#51176  
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Many thanks to this forum and Daniel Dennett for helping clarify the principles that I have been tirelessly trying to convey. I am very grateful.
Dennett is a compatibilist -- remember? The very thing you spent years telling spacemonkey could not possibly be true?

:lol:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (12-03-2017), Spacemonkey (12-05-2017), The Man (12-02-2017)
  #51177  
Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Many thanks to this forum and Daniel Dennett for helping clarify the principles that I have been tirelessly trying to convey. I am very grateful.
Dennett is a compatibilist -- remember? The very thing you spent years telling spacemonkey could not possibly be true?

:lol:
Nothing whatsoever to do with my reasoning. You’re too anxious to make me wrong for you to have any input that is worth it’s salt!
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-03-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #51178  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:40 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Many thanks to this forum and Daniel Dennett for helping clarify the principles that I have been tirelessly trying to convey. I am very grateful.
Dennett is a compatibilist -- remember? The very thing you spent years telling spacemonkey could not possibly be true?

:lol:
Nothing whatsoever to do with my reasoning. You’re too anxious to make me wrong for you to have any input that is worth it’s salt!
Got it. You did not realize, when you invoked his name, that Dennett is a compatibilist -- the very thing you spent years whining to spacemonkey could not possibly be true. So now you just write some content-free bullshit to try (unsuccessfully) to deflect from your utter ignorance.

Also, what are thanking this forum for? For proving that we don't see in real time?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51179  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:48 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Many thanks to this forum and Daniel Dennett for helping clarify the principles that I have been tirelessly trying to convey. I am very grateful.
Dennett is a compatibilist -- remember? The very thing you spent years telling spacemonkey could not possibly be true?

:lol:
Nothing whatsoever to do with my reasoning. You’re too anxious to make me wrong for you to have any input that is worth it’s salt!
Got it. You did not realize, when you invoked his name, that Dennett is a compatibilist -- the very thing you spent years whining to spacemonkey could not possibly be true. So now you just write some content-free bullshit to try (unsuccessfully) to deflect from your utter ignorance.

Also, what are thanking this forum for? For proving that we don't see in real time?
Ignorance? You are the poster child for ignorance!
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51180  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51181  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views! You attack me before you even know what I’m talking about! Real smart David! :biglaugh:
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51182  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views, dumb ass!
Oh, you agree with him in certain respects ... What "certain respects" would those be, fuckwit? He entirely agrees with spacemonkey and entirely disagrees with you!

You just invoked his name in your ignorance because you did not realize he was a compatibilist! You still don't even know what compatibilism is!
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51183  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
Spacemonkey has to apologize to me first! :yup:
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-04-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #51184  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views, dumb ass!
Oh, you agree with him in certain respects ... What "certain respects" would those be, fuckwit? He entirely agrees with spacemonkey and entirely disagrees with you!

You just invoked his name in your ignorance because you did not realize he was a compatibilist! You still don't even know what compatibilism is!
I know he is a compatibilist, and he’s wrong! All compatibles makes is is a semantic play on words to make it appear that you can be free and determined at the same time! And you have fallen for it! :giggle:
So why did you invoke his name, and what do you agree with him about, asshat? :asshat:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51185  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:54 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm
Oh, you agree with him in certain respects ... What "certain respects" would those be, fuckwit? He entirely agrees with spacemonkey and entirely disagrees with you!
Who cares! They’re both wrong!! :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm”
You just invoked his name in your ignorance because you did not realize he was a compatibilist! You still don't even know what compatibilism is!
I know he is a compatibilist, and he’s incorrect! Compatibilism is just a semantic play on words to make it appear that you can be free and determined at the same time! And you have fallen for it! :giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “Davidm
why did you invoke his name, and what do you agree with him about, asshat? :asshat:
I don’t engage with name callers. :sad:
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51186  
Old 12-04-2017, 02:35 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm
Oh, you agree with him in certain respects ... What "certain respects" would those be, fuckwit? He entirely agrees with spacemonkey and entirely disagrees with you!
Who cares! They’re both wrong!! :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm”
You just invoked his name in your ignorance because you did not realize he was a compatibilist! You still don't even know what compatibilism is!
I know he is a compatibilist, and he’s incorrect! Compatibilism is just a semantic play on words to make it appear that you can be free and determined at the same time! And you have fallen for it! :giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “Davidm
why did you invoke his name, and what do you agree with him about, asshat? :asshat:
I don’t engage with name callers. :sad:
:lol:

But people have been calling you names since 2011, and here you still are, wasting your time!

Why can't you answer the question? WHAT do you agree with Daniel Dennett about, since he wholly disagrees with you and completely agrees with spacemonkey?

You can't answer the question because you know perfectly well that you did NOT KNOW that Dennett was a compatibilist, just like spacemonkey -- you probably skimmed something he wrote, and drew the WRONG conclusion about his views -- and now you just can't admit it!

Do you think you are fooling ANYONE here?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51187  
Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm
Oh, you agree with him in certain respects ... What "certain respects" would those be, fuckwit? He entirely agrees with spacemonkey and entirely disagrees with you!
Who cares! They’re both wrong!! :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm”
You just invoked his name in your ignorance because you did not realize he was a compatibilist! You still don't even know what compatibilism is!
I know he is a compatibilist, and he’s incorrect! Compatibilism is just a semantic play on words to make it appear that you can be free and determined at the same time! And you have fallen for it! :giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “Davidm
why did you invoke his name, and what do you agree with him about, asshat? :asshat:
I don’t engage with name callers. :sad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm
:lol:

But people have been calling you names since 2011, and here you still are, wasting your time!

Why can't you answer the question? WHAT do you agree with Daniel Dennett about, since he wholly disagrees with you and completely agrees with spacemonkey?

You can't answer the question because you know perfectly well that you did NOT KNOW that Dennett was a compatibilist, just like spacemonkey -- you probably skimmed something he wrote, and drew the WRONG conclusion about his views -- and now you just can't admit it!

Do you think you are fooling ANYONE here?
I couldn’t care less what people in here think. You are wrong again in thinking I didn’t know Dennett was a compatibilist. That is why I specified that I agree with certain things but not his compatibilist beliefs.
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51188  
Old 12-04-2017, 02:57 AM
ChuckF's Avatar
ChuckF ChuckF is offline
liar in wolf's clothing
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frequently about
Posts: XVMMMDCCCLXIV
Images: 2
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Many thanks to this forum
peacegirl, I am glad that you were able to benefit from the undeniable, mathematical, and scientific fact that I am the True Steward of the Authentic Text, even if you do blame me for it.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51189  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:00 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Did you imagine that Dennett was not a compatibilist, dumb ass? Just as spacemonkey is? If you knew he was a compatibilist, why in the world would you invoke his name? Are you now a compatibilist, and prepared to apologize to spacemoneky for indulging all your rubbish?
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm
Oh, you agree with him in certain respects ... What "certain respects" would those be, fuckwit? He entirely agrees with spacemonkey and entirely disagrees with you!
Who cares! They’re both wrong!! :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm”
You just invoked his name in your ignorance because you did not realize he was a compatibilist! You still don't even know what compatibilism is!
I know he is a compatibilist, and he’s incorrect! Compatibilism is just a semantic play on words to make it appear that you can be free and determined at the same time! And you have fallen for it! :giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “Davidm
why did you invoke his name, and what do you agree with him about, asshat? :asshat:
I don’t engage with name callers. :sad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by “davidm
:lol:

But people have been calling you names since 2011, and here you still are, wasting your time!

Why can't you answer the question? WHAT do you agree with Daniel Dennett about, since he wholly disagrees with you and completely agrees with spacemonkey?

You can't answer the question because you know perfectly well that you did NOT KNOW that Dennett was a compatibilist, just like spacemonkey -- you probably skimmed something he wrote, and drew the WRONG conclusion about his views -- and now you just can't admit it!

Do you think you are fooling ANYONE here?
I couldn’t care less what people in here think. You are wrong again in thinking I didn’t know Dennett was a compatibilist. That is why I specified that I agree with certain things but not his compatibilist beliefs.
What certain things? Name them!

:lol:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51190  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:01 AM
But's Avatar
But But is offline
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: MVDCXIV
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I couldn’t care less
:clap: :thumbsup:

OK, now what about those space probes? Have you figured out what's going on?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (12-04-2017), The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51191  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:02 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Also you did NOT specify, in your initial post THANKING him (and implicitly thanking ChuckF) that you knew he was a compatibilist but agreed with certain things that he said. You posted that only AFTER I pointed out that he was a compatibilist!
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51192  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 AM
Florence Jellem's Avatar
Florence Jellem Florence Jellem is offline
Egress From an Evolutionary Protist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: CDLXXIX
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Boys, are we back in business? :confused:
__________________
:sammich: :sammich: :sammich:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51193  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:07 AM
ChuckF's Avatar
ChuckF ChuckF is offline
liar in wolf's clothing
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frequently about
Posts: XVMMMDCCCLXIV
Images: 2
Default Re: A revolution in thought

:crossed:

If so, I have a 2018 surprise cooking. (All you e-homos, take note!)
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (12-04-2017), The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51194  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:27 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Also you did NOT specify, in your initial post THANKING him (and implicitly thanking ChuckF) that you knew he was a compatibilist but agreed with certain things that he said. You posted that only AFTER I pointed out that he was a compatibilist!
I did not have to specify that I was well aware he was a compatibilist to prove to you that I already knew this. Your pointing out that he was a compatibilist had zilch to do my knowledge of Dennett’s beliefs. Your reasoning is so off, it’s amazing you don’t see it! You’re making all kinds of assumptions.
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51195  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:29 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence Jellem View Post
Boys, are we back in business? :confused:
No, you’re not back in business to make fun at my expense just because you don’t like the idea that man’s will is not free and that time is not a dimension! :giggle:
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51196  
Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
:crossed:

If so, I have a 2018 surprise cooking. (All you e-homos, take note!)
Oh, good, young man, will this be another recording? :eager:

Flo sure got a belly laugh at the last one and I pissed my panties!
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51197  
Old 12-04-2017, 04:16 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A revolution in thought

My Aunt Flo accidentally used my login. :(

Auntie, don't forget your brain scan appointment on Tuesday.

You nephew David.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (12-04-2017), The Man (12-04-2017)
  #51198  
Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Stephen Maturin's Avatar
Stephen Maturin Stephen Maturin is offline
Nutty Legionnaire Provost
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Juggalonia
Posts: VMMCCCXXIII
Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I invoked his name because I agree with him in certain respects, which has nothing to do with his inaccurate compatibilist views!
Oh, OK. Is Dennett a rape apologist or something?
__________________
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis D. Brandeis

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-05-2017)
  #51199  
Old 12-05-2017, 12:40 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Default Re: A revolution in thought

This is not free thought. The name of this forum is a misnomer.
__________________
"We will not solve the problems of the world from the level of thinking we were at when we created them" -- Einstein

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #51200  
Old 12-05-2017, 01:27 AM
The Lone Ranger's Avatar
The Lone Ranger The Lone Ranger is offline
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCDX
Images: 523
Default Re: A revolution in thought

It's not an unreasonable request. You said "I agree with him in certain respects", so it's not unreasonable to ask what you think Dennett's right about.

It shouldn't be the least bit difficult for you -- a matter of just a few seconds' worth of typing. Assuming, of course, that you aren't pulling the "I agree with him in certain respects" from out of your nether regions, that is.

Ideally, you'd also provide some justification for your opinion. But, of course, we all know better than to expect that from you.
__________________
“The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.”
-- Socrates
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-05-2017)
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (0 members and 8 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.76503 seconds with 14 queries