Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Az di bobe volt gehat beytsim volt zi geven mayn zeide !

Default Re: Numbers, how do they work

Forget the "in" and "innovative" approaches (that may or may not "leverage" technology) to getting kids to be comfortable with numbers.

As some have said above, counting objects while drilling the symbolic representation of numbers (so that the kid makes the connection to the real world of the counted objects) is the way to go (unless of course there are brain-based developmental issues and then it's anybody's guess on how to go about it). Humans have an innate ability to detect cardinality...look here

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0AOe73IR74VeBA

and goggle with

innate ability to determine cardinality

for more along similar lines.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-16-2012), SR71 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
OMG, Shea. I know I'm posting in your thrad and everything, but I discourage you from reading this article.

Math can be literally painful.

Quote:
Does the thought of 1+1=ouch?

If you hate math, it might—literally. According to a new study, the mere prospect of a math problem causes pain centers to light up in number-phobic brains.

Researchers at the University of Chicago measured the neural activity of 28 adults—14 who'd been identified with high math anxiety and 14 with low math anxiety. Each subject was given a series of word and math questions (some of which are below) while his or her brain was scanned.

Result: When those in the high-anxiety group saw a math task was coming, their dorso-posterior insulas and mid-cingulate cortexes—the parts of the brain that perceive pain and bodily threats—reacted as if the subject's hand had been burned on a hot stove. Those in the low-anxiety group showed no such response.
The Math! It BURNS!!!! :fuming:
SR71 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Reality Adventurer

I hope that some time in the future people will realize and incorporate into their models of reality that humans are animals. And that they learn the same as any other animal. Neurons are neurons. You can teach a chicken to play the piano using the techniques of operant conditioning, or in the hands of person with a more primitive understanding of learning, accidentally train a person to recoil at the mere thought of 1+1 all the while trying to teach them the value and understanding of that same equation.

Also I might recommend to Lady Shea that she find someone who is more comfortable with math to teach her child, and in the meantime she learn to become comfortable with math before she tries to teach junior.

We are also emotionally perceptive creatures, and junior may pickup LadyShea's discomfort about math and incorporate it into his own psyche even though she is trying her best to avoid it.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

People are indeed animals, and some people do develop a phobia of numbers. It doesn't follow that Kiddo is a chicken or that he is prone to picking up some kind of math aversion pheromone and going all Fire Bad over it.

I am sure that Mr. Shea is perfectly capable of working with Kiddo at his level without recoiling; and I'm also sure that she can work through any number aversion she might have, because she demonstrably has the logical capacity to understand and process math, and because she has consistently busted her ass researching and working on Kiddo's development.

Just from my extremely limited experience, people with number aversion have had bad experiences with mean, punitive teachers who didn't understand the topic well enough to explain it. That's not going to be a problem for Kiddo (at home, anyway).
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (11-16-2012), LadyShea (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Also I might recommend to Lady Shea that she find someone who is more comfortable with math to teach her child, and in the meantime she learn to become comfortable with math before she tries to teach junior.
Hubby does math with him 99% of the time, occasionally I am the only one here though. I do the spelling and reading and grammar homework with him and science and social studies are home based enrichment things because the schools are all :freakout: NCLB Reading scores!!.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Reality Adventurer

Sounds like junior is one lucky kid.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I like math, I just wish I had a better grasp of how things relate to one another.

Like at work today, I needed to work out a thing using algebra, and was thinking it through really hard to create the right formula, while my boss is all "divide x by y and multiply by z" while walking by talking on the fucking phone. He rattles off formulas alla time like that.

So does my husband.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM
cold, heartless bitch

There is an awesome fiction book called The Eight that relates math to chess and to music. Sometimes it just seems like a useless abstract but if you attach it to something you like you get motivated to bond with it.

My accountant says she sucked at math until she found out you could use it to screw the government out of tax money. She's an awesome accountant.

- Albert Camus
Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Trying to find the actual stastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
My accountant says she sucked at math until she found out you could use it to screw the government out of tax money.
But a democratic government is by the people and for the people. :chin: Your accountant was motivated by her desire to cheat her fellow citizens?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
My accountant says she sucked at math until she found out you could use it to screw the government out of tax money.
But a democratic government is by the people and for the people. :chin: Your accountant was motivated by her desire to cheat her fellow citizens?
are you talking about representational democracy or the thing we have today?

- Albert Camus
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Either. Provided your taxes are being used, by and large, to try to make the lives of the poorest of your fellow citizens a little better, avoidance is not screwing an enemy. Rather, in my view, it is screwing your own side.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
cold, heartless bitch

I'd hate to derail this thread by asking if you really think that is true. If you're serious, start a new thread "where do your tax dollars really go?" and give me as your named protagonist.

- Albert Camus
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM

lol Derails are allowed, even encouraged, at :ff: and yes, I really believe that the taxes you pay in the UK are used for the most part for the benefit of people like you.

Last edited by mickthinks; 11-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
cold, heartless bitch

I'm back in Canada now and was present for the referendum that voted against proportional representation. Though I voted for it. They waited until the last month to actually start telling the public what the terminology meant. People voted "no" because they weren't sure what "yes" meant. 1 vote= wasted in much of Canada right now... for mathematical purposes in this thread.

- Albert Camus
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Okay, you pay Canadian tax. Is the picture of how your taxes get spent significantly different from the British one?

1 vote= wasted in much of Canada right now... for mathematical purposes in this thread.

Chuck and I discussed the notion of wasted votes at some length here. I think it's a misconception.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Okay, you pay Canadian tax. Is the picture of how your taxes get spent significantly different from the British one?

1 vote= wasted in much of Canada right now... for mathematical purposes in this thread.

Chuck and I discussed the notion of wasted votes at some length here. I think it's a misconception.
I wasn't in England long enough to appreciate if there is any difference. (temp visa and all) I can only speak as a Canadian and forgot that I joined the forum when I was in the UK. That being said... this isn't going to advance this thread and if you won't start another one on the topic, I will.

- Albert Camus
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I like math, I just wish I had a better grasp of how things relate to one another.

Like at work today, I needed to work out a thing using algebra, and was thinking it through really hard to create the right formula, while my boss is all "divide x by y and multiply by z" while walking by talking on the fucking phone. He rattles off formulas alla time like that.

So does my husband.
Have you looked at Khan Academy?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Roborto

:powershakefist:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-18-2012), Janet (11-16-2012), Pan Narrans (11-17-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall