Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

Default Re: My latest guilty TV pleasure

I missed tonights episode! :(
Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Tellifying

Watched a bunch of Top Chefs and Kitchen Nightmares this weekend, just one day before we went to see "Ratatouille". It was like a restaurant-immersive weekend.

I agree that Top Chef shows way more about the workings of a true kitchen and not the usual BS that comes with competitive reality shows like Hell's Kitchen.

The Kitchen Nightmares that I've seen on BBCA were very good episode and I'm very curious to see if the American version will be as good.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I missed tonights episode! :(
Oh noes! Do NOT read the above posts. :giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
I agree that Top Chef shows way more about the workings of a true kitchen and not the usual BS that comes with competitive reality shows like Hell's Kitchen.
For one thing, I think they pick more experienced people. Part of the whole Hell's Kitchen vibe is the random-person-who-likes-to-cook-hits-it-big theme.

For another thing, they contestants do their own cooking. They invent their own dishes, they cook them, they plate them, most of the time they serve them. There is no Ramsey menu, Ramsey sous chef or Ramsey restaurant. Tom Colicchio isn't managing the kitchen, getting up in their faces when they fug something up. They are much more their own people than the poor Hell's Kitchen tools.
Thanks, from:
Zehava (05-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Tellifying

All true.

I love Kitchen Nightmares. Not that I like seeing restaurants in trouble, in fact, I hate it. But, I love seeing the camaraderie in the kitchen. I miss it so much. I don't miss the thirteen hour days or oppressive heat or smelling ilke a Chinese restaurant kitchen every single night.

But, I do miss hanging out with the kitchen staff. Listening to my dad curse out the dishwashers using the only Spanish he'll ever learn. Laughing at the banter between the kitchen staff and the wait staff.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:52 PM

I've only hung out in a professional kitchen when I was a little kid, and it wasn't crazy and chaotic like you see in Kitchen Nightmares or Hell's Kitchen. It was huge -- there were maybe 4 people working in it and it was probably 500+ square feet of space -- so there was no bumper car effect. Also, it was a family restaurant in Italy. You pretty much got your food when you got it.

I loved every minute of it. Those tough old Italian ladies making shit you can't even believe from the scratchiest of scratch, always kind and funny and happy to see the bratty kid next door dropping by to see what was up and scam some treats... Great times. :aww:
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM

So how about last night's episode?

I felt for Bonnie, let me tell you. I know it bespeaks someone who really isn't capable of being a head chef in a resort restaurant, but I'd be perpetually on the verge of tears too if I had to boil a living lobster.

Oh, and what about her not knowing what to do when the pan caught fire? You'd think a nanny would have some basic knowledge of how to avoid common household accidents.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 AM

I missed most of the episode last week, and didn't see what had happened. Luckily, they rebroadcast last week's episode before running this one.

Last week's episode: They were down to the final five, one team, black jackets. The chefs had their first "individual" challenge: to create a dish to impress 100 high school students. Rock made some fancy wasabi meatloaf or something, Bonnie made a fried goat cheese and greens dish, Julia made a grilled cheese and chicken sandwich, Josh and Jen, I can't remember what they made. Julia won with 51 votes out of the 100 students, an absolute majority. Amazing! But again, it was cafeteria food, basically grilled cheese with chicken. I'm not sure that is very impressive at all.

Winner got to pick one person ( Julia chose Jen) to go with her and Chef Ramsey to fly to Las Vegas on a private jet to check out the new restaurant/resort. I suppose I *should* have realized that "Green Valley" resort would be a "sister" location to "Red Rock" resort, but anyway they stopped by and met Heather, last season's winner.

The losers had to clean the restaurant at home and then do all the kitchen prep for the next service.

At the next service, Josh screwed up the appetizer section again,.. and again... and again.... Chef Ramsey was so fed up, he screamed at Josh to take off his jacket and get out, right in the middle of the service! Josh's dreams were dashed right then. The remaining four had to step in and take care of business. Julia was having her own troubles on garnish/veg station. Amazingly, she had never worked that station before.

They made it through, and Ramsey praised bonnie for her best service ever. She was chosen to select two persons to put up for elimination. she picked Rock, who had a personality problem in the kitchen and failed to communicate, and Julia, for her veg station veg-out. chef said it was a hard decision, but in the end decided to send Julia out of Hell's kitchen. He did something he'd never done before, however, and said he was paying to send her to culinary school to refine her obvious talent. That's a nice prize, maybe better than winning the restaurant.

So, b/c of Josh's early departure, 5 immediately became 3.

Tonight's episode: the individual "challenge" today was to take an ordinary dish and dress it up to make it gourmet. The lead exammple was ramsey's own mum, who used to make him mac and cheese. It was nice to see his mum, and him being so nice for once! He cautioned Rock, no swearing while his mum was there. Honestly, he himself cusses so habitually, it's a wonder he can watch his own mouth when his mum is there. Also means that cussing is not necessary (such as he does to complaining customers) to get results out of someone. but oh well.

anyhow, Bonnie drew "franks and beans," but she was so clueless, she did not even know what it was. I know franks and beans intimately, had that many a time growing up. Classic po' folks food! Jen drew fried chicken, and Rock got spaghetti and meatballs. Bonnie wasted an incredible amount of time trying to decide what to do. (I know what I would do with "franks and beans," as I had something like it at lunch with a friend just the other day: she made a white bean and tuna antipasto salad. that's what I'd do, white beans and sausage, vinagrette, onions, on a bed of greens. But that's just me) In the end, I don't know for sure what she did. Rock made three variations of spaghetti, with lobster, with sausage, and with I forget what. Jen made a chicken roulade, filled with lobster and spinach, and cheese, and then fried.

chef seemed impressed with the description of the dishes, and called in the contestants' mothers to taste test. All three mothers chose Jen's chicken as the best dish! For that, Jen got lunch out with her mum, chef and his mum, plus a $1000 shopping trip at a cooks' store. I am not familiar with the name of the store, but I'll have to look it up, b/c it must be close enough for me to go to. I'll bet it's only open to the trade, however.

the losers got to spend a few minutes with their mothers, but then had to clean up the dorms. bonnie seems quite useless at doing anything domestic. We learned that she mostly cooked meals for the family and did a little babysitting, so the designation as "nanny" is a bit misleading as to what she spent her working time doing.

Rock seemed to have done the lion's share of the work.

The three chefs took turns at the pass, yelling at the other chefs and trying to keep the kitchen running. Rock was slow but competent. Jen missed the "deliberately messed-up dish" that Scott sent up. Bonnie also caught the "mistake" Scott sent up to her. The three chefs alone completed the service ... agree with chef that it was the best service EVER in Hell's kitchen.

chef retained Rock, which I expected. I was thinking bonnie would go home, but in the end it was Jen who went.

Next week, I expect it's going to be the "create your own restaurant" challenge again. I think Bonnie has a better edge on atmosphere and decoration, but head to head with Rock, I think he's likely the better cook. I predict that Rock will win. If he were against Jen, I wouldn't be so sure.

Anyway, you heard it here first!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:10 PM

I was surprised he let Jen go. It seems pretty clear to me that Bonnie is nowhere near ready to run a fine dining kitchen, or even work in one, frankly. She may be a talented cook, but she's really very immature. It was almost like Ramsey was designating Rock the winner already.

I loved the moms. :aww: Mrs. Ramsey's mac and cheese looked way better than Ramsey's chi-chi lobster head version.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM

Agreed!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

I wasn't suprised to see Jen go...She was the one to pick the food out of the grabage wans't she?

And ya there is no way shape or form bonnie is ready to run let alone work in a top kitchen...Rock will be the winner hands down.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

ANyone watching this new season? Great bunch of idiots this year!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I loved the first episode of this season, but missed the second one.

In the first episode: Venison, capers, and... white chocolate? Psychopathic, much?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

Can't say I blame Gordon for puking after putting that in his mouth! It looked totally gross!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical-Chick View Post
I loved the first episode of this season, but missed the second one.

In the first episode: Venison, capers, and... white chocolate? Psychopathic, much?
But on Top Chef a couple of weeks ago, smoked salmon with white chocolate, celery root, and wasabi helped win the elimination challenge.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

I'm the only one in my family who likes to watch "When Calls The Heart."
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-03-2016), livius drusus (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 PM

This is an awesome thread bump.

I actually tried watching the first episode of that, Bop, but it was a little too Dr. Quinn wholesome for me.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 PM
puzzler

I enjoyed watching the second series of Fargo on Netflix - but now I've watched them all. :(

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature