home, and Matlock is extremely old and crotchety, so he almost never even turns his on. But every now and again, when one or both of us are away from home for a while, we'll have spurts of usage, so I like their flexible system, and the fact that you can share the minutes and data.

We'll end up paying more than we are now, but there are benefits too, and I don't think we have the option to stay with what we have now for long, anyway. Matlock can probably just bring his current phone over, but I still need to decide on a new one for me.
Thanks, from:
ShottleBop (10-02-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

OK, we have switched over to Ting, and so far I'm liking it pretty much.

I forgot to turn off data on my phone at first, so I incurred an extra $3 on our bill this month, but I figure most months, our combined bill should be about $18, which is only $4 more than we were paying for our crappyassed plan before. (Although I should add that the minutes on our old plan rolled over and after a while, we'd be able to buy a new phone with the accumulated minutes, which was crazy and probably a big part of the reason they were trying so hard to attrition us.)

Weirdest thing about Ting: When you call them, a human answers. They pick up the phone and say hello. I normally don't like talking to humans, but they're better than the crazy robots I'm always having to fight.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-20-2017), JoeP (10-20-2017), ShottleBop (10-24-2017), Stormlight (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
crazy robots I'm always having to fight.
I'd watch the shit out of that. :yup:
JoeP (10-20-2017), lisarea (10-25-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology