Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
California Sober

Default Re: Hypnopompic and Hypnogogic hallucinations

Well, they do move very quickly.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I used to have these all the time around the age of 16 both hypnogogic and hypnopompic. both would involve sleep paralysis. hypnopompic was probably my more liked of the two, because i was more in a dream state than in hypnogogic. they also were usualy less disturbing than hypnogogic halucinations. im 18 now and haven't really talked about it just because of how bizarre it all was. i felt like no one could understand, some of them were vivid and very disturbing..

ill tell one that happend when i was 16 and is the more strange of the ones i had. this is one of hypnopompic. I woke up in paraylsis and when i broke free i noticed there was pink string hanging everywhere from the ceiling, with paper clips attached to the ends of each string hanging down. I got up and observed even poked one of the paper clips. I left to see if my uncle and cousin were still over but no one was home. i went back into my room and noticed the paper clip and string were all gone. I layed back down in my bed where i immidiatly fell back into paralysis. and once i broke free everything was back to normal.

every thing that happend felt so real, like it actualy did happen, but i was just in the faze of just breaking free from being in paralysis, and entering it again. I have other ones but i dont like to share them.. there just graphic and warped my reality for a while. they ended right at 18 when i started night shifts though. the sudden change of sleep schedual helped cure it and i can fall asleep whenever.
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-23-2010), Ari (04-24-2010), LadyShea (04-23-2010), livius drusus (04-23-2010), Naru (04-23-2010), Stormlight (04-26-2010), Ymir's blood (04-24-2010)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Wow, that paper clip thing is freaky. It reminds me of a recent spate of dreams I had where I kept thinking I was waking up but I walked right into the dream again. There was definitely a paralysis element and a struggle between conscious and unconscious mind. It was very Alice in Wonderland and really, really disturbing. Thanks for bumping this thread.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-23-2010), Ymir's blood (04-24-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM

I went to a sleep study and actualy provoked it to happen which i could do by laying on my back. I knew what triggered them but i never actualy provoked them i tried to avoide them. The sleep study said i fell into my deepest faze of sleep within 3min. i balive the doctor said ur not supposed to hit that point for 90min.. i guess that explains alot lol

Last edited by justsittinghere; 04-24-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 PM

Oh, so that's what happened to me while I was napping this morning. I'd fallen asleep with earphones in while listening to an audio book. In my dream the narrator's voice was bugging me and I kept trying to turn the MP3 player down but it wouldn't respond. Then I tried turning it off but it kept playing. I ripped the earphones from my ears but the sound continued. When I reached up I realized they were still there. I continued to rip the earphones away, over and over, and they continued to still be there. I even turned to a person in my dream and begged them to pull an ear bud out, thinking somehow that surely someone else would have more success. I finally saw the clock on the wall and staring at it gradually brought me out of the dream.

I fairly ripped those earphones out then, I can tell you!
Ensign Steve (04-25-2010), LadyShea (04-25-2010), livius drusus (04-24-2010), Stormlight (04-26-2010)
Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM
California Sober

It's like when you go pee in your dream but you still have to pee after! :lol:
Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Fishy mokey

If you're lucky...
Adam (04-26-2010), BrotherMan (04-27-2010), Crumb (04-26-2010), Ensign Steve (04-25-2010), JoeP (04-26-2010), Sock Puppet (04-26-2010), Stormlight (04-26-2010), wildernesse (04-27-2010), Ymir's blood (04-26-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences