Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post

:monkey:

:catlady:
That's true Spacemonkey...
Do you really not see the problem with the above response?

Imagine you've just got up in the morning, and check the mail only to meet the postman delivering a letter to you from Japan. Wow, you exclaim, how did this letter get here all the way from Japan? Mail from Japan has been shutdown for the past two weeks!

Well, the postman explains, this morning when mail from Japan resumed, a person in Japan went to the post office to drop it off. The letter was taken to Narita airport and placed on a plane which flies to the US, taking around 14hrs, where the letter was dropped off and taken to a mail sorting facility where it was then dispatched to its labelled address, and should arrive here sometime tomorrow or the day after that.

A little confused, you ask: Do you mean this letter I'm now holding in my hand will arrive tomorrow? Oh no, the postman explains. I was telling you about a completely different letter that hasn't arrived yet. Okay, so how did this letter get here, you ask. The postman looks away guiltily and shuffles his feet. What do you mean, he says, I just told you.

Please tell me what is wrong with the postman's explanation. I'm sure you can figure it out. Don't respond with anything about light or vision. Stick to the story.
Angakuk (07-27-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (07-27-2014), Dragar (07-27-2014), LadyShea (07-27-2014), Pan Narrans (07-28-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If we had a powerful enough lens we would get an image of the light striking the reflector in 1.3 seconds...
But we don't. When we use powerful lenses we still see it after a 1.3sec delay, which is exactly the time speed delay predicted by afferent vision.
Oh really? Show me the proof. You keep repeating what you think is true, but there should be proof out there, shouldn't there? Why don't they have this on youtube?
If it hasn't been posted on youtube it must not be real science, obviously.

Quote:
The small reflector package (or mirror) in that video was no larger than 18 square inches. The light that is reflected cannot be seen at that distance even with a powerful telescope.
Yet it is. How odd. :chin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
...it's difficult to understand how you couple possibly sound more idiotic and ignorant than you do right now.
Give her time, she'll do it.

Quote:
That's all well and good, but the telescope cannot register reflected light off of a tiny piece of reflective material at a quarter of a million miles away, even if the light is intense. It just won't be seen.
Yet it can and it is. How odd.:chin:
The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
We can only see that which light is capable of revealing (i.e., material substance). :doh:
So what is being 'revealed' when we see the laser spot appear on the moon?
The light, what else?
But you told me "We can only see that which light is capable of revealing (i.e., material substance)." And that "light can't reveal itself". So it can't be light, unless what you told me was wrong. Which means we've spent a good part of this conversation yet again trying to get you to come up with some self consistent story.

Why are you always so full of these contradictions?
Angakuk (07-28-2014), But (01-10-2018), LadyShea (07-27-2014), Spacemonkey (07-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Well, each photon comes in a quantum wave packet...
:nope:

There's no one-to-one correspondence between wavepacket (or any other solution to equations) and photons. It's way more messy than that!
Angakuk (07-28-2014), But (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:monkey:

:catlady:
That's true Spacemonkey...
Do you really not see the problem with the above response?

Imagine you've just got up in the morning, and check the mail only to meet the postman delivering a letter to you from Japan. Wow, you exclaim, how did this letter get here all the way from Japan? Mail from Japan has been shutdown for the past two weeks!

Well, the postman explains, this morning when mail from Japan resumed, a person in Japan went to the post office to drop it off. The letter was taken to Narita airport and placed on a plane which flies to the US, taking around 14hrs, where the letter was dropped off and taken to a mail sorting facility where it was then dispatched to its labelled address, and should arrive here sometime tomorrow or the day after that.

A little confused, you ask: Do you mean this letter I'm now holding in my hand will arrive tomorrow? Oh no, the postman explains. I was telling you about a completely different letter that hasn't arrived yet. Okay, so how did this letter get here, you ask. The postman looks away guiltily and shuffles his feet. What do you mean, he says, I just told you.

Please tell me what is wrong with the postman's explanation. I'm sure you can figure it out. Don't respond with anything about light or vision. Stick to the story.
This story is not a good analogy because in this model there is nothing in the letter (in that particular photon) that is different from the next letter. Once again, you have made an assumption that the photon itself is traveling with a particular wavelength and is bringing this to the eye rather than trying to understand that the wavelength is revealing the object. If the object changes color, the wavelength will reveal this change instantly in the efferent account.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We can only see that which light is capable of revealing (i.e., material substance). :doh:
The light, what else?
But you told me "We can only see that which light is capable of revealing (i.e., material substance)." And that "light can't reveal itself". So it can't be light, unless what you told me was wrong. Which means we've spent a good part of this conversation yet again trying to get you to come up with some self consistent story.

No, I meant photons coming from the Sun cannot reveal themselves. We see light in the morning but this is not the same thing as light revealing matter. When we see fire, this is light but it's also matter. If we would see a laser reflected off of a piece of reflective material, this is light but it's also concentrated light energy which can be revealed by photons. This is not a contradiction. Light also reveals pixels on a computer which are tiny colored units, or sunsets (which is also light but it's interacting with the atmosphere). Do you see the difference?

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
This story is not a good analogy because in this model there is nothing in the letter (in that particular photon) that is different from the next letter. Once again, you have made an assumption that the photon itself is traveling with a particular wavelength and is bringing this to the eye rather than trying to understand that the wavelength is revealing the object. If the object changes color, the wavelength will reveal this change instantly in the efferent account.
Bzzzzzzzzt!! FAIL!

I said: Don't respond with anything about light or vision. Stick to the story.

Try again. Please explain what is wrong with the postman's response.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Bzzzzzzzzt!! FAIL!

You are putting me in an impossible position by telling me what I'm required to say or not say. Obviously, if this was a different situation (other than explaining efferent vision), then you would be right. If I was waiting for lemonade to be sent downstream in a bottle and it never arrived but the person sending it said you will be getting it later today but it's going to be orange juice, I would say where's the lemonade I asked for? Did it just disappear? But this is not a good analogy when it comes to what I'm discussing. Sorry Spacemonkey but you're not going to win because you're not right.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bzzzzzzzzt!! FAIL!

You are putting me in an impossible position by telling me what I'm required to say or not say. Obviously, if this was a different situation (other than explaining efferent vision), then you would be right. If I was waiting for lemonade to be sent downstream in a bottle and it never arrived but the person sending it said you will be getting it later today but it's going to be orange juice, I would say where's the lemonade I asked for? Did it just disappear? But this is not a good analogy when it comes to what I'm discussing. Sorry Spacemonkey but you're not going to win because you're not right.
Stop weaseling and answer the question. What was wrong with the postman's response in my scenario?
LadyShea (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
If I haven't answered your questions to your satisfaction, I'll try again tomorrow...
Still waiting.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
This story is not a good analogy because in this model there is nothing in the letter (in that particular photon) that is different from the next letter.
It is a good analogy because we aren't asking you about the contents, only the physical letter itself.

You've stated there are light photons on the camera film at noon when the Sun is newly ignited. Where did those exact light photons come from and how did they get to the camera film? You keep talking about different light photons that are traveling and will arrive at 12:08, though you are being asked about these specific light photons that are at the camera film at noon. You are being terribly dishonest.

Quote:
Once again, you have made an assumption that the photon itself is traveling with a particular wavelength and is bringing this to the eye rather than trying to understand that the wavelength is revealing the object.
The object is the Sun, so full spectrum light (many photons of many different wavelengths). The time is noon. How are the photons at the camera film, at noon, "revealing" the Sun?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-28-2014), Spacemonkey (07-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The light, what else?

No, I meant photons coming from the Sun cannot reveal themselves. We see light in the morning but this is not the same thing as light revealing matter. When we see fire, this is light but it's also matter. If we would see a laser reflected off of a piece of reflective material, this is light but it's also concentrated light energy which can be revealed by photons. This is not a contradiction. Light also reveals pixels on a computer which are tiny colored units, or sunsets (which is also light but it's interacting with the atmosphere). Do you see the difference?
Mealy Mouth. His question was "what is being 'revealed' when we see the laser spot appear on the moon?"

Though I am curious now exactly what matter is "revealed" by a flame, and why this same matter is not revealed when there is an invisible flame burning in full daylight. Why doesn't sunlight reveal that matter?

Quote:
concentrated light energy which can be revealed by photons
LOL, what does that mean? Concentrated light energy is photons, so are you flip flopping and saying light can reveal itself?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-28-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow. Did I nail it, or what?

By the way, you may recall that light always moves at a constant speed (called, conveniently enough, "the speed of light"), and doesn't linger at sensors, waiting for us to process what we've just seen.
I didn't mean that, but the laser would still be shining on the sensor unless it was removed the second the light arrived.
It's sent out in a pulse, it is not left on. Once again refuting one of your statements...or did you retract your claim that light doesn't travel independently of its source?
So how can a *#$( pulse tell us anything. Are you depending on someone's sight to give us this information? We can't even decipher all kinds of images due to illusions, and yet you think this is an accurate test? I don't think so.
ROFL, you don't understand the first thing about how your own model could possibly work, let alone the standard model. 2 reasonably bright children can use light pulses to send messages in Morse Code, so pulses aren't anything weird that can't tell us anything, first of all. Secondly, no, we are not depending on anyone's sight, we depend on state of the art photo receivers and atomic clocks, remember?

This issue is the failure of Lessans ideas every, single time, peacegirl. The other "discoveries" are at least philosophical or psychological in nature, so can't be so easily disproven. Nobody will care about them, though, once they get a load of the efferent vision crap.
This vision stuff is not crap just because LadyShea says it is.
It's crap because it's crap and your mealymouthing, weaseling, flip-flopping, and all around dishonesty sure don't add to your or Lessans credibility.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If we had a powerful enough lens we would get an image of the light striking the reflector in 1.3 seconds...
But we don't. When we use powerful lenses we still see it after a 1.3sec delay, which is exactly the time speed delay predicted by afferent vision.
Oh really? Show me the proof. You keep repeating what you think is true, but there should be proof out there, shouldn't there? Why don't they have this on youtube?
If it hasn't been posted on youtube it must not be real science, obviously.

Quote:
The small reflector package (or mirror) in that video was no larger than 18 square inches. The light that is reflected cannot be seen at that distance even with a powerful telescope.
Yet it is. How odd. :chin:

Quote:
...it's difficult to understand how you couple possibly sound more idiotic and ignorant than you do right now.
Give her time, she'll do it.

Quote:
That's all well and good, but the telescope cannot register reflected light off of a tiny piece of reflective material at a quarter of a million miles away, even if the light is intense. It just won't be seen.
Yet it can and it is. How odd.:chin:
I just wanted to see the proof with my own eyes (although that is sometimes misleading). Anyway, the parts of this puzzle were not given to me until I saw the video that David gave me. I have to thank David because you all thought this proved Lessans wrong, and it does no such thing.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow. Did I nail it, or what?

By the way, you may recall that light always moves at a constant speed (called, conveniently enough, "the speed of light"), and doesn't linger at sensors, waiting for us to process what we've just seen.
I didn't mean that, but the laser would still be shining on the sensor unless it was removed the second the light arrived.
It's sent out in a pulse, it is not left on. Once again refuting one of your statements...or did you retract your claim that light doesn't travel independently of its source?
So how can a *#$( pulse tell us anything. Are you depending on someone's sight to give us this information? We can't even decipher all kinds of images due to illusions, and yet you think this is an accurate test? I don't think so.
ROFL, you don't understand the first thing about how your own model could possibly work, let alone the standard model. 2 reasonably bright children can use light pulses to send messages in Morse Code, so pulses aren't anything weird that can't tell us anything, first of all. Secondly, no, we are not depending on anyone's sight, we depend on state of the art photo receivers and atomic clocks, remember?

This issue is the failure of Lessans ideas every, single time, peacegirl. The other "discoveries" are at least philosophical or psychological in nature, so can't be so easily disproven. Nobody will care about them, though, once they get a load of the efferent vision crap.
This vision stuff is not crap just because LadyShea says it is.
It's crap because it's crap and your mealymouthing, weaseling, flip-flopping, and all around dishonesty sure don't add to your or Lessans credibility.
No LadyShea, it's not crap. You just haven't given it the time and thought that would prove this to you. You have an agenda; you have all along which disqualifies you to be the person to analyze this knowledge. It's as simple as that. Other people will have to take the lead in this investigation, not you.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No LadyShea, it's not crap.
It really is. You can't even answer simple questions about it coherently.

Quote:
You have an agenda; you have all along which disqualifies you to be the person to analyze this knowledge. It's as simple as that. Other people will have to take the lead in this investigation, not you.
LOL, I have no agenda, WTF? Take the lead on what investigation? You and your crackpot exaggerations and persecution complex :lol:
Old 07-27-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
This story is not a good analogy because in this model there is nothing in the letter (in that particular photon) that is different from the next letter.
It is a good analogy because we aren't asking you about the contents, only the physical letter itself.
What does that even mean in regard to this model? I just gave you a similar analogy that has to do with the physical bottle of lemonade. It doesn't even make sense in light of this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
You've stated there are light photons on the camera film at noon when the Sun is newly ignited. Where did those exact light photons come from and how did they get to the camera film? You keep talking about different light photons that are traveling and will arrive at 12:08, though you are being asked about these specific light photons that are at the camera film at noon. You are being terribly dishonest.
No I'm not being dishonest. All I am showing you is that the photon that is at the eye when the eye is looking directly at the object changes what photons are thought to do. You don't have a clue LadyShea, yet you're coming off like a damn know it all.

Quote:
Once again, you have made an assumption that the photon itself is traveling with a particular wavelength and is bringing this to the eye rather than trying to understand that the wavelength is revealing the object.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
The object is the Sun, so full spectrum light (many photons of many different wavelengths). The time is noon. How are the photons at the camera film, at noon, "revealing" the Sun?
Just like photons reveal a candle in real time. It's the same phenomenon.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM

I'm still waiting for you to answer my earlier questions as you said you would. Just as I'm still waiting for you to answer my question about the postman scenario.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No LadyShea, it's not crap.
It really is. You can't even answer simple questions about it coherently.

Quote:
You have an agenda; you have all along which disqualifies you to be the person to analyze this knowledge. It's as simple as that. Other people will have to take the lead in this investigation, not you.
LOL, I have no agenda, WTF? Take the lead on what investigation? You and your crackpot exaggerations and persecution complex :lol:
Bullshit. That's your lame canned excuse. It's like you have a list of phrases and you try to figure out which phrase best suits me. You are not thinking for yourself but you can't see it because you have already decided that Lessans is wrong. This disqualifies you to offer anything that could add to this conversation in any legitimate way.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Still waiting...
Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to answer my earlier questions as you said you would. Just as I'm still waiting for you to answer my question about the postman scenario.
What is your problem Spacemonkey? Did you not receive my post this morning using the example of the lemonade? Or are you just in such denial that you can't even see the similarity? I won't go on talking to you if you can't even accept any of my responses because you don't like them, and you want somehow to force me to answer in a way that will discount Lessans' claim and give credit to your belief. Ain't gonna happen. I'm really tired of kowtowing to you and everyone here so that I'm not ridiculed unfairly. That would be cowardice on my part.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Bullshit. That's your lame canned excuse. It's like you have a list of phrases and you try to figure out which phrase best suits me. You are not thinking for yourself but you can't see it because you have already decided that Lessans is wrong. This disqualifies you to offer anything that could add to this conversation in any legitimate way.
WTF are you talking about, :dramaq:? I can't be "disqualified" from an informal discussion. This isn't a televised debate, this isn't historic record. We don't even have an audience. Good god, woman, you are histrionic.

Anyway, if you would answer the questions instead of lying and weaseling, maybe you would have some credibility. You are the one who is not offering any legitimate discussion.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What is your problem Spacemonkey? Did you not receive my post this morning using the example of the lemonade? Or are you just in such denial that you can't even see the similarity? I won't go on talking to you if you can't even accept any of my responses because you don't like them, and you want somehow to force me to answer in a way that will discount Lessans' claim and give credit to your belief. Ain't gonna happen. I'm really tired of kowtowing to you and everyone here in order to appease you so I'm not ridiculed unfairly.
My only problem is that you are still dishonestly weaseling instead of answering my questions as you said you would. Again, it's not that I don't like your answers. It's that you have not answered the questions at all.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If I haven't answered your questions to your satisfaction, I'll try again tomorrow...
Still waiting.
Was this another lie?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
WTF are you talking about, :dramaq:? I can't be "disqualified" from an informal discussion. This isn't a televised debate, this isn't historic record. We don't even have an audience. Good god, woman, you are histrionic.

Anyway, if you would answer the questions instead of lying and weaseling, maybe you would have some credibility. You are the one who is not offering any legitimate discussion.
You are disqualified to be an authority on this subject LadyShea. You are incapable of analyzing this discovery in any objective way due to your extreme bias. From day one, you tried to put Lessans in a bad light, for no good reason. You said he was irrational just because he was frustrated that his first attempt at putting his thoughts to paper didn't work out, so he chose to burn those books which was easier than carrying them out to the trash. You didn't trust that his friend actually saw a sign that read, The Eyes Are Not A Sense Organ, at a scientific exposition in Canada. That was true. You have tried to discredit him based on finding inconsistencies which aren't there. Open your ears and listen instead of yap all the time. Maybe you'll get something from this discussion after all.

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-27-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy