Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome

Old 06-04-2005, 05:32 AM
Ich bin Schnappi das kliene Krokodil

Default Smilie request for Gurdur

I think a grimacing smilie that shakes his head and then pulls out a gigantic big official badge would be a perfect representation of Gurdur. :giggle: One of you smiliesmiths make it happen.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Person

heh, heh. That one could actually be quite useful in other places.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Smilie request for Gurdur

The sexuality forum.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:32 AM
Person

um, no, believe it or not, I really am not like that.

But I am admin of another board, and having a smiley like that might be useful there, at least for the sheer humour.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaman
I think a grimacing smilie that shakes his head and then pulls out a gigantic big official badge would be a perfect representation of Gurdur. :giggle: One of you smiliesmiths make it happen.
That would be a great smiley, but I really don't think I could do it justice. Your best bet is that Zikes will pass by and take pity on your blatant need for validation.

(P.S. - Nice to see you posting. Where you been, sugarpie?)

Last edited by livius drusus; 06-04-2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: to quote who I was talking to
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
That would be a great smiley, but I really don't think I could do it justice. Your best bet is that Zikes will pass by and take pity on your blatant need for validation.
Oh, I'm sure he will.

Quote:
(P.S. - Nice to see you posting. Where you been, sugarpie?)
At a conference 3500kms away for all the high-ranking officers in my Corps. My input - as can be imagined - was terribly significant. I also wore the wrong uniform, as if being the only LT present didn't make me stand out enough. I do, however, believe I may very well have changed a word in our doctrine on a specific page in a specific manual from "intelligence" to "information".

I imagine the Governer-General will be by any day to present me with my Order of Australia medal.

:medal:
Old 06-07-2005, 10:26 AM

I don't think that smiley would be a perfect representation of Gurdur at all. But he sure could have some fun using it. :yup:
Old 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I do, however, believe I may very well have changed a word in our doctrine on a specific page in a specific manual from "intelligence" to "information".
You mean they took one look at you in your desert fatigues and decided intelligence was clearly not applicable?

Quote:
I imagine the Governer-General will be by any day to present me with my Order of Australia medal.
He he... You have a Governer-General. :mock:
Old 06-08-2005, 02:35 AM

oh shut up! At least we don't have a President Bush. :P
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Good point.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:58 AM

I'll take that hit.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 AM

:smugnod:
Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Don't take it too easily... They may not have a chimp-in-chief, but they still have Bansai Johnny, who, according to my Aussie sources, ain't much better.

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 06-08-2005 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:08 AM

Bugger, godfry has a point.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

:smugnod:
Old 06-08-2005, 03:14 AM

And we can't even get rid of him after two terms.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 AM

Yeah, but ours are procreating...or is it replicating?

All in the family, as it were. There are more Bushes in the bushes.

"Tea break's over! Everybody back on your heads!"
Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 AM

Eh, I don't mind Johnnie and never have. He's going in to bat for us for the whales, which was unexpected and quite cool.

I still think Kevin Rudd needs to be PM, though, in spite of him being a Christian :P
Old 06-08-2005, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Eh, I don't mind Johnnie and never have. He's going in to bat for us for the whales, which was unexpected and quite cool.

I still think Kevin Rudd needs to be PM, though, in spite of him being a Christian :P
So... Tell me about Rudd. Rough outline would be fine.

are we any closer to having that smiley...the one for Gurdur...remember?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:22 AM

I figure the more inanity used to bump the thread, the more likely Zikes will see the OP and take pity IAW liv's predictions.

Rudd is probably the most intelligent and certainly most articulate minister in Parliament I think. He is the shadow foreign minister and the Foreign Minister Alex Downer never ever goes head to head with him in interviews. I saw him do it once last year and Rudd handed him his ass.

Rudd is basically one of the very few Australian politicians who doesn't need to punctuate every fifth syllable with an "Ah" or "um". His only vice is the fact that he has the appearance and demeanour of a Liberal (which are almost kinda conservative here, we're a bit backwards) but he's sitting in the Labor party (which style themselves more as the working man's party) so he's not necessarily his party base's ideal pick.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Ah... So he's in opposition. In the shadow cabinet. A Labour member. Younger? What's his background, that he's a Labour member?

Are you saying he might be too polished for the Labour electorate? Doesn't election to the government depend upon swing districts selecting a Labour representative over others and given that the Liberals have held sway for over five years now, wouldn't an appeal to those just outside the usual Labour fold mean the possible difference between a Liberal government and a Labour government? Or, would it take a considerable swing before you'd be out of some kind of coalition government?

Then... How are ministerial assignments made within a new government? Doesn't it depend upon seniority within the party structure, as well as skill within the specific area of expertise? Then, once assigned, are ministries ever reassigned between elections? If so, why?

As an American watching from the sidelines, I've always appreciated that a parliamentary government could lose confidence and be swept out in the blinking of an eye and elections are thankfully cribbed to a limited (and blessedly short) period of time. On the negative side, I perceive that multiple parties within such a system gives inordinate power to splinter groups when the major parties are relatively evenly split and that coalition governments can be political nightmares.

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 06-08-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad
Ah... So he's in opposition. In the shadow cabinet. A Labour member. Younger? What's his background, that he's a Labour member?
To be honest I'm not really sure about his history. A limited official profile is here ---> http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=83T

Quote:
Are you saying he might be too polished for the Labour electorate? Doesn't election to the government depend upon swing districts selecting a Labour representative over others and given that the Liberals have held sway for over five years now, wouldn't an appeal to those just outside the usual Labour fold mean the possible difference between a Liberal government and a Labour government? Or, would it take a considerable swing before you'd be out of some kind of coalition government?
Well see the problem in Australia is the we're largely apathetic folk who fear change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is a fairly common slogan in various campaigns for various things, for instance republic vs monarchy. So while Rudd's appeal might indeed extend to some of the Liberal supporters, Australia isn't really polarised by any stretch of the imagination into Liberal vs Labor. It's more Change vs Non-Change.

Quote:
Then... How are ministerial assignments made within a new government? Doesn't it depend upon seniority within the party structure, as well as skill within the specific area of expertise? Then, once assigned, are ministries ever reassigned between elections? If so, why?
Yes, ministries get shuffled about all the time. Mostly it's because someone just got smashed in the press and the PM needs to take action. There are certainly some portfolios which are more demanding and always have senior figures, the treasury is the big one, probably followed by foreign affairs.

Quote:
As an American watching from the sidelines, I've always appreciated that a parliamentary government could lose confidence and be swept out in the blinking of an eye and elections are thankfully cribbed to a limited (and blessedly short) period of time. On the negative side, I perceive that multiple parties within such a system gives inordinate power to splinter groups when the major parties are relatively evenly split and that coalition governments can be political nightmares.
Certainly these are issues. More concerning - or at least potentially concerning - is the fact that the Senate is there to more coldly ponder the legislation handed down by the House of Representative hot-heads. As of July 1 the coalition will have control of both the Senate and the House of Representatives, meaning they can get legislation passed with much less fuss and bother. I don't think this is quite the slippery slope seen in other major democracies - say, Star Wars episodes 1-3 - but it does leave a fairly gaping legal hole for the government to drive through, leaving the opposition with political publicity as its only defence to a given piece of legislation.

And in conclusion, Zikes, make me a Smilie :)
Old 06-09-2005, 01:26 AM

He he... You bluestockings crack me up.

Anyway, I should point out that Zikes has had some computer troubles as of late, so he might not be able to scare anything up right quick.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 AM

:?

I'm not a girl! And neither's Godfry, dammit. Or the Australian public if that's who the object was in that sentence. Though some Australians - admittedly - are female.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 AM

Oh I was talking about you and godfry. I wasn't really going for the literal, though; it was more of an atmospheric reference.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome