Old 09-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: DC Nation

That's a . . . strategically-located speech bubble there Bats.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-20-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 01:27 AM
Tellifying

Gotham. Watching it right now, about halfway through.

I want to like it more than I do. I find Bullock almost interesting, he might be worth exploring further. Gordon is kinda dull, but has the potential for being a badass.

But, the DC fanboy in me is recoiling at all the Bat-villains showing up way too early. Sure, I always figured Penguin was older, but, Catwoman looks like she's got a good ten years on Bats.

And I'm already cringing in anticipation of all the not-so-clever, overly cutesy, Joker hints once the ratings start to drop.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 AM
the internet says I'm right

Everything I've heard about it makes me think I'd hate it for the same reason I hated Smallville - they're trying to fill in the part of the story that usually goes "so then he grew up and nothing superhero-y happened, so now back to the interesting part," and while I'm not opposed to doing that in principle writers are almost always too lazy to make anything new to put there. They just cannibalize all the old stuff and make it all happen inexplicably early. Blech, I'll pass.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-23-2014), Ensign Steve (09-23-2014), Janet (09-23-2014), wei yau (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

It's probably not possible or even feasable to have a show set in Gotham and not have it be about Batman. Even though I really would have preferred not ever getting to see any of the Waynes. Imagine a first season (conservatively just 13 episodes) that ends with the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. We get 12 episodes of what feels almost like Law & Order: Gotham, just add in some DC weirdness, there is certainly enough source material to draw from. Hell, you can start building the conspiracy that leads to the Wayne murders instead of working on it afterwards.

A better and more interesting dovetailing story might be: How one city can make a one cop go bad (Bullock) and another fight harder to keep his morality.

I wish Gotham had a one rule like Smallville did. (Though as Smallville progressed past high school years the one rule made less and less sense.) Gotham's one rule: No bat-villains. No bat-villain nick names to be sure. No nicknames that a bat-villain would use later. Though I might back track a little on account of Cobblepot. It kinda makes sense that one of the kingpins of Gotham had to start somewhere.

What never makes any sense in any of the live action depictions is the actual murder of the Waynes. What super-wealthy well to do family is going to walk down an alleyway? The front door of the theater is right there. You can't tell me that there wouldn't be a line of cabs waiting. And if not cabs then where the hell was Alfred? The modern retellers take Crime Alley too literal. The street where they were murdered was later coined Crime Alley.

The entire bat mythos is entirely too worn. And as Kael said, it already feels too much like Bat-Smallville. I guess that's not much of a curse as that show ran 10 years and did very well. It even has a comic that continues the story. It'll draw new fans or at least entertain people who aren't die hards. Or something. The first episode didn't make it much watch television but I'll probably watch anyway. Just because.

As far as the age difference between the bat and the cat: The actors are 13 and 15, respectively, so I'm just going to stick with that for the canon of this show. But otherwise this strikes me as dubious as forcing Charles Xavier and Raven Darkholme to be adopted (or whatever) siblings in the X-Franchise.

But that's likely just my inner :nerdrage: talking.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (09-23-2014), Zehava (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh. I forgot to talk about it: Get ready for DC Overload on television. You already know about Arrow and Flash. Now there's Gotham. Coming soon is Constantine. And there are rumors and talks floating around about Teen Titans and even Lucifer Morningstar. And all on different channels. CW has Arrow and Flash. Fox has Gotham. NBC has Constantine. TNT is rumored to be looking into Teen Titans. And CBS is thinking about Lucifer.
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-23-2014), wei yau (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 10:00 PM

I cannot tell a lie. I am mostly watching for Sean Pertwee. I loved him in Love, Honour and Obey but have been disappointed in most his roles since. I keep trying in the hopes he'll get another good one. And at least in this he isn't wearing the worst wig ever, like in the recent Poirot he did. I do wonder if, in Alfred, he has finally gotten a role more iconic than his father's best known.

Overall it was pretty mediocre, I thought. The thing that bothered me most was the fake killing of Cobblepot. The writers and the audience know he's going to come back and become much more evil. So it looks like sparing him is a bad thing. I'm getting a little tired of the Batman should really kill everyone second guessing. That kind of bloodthirstiness turns me off.

And to tie everything back together, I got to World War II in Jon Pertwee's memoirs this week. When he was deciding which branch of the army to join he said that being a conscientious objector took the most courage of all. I think that attitude must have been one of the reasons he was such a great Doctor, especially in an era known for his arguments with The Brigadier over the uses of military force.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-23-2014), Ensign Steve (09-30-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Overall it was pretty mediocre, I thought. The thing that bothered me most was the fake killing of Cobblepot. The writers and the audience know he's going to come back and become much more evil. So it looks like sparing him is a bad thing. I'm getting a little tired of the Batman should really kill everyone second guessing. That kind of bloodthirstiness turns me off.
I'm so okay with Batman's One Rule that I didn't even consider that people might think that Gordon should have killed Cobblepot (or, in alternate universes, that Bullock should have and then killed Gordon). My problem with the scene is that no one asked for any kind of verification. Bullock didn't think to (so far as we know) and the people who ordered Bullock to force the issue didn't ask. The (evil) powers that be in Gotham just took it on faith that an honest cop in Gotham would just up and kill someone under the threat of death. Like, in the following days when no body shows up they aren't going to ask Bullock what really happened? I can only imagine it going like this:

Thanks, from:
Janet (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 PM

I just take that as Falcone's over-confidence. He assumes that Gordon only caused trouble because he was new and didn't know how things worked. Now that he has explained it to him, in person which is quite an honor*, naturally he will do as they say. Neither Falcone nor Bullock can imagine him actually refusing to comply after their threats.

*My sister tried to convince me that it was an honor when the don of the Detroit mafia came to the house to personally threaten my grandfather's life. I told her I was sure that grandpa would have preferred not to be honored in that way.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-23-2014), Ensign Steve (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:41 PM

So, I think I'm going to like Gotham. I'm happy with the portrayal of Alfred. It was clear that he was a bit lost at having to raise a child. And having him hamstrung by the stipulations in Thomas Wayne's will was a nice point. In just a few scenes it was made clear how Alfred could let what we know is going to happen, happen, whether he approved or not.

But the other thing I liked this week only didn't catch me when I saw it, but snuck up on me later. At one point Bullock complains to their superior, whose name I didn't catch, that Gordon won't let him beat up a witness. Her response is to tell Gordon that "This is Gotham," and you have to do things that way. It strikes me that her attitude is one reason that Gotham is pretty much okay with Batman. Because beating up and intimidating witnesses for information is the way things are done around there.

Which made me realize that this show is named Gotham and not Gordon for a reason. Basically, they are world building. They are creating a setting Batman will fit into. Right now, I feel like patience will be rewarded when we see this world take shape, so I'm willing to keep watching.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-30-2014), wei yau (09-30-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I don't know that I'm ready to like it just yet. I may get there, but I haven't had the moment yet.

I'm reading reviews and Comics Alliance's had this to say:

Quote:
We’re always so fixated with Bruce’s functioning that we often forget that Alfred, too, lost two very important people in his life in a tragic, sudden way. He could be struggling to keep it together, and we may be witnessing his reactions and attempts to control his emotions. In fact, post-traumatic responses include severe emotional distress when reminded of the trauma, negative feelings about others, difficulty maintaining close relationships, and irritable, angry outbursts. We seem to be seeing these signs in Alfred. If Alfred had prior experiences with PTSD from combat stress, the recent, sudden loss of the Waynes may trigger those feelings of grief, guilt and hopelessness. I’d give credit to the writers for taking it in this direction, giving Alfred some deeper psychological struggles in the wake of the tragedy, but I wonder if his authoritarian caretaking is intended to give way to Bruce and Jim Gordon developing a more therapeutic relationship. Apparently, Gordon has to remain the only nice guy in town.
It's so easy (for me) to think of only the adult Batman and the adult relationships he has as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. I've never really given a second thought to Alfred. He was always just there. And by just there, I mean that ever present shore, a rock upon which stately Wayne Manor sat, the safe place for Bruce to be less Batman and more human. Always an important figure in the story but like any good butler always just out of the spotlight. Smart and compassionate, capable and dependable - willing to do the things that Batman can't do for himself. And through all that, like the review says, I forgot that he lost people that night too. I was a little put off by the gruff and shouty Pennyworth, but this puts it in a perspective that I hadn't considered and can actually appreciate.

That said, there's really no reason not to put that boy in therapy. Except, you know, he has to end up as Batman. He could have ended up being a doctor or psychologist himself, specializing in traumatic psychological issues. You know, maybe even treating the villains instead of beating them up.

But that's not how Gotham works. In Gotham you get bent or you get broke.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-05-2014), Janet (10-02-2014), wei yau (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I don't like Gordon. He's pretty sanctimonious for someone who does allow Bullock to beat people. He shit at/near the penguin which is aggravated assault.

He told his wife he couldn't leak to the press, and, after she did, said that he swore he didn't make the call.

I guess my problem us that he is morally ambiguous but tge show is trying to make him some sort of Boy Scout. I find it jarring.

I'm okay with most if the other stuff and I enjoy the show for the most part.

I guess I do like the world building, but I feel the depth is provided because of comics and movies that have gone before and not the ham handed writers of this series.
BrotherMan (10-02-2014), Janet (10-02-2014), wei yau (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

A sort of difference: The beating Bullock threatened earlier in the episode was against a witness. It's terrible to say, but at least the guy later on was a suspect. I'm not in favor of either being beaten but in a twisted way it looks like Bullock was making progress. Babby steps, bey. Babby steps.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-02-2014), Janet (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 05:16 PM

I thought it was implied that psychiatrists were forbidden by the will. I suspect there are a whole host of trustees who would love power over Bruce's money and are just looking for an excuse to out Alfred. Maybe that's my Shakespeare-geekiness influencing my interpretations. I keep thinking about all the battles by various uncles to control boy kings, culminating in Richard III just killing all the others and then taking power himself. It makes me think Alfred's position is similarly precarious. You have to admit it's odd for a butler to be left to raise the heir to a huge fortune.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I like cobblepot and nigma for different reasons, but overall they are fun for the show.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM

So, I'm watching Billionaire Boy and his Butler last night, which as always has too many interruptions from Boring Cop Procedural and Campy Mob Show. And I'm cheering, literally cheering in my living room, when Bruce, with Alfred's help and approval, beats up a bully. Then they have a conversation where Bruce says it felt good and Alfred tells him it should have, because the bully was bad and wrong.

And I remember something. Hannibal said almost exactly the same thing to Margot Verger last season. For a second, I kind of feel bad about cheering on Alfred for the same sentiment. But then I came to my senses and decided what I want, what I really, really want, is for Alfred to throw out that no shrinks rule and get Bruce the stylish, classy, gourmet psychiatrist he needs.

It's such a shame that crossover will only ever happen in my head.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-13-2014), BrotherMan (11-12-2014), wei yau (11-12-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thanks, from:
Janet (11-13-2014), wei yau (11-13-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The big movie news today: Apparently BvS (which I will never not see as Buffy the Vampire Slayer no matter how many times they try to make it otherwise) is filming the Wayne murders for a flashback scene.

My initial reaction: (~1:43)

But somewhere amidst the articles and etc, I found a link to this which I'd never seen:

Which, all together like that, looks p damn impressive. Besides just regular Batman-fatigue, I'm sure having just seen the first episode of Gotham, is probably part of why I'm just all :gah: Again? about it.
Thanks, from:
Janet (11-14-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 04:31 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

An odd :1111:, wei yau posted a Vader versus DOOM pictures on the facebook and then this shows up on, um, Topless Robot.

:iamdad:

What happens and how it ends aside, I enjoyed the production values and the voice work.
Thanks, from:
Janet (11-26-2014), slimshady2357 (11-26-2014), wei yau (12-12-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 PM

Parking this here so I remember to watch it when I get home. In the Arkham Sessions, a psychologist explains psychiatric disorders through Batman villains. Sounds perfect for me.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-01-2015), JoeP (12-12-2014), Kael (12-12-2014), Sock Puppet (12-12-2014), wei yau (12-12-2014)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

NBC did say they were going to at least finish the run of Constantine. I suppose that's good news, certainly the best news considering the ratings and middling response for the show. Last night's episode was one of the best so far.

It really showed that John isn't the hero type. He's doing this whole fighting evil thing for his own reasons and he'll sacrifice anyone - including himself - to do it. The bad guys hate him. The good guys don't like him. Heck, his friends don't like him. How he gets cooperation from people is the real miracle.

(This is in DCNation because Vertigo.)
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-19-2015), slimshady2357 (01-18-2015), wei yau (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Tonight on Gotham! GET IT!??! HE'S THE RIDDLER!!! YOU KNOW!!!?? THE RIDDLER!?? HE MAY SEEM AWKWARD AND SLIGHTLY MALADJUSTED NOW BUT YOU KNOW WHO HE'S GOING TO BE IN THE FUTURE, RIGHT?!? THE RIDDLER!!!

Fish Mooney's Big Plan™ was to kidnap the girl she sent to Falcone and leverage her to get rid of Falcone. No fucking wonder she's not a big name in Batman's already extensive rogue's gallery. I could sit and watch Jada Pinkett-Smith cheesily chew on scenery all day long, but crap on a cracker that has to be the dumbest plan I ever did read.

She had to have known that he could come loaded for bear, even if she was under the impression that Falcone thought that Liza was in danger. So, not only was the room they met in empty of goons with guns, he brought enough of the right kind of muscle so that any of her goons with guns got taken care of without raising any kind of alarm.

And Falcone isn't exactly the sharpest spatula either. I get that need for some revealy-come-uppance, showing just how behind the 8-ball Fish was, showing her who helped bring her down. But, shit man. You keep your operative on the down low, especially when he's still, you know, on the down-low. Yes, of course, he's not expecting Fish to be long for this world, but there are other people in that room who can still rat Penguin to Maroni. (Who, I think, is now suspicious of Penguin so there's that thrad that is developing.)

And I don't have to say just how pointless it was to even show Babs' face tonight. So what if her parents are cold and distant. That still doesn't improve her as a character. Who could arguably be the best and most important behind the scenes never explored character in just about the whole Bat-verse, in a world that has a lot of interesting women characters already, they have dropped the ball so heartily that I don't know if they can pick it up and make something with it. Yeah, it's still very early, but it feels like it'd just be like putting lipstick on a pig.

:piginablanket:
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-20-2015), wei yau (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Tellifying

Watched so much DC Superhero TV this weekend.

Five episodes of "The Flash", 2 episodes of "Arrow", 1 episode of "Constantine" and 1 episode of "Gotham"

And "The Flash" was easily the best of them all, with "Arrow" and "Constantine" in a tie for second place. "Gotham" continues to be a distant runner-up.

The team-up between Flash and Arrow was an excellent two-parter. There were clearly echoing the Superman/Batman relationship, but with their own flair. Arrow isn't the same liberal hippie he is in the JLU and that took some getting used to for me. However, he feels very much like Batman, which is in line with his comic book origin and his depiction in the animated "Brave and the Bold". Flash, OTOH, is just plain fun to watch. He enjoys having his powers and he doesn't let darkness overwhelm him. That's not to say he's a boy scout, or naive or perpetually cheery. He's just a good guy.

And these days, just plain old good guys are a rarity.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM

Dumbest plan ever? I beg to differ.

Sorry for the poor quality. It was the only one I could find.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-20-2015), Ensign Steve (01-21-2015), Janet (01-22-2015), wei yau (01-20-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Tellifying

The Return of the Rogues on The Flash was so good. This TV show really feels like they've gotten comic book right without condescension. Sometimes it feels like the more comic booky elements of comic book based shows and movies are jettisoned with disdain. As if everything needed to be grounded in "gritty realism". I'm so glad that The Flash doesn't take that approach.

Captain Cold and Heatwave have weapons that simply should not exist. And the Central City Police get help from "magic" technology from STAR Labs. And the final showdown was as if it jumped from the pages of a comic book.

Meanwhile on Arrow, things continue apace. Supposedly the showrunners want to keep this show realistic. I guess "realistic" means no super powers. But, everything else is kosher.

This works for me and I think it works for the show. I liked seeing Arsenal and Diggle in action. It was great how they showed that Arsenal wasn't quite as good as Ollie, but could still get the job done...even if just barely. And I loved how this was *shown* and not just *told*.

Not sure about Laurel as Black Canary. I really liked Sarah so much more and she made much more sense...but I guess this is what it's going to be.

As for Ray Palmer, I recently learned that the writers originally intended for this to be Ted Kord. I wish they stayed with that, because it is a much better fit in terms of comic canon. Also, I love Blue Beetle. I got a feeling they pulled that idea because DC is keen on pushing the Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle instead of poor old Ted.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature