Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Quality Contributor

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Fun. Not exactly very believable (actually, not even a little bit) but still a lot of fun.

:star::star::star::star::nostar:
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Source Code.

Starring Jake Gylala-hall Donnie Darko, it was better than I expected and kept me engrossed from beginning to end. Kind of implausible ending but hey. There are worse ways to spend 90 minutes.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Quality Contributor

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1 and 2

Yeah, they're alright. Clearly not as good as I'd hoped, though. :meh:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM
ellipsis . . .

Dog Soldiers

Ghost World

Tamara Drewe -

Gemma Arterton's a decent actress. I didn't notice her talent in that shitfest Quantum of Solace, and I certainly didn't notice how attractive she is before this movie. She's far, far too pale in Quantum--get that woman some sunlight!

I have difficulty seeing any character played by Roger Allam as anything but distilled evil, even though his character in this one isn't, but is just a major sleazebag. This is probably because I was introduced to him in V for Vendetta, and he played his role so well.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
we saw Dark Shadows yesterday. It was not quite as good as I was expecting it to be.

It was better than I expected, though, admittedly, my expectations were rather low.

In Dark Shadows, the Tim Burton send-up of the early 1970s television series of the same name, Johnny Depp played the lead character, Barnabas Collins, who had been entombed for over 200 years before accidentally being unearthed during a construction project. Drama unfolds. Hilarity ensues. Predictability assured. Christopher Lee, who is 90 years old today, made a brief appearance as a fishing fleet captain, a nod to his playing Dracula in a number of films from the late 1950s to the early 1970s. Also making a cameo appearance somewhere in there was Johathan Frid, the actor who played Barnabas Collins in the television series. Frid just died in April, at age 87.

The movie paid homage to pretty much the entirety of the tv series. Accompanying Depp in this movie was Michelle Pfeiffer as the 21st century family matriarch, Eva Green as the antagonist witch Angelique, Jackie Earl Haley as manservant Willie Loomis, Tim Burton's wife Helena Bonham-Carter as the family's psychiatrist, and others, including Chloe Grace Moretz in another Kick-Ass role as the rebellious 15 year old girl, who harbors a secret that doesn't really make a damned bit of difference to the story line and had no place at all in the original series, but okay.

Will Tim Burton ever run out of pancake makeup and black eye shadow or did he buy it in industrial quantities at Costco?

Will Tim Burton ever make a movie without Helena Bonham-Carter in it?

I give it a solid 2.78 stars out of five, worth a watch, but only at matinee prices.
BrotherMan (06-01-2012), freemonkey (06-02-2012), Nullifidian (06-15-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I wanted to see Snow White and the Huntsman until I realized that Charlize Theron, as the evil queen, would be asking the magic mirror if she was the fairest in the land and it would answer "There is another who is more fair, Snow White." I'm not sure I can suspend reality enough to believe Kristen Stewart is prettier than Charlize Theron. Unpossible. However, fair as in lack of exposure to any rays of sunlight either literally or figuratively, okay, I guess that is possible.
Janet (06-01-2012), Nullifidian (06-15-2012), Stormlight (06-01-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 03:38 AM
ellipsis . . .

eXistenZe

It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. I mean it's a David Cronenberg movie, expectations are high.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

I agree with freemonkey, the fight scene wasn't very good, but I did really enjoy Dark Shadows...

The soundtrack was fun, and, well, I like stories about tortured love, I guess.

:thanked:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Having watched a bit of Dark Shadows as a teen, I have to say those plots worked better in a two hour movie than they did dragged out over years of TV time. Also, I recognized David Selby in his cameo, though not Jonathan Frid. I did catch that the whole group at the party were from the original show, but Selby was the only one I picked out individually.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I agree with freemonkey, the fight scene wasn't very good, but I did really enjoy Dark Shadows...

The soundtrack was fun, and, well, I like stories about tortured love, I guess.
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed the soundtrack
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 AM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

the product placement was ridiculous

:thanked:
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
the product placement was ridiculous

"Mephistopheles?"
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
ellipsis . . .

Gangs of New York
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

The Secret World of Arrietty

It was a little slow, but being a Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki film it was also, of course, charming and very beautifully drawn.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-06-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 AM
professional left-winger

Men In Black 3. It was fun and moved quickly. It took me awhile to place the actor who played the villain. Great make-up, but his voice eventually gave him away.
BrotherMan (06-07-2012), Dingfod (06-07-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Prometheus

WARNING: If you are a biologist you may not like yourself after seeing this movie. I'm just saying.

Where did we come from? is a great question for science fiction to ask. Science fiction can play with that idea, have a little bit of fun with it, maybe find a nice answer - or at least encourage readers and viewers to explore the idea for themselves in a sort-of more grounded way than philosophy. One of the imaginative ideas to come along is that of the ancient astronaut. A race of highly advanced explorers who seed certain planets as they gallivant around the galaxy has a romantic feel to it.

It'd be grand if this was the big idea underwriting Prometheus. But as it is, it's only a part of what's going on in the movie. In fact, there seems to be too many competing stories riding through the film. One minute it's every bit as tense and disturbing as Alien, the next it's trying to be a dramatic spy-like movie. The competing genres work against one another making the decent whole less than the sum of the parts.

The acting is solid. Fantastic actors of our day do a great job with what they have. The cinematography is well done. Most everything makes sense when you have all the information; but the stitching of all the parts is a bit ... underwhelming. (Not the editing of the scenes, but the putting together of the parts to the whole.)

If you've been waiting to see this movie, I say go. You won't be that disappointed. There is some let down compared to the build up we've had for the last year, but it's not a bad movie, per se. It's just not the great movie we want. Anyone on the fence about it, wait for the small screen release and On Demand it.
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-12-2012), Sock Puppet (06-11-2012), Stormlight (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Awhile back I picked up a DVD that has Vincent Price's House On Haunted Hill and The Last Man On Earth together on one disc. I've always loved HOHH and mainly got it for that, but whilst bored I finally got around to seeing Last Man.

I wouldn't call it a great film by any stretch, but certainly a good one, for what it is. While I never read I Am Legend, the Internet has told me a kajillion times what the book's "twist" ending is. Said twist is not captured perfectly (it's actually pretty much there, but the film oddly just sort of tosses it out with almost no fanfare and then doesn't explore the implications at all), the Vincent Price film adheres more closely to it than The Omega Man (which lol, I have to see that silly thing again) or the Will Smith film (which lol, I ... don't).

What's most interesting about the film, though, is that it's not so much a horror film as a bleak, saddening character study. I half-expected hamhanded melodrama, but for the most part it was genuinely heart-wrenching. The loss this guy suffers is far more likely to give me nightmares than anything a "scary" film could do. The version I have is not well-restored at all, but the fuzziness of the picture fits the tone perfectly. Glad I saw it, but not in any hurry to see it again.

:sockpuppet:...........

Last edited by Sock Puppet; 06-11-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: "without almost no fanfare." :facepalm:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-11-2012), Janet (06-12-2012), lisarea (06-12-2012), Nullifidian (06-15-2012), SharonDee (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Rock of Ages

It was better than I expected! Tom Cruise was pretty much awesome, even Sou begrudgingly admitted that he was good (Sou is a massive Tom Cruise hater). The plot was pretty much awful like most musicals, but the good music and quality actors made up for it. I wouldn't say quality acting in all cases *coughZeta-Jonescough* but overall the cast and the music made it an enjoyable experience.

I would say that if you grew up in the 80's and don't mind musicals, go see it. You should enjoy it.
Thanks, from:
Leesifer (06-13-2012), lisarea (06-12-2012), SR71 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Prometheus

WARNING: If you are a biologist you may not like yourself after seeing this movie. I'm just saying.
Here is Rob's Prometheus FAQ on Topless Robot. Everything he says is pretty close to right. To boil it down if you're really lazy, he mostly captures the frenetic hodge-podgeness of the movie. It's "pretty and confusing."
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Did we see the same movie? Seriously, I haven't disliked a movie as much as Prometheus in quite awhile.

Rain and a need to wash some clothes drove me out of the woods. While I was in town, I thought I'd catch a movie. Unfortunately, it was Prometheus.

I can forgive the fact that the premise is basically a glorification of ID. [I read an interview with Ridley Scott which made it pretty clear that he's a big believer in Intelligent Design; that explains a lot.] I can, grudgingly, forgive the fact that none of the writers seem to have had anything better than a third-grade-level understanding of evolutionary biology, human anatomy & physiology, genetics, or astronomy. I can even forgive the fact that the movie had so many plot holes that it really should have been called Swiss Cheese: The Movie.

[In fairness, I read somewhere that Ridley Scott intended this to be a 2-part movie. If this is the case, maybe Part 2 will tie up some of the loose ends.]

But what I can't forgive is the fact that virtually every character is really, amazingly, annoyingly, unbelievably stupid. By the halfway point of the movie, I was hoping they'd all get killed, because people that stupid really don't belong in the gene pool.

Practically every plot point depended on the fact that the major characters couldn't scrape together 5 working brain cells between them. Seriously.

The original Alien managed to feature well-defined characters who weren't stupid. But in this movie, the only remotely well-defined character was the android; practically everyone else was a drooling idiot.

What a waste ...
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-15-2012), Crumb (06-16-2012), Dingfod (06-19-2012), Janet (06-20-2012), Kashmir (06-15-2012), lisarea (06-15-2012), livius drusus (06-15-2012), Nullifidian (06-15-2012), Stormlight (07-03-2012), Watser? (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Hi TLR! I hope you're having a great time, Prometheus aside. :ciao:
Old 06-15-2012, 04:05 AM

Thanks! I'm back in the woods tomorrow morning, all cleaned up and ready for more. Tomorrow, I'll be enjoying my very favorite waterfall, Linville Falls, and hiking through Linville Gorge.

Next week, I'll get some time with my favorite 14-year-old.

As always seems to happen to me for some reason, quite a few people have approached me to ask me questions about the local flora and fauna. (This morning, on Grandfather Mountain, I happened to come around a bend in the trail as a young girl asked her father what a certain plant was. "I don't know," he told her, "but I bet he does" he continued, seeing me. So, of course, I told them.)

I wonder how many people over the past couple of weeks have wondered why the nice ranger who answered their questions wasn't wearing a Park Service uniform?

I enjoy helping people, but I'm not quite certain why everyone who sees me hiking along in the woods seems to assume that I'm a park ranger. A couple of days ago, some young woman saw me coming and said to (I presume) her husband, "Oh look, here comes a ranger!" So, naturally, I happily gave them lots of (hopefully) interesting information on the local flora.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-15-2012), Crumb (06-16-2012), Janet (06-20-2012), lisarea (06-15-2012), livius drusus (06-15-2012), Nullifidian (06-15-2012), Stormlight (07-03-2012), Watser? (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Are you wearing your mask, perhaps? Otherwise I guess it's the beard.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-15-2012), Janet (06-20-2012), lisarea (06-15-2012), Pan Narrans (06-15-2012), Stormlight (07-03-2012), The Lone Ranger (06-15-2012), Watser? (06-15-2012), Ymir's blood (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Dear, Mr. The Lone Ranger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Prometheus

There are exactly two scenes in the movie that I had you specifically in mind when I began mentally writing my blort on Prometheus.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. The movie was chock full of flaws from a plethora of angles. Despite it all, I didn't dislike it - though I can't explain exactly why. I did try my damnedest to wave you away from it, though!
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (06-16-2012), Stormlight (10-22-2012), The Lone Ranger (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Those were indeed difficult to swallow, but there was something even worse.

It was at that point that I began actively hoping for these people to die and thus do the gene pool a great big favor.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-15-2012), livius drusus (06-15-2012), Nullifidian (06-16-2012), Pan Narrans (06-15-2012), Watser? (06-15-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature