Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
California Sober

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

You are forgetting the scene in Lost when Ana-Lucia goes all gun crazy on the guy with the baby. But she was still suffering from hysterical ladybititus on accouna having lost her own baby the week before. Women, am I right? :cheesywink:
Adam (07-28-2010), beyelzu (07-28-2010), ChuckF (07-28-2010), chunksmediocrites (08-18-2010), livius drusus (07-28-2010), Naru (07-31-2010), Nullifidian (07-28-2010), The Man (07-29-2010), wei yau (07-28-2010), ZEZOZE (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSOZAZ View Post
when my wife and i were debating this (i was yelling at her as she was cleaning), she mentioned how it's always dudes going overboard with the weapons. i had to admit this seems to be the case, but that's because men like tools. give a man a tool or cool gadget and he's going to want to use it.
:fap:

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 07-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

My brother in law did a big contracting job. The customer ran out of money and refused to pay the final amount, so BIL filed a contractor's lien. Then the customer went to his small town cop friend and reported that BIL had stolen 10K worth of stuff (felony). He never explained how 10k worth of stuff was in an empty house, and the cop didn't investigate, just took the report and went to the small town police chief to get an arrest warrant. Police Chief (good cop) says um, no, there is no evidence at all, and this list of supposed stolen items couldn't add up to 10k even if the government was buying it.

So cop goes to the mayor. Mayor signs the warrant. BIL and his partner are arrested in their homes and jailed overnight.

They get to trial eventually, and the cop admits on the stand that the whole thing was an insurance scam...somehow the customer would get reimbursed the 10k if there was a police report and arrest.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-28-2010), Caligulette (07-29-2010), Dingfod (07-28-2010), Kael (07-30-2010), lisarea (07-28-2010), Naru (07-31-2010), Nullifidian (07-28-2010), The Man (07-29-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSOZAZ View Post
tpretty soon we'll have police that are mentally challenged.
You would make a good cop, now that you mention it.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
My brother in law did a big contracting job. The customer ran out of money and refused to pay the final amount, so BIL filed a contractor's lien. Then the customer went to his small town cop friend and reported that BIL had stolen 10K worth of stuff (felony). He never explained how 10k worth of stuff was in an empty house, and the cop didn't investigate, just took the report and went to the small town police chief to get an arrest warrant. Police Chief (good cop) says um, no, there is no evidence at all, and this list of supposed stolen items couldn't add up to 10k even if the government was buying it.

So cop goes to the mayor. Mayor signs the warrant. BIL and his partner are arrested in their homes and jailed overnight.

They get to trial eventually, and the cop admits on the stand that the whole thing was an insurance scam...somehow the customer would get reimbursed the 10k if there was a police report and arrest.
Well, there you go, intellectual cop. If that cop was stupid, he'd have just done something different and better, but completely unspecific, it'll just be better because he'd big and stupid like all cops should be and not girly nerd types who deserve every bit of shit they got in high school and I don't care if they got the last laugh by having a better life than me now.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
girly nerd types who deserve every bit of shit they got in high school and I don't care if they got the last laugh by having a better life than me now.
actually, they're better suited to paying cops than playing cops.

beyelzu (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ 浪人 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is there a thread of links recognizing heroic actions or sacrifices made by police officers here on this board?
You could start one? :dunno:
What would that reflect, up to this point in the conversation, about the general consensus here at FF?
Everything.
Ah, the games, very nice.
You seem to have a tendency imagine things.

Curious.

Quote:
Can you elaborate?
Yes.

You would at least have a basis for your opinions and characterizations.

--J.D.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Quote:
I didn't draw any conclusions
Yes, you did. In your very first post in this thread, as you clarified later.
Quote:
and asked a fair question regarding whether or not there were other threads within my simple observation that has garnered so much defensive rancor.
That ain't rancor. Stick around long enough, and you'll see what rancor on this board looks like. Just wait until godfry gets going on cell phones or something.
(emphasis mine)

I don't follow.

Here is a look at my first post in this thread.

Now, if you were referring to my second post making an off-handed observation (free from conclusive certainty) specifically regarding LadyShea's critique of the opposing mindset and the implication that similarly one-sided expressions are kind of found here as well...a rather benign (imho) expression that drew so many moths to the flame, here it is again for your review:

"Kind of like what we're doing here but in reverse."

To me that is far from a conclusion, just an observation. An effort that even I am an admitted participant.

Many of the subsequent responses are heavy on strawman arguments and non-sequitur...which actually serve to enhance the original point I was making in response to LadyShea's specific observation regarding the singular behavior of others of the contrasting view.

As for the quantified perception of rancor on this particular board...brother...I am more than experienced.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Oh. So you're going to start some "Honoring Our Brave Heroes in Law Enforcement" thread as a fairness doctrine response to a thread about police brutality?
He as every right to do so, and the thread can live and die as all threads can on :ff:

Quote:
Do you actually believe that you can counter examples of egregious misconduct and injustice with anecdotes about
Why are the "egregious misconduct" posted "examples," and whatever he posts merely "anecdotes?"

Quote:
Like you're going to show the other side of the coin, as if that somehow mitigates the abuses of power in this thread?
I am not certain he has implied that, but he may have tried to suggest that this thread presents an unjust generalization--such as posting incidents of racism in Schenectady which serve to imply that everyone in Schenectady are racist.

You may, of course, disagree with that. As he can disagree with the tenor of the thread. You can, in rebuttal to the thread he starts, post statistics and actual data to demonstrate that your "examples" demonstrate a general trend rather than "anecdotes" of "abuses of power," whilst his "examples" are merely "anecdotes," et cetera.

Quote:
Your arguments aren't so much 'controversial' as they are just stupid and reactionary.
Yet you seem reactionary to his posting?

Make no mistake: my "dog in this fight" is consistency. You--and anyone else--has a right to post this thread, add to it, discuss, et cetera. He has a right to try to rebut it if he wishes and can. To simply condemn his attempts is as vain as his simple condemnations. Hence my suggestion he start a thread to discover whether or not his generalizations of the minds of forumites are justified.

:themoreyouknow:

--J.D.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is there a thread of links recognizing heroic actions or sacrifices made by police officers here on this board?
You could start one? :dunno:
What would that reflect, up to this point in the conversation, about the general consensus here at FF?
Everything.
Ah, the games, very nice.
You seem to have a tendency imagine things.

Curious.

Quote:
Can you elaborate?
Yes.

You would at least have a basis for your opinions and characterizations.

--J.D.
Good stuff, you've a great handle on mechanisms. In my younger days, I'd probably chase you down that rabbit hole. Time, as it happens, isn't on my side much these days so I'll have to leave you here.

After all is said and done, re-reading the thread in this chronology, it does look like we've begun to explore some nuances that were going unexamined.

To me, that is a good thing.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, I stand corrected. Yes, I was referring to your second.

Quote:
Now, if you were referring to my second post making an off-handed observation (free from conclusive certainty) specifically regarding LadyShea's critique of the opposing mindset and the implication that similarly one-sided expressions are kind of found here as well...a rather benign (imho) expression that drew so many moths to the flame, here it is again for your review:

To me that is far from a conclusion, just an observation. An effort that even I am an admitted participant.
Fair enough, I still disagree.

Quote:
As for the quantified perception of rancor on this particular board...brother...I am more than experienced.
If you're really Ronin, then yes, indeed. Which makes characterizing a few requests for clarification and some disagreement with your perceptions regarding this thread as "rancor" more puzzling, not less.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
That article makes some excellent points

Quote:
The 31 gunfire deaths so far this year are up from 22 in the first six months of last year. But I wonder what evidence O’Donnell has that would cause him to attribute an additional nine officer deaths among 900,000 active duty cops to an “unprecedented level of disrespect” and a sweeping trend of “scathing criticism” of cops on the Internet. I don’t know of a single case last year where there was evidence that an officer’s murder could be traced back to anger or resentment on a web forum. I obviously haven’t looked into all 31 officer shootings, but if there was even a hint of a suggestion that the Internet motivated someone to kill a cop, it’s the sort of salacious detail the media would have lapped up and obsessed over for days. And we’d need quite a few of those incidents to make a trend.
Look, I do appreciate those officers that do what they should do, which I believe is the majority. I wrote a post in the 2 minutes love thread about one.

In my opinion, though, every good officer should damn well be encouraging criticism, investigation, and prosecution of that smaller group of brutal assholes that somehow make it into uniform.
I wholeheartedly agree!

You should know that those weren't just random cases posted in my first thread.

That said, since I have been able to go back in time and research your other posts regarding this particular topic, I can see a broader context which brings resolution to my unintentionally inflammatory musings.

I should have been more considerate and diligent in gate keeping my comments.

It is, as always, my hope that many others recognize the strength of your emphasized perspective which really does provide support and encouragement for those who live within that pressure cooker.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Good stuff, you've a great handle on mechanisms. In my younger days, I'd probably chase you down that rabbit hole.
It seems you dig a lot of holes and crawl into them, then wonder why you are in a hole.

Quote:
After all is said and done, re-reading the thread in this chronology, . . .
Probably would have been better to have done that in the first place, else you would post what others have already written.

I gather you are not going to start such a thread? Then I can only assume you will no longer complain that one does not exist.

--J.D.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Oh. So you're going to start some "Honoring Our Brave Heroes in Law Enforcement" thread as a fairness doctrine response to a thread about police brutality?
Though, to be fair, it appears he lacks the courage to do so and provide evidence for his previous accusations.

So he really does not have a basis for further complaint.

--J.D.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Oh, just for reference, ~ 浪人, Doctor X is an idiot. You'd find out eventually.

Thanks, from:
Adam (07-28-2010), Naru (07-31-2010), Nullifidian (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, I stand corrected. Yes, I was referring to your second.

Quote:

Fair enough, I still disagree.

Quote:
If you're really Ronin, then yes, indeed. Which makes characterizing a few requests for clarification and some disagreement with your perceptions regarding this thread as "rancor" more puzzling, not less.
Well, that is certainly one of my more charming trademarked qualities.

...so I've been told.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Wow, this trend of old :ff: members returning semi-anonymously as socks is gaining some real momentum. godfry should have gone this route too. Then again, he'd be hilariously bad at it. That, of course, isn't a downside.

Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-30-2010), Clutch Munny (08-13-2010), Dingfod (07-28-2010), Kael (07-30-2010), lisarea (07-28-2010), Naru (07-31-2010), Nullifidian (07-28-2010), teasasue (07-28-2010), The Man (07-29-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (07-29-2010), wei yau (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

The Economist has a great overview of this problem and why it keeps getting worse. A choice excerpt:
Quote:
Justice is harsher in America than in any other rich country. Between 2.3m and 2.4m Americans are behind bars, roughly one in every 100 adults. If those on parole or probation are included, one adult in 31 is under “correctional” supervision. As a proportion of its total population, America incarcerates five times more people than Britain, nine times more than Germany and 12 times more than Japan. Overcrowding is the norm. Federal prisons house 60% more inmates than they were designed for. State lock-ups are only slightly less stuffed.

The system has three big flaws, say criminologists. First, it puts too many people away for too long. Second, it criminalises acts that need not be criminalised. Third, it is unpredictable. Many laws, especially federal ones, are so vaguely written that people cannot easily tell whether they have broken them.

In 1970 the proportion of Americans behind bars was below one in 400, compared with today’s one in 100. Since then, the voters, alarmed at a surge in violent crime, have demanded fiercer sentences. Politicians have obliged. New laws have removed from judges much of their discretion to set a sentence that takes full account of the circumstances of the offence. Since no politician wants to be tarred as soft on crime, such laws, mandating minimum sentences, are seldom softened. On the contrary, they tend to get harder.
Meanwhile, the city council of Hawthorne, CA will be voting on a $300,000 settlement for a Tasered autistic teenager, who was twelve at the time of the Tasering.

Finally, this hit and run is lovely. I doubt anything would've been done about it if it hadn't been caught on a surveillance camera. One of the rare cases where surveillance actually leads to a positive outcome: the officer and his partner who assisted him are being charged with assault, reckless driving and leaving the scene of the accident.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 07-29-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-29-2010), Caligulette (07-30-2010), lisarea (07-29-2010), Nullifidian (07-29-2010), viscousmemories (08-17-2010), Watser? (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM
you're next

prison is big business in the united states. lots of money to be made housing prisoners and they make for cheap labour.

i wonder who will write your gulag archipelago?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

JoeP (07-30-2010), Nullifidian (07-30-2010), The Man (07-30-2010), Watser? (07-29-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Oh, just for reference, ~ 浪人, Doctor X is an idiot. You'd find out eventually.
An idiot, you say?

And we started out so civil and polite.

In the same league as In Christ, Douglas or my dear late colleague, Eternal...I wonder with heartfelt skepticism.

Ah, no matter, I'm sure even with this knowledge you have imparted to me, Doctor X and I will get along...well, just fabulously.

:cool:
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Woman forced to go through childbirth chained to a bed, even after doctor requested the restraints be removed.

Sheriff's deputies illegally search a house in violation of the Fourth Amendment, are caught on tape making up excuses later.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-30-2010), LadyShea (07-30-2010), lisarea (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

&feature=player_embedded
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Ah, no matter, I'm sure even with this knowledge you have imparted to me, Doctor X and I will get along...well, just fabulously.
Apparently his hindquarters are still sore from what I did to him prior to concluding he proves an unctuous, craven, and willfully ignorant waste of time.

Knew I should have used a lubricant. . . . :darn:

--J.D.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium