Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 04-02-2016, 07:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Art Re: Neither WAR nor WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
For hundreds of years he was considered the epitome of the intellectual, a man so respected for the nuance and intricacy of his arguments that he was monickered Doctor Subtilis (Subtle Doctor).
wei yau and I would fight for the right to make this hero/villain if this was a few years ago.

:wish:
:wannafight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
You wouldn't have to fight. One of you could take Roger Bacon's title, Doctor Mirabilis (Wondrous Doctor). They even lived about the same time, the second half of the 13th century.
"The Fabulous Doctor BrosOne is a Nobel prize-winning Catholic inventor trapped in a world he never made. The other a hard-bitten tomboy bodyguard in the wrong place at the wrong time.

They fight crime!

DOCTOR BROS!

:brohoof:
Thanks, from:
SR71 (04-02-2016), wei yau (04-02-2016), Zehava (04-02-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Tellifying

Default Re: Neither WAR nor WoW

You have awoken a sleeping giant....

Right after I find the kick off thread/post and figure out just what's going on here
Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

16GB WoW Legion preload is up and trickling in.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
S.Vashti (07-13-2016), Stormlight (08-10-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Wondered what was going on.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

I'm enjoying the shit out of this WoW expansion so far. But I enjoyed the shit out of the last one too, at first.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:20 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:rarrow: :loud: :larrow:

(Nobody is going to be mad if you poste in the wrong thrad.)
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-28-2016), wei yau (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
Adam (09-30-2016), BrotherMan (09-28-2016), curses (09-28-2016), JoeP (09-28-2016), Pan Narrans (09-28-2016), wei yau (09-28-2016), Zehava (09-28-2016)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:26 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

This is Alexa Strong, alias Alexandrea Knight, alias Alexa Antares, alias Olympia. She was initially created from a what if question I asked myself some years ago (appx 2009). I asked myself "self," I says "what if Superman and Wonder Woman got instained with an babby?"

I had likely recently read Kingdom Come. And also, the WBDC machine had recently released the animated Wonder Woman feature. Despite its slightly lower dollar returns, it's p much my favorite of the DCAU.

But seeing as I was playing in a game where infringing on copyright characters no matter how elseworlds they might be is frowned upon, I needed to rekajigger her origin. Which I did. Extending outward, or backwards as the case might be, I wanted to get her to fully fit in the City of Heroes universe. So I went back in time, fake time, to the beginnings of the modern day superheroes of that virtual universe.

Dateline, 1931. Marcus Cole and company discover the Well of the Furies. They do a thing, it causes a thing and there are people with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. That's when I began counting up the number of people I'd need for a fambly tree.

I didn't make them up out of whole cloth, not completely. Also based somewhat on Kingdom Come and other sources, I paired up various Justice League/Society people, and their children and so on, until Alexa is born. The very clever among you should see through my cleverly disguised veil and know who was who.

I'm a little proud of this work I did that no one might ever see. Mostly because I totally nerded out on it. The set of numbers above each name indicates birth order and number of siblings. (For a brief time, I entertained adding other characters I created as extended family, cousins and so forth.) The dates beneath, obviously, indicated birth and death years, and their age at passing. I determined both the years lived and the sibling data with random.org. Trivia: I thought it interesting that the Sentinel's lifespan was the shortest. You know, Batman should likely have the shortest lifespan of all the Leaguers and all. Also not trivia: Cavalliere died the youngest, the only data point that was on purpose.

As I mentioned before, this was shortly after 2009's Wonder Woman animated feature. I wanted to pick a name that might have meant something to my "Wonder Woman" (nee Amazea). Alexa Strong is a combination of a character from the animated movie and the voice actor who, uh, voiced her.

All in all, one of my favorite characters to play, and decidedly one of my more potent characters - at least in nominal PvE environments.

All of this blah blah blah just to say I was excited when the Wonder Woman movie wad announced. I was p thrilled at Gal Gadot's performance in the otherwise not enjoyable Batman v Superman. I am a little giddy at the reviews that are at least positive about it being an actual movie.

I'm hype. And I hope that's okay.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (06-12-2017), wei yau (06-02-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:04 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Very cool, Brotherman
ES and I watched Wonderwoman last night, it was pretty fabulous. Gratuitously beautiful action. It was really good, the WonderWoman movie that we have waited on. I thought it was pretty true to the best parts of wonder woman's mythos. The feminism was often strong in the movie and I really appreciated that.

Last edited by beyelzu; 06-12-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited to switch T to brotherman
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:26 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I mentioned that I was bothered by the use of the word mankind, JD pointed out that it is pretty literally true in the context of Wonder woman and this movie.

Derp on me
Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The only part that chaffed a bit was the context of her parentage. Classic Wonder Woman, and the reboot in the 80s echoed in the 2009 animated say she was modeled from clay and given life and powers from a pantheon of goddesses. The 52 reboot and this movie (I'm not up to speed on the newest Rebirth) use a different origin that I think takes away from the uniqueness of Diana's mythos: Wherein she may or may not be a clay model but another of Zeus' progeny.

The various mentions of how Amazons have been meant to be a foil to or a counter-philosophy for Man's World or mankind has been an integral part of the character since its inception.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

August 30th 2012 ws the announcement date. This is p close to how it felt.

I've spent less time in the creator and Paragon Chat. A little bit of feeling less inspired by things and, well, just time passing. Oft times I do get misty though - especially because of the burgeoned superhero movie/tv things. The Jones/Cage/Defenders shows did a merry jig on that nostalgia button, let me tell you.

I still think about some of my characters (old and new, and new versions of the old) and what they've been up to since, and where they would end up.

Weird how "just a game" became, and in some ways, still is so much an avenue, heh, a city in my head.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-06-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum