Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 08-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Quality Contributor

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

Transit - directed by Christian Petzold

A German drama based on 1942 novel by Anna Seghers about a German concentration camp survivor seeking passage to North America in Nazi-occupied France. The movie adapts this story but plays it out today. We are never really told what the political background is, just that refugees are being rounded up by police and taken away. The only way out is with a valid visa.

Brilliant movie.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Attenberg, by Athina Tsangari

Man, I loved this. Tsangari is considered part of the "Greek weird wave," with Yorgos Lanthimos, and has worked with him quite a bit even, but her approach is very different. She touches on some of the same themes sometimes, but she's much less overtly surreal, and much more humanistic.

I was trying to figure out what I like so much about this movie, and I think a lot of it is that she doesn't fabricate over the top drama out of everything. A lot of movies and other media manufacture conflict by blowing simple human interactions way out of proportion, so every little misunderstanding, awkward interaction, or minor disagreement or insult has to lead to some huge dramatic conclusion. As though characters, even close friends and family, are constantly at odds right under the surface. (This is one of the big things I like about Apichatpong Weerasethakul's movies, too.)

Tsangari's other big movie I loved was Chevalier, which takes that theme from a different angle, where the competition and conflict is played for absurdity, and I thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd seen in a while. I probably already recommended it, but I'll recommend it again right now.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-05-2019), Crumb (08-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-06-2019), Stormlight (08-06-2019), The Man (08-06-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM
The cat that will listen

I saw The Farewell this week and it was lovely. I cried and cried and if you had a grandmother you were close to, you probably will, too.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-13-2019), lisarea (08-13-2019), Sock Puppet (08-13-2019), specious_reasons (08-13-2019), Stormlight (08-13-2019), The Man (08-13-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 AM

Barry Lyndon with Ryan O'Neal. It deserved the cinematography Oscar it got. It drags occasionally but mostly is good. I remember the first time I saw it. In the theatre there were a bunch of early teen kids who had been abused. They were seeing it as part of a school event. When Barry Lyndon canes Lord Bullingdon, and Bullingdon says "I will kill you if you ever lay hands on me again." they broke into loud cheers.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (08-18-2019), slimshady2357 (08-18-2019), Sock Puppet (08-19-2019), Stormlight (08-19-2019), The Man (08-18-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Has anyone seen the latest Spiderman movie, Far From Home?

Am thinking about going to see it. Sure it's earned over a billion dollars and holds a 90% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but I trust you guys before all that hype.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Has anyone seen the latest Spiderman movie, Far From Home?

Am thinking about going to see it. Sure it's earned over a billion dollars and holds a 90% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but I trust you guys before all that hype.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:01 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Marvel movies usually reviewed in the Coulson Watches you while you sleep thread.

Start here -- Coulson Watches You While You Sleep - Page 18 - Freethought Forum

:)
Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Attenberg, by Athina Tsangari

Man, I loved this. Tsangari is considered part of the "Greek weird wave," with Yorgos Lanthimos, and has worked with him quite a bit even, but her approach is very different. She touches on some of the same themes sometimes, but she's much less overtly surreal, and much more humanistic.

I was trying to figure out what I like so much about this movie, and I think a lot of it is that she doesn't fabricate over the top drama out of everything. A lot of movies and other media manufacture conflict by blowing simple human interactions way out of proportion, so every little misunderstanding, awkward interaction, or minor disagreement or insult has to lead to some huge dramatic conclusion. As though characters, even close friends and family, are constantly at odds right under the surface. (This is one of the big things I like about Apichatpong Weerasethakul's movies, too.)

Tsangari's other big movie I loved was Chevalier, which takes that theme from a different angle, where the competition and conflict is played for absurdity, and I thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd seen in a while. I probably already recommended it, but I'll recommend it again right now.
So I trusted you and got the DVD. And I agree: brilliant movie! This could have so easily been over-sentimental but it wasn't! And while it's not a Lanthimos movie, he is in it. Which is cool.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:24 AM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Finally saw Rocketman. Good times. :)

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-14-2019), Ensign Steve (09-14-2019), Stormlight (09-16-2019), The Man (09-14-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature