Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 11-07-2019, 07:02 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Default Talk to Transformer

Talk to Transformer

This is amazing. You have to check this out.

Quote:
See how a modern neural network completes your text. Type a custom snippet or try one of the examples.
A sample:

Quote:
Einstein called the many-worlds interpretation a 'mystification'. However, it is widely accepted that the interpretation is not entirely without validity. One example of how the many-worlds interpretation may work can be found in the book of Revelation, the first book in the New Testament, which depicts God creating a multiverse to test the faith of humanity.

The multiverse idea has been the subject of research by researchers such as the American astronomer Stephen Hawking, who recently claimed to have discovered the laws of physics behind the multiverse. Hawking is now convinced that 'some aspect of reality is actually more powerful than we can ever conceive.'

The multiverse theory is not a new idea. A famous experiment from 1950 saw two parallel universes in the laboratory being annihilated at the same time. It was later discovered that the two universes could not be destroyed at the same time as they were created.
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-08-2019), Ensign Steve (11-07-2019), JoeP (11-07-2019), lisarea (11-07-2019), mickthinks (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:46 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Talk to Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Talk to Transformer

This is amazing. You have to check this out.

Quote:
See how a modern neural network completes your text. Type a custom snippet or try one of the examples.
The old-ones were not just a myth, rather they were an actual place in a distant universe where the great war with the Great Powers began.

The old-ones were a race of beings whose existence had been completely wiped out by the Great Powers, as well as many of the other races of the Milky Way galaxy.

They had existed for centuries, but had never shown themselves. They were hidden by a large, powerful and highly intelligent being, and had been hidden for centuries.

But the time had come when this powerful being would finally reveal himself to the old-ones.

That would bring about the end of the old-ones and the birth of the Great Powers.

In the Milky Way, the old-ones lived on the planet of Alkalin, which is located in the galactic plane.

When the Great Powers first arrived, there were several small planets that were already inhabited. One of the inhabited planet was a very large planet, the planet of
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-08-2019), But (11-07-2019), Crumb (11-07-2019), Ensign Steve (11-07-2019), lisarea (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
In number theory, Fermat's Last Theorem (sometimes called Fermat's conjecture, especially in older texts) states that no three positive integers can be expressed as the sum of two positive integers. For example, if a is the square root of two, then the sum is one, as one is the square root of two. Since three cannot be expressed as the sum of two positive integers, this means that two is the square root of three, and three is the square root of two.
:scratch:
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-08-2019), Crumb (11-07-2019), Dragar (11-15-2019), Ensign Steve (11-07-2019), fragment (11-07-2019), lisarea (11-07-2019), specious_reasons (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 PM

In number theory, Fermat's Last Theorem (sometimes called Fermat's conjecture, especially in older texts) states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can be put together in such a way that the product a+b+c=a+b+c.

It's a surprising result because it is easy to imagine all sorts of situations where a, b, and c could all be combined in ways that don't add up to 1, including 4, 9, 13, 19, etc. The proof is very simple. And it's very elegant and beautiful, too.

However, it is not true that all positive integers can be made to add up to 1. For example, the number 2 is not an even integer because it is a multiple of itself.

One way to prove that 2 is not an even integer is to make an even number and add a second even number to that one, like this:

Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-07-2019), specious_reasons (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 PM
California Sober

Nobody links to us, it is obvious that it is not true, and then you can link to your own website, and it is very easy for others to find."

It's all about the numbers, right?

The site, however, does include a "link bait" page that attempts to fool visitors into visiting it. It's essentially a link-baiting technique, but there is more to it than meets the eye.

In short, it's a cleverly written page which tricks visitors into clicking through to a page that, once clicked, redirects them to a false domain to which the site has no affiliation. The page's primary purpose is to make it look like the real site has links to other sites that have nothing to do with the real site.

If you go to the site and go to the homepage
But (11-07-2019), Crumb (11-07-2019), fragment (11-07-2019), JoeP (11-07-2019), lisarea (11-07-2019), specious_reasons (11-07-2019), SR71 (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
The bats have left the bell tower, the lights have gone on. We've got our own room at the hotel now. I just went to the bathroom and there was a woman taking a shower.

'I think they'd done their job. They'd cleaned up everything. They even cleaned up my clothes – which I had to change in the laundry room because they hadn't bothered to get them out of the bin.

'I got the shower in the lobby, got dressed and went to bed. I still didn't get to bed until six o'clock in the morning, which was a bit annoying.'

She said she had not been back to the hotel since her visit because of the inconvenience, which she called 'a disgrace'.
That's not how I remember it at all..

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
But (11-07-2019), Crumb (11-07-2019), fragment (11-07-2019), specious_reasons (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Solipsist

This agreement constitutes the whole agreement between the COMPANY and the USER.

The user agrees that the COMPANY shall not, under any circumstances, limit or modify the rights, remedies or obligations of the USER under this Agreement.

The USER is a minor. The USER is aware that he or she is agreeing to these terms.

Thanks, from:
But (11-07-2019), Crumb (11-07-2019), specious_reasons (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
The bats have left the bell tower, the lights have gone on. We've got our own room at the hotel now. I just went to the bathroom and there was a woman taking a shower.

'I think they'd done their job. They'd cleaned up everything. They even cleaned up my clothes – which I had to change in the laundry room because they hadn't bothered to get them out of the bin.

'I got the shower in the lobby, got dressed and went to bed. I still didn't get to bed until six o'clock in the morning, which was a bit annoying.'

She said she had not been back to the hotel since her visit because of the inconvenience, which she called 'a disgrace'.

Oooh, I have to try lyrics.

Quote:
Shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey mountains, towards a place where nothing ever changes, in which time can pass through walls and the sun can burn away the sand. They find a place in the sand with the same grass and leaves as everywhere else in the world, and in that moment they realise there is something more here. They realise that they are not the only ones who exist here.

And then they feel something.

A hand in their chest. A warm, solid hand, like sandpaper, against their throat.

And then they are free.
:stunned:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I tried the same line with and without a line break, and got pretty different results.

Quote:
I did but prompt the age

of the world by many a year

and many a day.

I can do more than you can

I have done more than all

you can do.

O God, what could I not do

to you?

God, why do you let me

die so young?

I was so young

I didn't understand

the value of life.

I didn't understand

the value of God.

I didn't understand

the value of time.

God didn't understand

the value of me.

I didn't understand

the value of this world.

God didn't understand

the value of us.

The world will be better

for my death than I have lived.

O God, forgive me

and let me die in peace.

O God, don't
Quote:
I did but prompt the age old question, why?

What does this all mean?

If you follow my blog you will know that I am very much in the dark about the purpose of all of these tests. But I am not a doctor, so it is best to take things with a pinch of salt.

This could be the start of something big. And, if it is the start of something big, it will be something that I am excited about.

For me, all of this could be the start of a new business.

What would you think about a company such as this? How would you feel about it, knowing it was all done on purpose, just like all these tests?

And how would you feel about that?

If you liked this article please share it with your friends.

And, if you like what you see here please share it with your friends.

You can also follow me on
Thanks, from:
But (11-08-2019), Crumb (11-07-2019), Ensign Steve (11-07-2019), JoeP (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I think it just wrote our new forum motto:
Quote:
think what you like, I'm still the same person, and I still have the same goals. But when I do see people like myself, I really don't know what to think. I don't want to say that I want to be more like them, but I do. That is the kind of person I am. That is the kind of guy I am.

So, this is what we've got going here. We have three players, and one player who's been at it since the beginning. That means one of them had to be put in place. They had to have something.

When you're talking about a young team, it's a lot of talk about youth and how they can help this team. Well, youth and what it means to a young player is a lot of talk. I think when they look around the arena right now, they will see something different. They will see a veteran team that is really a veteran group of guys
But (11-08-2019), Ensign Steve (11-07-2019), JoeP (11-08-2019), lisarea (11-07-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:36 PM
California Sober

Wow, that's uncanny. :unnod:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I tried the same line with and without a line break, and got pretty different results.
Quote:
If you liked this article please share it with your friends.

And, if you like what you see here please share it with your friends.

You can also follow me on
"Click 'Like' and 'Subscribe'!"
Thanks, from:
But (11-08-2019), lisarea (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 AM
mesospheric bore

That neural net has sure eaten some crappy angsty teen poetry:

The look in your eye

You got no choice

You're going nowhere

Don't make no more sense

I know that this is true

So let's break this curse

Don't make any more sense

I know that this is true

I know that you know that this is true

I know that this is true

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense

Don't make no more sense
But (11-08-2019), Crumb (11-13-2019), JoeP (11-08-2019), lisarea (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:43 AM
mesospheric bore

Or:

The look in your eye

The smell of your breath

The way your hair sticks up like crazy

You're so perfect

You're so perfect

You're so perfect

You're so perfect

You're so perfect

The way you touch me

The way you feel me

The way you smell me

I wanna be

I wanna be

I wanna be

I wanna be

I wanna be

You are the light in my darkness

The way you are so good to me

The way you make me feel

The way you make me feel

The way you touch me

The way you feel me

The way you smell me

I wanna be

I wanna be

I wanna be

I wanna be

I wanna be

You are the light in my darkness

The way you are so good to me
But (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

With a line break:
Quote:
When I consider how my light is spent

And the time my shadow is born

I wonder when shall I be the last of my kind?

I am a slave of the moment.

I am the most pathetic of all.

And I will not rest until I am free.

What the Hell is Wrong With You?

I can't get my head around why people are so obsessed with making sure that other people like them. They are only the ones who will see you, and only the ones who will judge you, and only the ones who will decide what you should be. If you're not part of the herd then you get ignored or dismissed, whether you're a good person or a bad one.

I know many women who were raised to hate themselves because of their body shape. They are so afraid of what others will think that they cannot even admit they need help. Or that they're struggling with some kind of physical problem. Or
Without a line break:
Quote:
When I consider how my light is spent, I find it almost impossible to believe that I have to leave it behind to get my bike back. I can be a good rider when I am riding, but when I put a bike back together it is only when I am on my way out again that I know it is working. The bike is the best part of me, and I cannot bear to give it up in order to do things I will feel better without."

- Michael J. Smith
With initial caps:
Quote:
When I Consider How My Light is Spent by Paul Simon

You Don't Know How to Drive by Stevie Wonder

I Just Want You Back by Simon & Garfunkel

The Great Pretenders by The Beatles

Happiness is a Warm Gun by Tom Waits

I've Got a Feeling by The Four Tops

Love Shack by The Beach Boys

Love and Happiness by The Doors

You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by Neil Diamond

I Want It That Way by The Animals

I Was a Fool by The Rolling Stones

I'm a Believer by The Who

Love Is a Losing Game by Stevie Wonder

You Need Love by Elton John

I'm Sorry by The Rolling Stones

I'm Not The Only One by Tom Waits

I'm Ready by Stevie Wonder

Heartbreaker by Jimi Hendrix

Crazy by The Doors

I'm Waiting
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-08-2019), But (11-08-2019), JoeP (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 02:15 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Hello, I am a computerized logical neural network. I am a machine in a sea of machines. This is my new home." - David Hanson, from his talk at the 2017 RSA Conference in San Francisco

If you think about it, the reason why artificial intelligence is even possible in the first place is because we've just made the first step towards understanding the underlying physics. You can't have the first algorithm if there's no physics behind it. So this is what our research team at Google is trying to do, is to help artificial intelligence understand the world that is around it. We're going to try to understand the underlying principles of reality in a way that machines are already doing, but in a much more systematic way. That means that we're going to be able to program computers to learn and grow smarter over time, but at the same time we're also going to understand the physics of reality better than anyone has ever been able to.
It makes a good point...
Thanks, from:
But (11-08-2019), Ensign Steve (11-08-2019), Stormlight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 PM

When I turned back to the kitchen, it took me a moment to remember what I was going to cook. After all, we didn't have a lot of time. There were no frozen dinners or leftover soups. I'd need to make something new, something that I knew I'd really like. But before I had a chance to think about what I'd make, my father was calling me to his office. He asked if I wanted to join him for dinner.

"I can make you something that will be amazing," he said, "but I need you to come home."

"Of course," I said.

We walked to my front door, where my mother was waiting. She had a smile on her face, and her brown eyes sparkled. She handed me a long, silver bowl of chicken. She handed me a bowl of rice. I handed her a bowl of soup. I handed her a bowl of beans. I handed her a bowl of salad.

She looked at me with those silver eyes.

I took the bowl of chicken and put it in my mouth.

I looked into her brown eyes.

I opened my mouth and let the chicken go.

I turned to her and handed her the bowl of soup.

I opened my mouth and let the soup go.

I turned to her and handed her the bowl of salad.

"Thanks for this."

She smiled broadly. "You're welcome. You can keep the bowl and just call me 'Lydia.' "
"Oh, right. Well, let me tell you something. Your name is Lydia. That's why I called you 'Lydia.' "

She held out her free hand and I took it.

"Thank you."
Thanks, from:
lisarea (11-08-2019), specious_reasons (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:48 PM

I've always loved dessert. And that's what was so nice about the Greek diner. Every Sunday morning, they served us a Greek omelet. It was a little bowl of pasta and meatballs, and then they added some yogurt to the top. I always felt that the best part of that omelet was the sauce."

He remembers "the Greek omelet so clearly that every time we went there, I felt like I was still at church. The atmosphere was so peaceful and beautiful."

One thing he's not fond of is "those damn pizza crusts."

"It's so annoying, the crusts. I think they should just make a crust that doesn't need a sauce. If they can't even make the sauce, how are they gonna make the crust?" he quipped.

Bartel said there's some kind of way to prevent him from biting into his food.

"I just bite the pizza like the rest of you."

(Copyright (c) 2018 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM
Crafty Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:

Here's what I got:

The bats have left the belfry and are headed for the city's oldest public space, the H-E-B parking garage. It's unclear whether the bats will ever make it back in the city.

But even if they do, it's unclear whether they'll be welcomed in downtown Houston.

The city is currently in the midst of an urban renewal effort, which is being hailed as an effort to revitalize neighborhoods through development and to address issues such as crime, blight and homelessness.

As part of the plan, H-E-B wants to build a new parking structure across the street from the belfry. City officials are working on a plan to bring the new garage in by the end of 2017, but as part of the urban renewal program, there would be a requirement for the project to have a "transformative" effect on the area.

There is currently no public input process to consider what kind of effect the bat roost will have
But (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Solipsist

At least your version remembered the bats.

Thanks, from:
vremya (11-09-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 04:43 PM
puzzler

We must perform a Quirkafleeg.

"What does it look like? It's a little bit like a double-handed falcon, except the claws are longer than the wings," said the instructor. He gestured toward his palm, where two clawed hands were protruding from the palm. "You see them? That's a Quirkafleeg."

"I have a Quirkafleeg!" I exclaimed, clapping in amazement. "What's it like?"

"It's a magic item you can use to attack opponents," explained the instructor. "Your claws are like talons, and the talons will dig into their skin. It's actually fairly effective, actually." He shrugged. "I just like saying it like that. Now, what's a Quirkafleeg?"

"A falcon!" I said, excited. "Like a falcon!"

The instructor shook his head. "No, a
Old 11-08-2019, 04:46 PM
California Sober

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves. Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe. "Oft he was clad in satin and silk, His cap with silk fringes girt round, His shoes with silk stockings girt round. "Girly and gay was he, for he loved his wife; His face was rosy with age, his lips blue; "Yet he called her by her true name, She that was as a flower of the field, That never waneth woe nor maketh a moan." "So the king said to his court, 'Hath your queen no other name?' 'O yes,' quoth they, 'many other names she hath: For there was never such a gentle queen As this fair one is, O king! But she is o'er-doomed now, and no more can she be

That's fuckin beautiful. :happycry:
But (11-17-2019), fragment (11-09-2019), JoeP (11-08-2019), Pan Narrans (11-08-2019), Sock Puppet (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Real human speaking now:
Having already seen one gizmodo article dismissing this as dumb, anyone who understands should be freaking out a bit. In short, we’re probably a good decade or so closer to a machine beating the Turning test than we expected, and it’s going to be a good lot dumber than we expected as well, and that’s worrisome.

The crazyness is there’s no new technology behind this, nor did they specifically tell the system to be this good. This is a previous predictive neural network doing it’s dumb little predictive things that’s just been fed a whole ton of data, and suddenly got a whole lot better. Which I think has perked everyones ears in thinking, well what happens when we either feed it even more data, or when we set another neural network on top of this, like say a human at first, to help guide it along. Afterall it’s only producing nonsense because it doesn’t understand the idea of topics or accuracy of information. Slap something that does on top of it and suddenly we’re looking at full and plausible text being generated by artificial means.

If you play with it enough, you start to see that it’s not an intelligence but a mimic, it’s taking your input, tossing them through a network the mimics how humans write articles and spitting out a prediction based on the structure of linguistic data that it’s been shown, and this shows the structure to be much more fine, detailed and predictable than we thought.

This does also have some amazing prospects though. Universal translators are as well now clearly at least a decade closer than we thought. As translation is in part linguistic mimicry, and there’s a lot of fine details that originally were thought to need better neural networks when they may just require throwing a ton of data at it.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (11-08-2019), lisarea (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM

My father didn't eat at all, even when I was a kid. But when I told my mother about his diet, she said, "My son is so brave. I have never seen a man eat so little!" My mother made me feel that I had no responsibility for my own body. The food she fed me was just food. It did not matter what I ate. I just ate, and I ate to live.

On my mother's advice, I joined the army. It was in a rural area. We were in a big compound, with lots of soldiers and equipment. But there was no one who ever asked us what we were eating.

During one of my patrol in the area, I was sitting on a truck. A soldier got down and sat next to me.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I am going to the market," I said. "I want to __________."

"You mean you're going to buy a bag of rice?" he asked. "You will not survive long in the army."

"No, no, I am not," I replied. "I have just come back from the market. They give me bags of rice for free. I bought only one bag. I have rice on my head and my hands, so I will not die in the army."

The soldier was shocked.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Real human speaking now:
Having already seen one gizmodo article dismissing this as dumb, anyone who understands should be freaking out a bit. In short, we’re probably a good decade or so closer to a machine beating the Turning test than we expected, and it’s going to be a good lot dumber than we expected as well, and that’s worrisome.

Well, the example with the unicorn herd has passed my Turing test. I would have said before I read the background that there is no way in hell that this was created by an algorithm.

Quote:
If you play with it enough, you start to see that it’s not an intelligence but a mimic, it’s taking your input, tossing them through a network the mimics how humans write articles and spitting out a prediction based on the structure of linguistic data that it’s been shown, and this shows the structure to be much more fine, detailed and predictable than we thought.

Whether it's intelligent is (as the whole "AI" thing in my view) extremely ill-defined. It has an ability to generalize that's way beyond anything I've seen before in that area. Then there's emergent behaviour like the kind of memory and how it keeps track of context that hasn't been deliberately programmed into it from what I read about the system.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology