Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 07-16-2004, 02:07 AM
Admin

Default Getting Started With Social Action

Every time I hear about a something like Habitat for Humanity or another interesting social program, I think "I should really find out more about that, maybe get involved". But I never have. I've always cited lack of time, money, energy, or some other resource or ability, but I think the truth is that I've just been too self-absorbed.

So, when the time came to put together this website I thought I'd try to make up for some of that by creating a forum wherein people who are interested in being active in their communities can share resources and find support from other "activists".

So here it is.

I hope I can learn a thing or two about what I can do to become more active in programs that are beneficial to the community I live in, and that others might find the inspiration here to do the same. If this forum takes off and a lot of good resources and tips start pouring in, I'll create a sticky to keep track of them all and provide easy access to the info for all passerby. :)
Old 07-17-2004, 03:45 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: Getting Started With Social Action

It's easier for me to volunteer as part of a group than as an individual. One thing missing, since I moved to Oklahoma four years ago, is belonging to any group. SoI haven't done much in the way of volunteering since moving to Oklahoma four years ago, except for manning the Democratic Party booth at the Tulsa State Fair last September and handing our Howard Dean literature and bumper stickers. But, in Salt Lake City, I did do more volunteer work. I worked in the Salvation Army soup kitchen and on a few Habitat for Humanity projects through the UU church. Through my employer, I did some volunteer work for the United Way. These sort of things are hard for me because I'm not a very social person, nor very outgoing and doing them more didn't help, in fact, it made me dread it even more. So, my contributions to charitable organizations have more or less become primarily monetary.

Warren
Old 07-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Admin

Wow. Well, you've been a lot more active than I have. I can count the number of charities I've worked for on one hand using no fingers. That will change soon, though.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:18 AM
go fish

These days I mostly donate money because I'm a lazy bum and I have more cash than energy/interest. However, I was able to contribute a useful service for over 2 years to a food distribution place without getting caught up in either the politics or the social aspects. 3 days a week, I used my pickup to get the just-expired baked goods from a local Vons supermarket and deliver it to the food bank warehouse. It took about an hour each time and once I was all set up, I didn't have to deal with the gossiping and powerplays of the food bank volunteer staff. (Ok, they tried, really really hard, to get me involved in that stuff, but I resisted.)

It was simple, something really necessary and the right amount of my time. Plus I got a rather perverse pleasure from the odd looks I would get from other shoppers when they would see me wheel 3 full carts of breads, cakes, rolls, bagels, etc. out to my pickup, toss them in large garbage bags that I then tied down to the pickup.

"Uhm... Having a party?"

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law