Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: How's the fucking weather where you are?

Heat index is 114ºF today.

I went outside for like 5 minutes half an hour ago and I still feel too hot. Ugh.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Coffin Creep

It got in the low nineties in Boone today, which happens usually once every few years.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Man, I am broken.

I was just thinking how it's a nice cool day today. It's 95:degrees:F.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-30-2012), SR71 (06-30-2012), Ymir's blood (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Are you guys not, like, on fire? Because I was kind of worried about that.
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-30-2012), lisarea (06-30-2012), SR71 (06-30-2012), Ymir's blood (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 PM

We are not currently, personally on fire at the moment. I'm not, at least. Matlock isn't here, so he might be on fire somewhere.

We live in a fairly populated area, so we're really not at big risk of wildfires reaching us. It has been smokey as all fuck, though; and we're near a small municipal airport, so we have a constant stream of planes heading to one fire or another flying low right over the house every day. We're about 15 miles from the closest big fire right now near Boulder and we're a fair way off from the really scary one in Colorado Springs. We were on standby for some evacuees (one two legged and I think three four legged) from that one, but it looks like they're in the clear now.

It is scary as hell, though. We've had this heat wave and drought, plus we've had a lot of pine beetle damage in the forests, so they're just like kindling. So basically we'll get rainstorms where the actual rain evaporates before it nears the ground, but we still get the lightning.

It's already the worst fire season on record, and the season just started. This summer is gonna suck.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-30-2012), ceptimus (06-30-2012), ChuckF (06-30-2012), curses (06-30-2012), Demimonde (06-30-2012), Qingdai (07-01-2012), Sock Puppet (06-30-2012), SR71 (06-30-2012), vremya (07-03-2012), Watser? (06-29-2012), Ymir's blood (06-29-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Hope the fire moves away. But in case it doesn't I have tips. My brother lives in fire land out in California. Near a national forest that was eaten by those pesky little beetles, and because it was a national forest and/or it's California they couldn't cut the trees down.

In 2007, the Slide Fire came by and cleaned up the dead wood and about 1/4 of the houses in his town. They evacuated for two weeks, but more importantly had a fire evacuation plan in place since the sheriff doesn't give you a whole lot of time when they come knocking.

1) Get your crap together. Anything you want to keep, put in plastic containers stacked near the door. You can buy plastic storage tubs with lids for a couple of dollars and Walmart.

2) Get some clothes and stuff in a suitcase. Buy extra of all the stuff like toothpaste, etc. because you're not going to want to look for your toothbrush when the fire comes bearing down.

3) Be able to fit this stuff into one car (van or SUV means you get to keep more stuff). Try to pack it one day. Then take another car for people/dogs/and any last minute treasures you think of on the way out.

4) States and fire departments put up fire websites so find the links. I tracked the Slide Fire fire for him from over 2000 miles away and feed him information. I was able to get a map of the area, map of the fires, and a live feed of the emergency personel broadcasts as the fire moved to his town. I could hear what street the firefighters were on and look them up on the maps. My work internet was way faster than his hotel internet. Sample of one of the websites I used www.bearvalleynews.com. The US forrest service is a good starting point. Inciweb for Colorado fires

5) Hope your house doesn't burn down. The fire burned down houses in his town to about 2 blocks away from his place. The firefighters were able to stop the fire from moving through town and pushed it back around the edges. Then after it passed they moved to the next town down the road. Repeat as necessary. I sent news footage to him of his town and he was able to determine his house most likely survived based on the neighborhoods they showed that burned or hadn't burned and firefighters working on removing burning logs and trees/spraying foam/etc at a house he recognized.

ETA: It amazes me the number of people who get on the news and say, "We had to run out of the house with nothing", "We lost everything, but we're glad to be alive". Seriously, haven't you noticed the fire on the news or maybe the smoke. You could have saved your pictures, laptops, etc by being somewhat prepared to leave. I guess hope over rides common sense in some people. 2-3 hours of pre-packing could mean saving photos, birth certificates, etc. Sure leave the mattress and toaster. When my brother got the order to evacuate, he was at work. His wife had the stuff almost packed by the time he made it home. A couple of quick trips through the house to find anything that could be shoved in an open space and they were off. They picked one of the 3 routes out of town and were calling hotels on their list based on the direction they ended up driving. They scratched LA off the list of places to stay because, well, the road to LA was closed by a large fire.

Last edited by ImGod; 07-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-02-2012), Qingdai (07-04-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM

On the weather front. Hot and humid. With 60-70% humidity, the heat indexes are in the triple digits in the afternoon, but the high temps are below 100 for now. Today through Thursday 98/98/103/102. The last time it broke 100 I think the heat indexes were around 115.

Then the temperatures should go down as storms roll through and give us a break; if they don't blow our houses down in the process.

But I don't trust the weather people so it will prolly be 105 all month.
SR71 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Coffin Creep

Not that hot this morning but quite humid. We had the parent of all thunderstorms come through last night.
SR71 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Crafty Agitator

98 degrees - it's damn hot out there. Ice cream is sounding like a good thing for dinner.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

It's looking very ominous outside. Like bad thunderstorm ominous. So first the heat kills off my petunias and now the hail can finish off the rest of the flowerbed. I don't know why we Southerners even try with the pretty flowers.
SR71 (07-05-2012), Ymir's blood (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

It's still barely hitting 65º here, so ready to send you all rain and or cool weather.

Also my heat came on this morning.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Crafty Agitator

Still hot here - 83º at 8:30 a.m. :sweaty:

The kittehs are not happy.
SR71 (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
It's still barely hitting 65º here, so ready to send you all rain and or cool weather.

Also my heat came on this morning.
I was trying to find a polite way of saying fuck you, but couldn't think of anything.

Let loose the cool already.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 AM

Actually, I have absolutely nothing to bitch about with the weather, its been just perfect. For the last couple weeks its been mostly sunny and about 20°C - 25°C in the day. We had a couple a little thunder storms hear and there, but nothing worth mention.

...local weather man says its supposed to get unbearably hot this weekend up to 30°C (roughly 85°F). I think i'll survive just fine.
( yes the people up here are actually wimpy enough to think that 85F is unbearably hot)

well, its 10:30 pm and I'm sitting on my back porch watching the sun set as I finish my last beer before heading to bed.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM
puzzler

Weather Warning

Friday 6th July

AMBER WARNING for RAIN

Warm and moist air across large parts of East Anglia, the Midlands, Wales and up to northern England will cause heavy locally thundery rain to develop during Friday and Saturday. 20 to 40mm will fall widely with localised totals of 60 to 80mm. The public should be prepared for disruption to travel. Following recent heavy rainfall, the ground remains saturated, and further rainfall may lead to surface water issues and an increased risk of river flooding.

Valid 0005 Friday to 2359 Friday

:intherain:
Thanks, from:
SR71 (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

We almost had rain yesterday! It rained in Pleasant Prarie, Zion, Waukegan. And petered out before it got to Kenosha. Besides it being 82 humid degrees Fahrenheit at the moment, it was 103 yesterday, and expected to be just as hot today.

Hasen't rained in over a month.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

It's stupidly hot here, 98 high yesterday, 99 today. We've had a couple of thunderstorms lately. The one Wednesday night was big enough to down several trees and knock out power for many neighborhoods. Still, it's so hot that it's being soaked up immediately and the lawns are all still brown.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM

We are supposed to get a four day monsoon with much highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s starting this afternoon.

Everybody pary for this, because we need it. The 4th was one of those days where there's so much smoke everything looks all orange like it's 1974 or some shit. Some mudslides and flash flooding would probably be preferable to just being on fire for three more months straight.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (07-07-2012), Ymir's blood (07-09-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM
The cat that will listen

Today's high will be 110. It's 106 right now. When the baby got flushed in the two minutes that I was putting him in his carseat (which was halfway cooled by the ice pack I put in it when we get out of the car) after storytime at the library, I decided that we can wait to go to the grocery store at night or early tomorrow morning.

I looked like a terrible mother going into Chipotle, though, because I always squirt water over his car seat and head when I put him in his carseat if it is really hot. Since we only drove a couple of blocks, his hair was still wet from that and he was a little flushed and it looked like he had been left in the car to sweat while I did some errands. I felt bad for him, and I knew he wasn't that hot.

Today is the first time that I have felt that it was really hot here, though. Hooray for growing up in the SEUS, I guess.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-10-2012), Janet (07-10-2012), lisarea (07-10-2012), Ymir's blood (07-11-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Quality Contributor

It's still wet and cold here. I half expect to hear "Last Christmas" whenever I turn the radio on. :shudder:
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
puzzler

Still cool and wet here too, but the weathermen are now saying that next week the jet stream will at last assume its 'correct' summer position, blowing north west of the British Isles, and that will herald the start of summer in northern Europe. :woohoo:
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Coffin Creep

The clouds kept it from getting hot yesterday but it was also really really humid. There was a heavy thunderstorm as well. I expect today to be more of the same.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

It's warm here. Expected to hit 100 F today (~38 C)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Coffin Creep

I don't think it's that hot but the humidity is awful.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Apparently I have nothing to worry about.

52˚?! It's fucking alright, and wet.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium